Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think this is dreadfully overrated?

Comments

• MojoWillMojoWill Member Posts: 12

For all those who say "Check the website the Devs say all classes are balanced etc...". Ok, how many devs do you know come out and say "Yeah the graphics are great, our content is second to none..but umm yeah these two classes are op and destroy all others." Seriously... there are plenty of examples in games of an op class, and yet the devs said it was balanced, it would be dumb of them to say anything else.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

Originally posted by MojoWill

Seems like I'm the only one who isn't jumping up and down over this game. It looks decent, but definatly not as great as its made out to be. The classes, do not seem interesting at all, typical jedi/sith, troopers and bounty hunters. Now, everyone wants to be a jedi or sith right? There is the first problem, 90% of the population are going to be jedi or sith, meaning every other class will get neglected so badly. Another problem I have with the game is how over powered are jedi/sith going to be? To OP, and every class will definatly not be played resulting in a fail. Now if the jedi/sith are weakened to much to give other classes a chance, that won't have the Star Wars 'feel" to it at all. It needs a perfect balance but to also still feel like you're in the Star Wars universe. Seems extremely difficult to pull off, and I have strong doubts, that they will. Lastly, it just seems to me like it is a mirror of KOTOR, I understand they are different games and what not, but to me, the differences are'nt big enough to where I'd enjoy this game.

Well...if...um...they seem to be...err...maybe...90% will be even though it's still 9 Months from launch and no one has played anything yet...um...if...

Seriously...How about we wait, actually play the Game, and see what happens...The game will live or die based on it's quality or lack thereof...And that's all there is to that...image

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I'll start by saying I'm a sandbox gamer so SWTOR has a few let downs already for me. I am also not a fan of cartoony graphics for a Star Wars game. Works fine for hero and villain type games but not Star Wars unless you are really into the animated series. Note that I did not not say the graphics were bad and in fact they are good but I dislike the style. The game does have a few good points such as the cover system and combat animations. I haven't been keeping up with the game but last I checked the alien races were quite limited as were character customizations. This is unsat considering the amount of customization MMOs are capable of handling. Poor customization options in character creation equals laziness on the part of the developers in my book. I despise cookie cutter looking characters especially in a game where we are suppose to have the story centered around our character. Voice is always nice. The critters look cool. Worlds appear detailed.

In all I do think the game is hyped a bit beyond what it is delivering. Thats expected. I mean... C'mon. Its Star Wars. You know.... With lightsabers. That and you got the SWG refugees desperate for any Star Wars MMO that is not affilitated with SOE or that guy whose name starts with S. That being said, I still think it will be a good game and has the capacity to make up for any short comings. I'd suggest trying it to anyone who is a Star Wars fan. I'd roll the dice if your a MMO gamer in general looking for a MMO. I'd probably not suggest the game if you are looking for a Sandbox MMO. Unfortunately theres not much I think I can suggest for a Sandbox MMO. I think they are dead and likely won't resurrect until people get tired of the spoonfed style of MMOs.

Oh, and microtransactions are evil. Its true. The voices told me so. @.o

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I think it will be a hit. Looking forward to playing it. Now I do wish that some developer would give the sandboxers a game they can enjoy but I am glad Stars Wars doesn't appear to be one of those devote your life to it to compete games.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

every "brand name" mmo is overhyped theirs always gonna be half that love it and half that hate it doesnt matter what lol the same routine over and over after a few months your gonna start getting people complaining how bad it is it didnt meet their expectations and then the people saying "OMG DIZ IS BEST GAME EVERZ" and the "its ok" lol i blame the internet D: for peoples negativity though!

• endersshadowendersshadow Member Posts: 296

Does this answer your question?  

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566
    Originally posted by Kriosis

Originally posted by DocZ

Originally posted by Thanosxp

hmm maybe a little..  not nearly as overrated as guild wars 2

Why is GW 2 overrated?

On this site how is it not overrated? i never seen a game pushed this hard by a single site that wasnt owned by a game company ever . Most games here vary in rating some .. sometimes there up sometimes there down.. gw has only rose since i been comming here. and the gw fans... the rabit ones anyway are the final nail in the cofin for me every wanting to play that game. Damn i know you like the game but to go on every other forum  and sing its prases while putting all games down is a pain in the ass

GW2 looks fantastically bad anyways, I wouldn't worry about them to much, the new cesspool will keep them occupied.

Really! So all the major gaming sites are wrong and you are right lol. I know you see GW2 as a threat and you really didn't see it coming like most of the blind faith BioWare pupies but it's here.

SWTOR looks dull and BioWare really need to come better if they think the mmorpg gamer who is not a SW nerd or a BioWare puppy will embrace their game.

After all, that's the crowd they really want. People like you they dont need to worry about, they have got your money no matter what lol.

If BioWare served up a plate of the brown stuff you would find some way to convice yourself it was cavier.

GW2 makes SWTOR look ancient and dated. With WOW cat and GW2 how long do you think BioWare will keep it's player base for SWTOR.

Within 3 months i bet it will twindle down to less than 500k while WOW cat and GW2 will be in the millions. After all, both those games are vast in boxes sold and player subs.

In Europe GW or ArenaNet has half it's player base, that's nearly 4 million and nearly another 4million in Asia and other parts of the world.

WOW has vast subs in Asia and many more in the US and the rest of the world.

BioWare and SW are nothing in Asia they really don't get it.

Keep dreaming that GW2 is bad lol.
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Who can say. Only when we play it we will know that for sure. But what has been revealed so far seems pretty standard fare. Outside of the fabled "story" pillar, everything else looks rather sub par. Dated graphics, conventional class & combat system, restricted race and faction system.... nothing really that looked like "thinking out of the box". They stick way too much to the known and proven, IMO. But thats just how I feel about it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Elikal

Who can say. Only when we play it we will know that for sure. But what has been revealed so far seems pretty standard fare. Outside of the fabled "story" pillar, everything else looks rather sub par. Dated graphics, conventional class & combat system, restricted race and faction system.... nothing really that looked like "thinking out of the box". They stick way too much to the known and proven, IMO. But thats just how I feel about it.

Companions, full voice over, space combat(Dissapointing yes but still) , choreographed combat. Shitty graphics just means more people can play it, and there is nothing wrong with convetional mechanics. By your logic I can just say all FPS suck because they all use the same basic mechanic. And trust me when I say this, IP and Story are more important they you could ever know. Just look at WoW, Halo, and a slur of other games.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    its overrated b/c there is nothing worth playing right now so ppl are all waiting for new mmo.
  • DocZDocZ Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by NightAngell

Why is GW 2 overrated?

On this site how is it not overrated? i never seen a game pushed this hard by a single site that wasnt owned by a game company ever . Most games here vary in rating some .. sometimes there up sometimes there down.. gw has only rose since i been comming here. and the gw fans... the rabit ones anyway are the final nail in the cofin for me every wanting to play that game. Damn i know you like the game but to go on every other forum  and sing its prases while putting all games down is a pain in the ass

GW2 looks fantastically bad anyways, I wouldn't worry about them to much, the new cesspool will keep them occupied.

Really! So all the major gaming sites are wrong and you are right lol. I know you see GW2 as a threat and you really didn't see it coming like most of the blind faith BioWare pupies but it's here. SWTOR looks dull and BioWare really need to come better if they think the mmorpg gamer who is not a SW nerd or a BioWare puppy will embrace their game. After all, that's the crowd they really want. People like you they dont need to worry about, they have got your money no matter what lol. If BioWare served up a plate of the brown stuff you would find some way to convice yourself it was cavier. GW2 makes SWTOR look ancient and dated. With WOW cat and GW2 how long do you think BioWare will keep it's player base for SWTOR. Within 3 months i bet it will twindle down to less than 500k while WOW cat and GW2 will be in the millions. After all, both those games are vast in boxes sold and player subs. In Europe GW or ArenaNet has half it's player base, that's nearly 4 million and nearly another 4million in Asia and other parts of the world. WOW has vast subs in Asia and many more in the US and the rest of the world. BioWare and SW are nothing in Asia they really don't get it. Keep dreaming that GW2 is bad lol.

LOl i love these arguments they had the same thing when GW 1 came out same rabid fanboys  waiting for there savior to appear and then got nothing to impressive . GW 1 was supposed to be the wow killer, the second comming of the eq/uo age the new age of gaming . now after years on the market  it doesnt draw to much more attention than your standard top level f2p game. Well now you have your second comming of the second comming.. i guess its gonna do double nothing..whats that equal again?

I challenged my reflection to a staring contest....4 days later i won

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Sigh. Stupid contests about games every time, like little children yelling "my toy car is bigger than yours, and my dad is better than yours and if you don't believe then I will go to my dad and get him and then he will kick your dad's ass and and..."

Really.

A few comments:

- GW came out only a few months after WoW, it's a bit strange to say ppl were looking forward to a WoW killer when WoW was only out for a few months.

- what people keep forgetting is that GW2 will be B2P, meaning ppl won't feel as guilty or hesitant to just keep a sub for another MMORPG to their liking running next to GW2.

- Personally I think both games will do well, the companies that are making SW:TOR and GW2 are solid, very capable ones.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566
    I

Why is GW 2 overrated?

Really! So all the major gaming sites are wrong and you are right lol. I know you see GW2 as a threat and you really didn't see it coming like most of the blind faith BioWare pupies but it's here. SWTOR lookus dull and BioWare really need to come better if they think the mmorpg gamer who is not a SW nerd or a BioWare puppy will embrace their game. After all, that's the crowd they really want. People like you they dont need to worry about, they have got your money no matter what lol. If BioWare served up a plate of the brown stuff you would find some way to convice yourself it was cavier. GW2 makes SWTOR look ancient and dated. With WOW cat and GW2 how long do you think BioWare will keep it's player base for SWTOR. Within 3 months i bet it will twindle down to less than 500k while WOW cat and GW2 will be in the millions. After all, both those games are vast in boxes sold and player subs. In Europe GW or ArenaNet has half it's player base, that's nearly 4 million and nearly another 4million in Asia and other parts of the world. WOW has vast subs in Asia and many more in the US and the rest of the world. BioWare and SW are nothing in Asia they really don't get it. Keep dreaming that GW2 is bad lol.

LOl i love these arguments they had the same thing when GW 1 came out same rabid fanboys  waiting for there savior to appear and then got nothing to impressive . GW 1 was supposed to be the wow killer, the second comming of the eq/uo age the new age of gaming . now after years on the market  it doesnt draw to much more attention than your standard top level f2p game. Well now you have your second comming of the second comming.. i guess its gonna do double nothing..whats that equal again?

Really! Link me a quote from an ArenaNet dev saying that GW was going to be the WOW killer, you can't

GW2 does not need to be a WOW killer, it has a vast fanbase of just under 7 million. What you should be thinking about is your SWTOR and how BioWare are in the process of killing before it's even out.

A year ago it was SWTOR on top of all the main gaming sites charts, now it's GW2. While BioaWare were running their gobs and telling us that every mmorpg has been a waste of time and anyone who has played them had no fun, lol cant you believe the arrogance.

Now a year later your dev team are still churning out the same boring vids and still spouting on about story.

Ask a question and you get the same pathetic reply of "we have that but we can't talk about it' how freaking predictable.

Why do you think many of the gaming pro who go to these convention have moved away from BioWare hand hoked in on ArenaNet.

Be honest with yourself and admit that you really feel bitter towards GW2, that game was not meant to steal the limelight it should be SWTOR.

BioWare do not understand the mmorpg community, they think they can treat them the same as their normal fanbase. This is why you see SWTOR slipping down the ranks on a mmorpg game site because the mmorpg gamer who just wants a good mmorpg no matter who the devs are is not falling for BioWare hype train.

ArenaNet have come with the goods so far,they have shown us what they have been shouting about these pass months.

You will play GW2, i bet on it.....
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I didn't care for how the space combat looked but everything else looked fine to me. It isn't overrated, its Star Wars.

• candycoatedcandycoated Member Posts: 86

Overated they should have just stuck to KOTOR every body wants a piece of the wow money

• PriestrPriestr Member Posts: 39

Im not really a star wars nerd, but swtor is a story based mmorpg, and even if every pther aspect is more standard then inventional, i dont care! i played it at gamescom for about 45 minutes and i had fun playing it, even in the low level section, and who cares if its going to lose against wow cat, gw2, rift or what not, as long as every subscriber has fun playing it, let them have fun!!!!! everyone has their own likes and dislikes, so WHO CARES?

Playing: Global Agenda / Vindictus
    -----------------
    Excited for: Guild Wars 2 / TERA / SWTOR
    -----------------
    Have Played: Ultima Online, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings Online, Vanguard, CoH/CoV, EverQuest 1+2, Tabula Rasa, DDO, The Chronical of Spellborn, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Champions Online, Aion, FLYFF, ArchLord, Metin 2, DAoC, APB, CC, Darkfall and many many more
    -----------------
    Favorite MMO: Ultima Online

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by SaintViktor

I didn't care for how the space combat looked but everything else looked fine to me. It isn't overrated, its Star Wars.

Wouldn't that be precisiely why it would be overated... everything about star wars is overated.

Anyway this game really isn't overated you should look at the swtor forums, this game has 4 maybe 5 times as many whiners in proportion to it's community compared to gw2. There's a heck of a lot of fans that aren't happy about Bioware's direction. There's just a general feeling of displeasement over there.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Why is GW 2 overrated?

Really! So all the major gaming sites are wrong and you are right lol. I know you see GW2 as a threat and you really didn't see it coming like most of the blind faith BioWare pupies but it's here. SWTOR looks dull and BioWare really need to come better if they think the mmorpg gamer who is not a SW nerd or a BioWare puppy will embrace their game. After all, that's the crowd they really want. People like you they dont need to worry about, they have got your money no matter what lol. If BioWare served up a plate of the brown stuff you would find some way to convice yourself it was cavier. GW2 makes SWTOR look ancient and dated. With WOW cat and GW2 how long do you think BioWare will keep it's player base for SWTOR. Within 3 months i bet it will twindle down to less than 500k while WOW cat and GW2 will be in the millions. After all, both those games are vast in boxes sold and player subs. In Europe GW or ArenaNet has half it's player base, that's nearly 4 million and nearly another 4million in Asia and other parts of the world. WOW has vast subs in Asia and many more in the US and the rest of the world. BioWare and SW are nothing in Asia they really don't get it. Keep dreaming that GW2 is bad lol.

If any game is overrated its GW2. A few videos of gameplay and suddenly its the best thing since sliced bread. Not saying the game will be bad but honestly, it is getting insanely over-hyped and i have a feeling people are going to be pretty let down. Also you can't be sure of numbers for GW1. There is no sub, its impossible to tell how many are playing it actively right now.

TOR will be a hit and survive. I've never been let down by one of their RPG's so far and if they can put their usual amazing story telling into an MMO it will only be a good thing. As for the other features that make an MMO it sounds like theres plenty of stuff to do on the side. PvP, craft, space, exploration and Flashpoints. Graphics wise i don't mind the approach. WoW isn't good but the art design makes up for it and dispite its ugly texture quality its still very playable. TOR has the art design in the bag, the scenary looks great and very detailed.

Some do overrate the game, its to be expected. For some this game is something they have been waiting for ever since KOTOR1. Its hard not to overrate the game, Its bioware and star wars together again. Last time that happened you ended up with one of the greatest RPG's ever. They could very well do the same in the MMO department.

• flamestaflamesta Member Posts: 2

I believe that this game will succeed for one reason, and one reason only... Its made by Bioware and they know what theyre doing.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I

Why is GW 2 overrated?

Really! So all the major gaming sites are wrong and you are right lol. I know you see GW2 as a threat and you really didn't see it coming like most of the blind faith BioWare pupies but it's here. SWTOR lookus dull and BioWare really need to come better if they think the mmorpg gamer who is not a SW nerd or a BioWare puppy will embrace their game. After all, that's the crowd they really want. People like you they dont need to worry about, they have got your money no matter what lol. If BioWare served up a plate of the brown stuff you would find some way to convice yourself it was cavier. GW2 makes SWTOR look ancient and dated. With WOW cat and GW2 how long do you think BioWare will keep it's player base for SWTOR. Within 3 months i bet it will twindle down to less than 500k while WOW cat and GW2 will be in the millions. After all, both those games are vast in boxes sold and player subs. In Europe GW or ArenaNet has half it's player base, that's nearly 4 million and nearly another 4million in Asia and other parts of the world. WOW has vast subs in Asia and many more in the US and the rest of the world. BioWare and SW are nothing in Asia they really don't get it. Keep dreaming that GW2 is bad lol.

Really! Link me a quote from an ArenaNet dev saying that GW was going to be the WOW killer, you can't GW2 does not need to be a WOW killer, it has a vast fanbase of just under 7 million. What you should be thinking about is your SWTOR and how BioWare are in the process of killing before it's even out. A year ago it was SWTOR on top of all the main gaming sites charts, now it's GW2. While BioaWare were running their gobs and telling us that every mmorpg has been a waste of time and anyone who has played them had no fun, lol cant you believe the arrogance. Now a year later your dev team are still churning out the same boring vids and still spouting on about story. Ask a question and you get the same pathetic reply of "we have that but we can't talk about it' how freaking predictable. Why do you think many of the gaming pro who go to these convention have moved away from BioWare hand hoked in on ArenaNet. Be honest with yourself and admit that you really feel bitter towards GW2, that game was not meant to steal the limelight it should be SWTOR. BioWare do not understand the mmorpg community, they think they can treat them the same as their normal fanbase. This is why you see SWTOR slipping down the ranks on a mmorpg game site because the mmorpg gamer who just wants a good mmorpg no matter who the devs are is not falling for BioWare hype train. ArenaNet have come with the goods so far,they have shown us what they have been shouting about these pass months. You will play GW2, i bet on it.....

A fanbase of 7 million?  Where did you get those numbers?  Guildwars 1 doesn't have anything near 7 million fans.  If BioWare created their game just for BioWare and Star Wars fans, they'll be set for a very long while.  I'm not worried about TOR or their retention rate, I have no doubts the game will stay strong, and there is nothing currently proven that would dictate otherwise.   Likewise with GuildWars2.  

I'd also venture a guess that you know very little about what BioWare understands if you believe they don't know what they are doing with creating their MMO.  They've outlined their team, their accomplishments and their plans many times,  and all signs point to them understanding their fanbase very well.

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by Warband

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Wouldn't that be precisiely why it would be overated... everything about star wars is overated.

Anyway this game really isn't overated you should look at the swtor forums, this game has 4 maybe 5 times as many whiners in proportion to it's community compared to gw2. There's a heck of a lot of fans that aren't happy about Bioware's direction. There's just a general feeling of displeasement over there.

SWTOR has 5-6 times more people going to its website.

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/swtor.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/guildwarsguru.com

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

People like to bitch. The more people you have interested in a game the more people who are going to find fault with it. The complainers are always going to be your most vocal majority in a forum because they are the one's who really want the game to be the best thing ever and can't get over the fact that it isn't perfect in their own perspective. That's why IPs with such a huge following as Star Wars generally don't do well as MMOs. Too many people with too many expectations and the ones who complain about the game the most, the ones with the most unrealistic expectations, drive the developers to change it, which drives away those who liked it as it was. *cough* NGE.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Given the fact it's not actually out...... overhyped maybe, but not overrated.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by MojoWill

Seems like I'm the only one who isn't jumping up and down over this game. It looks decent, but definatly not as great as its made out to be. The classes, do not seem interesting at all, typical jedi/sith, troopers and bounty hunters. Now, everyone wants to be a jedi or sith right? There is the first problem, 90% of the population are going to be jedi or sith, meaning every other class will get neglected so badly. Another problem I have with the game is how over powered are jedi/sith going to be? To OP, and every class will definatly not be played resulting in a fail. Now if the jedi/sith are weakened to much to give other classes a chance, that won't have the Star Wars 'feel" to it at all. It needs a perfect balance but to also still feel like you're in the Star Wars universe. Seems extremely difficult to pull off, and I have strong doubts, that they will. Lastly, it just seems to me like it is a mirror of KOTOR, I understand they are different games and what not, but to me, the differences are'nt big enough to where I'd enjoy this game.

If it seems to you you are the only one down on this game you must not come to mmorpg very often then because there are as many people viewing this game with skepticism as excitment.  Having said that the game hasn't been released so it can't be "overrated" since it hasn't been rated.  Hype is totally different it's the companies job to hype the game if they want it to sell and as far as the community goes?  What's the point of being down on the community because they are excited about something?

I for one recall the excitment about STO and while I new I would play it I also had a pretty good idea the good feelings wouldn't last long but I don't think of it as a reason to rain on anyones parade so I left well enough alone.

As far as TOR goes I'm very excited for the game with Bioware being my favorite rpg dev and Star Wars being my favorite ip and I don't know that anything short of playing the game will temper that, but that doesn't speak to whether the mmo community will accept the game or not but as stated I think the fact that it is an mmo is one of the most insignificant factors to me.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Originally posted by Erstok

Whole Star Wars universe died back after all the new series came out from EP1 to now. Honestly you want a SWG Pre-CU experience you're better off waiting for the emulator to release.

Honestly you're better off waiting and trying it to judge for yourself above taking anyone's advice on this site.

Precisely