Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My #1 MMORPG memory The Matrix Online.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

The Games: The Matrix Online

The second licensed game based on The Matrix, The Matrix Online was released on March 22, 2005. Some basic information about the game:

• it is an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game)

• it picks up the storyline from where Revolutions ends

• it will support thousands of simultaneous players

• it is set in the Matrix only, not in the "real world"

• it will feature cutting-edge graphics and real-time martial arts combat

• familiar characters like the Oracle and Agents will appear

Speculation on the game's storyline is rampant, with the accepted theory flowing along these lines: after the truce brokered by Neo in Revolutions, the anticipated peace doesn't exactly materialize. There remain factions divided over the future of humanity. Some believe in what Neo has fought for, and they intend to free as many open minds from the Matrix as possible. There are others who don't agree with this course of action. They're preventing the resistance from freeing minds, and are supporters of the Matrix itself. A third faction exists as well, with its own motivations. It's believed players of The Matrix Online will end up choosing which side of this battle they support.

The Games: Screenshot from The Matrix Online

Some of the game features include:

• Dozens of weapons and dramatic martial arts maneuvers capture the "wire fu" Matrix experience. Use devastating special moves and sneak attacks that are intelligently generated based on player moves and tactics.

• Plot lines by the creators of The Matrix continue the Matrix story where the movie trilogy leaves off and provide you with deep insight into the world of the Matrix.

• Special events, missions, and monthly story cinematics, all of which affect the action in the game.

• Rich World cityscape environment with traffic, living neighborhoods, and breathtaking skylines.

• Robust mission system offers maximum re-playability and depth. Players receive missions from familiar organizations in the Matrix, such as Zion and the Machines.

• Authentic Matrix-style clothing and character customization options allow players to live a virtual life that reflects the fashion of the Matrix movies.

• Matrix Ability Code, which provides incredible knowledge and skill to your character. Unlike in other massively multiplayer games, Ability Code can be swapped out and exchanged, providing unprecedented flexibility in the development of a character.

• Tapping into sources of "information" in the game to create or steal code fragments. Code can be used to create both special Matrix items and special abilities.

This MMORPG had what we want in MMORPG now.  SoE should reopen what they have killed and make it F2P, this MMO was amazing.imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

The Matrix Online could have been an awesome game if it would have originally been developed by a real gaming company instead of a movie studio trying to cash in on the ip... just my thoughts.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

If it had what MMO players wanted, then why did it close down. It really didn't have that much of a Matrix "feel" to it. Some of the things you list might appeal to some but to others it just was more tidious then fun. I played MxO for some time but could never get into it that much. Sorry, but I guess I have to disagree. SOE closed it and closed it should remain.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by Gruug

If it had what MMO players wanted, then why did it close down. It really didn't have that much of a Matrix "feel" to it. Some of the things you list might appeal to some but to others it just was more tidious then fun. I played MxO for some time but could never get into it that much. Sorry, but I guess I have to disagree. SOE closed it and closed it should remain.

Matrix Online had a good amount of players on it, the reason SOE closed it is because  they had no idea how to continue the Matrix story (They knew nothing of the Matrix story) they did not want to tackle it  and so they closed it. When Matrix Online went to SOE, SOE killed off all the main chars and started adding some weird story to it that had nothing to do with the Matrix and that is when the awesome community had a bad feeling that Matrix Online will close down because the players was not feeling the new bad created missions etc. Look at SWG, it is falling  apart because SOE is done with it, they ran out of ideas and story.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by slim26

Originally posted by Gruug

Matrix Online had a good amount of players on it, the reason SOE closed it is because  they had no idea how to continue the Matrix story (They knew nothing of the Matrix story) they did not want to tackle it  and so they closed it. When Matrix Online went to SOE, SOE killed off all the main chars and started adding some weird story to it that had nothing to do with the Matrix and that is when the awesome community had a bad feeling that Matrix Online will close down because the players was not feeling the new bad created missions etc. Look at SWG, it is falling  apart because SOE is done with it, they ran out of ideas and story.

So, just to be clear, your contention is that SOE was making money from MxO and shut it down,  because they were baffled at how to keep it going despite the money made from the numerous subscriptions?

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

MXO just needed to have been developed further, it wasn't it was in admin mode from the day SoE took over, the fact it lasted as long as it did was a testament to the small but dedicated team it did have & some very exceptional individuals that went above & beyond to create storyline for it.

It was a great ip that had so much potential it was criminal how badly it was treated, though it did have some great ideas & nice systems they were not very polished, the very low variety in environments hampered itr badly too, it was like having CoH warehouse map for everything, & got very repetitive until you got to the high end storyline content, which was slightly better.

If it were resurrected it should be done much better rather than simply taken out of mothballs.