Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Things PAX Should Show Us

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the MMORPG.com team readies itself to head off to PAX, columnist Bill Murphy has a few ideas about what we all should learn from our favorite game developers during the conference. See if you agree with Bill and add any other thoughts you might have on our forums!

If E3 is gaming’s number one press event each year, then PAX is gaming’s number one fan event. And while the glamour and glitz of E3 is enticing and unlike anything else in the industry, PAX is a venue that’s filled more with gaming’s true patrons than the folks who make it their business day in and day out. And surely while we “do business” through this site, make no mistake that we’re all fans of gaming first and foremost. So it’s always good to hear that the game companies themselves take PAX just as seriously as E3 when it comes to giving the players something to talk about.

Read more of The List: Five Things PAX Should Show Us.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I'm curious to know how you feel about Rift: Planes of Telara and whether or not you have any expectations about this game at PAX. I'm following it closely, and itching for more info.

It's also been sitting at #2 on the MMORPG.com hype meter for a couple of weeks now, so I was a little surprised to see it wasn't on your top 5 list. Oh well, to each his own!

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

^^ This

I am also hyped for Rift, moreso than GW2. Not that GW2 shouldn't be on this list, but perhaps Torchlight 2 (admittedly not an MMO) or Red 5 (nothing pending for release for a couple of years) should not have made this at the expensive of Rift.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

Its all about getting some Rift hands on for me. Depending on how much play time they let me have, I might not even bother looking at any other game.

Warp

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

It's actually not on this list for a rather simple, if not weak reason: I've played Rift and seen a lot of it so far.  So while I'm wondering if they'll show us some more stuff, I feel like I've got a pretty decent grasp as to how the game's going to play.  GW2 and TOR... I've not even laid hands on yet.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GithilGithil Member Posts: 2

Thing is Bill, your topic states "show us" not "show you".  Maybe if you would have titled it: Things I hope to see/learn at PAX it would be a bit more on spot.

It's funny, but I actually wrestled with putting that "Us" on there this time, especially after it caused such an uproar last time.  But I chose to keep it, because the "Us" I'm referring to is the team going out to Seattle this weekend.  I believe there are six in total.  I'm just not one to worry about semantics, especially of such tiny details.  But I'll keep this in mind the next time I want to refer to "Us" as the staff here at MMORPG. 

For some reason, "Five Things PAX Should Show The Staff of MMORPG.com" just seemed to wordy for me.

*shrug*

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I wonder if the GW2 demo will have added features from the one at Gamescom or will it be the exact same. Out of the mmos that is what I'm hyped about the most. All of the other stuff I'm hyped about are single player games (ie Dues Ex).

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by BillMurphy

It's actually not on this list for a rather simple, if not weak reason: I've played Rift and seen a lot of it so far.  So while I'm wondering if they'll show us some more stuff, I feel like I've got a pretty decent grasp as to how the game's going to play.  GW2 and TOR... I've not even laid hands on yet.

Fair enough. I can appreciate that and see why you're looking forward to other things you've not yet experienced / have less of a feel for.

Have fun and I'll look forward to reading your articles when you get back.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

It's funny, but I actually wrestled with putting that "Us" on there this time, especially after it caused such an uproar last time.  But I chose to keep it, because the "Us" I'm referring to is the team going out to Seattle this weekend.  I believe there are six in total.  I'm just not one to worry about semantics, especially of such tiny details.  But I'll keep this in mind the next time I want to refer to "Us" as the staff here at MMORPG. 

For some reason, "Five Things PAX Should Show The Staff of MMORPG.com" just seemed to wordy for me.

*shrug*

You shouldn't have to spell everything out for people. If they can't figure it out by reading the article, not your fault (especially since you plainly stated in the first paragraph: "We’ve got a mountain of appointments lined up, and hopefully we’ll get a slew of goodies to drop on you all when we return from Seattle. Bearing that in mind, here’s a list of five things we hope to see/learn/play at PAX this weekend.")

Not too hard to understand, folks.

On topic, I mostly agreed with the list except for Torchlight 2. The original didn't do anything for me, so I personally don't care about the sequel; I side with those who think Rift or another game should've had its spot (or perhaps #3). But again, it's the staff's opinion.

Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

Fair enough. I can appreciate that and see why you're looking forward to other things you've not yet experienced / have less of a feel for.

Have fun and I'll look forward to reading your articles when you get back.

Still, if it's Rift you wanna know my thoughts on: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/431/feature/4329/E3-Hands-On-With-Rift.html

I'm very stoked for it. :)

My Review Manifesto

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

I hope GW2 is gonna show us some other stuff as well, otherwise I'm gonna be very disappointed with them, can't see any reason for them to attend PAX otherwise.

• gilgamesh9gilgamesh9 Member Posts: 133

I doubt Bioware is going to give more on the rail shooter.  They seem to want people to remain confused that it's not a cheesy throwback to 1993's Rebel Assault by comparing it to Rogue Squadron.  Couple that with multiple conflicting statements out of Gamescon and the trailer that was cut so as to give the impression it wasn't on rails.  They're going to double down on the bantha poodoo at PAX.

But enough of them, I'm looking forward to another excellent presentation by Guild Wars 2.  Them folks' on fire!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by bronecar

I hope GW2 is gonna show us some other stuff as well, otherwise I'm gonna be very disappointed with them, can't see any reason for them to attend PAX otherwise.

Well, to show the demo to people in another place than Germany is fine enough but a few more things would be cool.

I would actually rather see a PvP demo now, we seen some of the PvE and nothing about the PvP. PvP players have always been ANETs most faithful group and the mists seems to be just what the genre needs (even though I admit that I will probably play more PvE myself).

But maybe they save the PvP demo to raise the hype again closer to release.

Torchlight 2 isn't really on my list. And I might be the only one here that liked Diablo better than Diablo 2? 

• Snaylor47Snaylor47 Member Posts: 962

Originally posted by gilgamesh9

I doubt Bioware is going to give more on the rail shooter.  They seem to want people to remain confused that it's not a cheesy throwback to 1993's Rebel Assault by comparing it to Rogue Squadron.  Couple that with multiple conflicting statements out of Gamescon and the trailer that was cut so as to give the impression it wasn't on rails.  They're going to double down on the bantha poodoo at PAX.

But enough of them, I'm looking forward to another excellent presentation by Guild Wars 2.  Them folks' on fire!

They themselves called it a tunnel shooter. Look at the graphics nothing cheesy about that.

PvP videos from both SWTOR and GW2 would be nice though.

I don't care about innovation I care about fun.

• KriosisKriosis Member Posts: 345

Originally posted by Snaylor47

PvP videos from SWTOR

Second that, very doubtful though.

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

I really only want to see Guild Wars 2, Rift and Deus Ex.

TOR, for me, has lost most if not all of its luster for me. It's looking very bland and a game from a developer like Bioware should never look or feel that bad. Although Bioware hasn't really made a great game since ME2 imo.

Vindictus looks ok, haven't been following that title though.

Torchlight 2 seems an odd choice for this list, but oh well. I probably won't play this game as it looks a bit too N64/Gauntlet Legends-ish.

@Loke666- Man, do I agree with you on the Diablo 1 > Diablo 2. It just felt FAR darker and grittier to me than D2. D3 is even farther away from what I think the game should look and feel like. It's all about environment and ambience.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

*shrug*

Funny, I actually felt that when you said "Us" you meant the MMORPG.com staff. Different people different minds I guess...

This is not a game.

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

Personally I'd like a little taste of something from World of Darkness.  A video, a screenshot, heck I'd even take a post card.  Just a little something to show that WoD isn't sitting on a desk somewhere still in the "ideas" phase.

It's rumored that they'll probably hold their tidbits for the Grand Mascarade, but PAX seems like a good place to give WoD fans a little tease.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Tanemund

Personally I'd like a little taste of something from World of Darkness.  A video, a screenshot, heck I'd even take a post card.  Just a little something to show that WoD isn't sitting on a desk somewhere still in the "ideas" phase.

It's rumored that they'll probably hold their tidbits for the Grand Mascarade, but PAX seems like a good place to give WoD fans a little tease.

I would love to see something from the WoD MMO,  but I don't think it's likely.  Therefore, personally I'm looking forward to more of GW2.

Steam: Neph

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Originally posted by Loke666

I might be the only one here that liked Diablo better than Diablo 2? 

No, I also like original Diablo more!

I hope we will see more of GW2, because this game is MUST BUY for me after years of PvP (ok and a bit of PvE also :D ) in GW1,

• MorcotulconMorcotulcon Member UncommonPosts: 262

Originally posted by Zeroxin

*shrug*

Funny, I actually felt that when you said "Us" you meant the MMORPG.com staff. Different people different minds I guess...

Me too.

About the GW2, I think they might show another class in PAX, like they did in Gamescon with the necromancer. I would love to see some PVP gameplay but I don't think they will show it to us yet, since it is something that IMO really needs something new and incredible to hype the PVP players (they love the PVP in GW1, maybe something that doesn't change the gameplay but spice it a bit would be wounderfull to get the PVP players even more hyped). Maybe show us the bar brawls would be nice xD. I would love to see other races, but I guess they won't be available.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

Not excited for GW2 at all. GW1 was a terrible game imo. And i believe any mmo that does not have a sub will not be as good as it can be. Or they will do what gw1 did and release like 3 xpacs and make me pay 130 for the whoel game.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

I'm hoping for a surprise at PAX. Perhaps an early reveal of the 5th Profession. I'll stay tuned in the live stream video.

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well i was hoping for some info on rift,  hoping for info on eq next. There are other things I would like to see I just don't have the time or effort to go into it all.

One thing I don't want to see is more games going ftp.

• TKDAAHTKDAAH Member Posts: 13

Err, I was going to say but as others have already said, what about Rift? =) Rift is supposed to be giving even more info on crafting and info on things we don't even know about!

The cake is still a lie.