Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift: Planes of Telara: Plane of Fire Overview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Trion Worlds has provided us with an overview of the Plane of Fire, one of the six planes that are tearing through rifts in the world of Rift: Planes of Telara.

The Plane of Fire: Fields of Flame

The Plane of Fire is a broken and cracked expanse of sharp rocks and blasted mountains, valleys obscured by smoke and ash. Volcanoes rise thousands of feet into the methane sky, spewing rivers of molten rock into seas of fire that the plane’s denizens walk upon as if it were harmless soil.

Razor shards of stone carpet the scorched plains, where fire elementals and ifrits clash together in a riot of joyous violence. Demons fly between the jagged peaks, plucking goblins from their lairs in handfuls to gorge upon.

Read the full overview here.

Comments

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

This part is in there twice:

------------------------------

Ranger-Captain Dio Booras (newly-promoted) on the destruction of Diokesi Village,

<and the text below it>

Also, just below the first pic it says this:

The creatures that come to Telara through Fire Rifts make up for a lack of subtlety with pure ruthless aggression. Goblins have lived in Telara since the Age of Dragons, and every mother scares her children with tales of the goblins’ vicious cruelty. Recently, the Gedlo priests have joined their lesser goblin cousins, honing anarchic tribes into war-bands that harass and butcher even well-armed patrols.

Is the part about the Goblins a typo? It doesn't really fit with the rest of this piece of lore.

Aside from that, nice stuff. I love the writing style.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• TazzasaurusTazzasaurus Member Posts: 33

flaming rifts sounds cool enough imo 0.0

• eLdritchZeLdritchZ Member Posts: 83

they look pretty frakkin amazing, too... ;)

and the lore is soooo good.... want to buy Novel!

<S.T.E.A.L.T.H>
    An Agency that kicks so much ass it has to be written in all capital letters... divided by dots!
    www.stealth-industries.de

• shadout00shadout00 Member Posts: 253

I'm sorry, but Planes? Plane of Fire? Gods? This game is making me feel as if EQ was being relaunched. Everything looks good so far too. I can't wait.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

cant freakin wait for Rift.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by shadout00

I'm sorry, but Planes? Plane of Fire? Gods? This game is making me feel as if EQ was being relaunched. Everything looks good so far too. I can't wait.

That kinda looks like an EQ1 screenshot.  Planes of Power era of course.

:D

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I wonder if this is pure-lore or some hint that there will be a time when players can venture into the planes themselves to take the fight to these planar agressors rather than passively defend against them...

• RamaelRamael Member Posts: 91

Originally posted by Skuz

I wonder if this is pure-lore or some hint that there will be a time when players can venture into the planes themselves to take the fight to these planar agressors rather than passively defend against them...

From my understanding, the eventual goal is to take the fight back through the rifts and fight the other planes on their own soil. From what I remember reading, it's a long-term plan that won't be available at release but is a logical direction to go in future content.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I'm kinda surprised people think these graphics look good... maybe they do in person but right now they look very blah and generic in my opinion... Also as I've said before the name Rift: Planes of Telera just makes me sigh heavily. Simply calling Planes or something along those lines would be better in my opinion.... I don't know enough about the game though to really comment on anything else but it sounds interesting enough.

• LumanilLumanil Member Posts: 110

These fire demons in the second screeny really remind me of bloodletters from Wh40k tabletop game.

• haibanehaibane Member Posts: 178

The graphic engine looks totally fugly, like back to  EQ1 aye.

You're a Hardcore Survivor!

You not only survived the zombie apocalypse, but did it with style! Your mastery of zombie knowledge, survival tactics, and weaponry is nearly unmatched. Congratulations, for you are hardcore!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

They do like a bit of lore at rifts which is good as it seems to becoming the forgottern word in MMO design. Generic issues will occur when you deal with concepts such as 'fire' or 'death'. I don't think we have seen enough here to work out how much of a new slant they have taken.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

I like the graphics...

I know they aren't top notch like some of the other games that come out, but what I've seen so far, I can live with, I just hope they have the content and gameplay to make up for it.

Then I'm good.

The secret World's Graphics doesn't look to be top notch either, but I'd rather they take it down a bit, so everyone can play the game, and focus on the gameplay.

Too many companies have made fantastic -looking, but shallow mmo's.. And we all get excited about it, but then quit short after cause they cared more about making it look good than make a good game.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I cant tell u what i think if i dont see it live

• Sive0nSive0n Member UncommonPosts: 28

well from what i experienced at GamesCom(yes i went there and played it) the game is pretty standard, i know there will be some flaming but here's my impression:

Graphics: very standard, by that i mean that isn't cartoonish like wow or warhammer but not amazing like AoC.

Gameplay: typical 3rd person camera with WASD control, i played with a Rogue and i must say that it felt exactly like playing a rogue in WoW but with "Sinister Strike" and "Eviscerate" having different names, but i only played within the early levels i'm sure/hopeful it will be a bit different later on with different souls. The Rift system is way over-hyped, i wasn't amazed at all it just felt like the Public Quests in Warhammer Online got bored after the first one.

Overal:

the impression i have is that it feels like WoW with less cartoonish textures, public quests(rifts) a different class system and obviously a different lore, which might be good for those that are looking for something similar but still different to mainstream WoW, but in the end i wasn't that impressed specially for a next-gen MMO and judging from the quantity of players on the Rift booth compared to Guild War2 and Tera neither where they.

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158

Woah.. Once I really was interested in this game, but the more I see the more I get turned off. The Gamescom videos did not look impressive and this looks...... errm... plain ugly. I never expected to see something like this after the first trailers. And since there is another game focusing on PQs, which is GW2, there will be a hard direct competitor

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Originally posted by natuxatu

I'm kinda surprised people think these graphics look good... maybe they do in person but right now they look very blah and generic in my opinion... Also as I've said before the name Rift: Planes of Telera just makes me sigh heavily. Simply calling Planes or something along those lines would be better in my opinion.... I don't know enough about the game though to really comment on anything else but it sounds interesting enough.

Those screenshots don't do it justice, trust me. I haven't seen the fire realm myself, but at Gamescon I was able to play Rift, and it really looked good. The vids and many screenshots don't live up to it.

Try this at HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc12NSiteE&feature=related

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

It seems to me im seeing alot of hype....

"you never know where the rifts wil open","world under constant threat","no one is safe"....

So are we going to see rifts open everywhere in the game ?Towns,cities,inside other mob zones... etc...

Are we finally going to see mobs that actually are a threat to the towns,killing off npcs and capturing and or razing towns ?Will i be fighting at one mobs location and have the possiblity a rift will open right there by pure chance and spew out more and different mobs totally unrelated to the ones im fighting ?

Can i travel to town only to find a rift or three have opened in it, the npcs i came to see are dead,and more are dying as i watch ?

If not,than all the "talk " used to build atmosphere and sell the game ,is just that, talk.......hype.....

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by tkobo

"you never know where the rifts wil open","world under constant threat","no one is safe"....

So are we going to see rifts open everywhere in the game ?Towns,cities,inside other mob zones... etc...

Are we finally going to see mobs that actually are a threat to the towns,killing off npcs and capturing and or razing towns ?Will i be fighting at one mobs location and have the possiblity a rift will open right there by pure chance and spew out more and different mobs totally unrelated to the ones im fighting ?

Can i travel to town only to find a rift or three have opened in it, the npcs i came to see are dead,and more are dying as i watch ?

If not,than all the "talk " used to build atmosphere and sell the game ,is just that, talk.......hype.....

I don't think it will be that extreme, but from I understand, you may still get what you want.

There are 6 planes, all are very determined to move from there plane to Telara. Rifts can open and, if uncontested, can grow to full on enemy strongholds. From there the enemy will multiple and spread to pillage the land. On top of this, the planes will fight amongst themselves for control. So you may come upon your village being besieged by the plane of death or you may encounter a plane of fire stronghold being attacked by the plane of life.

But yes, NPC areas are not safe, but I don't think the rifts will open in town, but the chaos can spread.

This is how I understand it. Please correct me if someone knows something I don't.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

Originally posted by tkobo

There is a video that shows demons from the Plane of Fire beginning an invasion on a nearby town from the newly opened Rift. The mechanic is, if you don't stop them, they will attack and raze the town.

@skeaser: From what I read on other articles and their website, that is how the invasion system works.

• tkobotkobo Member Posts: 465

if youve got the time and or the link, id really like to see that movie.

This type of feature is VERY high on my list, and one ive waited for,for years.Such a feature would be enough for me to overlook other weaknesses and give a game a go.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547

Awesome article

Im very excited about Rift

Please keep these updates coming :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

This is point and click auto attack shite is it not?

Why do developers even bother?

Just your standard EQ clone with some innovative lore.

Nothing to see here people - move alone. This is not the game you are looking for.

• WaizerWaizer Member Posts: 125

still excited about this time.

Graphics definatly could be better but people have said these don't screenshots don't do the game justice... if this is the case then I can't think of anything I don't like in this game yet. Can't wait to try it out

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I wish people would not anoint games before they are released.  Most of us have been burnt far too many times to be that foolish.

This appears like it will be a good game, but we won't know until we actually get to play it.