Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which class will look the best in PVP?

rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

For you PVPers.

Comeon, we[ve all been there. We've all encountered that one PVP expert that seems to know his class better than anyone else, but also seems to know your class better than you! We've watched him cut a swath through our allies, right before planting his sword into our skulls next. While I enjoy destroying my foes in PVP, I've always especially loved coming across someone who really knows how to make a specific class shine, whether they're on my side rescuing me once again and taking on more than one player at a time, or on the other side, mopping the floor with my intestines. 

The point here is that these players really know how to make their class look really good in competition. What say you, fellow Tyrians? What class are you really looking forward to seeing in action?

(yeah, I know we've only got 4 confirmed classes, so I'll repost this when we get more. Profession speculations are still welcome though!)

"Everyone dies. It is how one lives that matters."
— Artemis Entreri (R.A. Salvatore)

"P.S. MAKE NO DEALS WITH THE WOLF." -Durzo Blint-

"But, there is one they fear.

In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin -- Dragonborn!" -Game of the Century-

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Necro looks to be a beast right now.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

FYI, I fear that it won't be long before some idiot comes in here spouting about how we only know about 4 of the 8 classes even though you specifically said of the ones available right now...

Anyways, I honestly think the Warrior is the best prospect thus far for a dominant PvP class. Their ranged attacks offer plenty of utility and their melee is quite obviously second to none. The only reason that Warriors in the past have been in the middle of like every MMORPG game we have thus far is that they lack proper counters to ranged and have to ration their abilities to stay on target.

So far in addition to the ranged and melee strength the class has shown, the also have fantastic distance closers and interrupts in the form of knockbacks and knockdowns. They have Sword/Board up for Rangers and they can dual wield to great effect against Necros and Eles. A necro may argue that they can both fear and drain the warrior, but a smart warrior will knock them down or stun them when they try.

So my vote is for warrior, simply because they have a fantastic amount of control over their opponents with a cherry on top in the form of high damage out put.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Good, warriors always suffer in most games due to CC and ranged. 

Anyway, I want to make a warrior and my wife loves the ranger....hope we make a good couple in game as we do out!!!

• the female mesmer as always.

• rbc13183rbc13183 Member Posts: 208

Those are some great arguments for the Warrior. Yeah I saw the warrior using a bow in the demo. Man, a warrior that can murder from a distance now? Very interesting... 

I can see it now. Any warrior worth his salt won't go into the Mists (World vs World PVP) without a ranged weapon set to compliment his melee set. This will help him out if someone tries to kite him. Haha, just fire a flaming arrow into your enemies chest when he tries that crap now. I'd go for a full on Damager dealing warrior and just try to overwhelm my opponents before they can even respond. Imagine how intimidating a fully decked out Norn warrior with a greatsword is going to look? Has anyone seen their warrior concept art? My god...

However, I have to admit that until I see another profession, the necromancer seems like he is going to be a very scary pvp opponent. He's got lots of tricks that will totally take you off of your balance, and he seems like he's going to be a very difficult opponent to finish off in battle.

Originally posted by meleemadness

Anyway, I want to make a warrior and my wife loves the ranger....hope we make a good couple in game as we do out!!!

Sounds like fun. Does your wife like to PVP as well? Or just PVE?

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Reizlanzer

FYI, I fear that it won't be long before some idiot comes in here spouting about how we only know about 4 of the 8 classes even though you specifically said of the ones available right now...

Anyways, I honestly think the Warrior is the best prospect thus far for a dominant PvP class. Their ranged attacks offer plenty of utility and their melee is quite obviously second to none. The only reason that Warriors in the past have been in the middle of like every MMORPG game we have thus far is that they lack proper counters to ranged and have to ration their abilities to stay on target.

So far in addition to the ranged and melee strength the class has shown, the also have fantastic distance closers and interrupts in the form of knockbacks and knockdowns. They have Sword/Board up for Rangers and they can dual wield to great effect against Necros and Eles. A necro may argue that they can both fear and drain the warrior, but a smart warrior will knock them down or stun them when they try.

So my vote is for warrior, simply because they have a fantastic amount of control over their opponents with a cherry on top in the form of high damage out put.

Don't forget that they also have incredible utility in a more team based environment in the form of their banners. Since they are movable that gives them incredible versatility, rather than just moving the combat elsewhere. And that any on your team can pick it up and move it would also add a lot of depth. Throw in a few shouts and you got an incredable cog in your pvp machine.

• DarkResinDarkResin Member Posts: 79

Going to have to agree with skeaser here.  Necro is shaping up to be one of the more powerful-looking professions in terms of PvP.  Unless Death Shroud is somehow nerfed in PvP (doubtful), Necros look to have a hell of a lot of utility both before and after death.  Healing, pets, mobile AoEs, marks, wells... like the article said, Necromancer will certainly be one durable profession. 

Going to have to disagree that warrior will be the best PvP profession.  Certainly the warrior has a lot of utility as well as durability in terms of armor and health, as well as a certain amount of mobility.  On the other hand, however, they seem to be lacking in the CC department (from the vids I've watched at least) and from what I've read their strength and damage was somewhat underwhelming.   Oddly enough though, I get the feeling that the Warrior will be one of the most valuable assets to any PvP "group" due to their banners, shouts, and other support abilities.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Well, hard question since we only know 4 classes for sure. I am hoping for a class that is a bit more technological with guns and so, like a Swashbuckler or musketeer. Rapier and Pistol, that should be really cool in PvP. :)

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

Originally posted by rbc13183

lol, she has no choice.  When we used to play duo shaman in WOW a few years ago (enhancement (me) and elemental (her)) I would drag her into world pvp all the time.  I would say, hey look!!  Two alliance over there, she would start to run away and say leave them alone and I would say its too late they are attacking me...she had no choice but to fight.  Of course she would say they wouldn't have attacked if I didn't attacked them first.  So yea, she did world pvp with me, lol.  She would do BGs too.

Eventually she went with a hunter and me a rogue two years ago and then stopped but she actually falls asleep during pve but gets a rush from pvp. 

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

I'm gonna have to agree with the others that voted Necromancer.  It's not a class I intent to make my main, but just looking at their design, it's easy to see that a skilled Necro would be very difficult to take down in PvP.  They are very durable with life drains and death shroud, CC with doom etc, all sorts of pets with their own abilities, ranged damage, anti-melee abilities like locus swarm, etc.

Originally posted by rbc13183

lol, she has no choice.  When we used to play duo shaman in WOW a few years ago (enhancement (me) and elemental (her)) I would drag her into world pvp all the time.  I would say, hey look!!  Two alliance over there, she would start to run away and say leave them alone and I would say its too late they are attacking me...she had no choice but to fight.  Of course she would say they wouldn't have attacked if I didn't attacked them first.  So yea, she did world pvp with me, lol.  She would do BGs too.

Eventually she went with a hunter and me a rogue two years ago and then stopped but she actually falls asleep during pve but gets a rush from pvp. 

ROFL. Good stuff. Yep, proves that PVP is a great break from PVE when it starts to get monotonous. However, it appears that the PVE may be almost as fun as the PVP here, so you're wife will love this game probably.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

unfortunatly we do not know enough about the warrior, we dont know much about  his 2h weapon skills yet (i have not atleast) except ihis bowskills. there is alot missing right now that we cant rwally makie a judment call even on the ones we know now.

warrior is my favorite right now, but i will have to say ranger accually. they have traps, they can deflect some attacks right back at the user. and his pet will be useful as a distraction in the least and as a extra damage source.  the ranger seems to do defense and offense well enough that he may be able to turn the tides. the traps themselves seem to be a great way to direct the battle (that is unless it is invisible to the other team) and make the other team worry about getting crippled and then haveing no way to escape.

for warrior, he has great support skills, but he now has AOE ranged attacks(bow) and he can bleed the enemy out. the problem is with his low damage (hopfully raised) hes not too useful as an attacker but more of a  deturant for attacking close up, and in groups. tho his support role is also important.

for necro he seems to be great, but he does have drawbacks. some of his attacks look to be easily dodged when you see it comeing. and they are easy to see. and   some dont seem like skills that will be  high on damage but eill help keep him alive. sure he will live long but will he be a tide turner? hard to say... blowing up minions is cool though.

finnally elementalest. i dont accually have much to say... correct anything that i got wrong PLEASSESE

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by DarkResin

Going to have to agree with skeaser here.  Necro is shaping up to be one of the more powerful-looking professions in terms of PvP.  Unless Death Shroud is somehow nerfed in PvP (doubtful), Necros look to have a hell of a lot of utility both before and after death.  Healing, pets, mobile AoEs, marks, wells... like the article said, Necromancer will certainly be one durable profession. 

Going to have to disagree that warrior will be the best PvP profession.  Certainly the warrior has a lot of utility as well as durability in terms of armor and health, as well as a certain amount of mobility.  On the other hand, however, they seem to be lacking in the CC department (from the vids I've watched at least) and from what I've read their strength and damage was somewhat underwhelming.   Oddly enough though, I get the feeling that the Warrior will be one of the most valuable assets to any PvP "group" due to their banners, shouts, and other support abilities.

Every PvP discussion for GW2, in my opinion, should be based around the 5v5 structured type of battle.

Hmm, now I'm thinking deeply into each profession and where they would fit in...

Warrior at the moment seems to have a focus on damage, both single target and multiple based on weapon, and the ability to switch between the two if needed. Appears that he can be multi-functional because of the weapon system. The utility skills seem like they will matter most for how it is played. Support oriented would likely have a */warhorn and sword/shield weapon set up with banners and shouts for the utility. Drop banners when needed for both backline and to be carried to the frontline. Damage oriented axe/axe and.. hammer or rifle. Utility skills would be offensive shouts, signets, and attack skills. Use the hammer for interupting and impromptu control. Control focused would be mace/* and longbow. Utility could be a mix of things, depends on their effects.

Elementalist is so open ended because of the attunement system, I can imagine them switching roles on the fly more than most other professions. Utility is hard to decide because of the constant changes that can be made to the build... Going to be a team player, without a doubt. High end will probably be considered harder to play because of the role switching potential contained within.

Rangers don't strike me as the biggest team players, but I imagine if you want to keep the enemy buisy there is no better a class (currently) than the highly mobile ranger. I'm expecting control to shine because of the traps, the highly mobile form of combat used, and the skills seem to give cripple and other such things. Support would likely come in the form of spirits and the warhorn offhand. A lot of damage potential with the longbow and greatsword mixed with the proper spirits and pets.

Necromancers look like some of their greatest abilities will involve area control/denial. Probably best used as active defense or assault (on fixed locations) with offensive and defensive marks and wells make great support and control. I'm not too sure on their damage but their survivability seems high because of their ability to steal health from the enemy, so they might not hit the hardest but they can probably last the longest. Throw in the minions and they would have their own personal army to deal damage and help stay alive.

Conclusion, warriors have some of the better vesatility in combat, able to spec into whatever is necesary before hand and be viable in it. Where as the elementalist boasts the best flexability once the combat starts, able to fill roles based on the situation. The necromancer will probably shine (ironically) very brightly in control and support, with decent damage. Although if you are fighting a highly mobile enemy group you might run into some problems. The ranger seems to more be control and damage, though I doubt it hits as hard as some others. Though with its damage I'm sure it will buff the damage of those around it.

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

Am I the only one going with Ele in this thread?

In a 1v1 situation I would choose ele every time over the other professions. Attune water--lob some snares, swap attune to air--deal big damage to your solo enemy, dun.

In a group situation, I would also choose ele, but necro is also looking good. Attune fire and deal some nice AoE pressure; throw a firewall up and force your enemies either to go through it or around it into a choke point. Taking too much damage? attune earth and boost your defense, or attune water and heal your allies.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I went warrior simply because I can think of a way to stop or heavily reduce the other 3 professions damage. Warrior is just an unstoppable killing machine thus far, their major disadvantage is lack of utility. Banners, sure - but they don't really have much they can do in combat aside from fight and kill. Elementalists for example have a way to play defensively, healing theirselves by dealing lower damage. Necros can switch over to full survival mode. Rangers are incredibly mobile. But still, all of them can be stopped - and the one doing the stopping is the Warrior.

I personally haven't decided on a Profession yet, but if I had to choose one right this second... it would be Elementalist.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by therez0

Am I the only one going with Ele in this thread?

In a 1v1 situation I would choose ele every time over the other professions. Attune water--lob some snares, swap attune to air--deal big damage to your solo enemy, dun.

In a group situation, I would also choose ele, but necro is also looking good. Attune fire and deal some nice AoE pressure; throw a firewall up and force your enemies either to go through it or around it into a choke point. Taking too much damage? attune earth and boost your defense, or attune water and heal your allies.

you are not and i expect them to be imba for the reasons you've listed. spike dps 1vs1 with no e-management. yes pls

I need more vespene gas.

• zeidenzeiden Member Posts: 44

Usually ranged classes always have the upperhand. Especially in GW2 since from what i saw from the gamescom demos even the ranged classes don't need to stop moving to cast most of their spells. I hope they don't get ridiculous slowing abilities with low cooldowns because if their that mobile and they can spam slow effects on enemies they are going to be very op againts melee classes.

I would guess out of the 4 that are out right now Necromancer looks very strong.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

So far necro seems to be the beast in 1v1 PvP but remember that PvP in mmos is very very rarely 1 on 1.. especially if there is no PvP in PvE zones and fights happen only in PvP zones where players usually venture in groups.

Warrior might turn out to be the most valuable group player, a force multiplier if you will, and both elementalist and ranger might provide hefty point-pressure if well protected by their team.

We'll see.

• VaettirVaettir Member Posts: 68

I'm holding out for Mesmer right now. The class was amazing in PvP, and had my favorite spell of all time: Panic.  It literally made your opponents panic. 

Of the released classes, I'd say Necromancer. It seems to focus on survival while still dealing decent damage. Also, Fear.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Couldn't say which will be uber at pvp, especially structured 5v5?? I'd just choose the profession that allows me to pull the most tricks (win or lose) on ppl, that's the most fun about pvp for me, so maybe a tendency towards control professions or builds ; )

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

1 vs 1 - mesmer

Gr vs Gr - Warrior

Hard to kill - Necro ( i seen Necro in G1 that whole group of players could not kill , in GW2 it seems to be the case even moreso)

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Since I never played GWs PvP or GW2 I can't really say but it seems that long range DPS will rape melee with the system that GW2 is going with. Though I will save my final decision for when I actually try the game.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

If Mesmers make a return and have similar capabilities as in GW then it has to be that profession. Don't think I've seen a class in a game yet that can shutdown some other player quite like a Mesmer can.

• DouhkDouhk Member Posts: 1,019

The ritualist was my favorite class in the original, but there's pretty much no chance for it to make a return. It was fantastic seeing a ritualist who had a really stellar build annihilating the floor with everything.

I'll probably end up playing a necro, as it's most likely the closest thing we'll get and the necro wasn't far off from a favorite class anyway. Either that or mesmer. I always prefer playing the "unique" classes.

image If only SW:TOR could be this epic...