Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I was actually acting kind of gitterish ,as if i couldn't wait to get in and play,i was looking forward to this game.

As soon as i entered the game,my head dropped,i gave out a gasp of dissapointment.The game instantly reminded me of any of the latest 3 FF console games.

I would say it is a good thing to spend time and money on cutscenes,but i actually want to play the game and feel part of the world.Instead of feeling part of the world ,i felt like i was drawn into a linear console game that is telling me what and where to  go and i have no choice in the matter.Some doors don't move,game won't let me enter certain areas,i was thinking that there is no way the same people that made FFXI are involved in this debacle.

You click an NPC and only a few have voice overs and you cannot just walk away from a conversation,you have to actually exit from the menu at least in most cases.

You start off with the well known Gobbue,of course the graphics ar nice,the sound effects are cool,but it is a linear cutscene,i have no realistic bearing on the opening scene what so ever.This so called ferocious beast literally walks right through me [another pet peeve] like i wasn't even there,yet we are to beleive he is some threatening beast to the villagers.

I have not felt this same urge to leave/exit from a game so early on in quite some time,i was just badly dissappointed.I only played about an hour,and i already lost interest,it will be VERY hard for me to go back in and try more of the game,but i can already see it has that exact same linear/console/single player game feeling that turned me off in FFXIII.This game is all about better graphics and cinematics,but it totally misses the design of a realistic MMORPG world,it all feels generic.

Sad day for me,now i guess i will have to wait for some other title to catch my interest.The worst part is that i had some convictions about this game but had hoped to be surprised,however once i entered it was like far worse than i had imagined.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

I don't find it to be even remotely similar to FFXIII, in fact I find it to be quite refreshing.

To each there own, different strokes and all that, hope you have fun in whatever other game(s) you play :)

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Ouch!

At least it didn't cost you any real money to find out that this game is most likely not for you.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

yeah, sorry this game isn't your cup of tea. I love it personally as I loved FFXI. To me this feels exactly like FFXI did, minus the 8 years of content/polish lol.

Comparing this to the console games though....NO WAY. Apart from the initial cutscene and small battle tutorial, which isn't that hard to suspend belief on, heck we did it as kids, do it again, you are pretty free to just go off and explore, kill mobs, etc. without being "forced" to enter a cutscene unwillingly. So the linear aspect, isn't as strong as you describe it.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Kost

I don't find it to be even remotely similar to FFXIII, in fact I find it to be quite refreshing.

To each there own, different strokes and all that, hope you have fun in whatever other game(s) you play :)

Ditto, I think some people are just incapable of playing games anymore its a shame. The dissapointment posts this site seems to be able to generate on any Beta or released game is surprising to the extent where it appears so false.

I also wish the OP best wishes on his crusade... to find something anew.

• doowacdoowac Member Posts: 1

remeber it is beta after all

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by doowac

remeber it is beta after all

This is pretty much what will release :) But with more content and areas enabled.

The OP is misrepresenting and providing a very narrow viewpoint i.e. his opinion. It has nothing to do with Beta.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I don't understand how it's linear too.

Your "forced" to go cutscene after cutscene until you get the npc linkshell then you can wander outside if you want to no one stops you from doing it but if you continue a little forward the npc will give you an example of a leave when you reach the camp.

Continuing the story quest will only provide you money and knowing more on the town/story there's nothing forcing you to keep on going now.

Also some zones are closed because SE didn't open all zones in open beta they will open them when it launches I think so that people don't see everything about the game in open beta.

• MajistycMajistyc Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by Kost

Ditto, I think some people are just incapable of playing games anymore its a shame. The dissapointment posts this site seems to be able to generate on any Beta or released game is surprising to the extent where it appears so false.

I also wish the OP best wishes on his crusade... to find something anew.

I agree with you.  It seems that so many people have pre-conceived ideas about how a game is supposed to play and if they try it and it doesn't play exactly like they expect they declare it to be a lousy game and give up. 

I just started playing the OB today (my first FF game) and I think it's great so far.  Challenging in that it isn't exactly like every other MMO but I think that's a good thing.  And I've been able to figure out most things on my own.  I just downloaded the manual in case I run into problems but figuring out how it works is part of the fun, imo.  It's fun and looks great!

• BerryPieBerryPie Member Posts: 17

That is odd. For you the game felt like it was holding your hand but there are so many others complaining that there is no tutorial or that they are completely lost.

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177

i never had big expectations from this game, it seems all has been proven in the ob

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Originally posted by BerryPie

That is odd. For you the game felt like it was holding your hand but there are so many others complaining that there is no tutorial or that they are completely lost.

Indeed! I don't know how anyone could say it holds your hand when I'm completely and utterly lost and don't understand anything that's going on as far as combat and leves and all that stuff. There is nothing tell you want anything is/does.