Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Red 5 Studios Finally Reveals Its MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red 5 Studios has been working on an unnamed title for several years and have finally revealed the name and type of MMO it will be. The game is an action, team-based shooter called Firefall. Firefall will be a free-to-play title with a microtransaction system in place for players choosing to utilize it. According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world combining intense competitive multiplayer and large-scale cooperative gameplay."

Two of Red 5's 'big name' developers are former World of Warcraft team lead Mark Kern and Tribes lead designer Scott Youngblood.

CEO and Chief Creative Officer Mark Kern, a former team lead for World of Warcraft, says the project is a result of wanting to do something radically different. "I wanted to take the best of what I learned making online games and bring that to skill-based shooters,"he says.

Read more at Gamasutra.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

Not bad looking imho. Will prolly keep an eye out for it

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Looks pretty unimpressive to me, another generic lobby based shooter perhaps?  If that's the case, it's going to fail just like all the other ones that have come before it.  Even if it's not a lobby based game, that game play didn't seem to offer anything all that interesting.  It's like...  Tribes and Borderlands together, that's...  Cool, I guess?

I like to complain about games.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Looks like s lot of fun, lets see how it turns out in operation.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

The video at the link was VERY impressive.  I'm definitely keeping an eye on this one.  (assuming the cash shop doesn't suck bawls)

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Competitive multiplayer and microtransactions in the same sentence? Okay...

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Wow, anymore I feel like nobody wants me to play their games =/

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

That looks...really awesome.

• pHaTmAtpHaTmAt Member Posts: 8

Simply looks amazing.

I'm afraid of the microtransactions model though.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

looks good

• shamallshamall Member CommonPosts: 516

Originally posted by Ridrith

Looks pretty unimpressive to me, another generic lobby based shooter perhaps?  If that's the case, it's going to fail just like all the other ones that have come before it.  Even if it's not a lobby based game, that game play didn't seem to offer anything all that interesting.  It's like...  Tribes and Borderlands together, that's...  Cool, I guess?

I don't know where you got the idea it might be lobby based. That looked pretty much like an open world to me during the fly over with the ship. You could see that a lot of action was happening on the ground. I was impressed at how the "Chosen" or what ever they are called were attacking the town and think that is something alot of current mmos are missing.

I just hope they can get a good balance between mmo and fps. Tired of these games comming out with good fps combat but shallow mmo leveling systems or vice versa.

The Brave Do Not Fear The Grave

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

Pretty impressive. Nice visuals and the action looks fun. As long as it has good character customization and progression it could be awesome. 

Someone called it a lobby game, but it certainly looked open world to me based on the flyover.

I'll keep my eye on this one.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Yay.

Battlefield 2 with a larger world map.

PvP centric, yet it has a cash shop.

And I highly doubt there will be anything close to resembling "rpg" for them to tack on to the end of their "mmo", but it will be listed here just like every other non-mmorpg on this site.

Color me unimpressed.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To bad its a micro transaction based game,   In one door and out the other.  Oh well I putting my thoughts on rift.

• MNZebaMNZeba Member Posts: 254

OMG Scott Youngblood from TRIBES. Tribes is my all time favorite multiplayer shooter game ever. There is no other shooter game like it. I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156

Tribes was awesome and ahead of its time, of course just because he worked on tribes doesn't mean the game will be tribes redux... but one can always hope right up until the soul crushing beta starts.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Yay.

And I highly doubt there will be anything close to resembling "rpg" for them to tack on to the end of their "mmo", but it will be listed here just like every other non-mmorpg on this site.

Color me unimpressed.

Yeah, don't forget to throw in a vague hint of TF2 with the artistic style too.

Honestly, Global Agenda will be a hell of a lot cheaper overall, considering its just buy-to-play... and thats what I'll play loooong before I play this...

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Graphic look crappy but man... just seeing the fight in the town just gave me the itch to play haha. It's more fun when you're no where safe... Now just add pvp to this and you got a damn nice gameplay game.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by bingo69

Graphic look crappy but man... just seeing the fight in the town just gave me the itch to play haha. It's more fun when you're no where safe... Now just add pvp to this and you got a damn nice gameplay game.

You also nich the game from the start. Especially if its forced PvP.  Lets see how this works out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195

Originally posted by Wraithone

You also nich the game from the start. Especially if its forced PvP.  Lets see how this works out.

Alright, I'm confuse on the word "nich" ahha I've heard it alot but wtf does it mean :P

Alright, I'm confuse on the word "nich" ahha I've heard it alot but wtf does it mean :P

niche refers to only appeling to certain players and their playstyles like Darkfall for example is to those that enjoy full loot non faction based pvp type of game. 

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

A "niche" game is one where it is made for a very small portion of the market. WoW is not a niche game, while Darkfall is an extremely niche game, for example.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by Cursedsei

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Yay.

Color me unimpressed.

Yeah, don't forget to throw in a vague hint of TF2 with the artistic style too.

Honestly, Global Agenda will be a hell of a lot cheaper overall, considering its just buy-to-play... and thats what I'll play loooong before I play this...

It all depends on what is sold in the cash shop if its just stuff like cosmetics and xp items and pots I dont see a problem.In case you didnt know Global Agenda is beyond b2p now they are selling double xp and token boost packs now in 10,30 and 90 day time increments, of which the 30 day ones are 15 dollars.http://www.massively.com/2010/09/03/doubling-season-comes-to-global-agenda/

Imo I dont really care for GA this looks more interesting to me but hey to each his ownimage

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

How is this a MMO though? looks to be only a Online Shooter.

Feel me in please.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

How is this a MMO though? looks to be only a Online Shooter.

Feel me in please.

" According to devs, the game will "thrust hundreds of players together into a lush, dynamic open world combining intense competitive multiplayer and large-scale cooperative gameplay." "

In case you didnt bother to read the article.Seems to be mmo enough for me it all remains to be seen tho.