Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: RvR Pack Details

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Warhammer Online team recently announced the RvR Pack during GamesCom. The announcement seemed to create quite a stir given how few details were released at the time. In this month's Producer's Letter, Carrie Gouskas begins by talking about some of the many changes that have been implemented over the past year. Then she moves on to a recap of the RvR Pack and the 're-envisioning' of oRvR for players.

• NOT F2P: Gouskas puts to rest the speculation that WAR will be going F2P: We’re learning lessons from micro-transaction driven games; however we’re not interested in directly selling things like armor progression or other piecemeal power options.

• New Skaven Themed RvR Zone: The new zone will be integrated into the existing Tier 4 campaign and supplement it rather than becoming a siphon.

• Skaven: WIth the new RvR pack, the Skaven playable character will be introduced.

• Power, Progression, and Personality will tie into RvR.

• RR Cap Increase to 100

So there it is: No Hype, All Fight. More news about the RvR Pack will be coming in the weeks ahead. Come and join Andy Belford and myself at Games Day UK on September 26th 2010; we’ll be there to talk more about the future of WAR and our  2 year anniversary. We’ll also be giving out exclusive in game items and, provided they don’t get stuck in customs this time, WAR T-Shirts, Hats and who knows what else.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Too little too late.  They needed a third faction a year ago, and this one isn't even a starting faction.  They would be better off upgrading DAoC instead of dumping money into this sinking ship.

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

I am an occasional player of WAR and I can't say I am not interested in this. I will await more details.

• dandmcddandmcd Member Posts: 20

No 3rd faction, no money from me.  How completely lame and stupid this RVR pack is, both sides play as Skaven...really?

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I still enjoy WAR for some casual PvP.  I find it to be a great deal of fun.  Could the game have been better?  Sure, but that doesn't mean there aren't some great things about the title.  Also, everyone complains about the low population, but then wants a third faction.  Could the current population really support a third faction?  I don't think any of us really knows.  It would have been a smart move for launch, but siphoning off any of what appears to be a limited player base to another area  would potentialy make the world more deserted.  IMO this title catches way too much flack simply because they didn't make it DAoC 2 like everyone envisioned.

Steam: Neph

• wolvie3131wolvie3131 Member UncommonPosts: 196

Originally posted by Nephaerius

I still enjoy WAR for some casual PvP.  I find it to be a great deal of fun.  Could the game have been better?  Sure, but that doesn't mean there aren't some great things about the title.  Also, everyone complains about the low population, but then wants a third faction.  Could the current population really support a third faction?  I don't think any of us really knows.  It would have been a smart move for launch, but siphoning off any of what appears to be a limited player base to another area  would potentialy make the world more deserted.  IMO this title catches way too much flack simply because they didn't make it DAoC 2 like everyone envisioned.

This^^^^

When I want good fun pvp I go to WAR thats what it has and it is still fun. It still has some glaring problems yep sure does, but the PVP is fun and exciting and on my server badlands, there is always action happening on both sides.

I played DAoC and had fun. it was also mentioned in the Q&A from Andy that he said they have also learned some lessons from that game and will be trying to apply it to WAR. (http://social.bioware.com/forum/The-Developer-Roundtable/Dev-Discussions/RvR-Pack-QampA-Thread--4594499-1.html full thread here)

At the end of the day with all it's problems, WAR is still a fun and exciting pvp game and thats why I play it..

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Adding Skaven is an interesting idea to spice up RVR a bit. It may not be the 3rd faction, but at least it's something.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

a 3rd faction isn't whats wrong with the game ppl stop following the crowd.

• Postal13Postal13 Member Posts: 94

Y'know, I played WAR from closed beta 3.1 through about a year after launch.  I still stand by my ideals that it was a brilliant game in Beta.

What they did to the game since then makes me sick to my stomach and brings a tear to my eye.  I've seen strip mining that leaves more than they have in the past 2 years.

FFAAAARRR TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, IMO.

And where in the lore does it show that Skaven would EVER be aligned with the Emipre??? 

Cunfushus says "Only through wasting time do we realize that time should not be wasted."

• OkhamsRazorOkhamsRazor Member Posts: 1,047

Not free to play that sounds pretty emphatic . Did'nt SOE say the same thing about Everquest 2. The reality is whether Gouskas likes it or not is that he will have to look at the free to play option at some point or this game will go to the wall .  Perhaps if hes not able or capable of reconsidering his buisness stratergy when its failing (to a certain extent) then somone else should take his place . I predict Gouskas will be gone and Warhammer will be free to play by this time next year . As for this pack its proberbly very welcome for the content starved fans of WAR but where are the citys they promiced on release and it was still very buggy when i played in the summer . Its the fundamental that need fixing first and to do that you need more financial input and to get that you need a different buisness model to make more profit . Simple really .

• RymosRymos Member CommonPosts: 58

Warhammer is a GREAT game and has a lot of great features and principles; the issue is the monthly fee. I just don't feel $15 is worth paying for this game. I may be an idiot but I wouldn't pay $15/month just to get characters to level 40, do the same RvR over and over, and not even have an xpoff function like in DAoC. I would ONLY play this game with a trial account if they allowed trial accounts bo use all gear for their class instead of having the restrictions. And so as such, I am not playing WAR anytime soon besides when I want some RvR fun for a few hours.

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Postal13

Y'know, I played WAR from closed beta 3.1 through about a year after launch.  I still stand by my ideals that it was a brilliant game in Beta.

What they did to the game since then makes me sick to my stomach and brings a tear to my eye.  I've seen strip mining that leaves more than they have in the past 2 years.

FFAAAARRR TOO LITTLE TOO LATE, IMO.

And where in the lore does it show that Skaven would EVER be aligned with the Emipre??? 

Nowhere.

"The Skaven hold the same opinion of other races as do the Dark Elves: everyone is their inferior. However, the Skaven extend this belief to include each other, with each Skaven believing himself to be the epitome of Skaven superiority. As such, the Skaven usually see no need to ally with anyone, but believe that they are always intelligent enough to manipulate their inferiors into fighting their enemies for them. Those in higher rank view their lesser kin as completely worthless and have no problem sending thousands to their deaths - many as a result of friendly fire.

It should be noted that due to these views and their tendency for back-stabbing, no one (not even the minions of Chaos) ever wants to count the Skaven as their allies. Everyone who knows about the Skaven knows that there is only one rule for trusting a Skaven: don't.

While virtually all races of the Old World loathe Skaven, humans, for the most part, believe them to be a fairy tale or just another kind of chaos Beastman, and even cities they've attacked only hold memories of the plague for two or three generations. The only two races to hold skaven in utter contempt are the lizardmen, who feed them as choice offerings to their gods, and the dwarfs who war with the skaven constantly for control of their many tunnels and underground lairs"

The more I see the lore flushed down the toilet in this game the more I have to wonder if Games Workshop has gone "George Lucas" on their fans.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Love or hate it, WAR is still the best  PvP Game friendly to casual players

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    1. same here wont pay to play unless its 3rd faction instead of monster play so atm I will stick with T1 free to play.
    2. this rvr pac wont even be out till next year, they are just hyping up the game to stop ppl from leaving.
    3. they havent even fix the server/zone crash yet, Badland still lag like hell and crashes.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

A real third faction or no money from me.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The game doesn need a 3rd faction. What it needs is better pvp, improved open rvr and for the love of god put this game on Bioware's hero engine. The current engine isn't that appealing.

yeah thats what they said when they zerg the shat out of the other faction, camping their town and owning everything, nope dont need 3rd faction, its balanced blah blah blah. Remember when the game first came out, winner gets to take on the king and loser gets to log off for 12 hrs since there was nothing for them to do. That was so retarded no wonder the game ended up where it is today.
  • Demonspirit8Demonspirit8 Member Posts: 54

If they mixed the pvp of this game with the pve of age of conan then it would be great. I resubbed to war recently and unsubbed after 5 days. Reason is there is nothing BUT PVP. i know some people only play for pvp and love it but i get burned out after awhile of doing nothing but scenerios and when there is enough peple orvr.

Originally posted by Demonspirit8

If they mixed the pvp of this game with the pve of age of conan then it would be great. I resubbed to war recently and unsubbed after 5 days. Reason is there is nothing BUT PVP. i know some people only play for pvp and love it but i get burned out after awhile of doing nothing but scenerios and when there is enough peple orvr.

tell me about it, ppl are still playing same serpent scenario since day one lol. U cant really expect these backup guys to do anything great since these guys were probably mopping the floor and making coffee before they got moved up to keep the game alive.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

Warhammer is For sure The Best PVP i ever had Much better than WOW or AION or AOC pvp wise I really do Enjoy it's pvp it's not some game i Hard core or anything still when i feel like pvpign this the place to be From lvl 2 all the Action can start

Great Game

• mjkittredgemjkittredge Member Posts: 126

I think a third faction would be tons of fun. Maybe a bunch of races neutral to the ongoing conflict but seeing ways to profit or otherwise benefit themselves during the chaos. There are so many good races/factions to choose from that would result in awesome character classes. To the people saying it would siphon off characters from already low population areas, I think they'd be wrong because word would get out and former players (and new players) would start signing up to check out the game again! Just what this game needs, a big reason to draw people in again. This game had so much potential, and to an extent, still does.

• d0nnybr4sc0d0nnybr4sc0 Member Posts: 7

This game was fail once they announced Order v Chaos. Real Warhammer has all the races going at it. And that is how this game should of been.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

not worth a monthly fee. the eternal free trial is the best thing they have done. lots of fun in Tier 1, always find people doing public quests and scenarios. if you are waiting for another MMO, this one is great for a PvP fix.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Originally posted by d0nnybr4sc0

This game was fail once they announced Order v Chaos. Real Warhammer has all the races going at it. And that is how this game should of been.

I agree with this for this game and Warhammer 40k.Allainces should be allowed between races/armies of the same alignment but when and if such allainces exist should be player decided per server.That would really be Warhammer(40K) but I guess the work/cost needed to balance and implement  something like that is more than developers are willing to put in.

2 faction is the main reason why I wont bother with WAR40k and SWTOR, going to wait for GW2 and Secret World now.
  • Duster505Duster505 Member Posts: 66

I think we need to correct one thing here.  There is NO TALK of an actual Skaven CHARACTER - you play Skaven at some point in the RVR lake.  If that means everyone can play it or just one or two persons ( like the giants in city sieges now as crap as it is) we dont know.  My feeling it will be a very limited thing sold as a publishing stunt instead of actually putting in the real work needed for the title.