Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Baldur's Gate is Hard

2»

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Originally posted by SuperXero89

It seems like I can only make it through every two or three fights before someone in my party (sometimes more than one) takes a dirtnap, forcing me to run back to down to plug down 100 gold just to get him or her resurrected.

I used the spell of "Load saved game".  Much cheaper and avoids all that nasty stat-loss.  I've always thought it would be funny to have a world boss in an MMO who did that once (you beat him up, as he's going down, he shouts out "Load ... saved ... GAME!", the entire server reverts to a few minutes earlier and then he is buffed up to the hilt for the rematch.

"Jump on my sword, evil!" and "Go for the eyes, Boo!" still ring clearly in my ears.  I liked that I would end up adding characters to my party because they were fun to have around more than for their raw power.  The first time I played it, I somehow missed some critical lore about what was going on, so I got to the final cutscene and it was an absolutely jaw-dropping revelation.  I think it's still my favorite end-of-game cutscene.

I used to get out BG and play it once a year but somewhere along the way it stopped installing properly.  But by that point I realized I could  just close my eyes and dream out a whole game so it didn't matter.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

If you liked baldurs gate and the sequel, you have to check out Icewind Dale amd Icewind Dale 2. Very simliar gameplay and great game.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

After playing Dragon Age for awhile and hearing about how similar the game was to the Baldur's Gate series, I decided to try the original once again.  Now I bought this game years ago, but I have no idea where I placed all the various CDs.  Long story short, I "acquired" a copy of Baldur's Gate and started playing it again, intending to actually play the game this time instead of seeing how many cows I can spawn in the center of the Friendly Arm Inn.  Man, is this game hard though.  Even though I've played the heck out of NWN and experienced playing the real PnP game through some online sessions (those are fun with the right software), I consider myself a D&D newb, but I didn't think I suckd quite this bad.  It seems like I can only make it through every two or three fights before someone in my party (sometimes more than one) takes a dirtnap, forcing me to run back to down to plug down 100 gold just to get him or her resurrected.  Despite this, I really enjoy the game though.  I actually the the game's graphics have aged rather well and the soundtrack is top notch, but it just sucks that I'm so terrible at the game.

Does anyone who's played this agree with me or have some solutions which may keep me alive? :P

What a great game.  Like someone else has mentioned in here somewhere, you will get better and learn the ropes.  They just don't provide you with an over easy experience in the beginning which is nice for when you want to replay the game.

I wanted to ask you another question regarding the online DnD sessions.  What software did you use for it and where did you get it?  I looked into doing some forum based DnD because I didn't get a chance to experience it back in school but it just didn't seem like it would be the same.  Unfortunately there is nothing around here that I know of that holds any sessions either =/ so my window of opportunity at table gaming was lost years ago.

Thanks in advance for any information. 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I found Icewind Dale suffered from the problem of having monsters being laid out in too-predictable patterns, evenly spaced apart from each other - I found it jarringly unnatural (I've noticed that in some MMOs too).

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

I loved BG and BG2 i also really liked the Icewind Dale series because it let you create your whole party.  Altho the BG series with the dynamics between the players you picked up were funny Minsc and Boo were great.  The graphics were really good back then too.  I really liked the critical death animations when you blasted someone with a crit and they died it blew them apart.  I spent many many hours playing BG and IWD i kept all those games because i really really liked how they were made.  Guess i am going to have to bust them out and dust them off.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Thats funny we all went back to playing the best RPGs that was ever made while we wait for the new MMORPG. I close my account for AoC (good MMO) but I needed to take a break and wanted alot more in story etc so.... I started up my old FF7 on my playstation 2 and that was refreshing. I also started up NWN 2 for the first time in my life and that is one uniqe RPG but I will have to say BG is the winner of RPGs = to FF7, all the rest are great tho.

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by Mannish

Ah, good old Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. I remember being on Gamespy Arcade all day every day playing those games. They dont make them like that anymore. I have been thinking about trying to re collect those games.

Well their is hope for a great RPG series to bring back that BG1-2 feel. I will tell you now that the game wont be easy but it is highly satisfying to say the least. Great graphics and epic story which puts BioWares recent efforts to shame.

It's not fully voiced but has some voice overs. Be warned ,this game does not hold your hand, it' really does take some getting use to. It's full sandbox, meaning you can build your character to be anything you want and it full open crafting. The game starts off really slow but you should stay on the early island as long as possible to get used to how the game works.

Try the demo and you can buy the game now for peanuts on steam, i paid £5 lol, money well spent.

http://www.drakensang.com/

Youtube in game vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbov1iQ-kxE&feature=related

Demo http://www.videogamer.com/pc/drakensang_the_dark_eye/download/demo.html

Don't give up, once you learn how to play it, you will have a great time. This is the magic that BioWare have lost.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by NightAngell

Ah, good old Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale. I remember being on Gamespy Arcade all day every day playing those games. They dont make them like that anymore. I have been thinking about trying to re collect those games.

Well their is hope for a great RPG series to bring back that BG1-2 feel. I will tell you now that the game wont be easy but it is highly satisfying to say the least. Great graphics and epic story which puts BioWares recent efforts to shame.

It's not fully voiced but has some voice overs. Be warned ,this game does not hold your hand, it' really does take some getting use to. It's full sandbox, meaning you can build your character to be anything you want and it full open crafting. The game starts off really slow but you should stay on the early island as long as possible to get used to how the game works.

Try the demo and you can buy the game now for peanuts on steam, i paid £5 lol, money well spent.

Don't give up, once you learn how to play it, you will have a great time. This is the magic that BioWare have lost.

WTH.... I have never seen or heard of this RPG, wow it looks very good... is the game play like BG/NWN or more like Dragon Age?

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

After playing Dragon Age for awhile and hearing about how similar the game was to the Baldur's Gate series, I decided to try the original once again.  Now I bought this game years ago, but I have no idea where I placed all the various CDs.  Long story short, I "acquired" a copy of Baldur's Gate and started playing it again, intending to actually play the game this time instead of seeing how many cows I can spawn in the center of the Friendly Arm Inn.  Man, is this game hard though.  Even though I've played the heck out of NWN and experienced playing the real PnP game through some online sessions (those are fun with the right software), I consider myself a D&D newb, but I didn't think I suckd quite this bad.  It seems like I can only make it through every two or three fights before someone in my party (sometimes more than one) takes a dirtnap, forcing me to run back to down to plug down 100 gold just to get him or her resurrected.  Despite this, I really enjoy the game though.  I actually the the game's graphics have aged rather well and the soundtrack is top notch, but it just sucks that I'm so terrible at the game.

Does anyone who's played this agree with me or have some solutions which may keep me alive? :P

It may somewhat effect your story but I found that playing multiplayer was easier when you create all the characters you want to take in with you it's a bit more difficult with the pre made party.  Also as I think one poster noted when you start out it is a bit more difficult than in the later stages so having a fighter class can help alleviate some of that but if I remember right a few levels in things will go much more smoothly for you.  Unfortunately I have yet to play Dragon Age since I broke my disc drive and am too lazy to go get another one so not sure how the gameplay compares but Baldurs Gate for overall play is my favorite rpg of all time, I've found myself a bit more attached to the stories of the Final Fantasy series but in every other way BG is tops.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• NightAngellNightAngell Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by slim26

Originally posted by NightAngell

WTH.... I have never seen or heard of this RPG, wow it looks very good... is the game play like BG/NWN or more like Dragon Age?

It's as close to BG as you are going to get,BioWare used to make games like this but they have lost their way with this movie boring same game different skin thing.

Download the Demo..

Like i said though, the games is not easy and will take some getting used to, you will feel lost at first with the vast amount of options for character building and game-play.

• candycoatedcandycoated Member Posts: 86

those games made nwn and dragon age seem like sissys