Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OB Was it a LIE!?

Comments

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Terikan3

Originally posted by xcalibur

Originally posted by EricDanie

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

Beta is not a trial.

open beta is.  get over it.

No, its open beta, you just said that so the fact i have to say this is sad

This has actually been covered by mmorpg staff in their column's. In MMO's open beta no longer serves as an opportunity for beta testing. It serves as a trial, generating free publicity and hype via word-of-mouth.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

(not directed at poster above me)

As someone stated before...

Beta is not a trial. Just because you were in the last week of closed beta without forum and reporting access does not mean they were giving you a demo. (Stress test? monitoring what you did?) just because you can't provide feedback doesn't mean you're getting a demo.

I hope they keep this invite only, as the majority of gamers are complete idiots and jump to conclusions far to quickly with a close mind. No need to have people demoing a beta to make a decision on the final product. Using an unfinished product as fact of what the game is = less box sales for SE, gamers are the last people you should give anything free to.

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

Ok guys, there has been no official statement whether or not its invite only or not.  The only thing we know is that it is being limited by logins with a queue where you have to constantly retry until you get in, which means that they probably wont limit accounts.

What else do we know? Well we know that it seems like there will be a key for OB.  This doesn't really mean anything, it could just be a way for the player to add the beta to their SE account and it could be a key automatically gets sent to anyone that signs up.

We know for sure that OB sign ups havn't occured yet since it litteraly says exactly that on their sign-up page.

The beta starts in a day, why are there no signups you ask?  Most likely because you won't need to actually be "accepted" into OB, but rather you sign up and it automatically sends you an OB key which you use to add the beta to your account.  From all the evidence presented and from what we know about the beta, this seems to me the most likely case.

Of course we don't have all the information so anything could happen but from what I've read, I do believe what will happen is that Signups will go up shortly before the servers come up.  People will register and automatically get sent beta keys.  Servers come up and people start queueing up by constantly attempting to log in and eventually get in and start playing the game.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

Call it what you will, but it is giving people a preview of the game, free of charge. Believe it.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

There is no way that this particular open beta is intended as a 'promo for the western market' (retarded idea anyhow considering the servers are shared with asia.).

The game still needs work and testing. It will dissapoint a lot of people in the state that it's in and so wouldn't function as good publicity. If you're hoping on an invite so that you can try the game out, you'll probably be amongst the dissapointed folk.

Currently Playing: The Game

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by HitechLolife

There is no way that this particular open beta is intended as a 'promo for the western market' (retarded idea anyhow considering the servers are shared with asia.).

The game still needs work and testing. It will dissapoint a lot of people in the state that it's in and so wouldn't function as good publicity. If you're hoping on an invite so that you can try the game out, you'll probably be amongst the dissapointed folk.

QFT.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by birdycephon

Call it what you will, but it is giving people a preview of the game, free of charge. Believe it.

...for those that get in (for free), it'd definitely be hard to argue.

I do hope it's not one of your typical "jump through hoops to get in!" betas, though.  I guess I'd be willing to pony up a few $ to FilePlanet - if it comes to that - but I'm sure hoping for a preview of the game either way before release so I can get to whichever side of the fence I land on...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

I still think its going to be a real open beta.

• DreadstoneDreadstone Member UncommonPosts: 125

Agree that it is not a Trial it is a Beta.  Major difference here is a trial is to show you how good a game is and how much fun it is to play.  With a beta you can still have many bugs, multiple load related crashes and many things you get to like might change in the 3 weeks until launch (CE).

I disagree that the difference between closed beta and open beta is the NDA.  A closed beta normally is open to screened individuals while open betas are normally open to the public.  The removal of the NDA is because the open beta population is too difficult to control anyway and open beta is so close to launch that you might as well take advantage of the publicity.  I would expect that most people who want in will get in as time allows.  However, since it is a beta it is possible many people would enjoy waiting for the launch which will avoid many of the problems normally seen even in open betas.  In other words, if you get really frustrated easily when games don't perform to your high standards you might want to stick to WoW, LoTRO, STO, or some other game until launch on 9/22 (CE) or 9/30 (standard).

It's good that they will apparently give out OB keys gradually rather than having people waiting in queues, imo.  I expect that the fewer problems (performance, bugs, etc.)  they have as they allow people into the open beta the faster they will send out more OB keys. 

Looks like what I said was right, they are opening signups when the servers come up and everyones getting a key until they decide to temporarily suspend key issuance if the number gets too high.

• skoreanimeskoreanime Member Posts: 219

If I have to sell my soul to get a key to try the game, then I'll just wait until they have trials for it.

Beta is not a trial.

Oh yes it is.  The email SE sent out for open beta participants says 

In preparation for the official release of FINAL FANTASY XIV on September 30, 2010 and the early release on September 22, we will be starting an open beta test to help put the finishing touches on the game. We ask that all users who can participate in the open beta test apply from the following website.

in it's opening sentence. Key word FINISHING TOUCHES. They're showcasing their latest and greatest at PAX this week. And before a week or two before launch, servers come down and get ready for launch. This is the last hurrah for SE. This is literally a demo/trial. People still thinking at this point of the testing phase that it's not are, quite frankly, delusional and/or a fanboy.

They will be able to change minor things here and there before launch, but if you people think that what we're going to experience tomorrow is nothing like how it'll be for the rest of the year...I want what you're smoking.
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Actually SE can still make changes between now and launch and after launch in XIV. However, just because you don't like a game feature doesn't mean that it will necessarily change.
  • WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Amusing a thread like this pops up moments before OB details are given.

http://entry.ffxiv.com/na/index.html

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

lol, the open beta installer demands that you have 12 GB free disk space.. on your C: drive.

Welcome to the 1990's, please enjoy your stay.

• BureykuBureyku Member Posts: 488

Originally posted by Banquetto

lol, the open beta installer demands that you have 12 GB free disk space.. on your C: drive.

Torrents have 2 options.  Either pre-allocate space or don't.  It is very common to pre-allocate and most of the torrent programs come with this by default.  Welcome to 2010 enjoy your ignorance.

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

Makes sense since most people's ONLY drive is their C: drive.  Not every game since the 1990's allows you to change install directories.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by gordunk

Makes sense since most people's ONLY drive is their C: drive.  Not every game since the 1990's allows you to change install directories.

Heck, I only have a C drive!

I imagine most average people do as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BelarionBelarion Member Posts: 570

Originally posted by skoreanime

Beta is not a trial.

Oh yes it is.  The email SE sent out for open beta participants says 

In preparation for the official release of FINAL FANTASY XIV on September 30, 2010 and the early release on September 22, we will be starting an open beta test to help put the finishing touches on the game. We ask that all users who can participate in the open beta test apply from the following website.

in it's opening sentence. Key word FINISHING TOUCHES. They're showcasing their latest and greatest at PAX this week. And before a week or two before launch, servers come down and get ready for launch. This is the last hurrah for SE. This is literally a demo/trial. People still thinking at this point of the testing phase that it's not are, quite frankly, delusional and/or a fanboy.

They will be able to change minor things here and there before launch, but if you people think that what we're going to experience tomorrow is nothing like how it'll be for the rest of the year...I want what you're smoking.

That does not say anything close to "treat this as an free trial!" or "see if you like it!".

I love snails.
    I love every kinda snail.
    I just want to hug them all, but I cant.
    Cant hug every snail.

• RectifyerRectifyer Member Posts: 103

Downloading right this minute!

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Emails just went out about Open Beta and how to get the client and key. This is not a demo/trial. It specifically states "OPEN BETA". Good day! :)

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Emails just went out about Open Beta and how to get the client and key. This is not a demo/trial. It specifically states "OPEN BETA". Good day! :)

Err...the whole discussion is about a open beta being a trial, not if what's going to happen in XIV will receive the name of trial or open beta..

=/

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by Thanosxp

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Err...the whole discussion is about a open beta being a trial, not if what's going to happen in XIV will receive the name of trial or open beta..

=/

It has already been stated that it will be a open beta. You will still need to get a opeb beta key by signing up for the open beta on there website. But the email states that you should get a key but they may limit the number of keys sent out at any one time to help control the load on the server(s).

So for all its worth it is a open beta in the old school sense.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Beta test in less than month of release is stress test. So you can call it trial.

And stfu fanboys "it is beta". <Looks away at STO and AION fanboys example>

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Bureyku

Torrents have 2 options.  Either pre-allocate space or don't.  It is very common to pre-allocate and most of the torrent programs come with this by default.  Welcome to 2010 enjoy your ignorance.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, here in 2010, every other piece of software allows you to choose where you would like to download to, and where you would like to download to. There are plenty of people with small/full C: partitions and large data partitions.. and it would be quite an inconvenience for me to rearrange my PC to install the first piece of software I've seen in literally years that wasn't capable of being installed on a partition other than C:.

But thanks for confirming what I've always suspected about these forums: there is no bug, design flaw or misfeature so bad that it won't be defended by fanbois as a postive feature....

• kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 304

Originally posted by Bureyku

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, here in 2010, every other piece of software allows you to choose where you would like to download to, and where you would like to download to. There are plenty of people with small/full C: partitions and large data partitions.. and it would be quite an inconvenience for me to rearrange my PC to install the first piece of software I've seen in literally years that wasn't capable of being installed on a partition other than C:.

But thanks for confirming what I've always suspected about these forums: there is no bug, design flaw or misfeature so bad that it won't be defended by fanbois as a postive feature....

Stop moaning, use common sense. Go to your C directory, right click on My Documents folder. Hit properties and move the folder to more spacious drive. Start the download and enjoy. Thats what i did, which is lot more easier then complaining about every damn thign in life. Took me less then a minute to move My documents folder.

90% of haters are begging for love. 10% just want a little attention -- Paulo Coelho