Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40K: Dark Millennium Online: Tim Campbell Interview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Garrett Fuller recently caught up with Warhammer 40K: Dark Millenium executive producer Tim Campbell to ask him a few questions about the game that, up to now, has been shrouded in mystery. Recently devs have been opening up about the game and we wanted to give our readers information about factions, combat, Tech Priests and a whole lot more. You won't want to miss this one!

In the new trailer you talk about the Imperium of Man. Can you tell us how the Space Marines and Imperial Guard will work together?

The Imperium of Man is drawn to the Sargos Sector because of a significant disturbance in the Warp that jeopardizes a rich mining world. We are not ready to disclose any further details yet around the circumstances, but rest assured that we are working on something that is truly epic and will deliver on the expectations of the Warhammer 40,000 fan base.

Read more of our exclusive Tim Campbell interview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JT1228JT1228 Member Posts: 23

You should have asked why they are being lazy and only having 2 factions.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    They prolly left it out on purpose so you would have something to complain about.

But i agree... it will have t be one hell of a good plot to explain it.

Also...

/fanboi Geif Dark Angels nao cuz iz my bezt army...

Bloody black templars... only reason they exists is because they needed a quick paint scheme that was not uni-color and the fact the solid black looks shit in publications.

This have been a good conversation

• SabrelSabrel Member UncommonPosts: 41

I love the arrogance in the way the two faction question is answered...

The more the people at Vigil talk, the less interested in the game I get.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

more than 2 factions only works in DAOC.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Black Templars probably do make the most sense for a Space Marine Chapter for PC's. Aren't they the ones that have a somewhat ad-hoc organizational structure based on "crusades", that function somewhat independantly of each other... and tend to deploy in smaller sized units?

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Please, PLEASE don't give us some forced "good guys vs bad guys"!  40k is so much more complex than that...

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• LaurannLaurann Member UncommonPosts: 47

2 factions? Lets explain away 20+ years of 40k lore because its too hard to create content, AND we are only in it to capitolize on the IP and make a bunch of coin we THINK we are going to grab from wow players...

Give me a freekin break.

[Mod Edit]

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Somehow I am not being optimistic, I expect another bland MMO like WAR or AoC turned out to be.

• RamaelRamael Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by quotheraving

To everyone arguing that the 2 faction set up is totally against the 40k lore please remember that it was used by GW themselves in the Eye of Terror global campaign... the sides were Order and Disorder:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Eye_of_Terror_campaign

So 2 factions can work in the lore, the question is how will it be implemented...

Now I'm guessing you assume  it'll be in a crappy Wow style -(Space marine runs into an Eldar fortress, gets a quest from a Warlock, learns a new skill from a Marine that just happens to be there and trades for a nice new bolter )- way, but that doesn't need to be the case... and as we don't have anymore details yet beyond "There will be 2 factions" it's a little soon to judge.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles also uses Order and Destruction in its most recent core rules, as part of the team-play systems. Like it or not, that particular concept has Games Workshop written all over it.

And, coincidentally, so does Warhammer.

• HersaintHersaint Member UncommonPosts: 366

This made me snicker:
    "How could they not when Games Workshop is closely working with us on making sure that the game stays true to the lore and the IP."

I think he's blaming GW for a boring order vs destruction themed game.

"Who could argue with that order vs chaos two sided conflict? That for certain guarnetees success, right?"

Im still smiling.

Originally posted by Ramael

To everyone arguing that the 2 faction set up is totally against the 40k lore please remember that it was used by GW themselves in the Eye of Terror global campaign... the sides were Order and Disorder:

So 2 factions can work in the lore, the question is how will it be implemented...

Now I'm guessing you assume  it'll be in a crappy Wow style -(Space marine runs into an Eldar fortress, gets a quest from a Warlock, learns a new skill from a Marine that just happens to be there and trades for a nice new bolter )- way, but that doesn't need to be the case... and as we don't have anymore details yet beyond "There will be 2 factions" it's a little soon to judge.

Warhammer Fantasy Battles also uses Order and Destruction in its most recent core rules, as part of the team-play systems. Like it or not, that particular concept has Games Workshop written all over it.

The Empire of Warhammer Fantasy is not the Imperium of WH40k. The Imperium has turned hatred of Xenos (aliens) into part of their religion. There's an entire order of the Inquisition specifically dedicated to exterminating any and all alien influences. About the only thing stronger than Imperial hatred of aliens is their hatred of Chaos.

There are certainly instances that will get humans working with certain aliens, so there are ways that the two faction could work, if they limit which races are playable at all. Chaos or Tyranid invasions can inspire some cooperation with the Eldar, even though both sides will spend the whole time waiting for an opportunity to backstab the other and come out the sole survivor. So if their 2 factions are humans and Eldar versus something like Chaos and Orks (because Chaos gets Orks to do their dirty work all the time, and all Orks care about is a good fight, with the reason being practically irrelevant), I could see that working, provided they make enough reference to the intra-faction tension.

Chaos and Dark Eldar could work  too, since they both are affiliated with the Ruinous Powers to a degree.

I didn't get the chance to play in Eye of Terror, so I'm a bit rusty on the lore there. Did they actually have a reason why the Necrons would be on the "side" of Chaos when the Warp is anathema to them?

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

Originally posted by Sabrel

The Empire of Warhammer Fantasy is not the Imperium of WH40k. The Imperium has turned hatred of Xenos (aliens) into part of their religion. There's an entire order of the Inquisition specifically dedicated to exterminating any and all alien influences. About the only thing stronger than Imperial hatred of aliens is their hatred of Chaos.

There are certainly instances that will get humans working with certain aliens, so there are ways that the two faction could work, if they limit which races are playable at all. Chaos or Tyranid invasions can inspire some cooperation with the Eldar, even though both sides will spend the whole time waiting for an opportunity to backstab the other and come out the sole survivor. So if their 2 factions are humans and Eldar versus something like Chaos and Orks (because Chaos gets Orks to do their dirty work all the time, and all Orks care about is a good fight, with the reason being practically irrelevant), I could see that working, provided they make enough reference to the intra-faction tension.

Chaos and Dark Eldar could work  too, since they both are affiliated with the Ruinous Powers to a degree.

I didn't get the chance to play in Eye of Terror, so I'm a bit rusty on the lore there. Did they actually have a reason why the Necrons would be on the "side" of Chaos when the Warp is anathema to them?

There is also an entire order of the Inquisition that believes that only through the Empires Cooperation with Xenos (like the eldar) does it have a chance of survival. The Xeno Hybris is the name of that faction of the Inquisition And I would guess that they would make an appearance in the game. 

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Even though they're evil, wouldn't Necrons be on the side of "order"? They just have a very extreme way to bring about perfect order...the stillness of death.

The Empire and the Imperium couldn't be any more different, yes. But 8th edition of Warhammer Fantasy Battles is relatively new, and is a valid basis for indicating a trend in their methods, which is further echoed by examples in other media.

The fact is, none of the races in either game ever "specifically" get along. High Elves and Dwarfs are technically on the side of Order, but they have one of the bloodiest and longest wars in Warhammer history under their belt. They are, however, more inclined (note: not perma-alliance) to team up against a common enemy. That's what the factions and the allied army rules are designed for: not any long-standing military arrangement, but for situations where the choice is ally or die, who would each army side with? (The Imperium of Man will always claim to choose die, but very few, EVEN the Inquisition, truly put their money where their mouths are)

As for the Necrons in the Eye of Terror, they weren't particularly on any side, so much as they were continuing what they were doing: seemingly random raids, "harvesting" any living being they come across. Abaddon and Asdrubael Vect had something of a bad habit of using the chaos and disruption caused by these Necron raids to their advantage, often attacking immediately after or at the same time. The Imperium probably couldn't tell the difference.

If I were to guess, Id think that oth Necrons and Tyranids would both be NPC races since it doesnt seem viable as playable races.

Originally posted by Unicornicus

There is also an entire order of the Inquisition that believes that only through the Empires Cooperation with Xenos (like the eldar) does it have a chance of survival. The Xeno Hybris is the name of that faction of the Inquisition And I would guess that they would make an appearance in the game. 

The Xeno Hybris are a radical faction of the Inquistion, not an Order. They're like the Xanthists, who believe the best way to defeat Chaos is to use it against itself. Like the Xanthists, most orthodox Inquisitors would view the Xeno Hybris as heretics and traitors.

• BigJohnnyBigJohnny Member Posts: 42

It seems like a simple fact to me that unless the sides are perfectly symmetrical, one side will always outnumber the other. And since numbers count, that also necessarily means that in that situation you will get a "the rich get richer" situation, which only makes the problem worse. This is why the 3-faction issue comes up so often.

But now it seems that the 2-faction order is actually coming from GW themselves. So the new question is, can you make an RvR game work with just 2 factions? How do yous top the rich from getting richer, and one side constantly demolishing the other?

The Xeno Hybris are a radical faction of the Inquistion, not an Order. They're like the Xanthists, who believe the best way to defeat Chaos is to use it against itself. Like the Xanthists, most orthodox Inquisitors would view the Xeno Hybris as heretics and traitors.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Inquisition

Faction yes, wrong word i used.

See page 129 of the radicals handbook for Dark Heresey. The believe that the imperium must work together with xenos in order for mankind to survive. They also wish to learn from other xenos so mankind does not make the same mistakes as they did.

They fit perfectly into the formula here i think, we will see if they make an appearance in the game or not.

also, there is much infighting in the inquisition but no group is considered more powerful than the others. Therefore I think this could be an interesting step for them, especially considering that the Sargos sector where they base this game (a construct of the designers) has ben cut off from the imperium of man for centuries by warp storms. It would make sense for the Xeno Hybris to be there seeking alien technology and knowlege.

Not saying it is going to be that way but if ANY member of the inquisition says jump, the imperium in whole generally answers "how high" since the inquisition only answers to the Emporer himself.

• TerminatusTerminatus Member Posts: 104

Please don't put space rail minigames! Please don't out space rail minigames!

Hmm. Not sure any kind of space control is really fitting...

40k's scale has always been designed to make an individual feel small. That's the whole point. While there are "fighters" in Battlefleet Gothic (the space ship version of WH40k), they're largely represented by cardboard tokens standing in for a large number of fighters. The main ships themselves take large numbers of ultra-specialized crew to even operate. If anything, while you're in space, if the ship isn't being boarded, you should probably just be along for the ride.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

MMORPG.com:

You mentioned in another interview that there will only be two overall factions in the game. Can you explain how this will work and what armies will be working together?

Tim Campbell:

We are working very closely with Games Workshop to ensure that the experience that we will deliver in Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online will remain true and faithful to the IP. We know that this particular issue has been a subject of much debate. However, once we have finished revealing all of the races, classes and key storylines for the game and how they all interrelate to one another, we know that the fans are going to love it. How could they not when Games Workshop is closely working with us on making sure that the game stays true to the lore and the IP.

Staying true to "the lore and the IP" is the least of the problems in a 2-faction PvP-oriented game.... and it IS a PvP-oriented game?

"races, classes and.... " ...."key STORYLINES"?!?!? Storylines are going to help you with botched core design?!?! Storylines?!?!? WTF are u on about?!?!?

/facepalm

If this turns out to be another "2 factions fighting against a common enemy" BS "experience" we grew to "love" in WoW... OMG... How much money can you burn GW?

Are we to do raids against the evil watchumacallits and in the meantime do some BGs AGAIN?

FFCS Warhammer grew to be so popular, and I've been following it from the very start, precisely because it had NO GOOD vs EVIL BS. It was a punk, "no future" alternative to americano Starwarsies and Middleearthies with their good vs evil and good inevitably triumphs because it's "good" ya know crap. Sorry GW if this is your idea, turning Warhammer into a bit grittier Star Wars then you are much much dumber than I thought and I guess all the big rats already left the ship a long time ago. GL with your new concept. I'll just try to keep the fond memories of  the good old punk orc days and completely ignore whatever it is the crap you're doing nowadays. (and as WAR's "success" shows, I might not be in such an emo minority here)

/doublefacepalm

• LordOfTimeLordOfTime Member Posts: 13

This is very, very sad watching my favorite IP ever turn into another Warhammer Online failure....

Guess I'll have to stick to the Dawn of War games, seems like Relic is the only game company that knows what there doing with regards to this IP.

• yureinekoyureineko Member Posts: 39

Ugh. Space Marines, Imperials and Eldar Vs. Orcs, Chaos and Dark Eldar. How boring. That's what it'll turn out to be, you know it.

I don't even believe in Jeebus.

• Demonspirit8Demonspirit8 Member Posts: 54

Im not huge into the lore of Warhammer but i don't recall the Orks working with the chaos..... my poor greenskinned brothers are so misunderstood.