Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Populated 2 or 2.5D Game! (Think Maple/Rag)

AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

Like the Title says, I'm looking for a game like MapleStory (2D) or Ragnarok (2.5D)! All I ask it for it to be very populated with a lot of people playing! Thanks!

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

My terminology may be way off, but I thought games like orginal Doom were 2.5d, which should be a catagory Wurm falls under, since it renders like a 3d game, but for all intensive purposes, the game only recognized things on a 2d grid.

Anyway, I *do* get where you are coming from, so I suggest Dungeon Fighter Online, which is a side-scroller ala Final Fight. Very fun, and there's usually quite a few people on during peak hours in the afternoon. It's a state-side only game though, and you catch a lot of pinoys using proxy servers late at night... they're jerks if you can't speak the language.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

GT, are you ever unable to find a way to sneak a Wurm suggestion in? Even based on your thinking, I'd still label the original doom as a 3D first person game, because the game is played through the eyes of the character you are controlling and the game has a discernible height, width, and length. As with games such as Wurm, Guild Wars, FFXI, and other 3D games of like, they are rendered in a way that allows them to be thought of has having three quantifiable and distinct dimensions. These games have a visual "depth."

Games like Ragnarok, Diablo series, Lineage, and Ultima Online are considered to be 2.5D because the way they are presented gives the illusion of having 3 dimensions, but usually the height (from your feet to your head) is superimposed onto the background (Floor).

Games like Maplestory, Dungeon Fighter Online, WonderKing, and "old-school" platformers, are considered 2D because they lack a visual depth.

To the OP: As far as 2.5 games are concerned, Mythos and the Torchlight MMO are in the works, but I'm not sure what all is currently availible besides the ones I listed.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by mrcalhou

GT, are you ever unable to find a way to sneak a Wurm suggestion in?

Get pissy if you want, but it's not like I'm suggesting Wurm for him. I'm just saying I thought 2.5d is the way Doom was rendered back in the day, and it's the same tech Wurm uses. There aren't any other MMOs that actually do that, but after wikipedia-ing the definition, yes, it's about using 3d tech on a 2d plane. Technically the later SimCity games are 2.5d.

Now go find a Darkfall fanboi to harass for suggesting people try it.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• alberriettalberriett Member Posts: 5

You can try Wonderking or Dragonica.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Dofus is an isometric looking game, very populated F2P, but turn-based combat.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

battle of the immortals is pretty fun game. it's 2,5D.

It's full of people. have lot of events and quests.