Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spellborn shutting down

13»

Comments

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

While I had thought the concepts behind the game interesting, it was never enough to actually try playing it (even when it was F2P).

This is a black mark against creativity though, and sends the message that "different" just might not work in the current sea of MMO games.

I do agree with other posters that the game never achieved enough hype through marketing, trade shows, and general promotion.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Originally posted by cheyane

I am just curious to know how many of the people who thought this game was unique and different actually continued to support it. It's funny how we all wax poetic about things and talk potential and other meaningless descriptions without putting your money where your mouth is.

Just like how everyone abandon other games and then lament their passing. I continued to play Anarchy Online ,Vanguard and Age of Conan because I saw potential in these games and refused to give up and supported them financially. I think this genre needs more loyalty .We bail out on games so easily.

It is possible to appreciate certain elements of a game and still not subscribe. Though I didn't subscribe to Spellborn, I recommended it to many people who I thought would appreciate the gameplay...which they did. To be honest...there were never many people playing when I participated ..so..having already found another fantasy game I supported ...AoC ( and later another unique game imo.. Fallen Earth ) , I chose to play those games.

Another contributing factor to me not subbing is the fact that Acclaim never seemed to push the game or provide any kind of worthwhile support. It was just another game in their library it seemed. Acclaim took what was probably the best game they controlled and treated it like a small insignificant cog in their whole nickel and dimeing machine .

I also didn't want to invest my time in a game that was suppose to come back in a second incarnation. Would I like the new game? Who knows. I fully intended to try the "new" Spellborn . In the meantime I did support the game with my mouth...but it was kind of hard to keep supporting it with my money. Remember..the game wasn't out very long before it went f2p and unlike other F2P games..I don't recall a serious cash shop . Just Acclaim coins and nothing to spend them on except their other ..now defunct.... games..

So...though your comments may apply to many other failed ventures...it is my opinion that this is not one of them.