Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A short guide to everything we know about GW2

Comments

• overkill1991overkill1991 Member Posts: 3

I didn't have GW2 on my radar up untill the Gamescom. Perhaps some of you that have been tracking this game for a while longer could answer the following question.

Healing won' t play a (vital) role in the game, how is tanking being handled in the game? Are there classes that can use specific builds and gear to fill in the tanking role? And how is threat/aggro from mobs being handled?

I have seen some videos of a warrior type class wielding a 1h weapon and a shield and using some very defensive abilities to reduce damage, for example hiding behind the shield to deflect a fire blast from a lizard creature. This however has not really convinved me yet that there will be a dedicated tanking build or class.

Any insight you could offer is appreciated :)

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by overkill1991
    I didn't have GW2 on my radar up untill the Gamescom. Perhaps some of you that have been tracking this game for a while longer could answer the following question.
    Healing won' t play a (vital) role in the game, how is tanking being handled in the game? Are there classes that can use specific builds and gear to fill in the tanking role? And how is threat/aggro from mobs being handled?
    I have seen some videos of a warrior type class wielding a 1h weapon and a shield and using some very defensive abilities to reduce damage, for example hiding behind the shield to deflect a fire blast from a lizard creature. This however has not really convinved me yet that there will be a dedicated tanking build or class.

If you go read the Healing + Death article on the official site they talk there about trying to work around the Holy Trinity and in the same way that they don't have dedicated healer they also aren't building a dedicated tank class either. There will be CC's but a traditional tank option, probably not.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by EvilGeek

If you go read the Healing + Death article on the official site they talk there about trying to work around the Holy Trinity and in the same way that they don't have dedicated healer they also aren't building a dedicated tank class either. There will be CC's but a traditional tank option, probably not.

Well worth reading this article. It's interesting you seem to have noted that if there is not a healer then there may not be a tank. That's the score. You can create builds that lean towards taking more damage, and there are 2 heavy armour class professions, so there is scope, especially taking a shield in the off-arm and choosing skills that benefit "Control" abilities.

• overkill1991overkill1991 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the link to the article, an interesting read indeed.

I understand that the ''tank'' role will be called control in GW2 and you prevent your allies from getting damage through knockdowns, slowing enemies etc..   this seems to work great in a PvP environment.

The thing I'm still wondering about however is how this will play out in PvE encounters(what kind of endgame pve encounters will we see? raids/dungeons?), especially boss encounters. I'm assuming I can't just leap at a huge ogre 5 times my size for example and knock him down. What is preventing that boss for targeting one of my more fragile team members like an elementalist and obliterating him/her?

Added more info into the original post including: armour upgrades, achievements, attributes, consumables.

I'm probably going to streamline the info into more bullet points as a quicker introduction, there are some great threads, videos and posts around that expand on what we know.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

It's not made by SOE or Cryptic and it's not WoW, thats all I need to know.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Very nice read :)

Im very glad about the sidekick system. Since I played EQ2 which has a mentoring system, I realised that every lvlbased MMO will be better off with such a system. So its awesome that GW2 will have it too :)

• beyondangelsbeyondangels Member Posts: 49

Looking forward to the World v World PvP :D

Added some images to break up the wall of text, added images and info about the UI.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Informative interview about Necromancers. The information there also has other implications, no hexes in GW2.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/08/27/guild-wars-2-necromancer-interview/

For some reason it makes me a bit sad reading that. On the other hand, it reinforces the fact that GW2 is a very different game than GW. The news there though puts doubts in my mind on whether the Mesmer will be returning or not.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Brilliant thread mate.  Thank you.  I hate to say it but there are so many areas where I think GW2 > SWTOR.  I will likely play both but ArenaNet is just a brilliant development house which I have a great amount of admiration and respect for - I agree with every single decision they've made with GW2 thus far.  Can't say the same for TOR.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

before reading this I had misinformation in my brain about this game. After reading this I will at least give it a try.

Anyone know if they released system requirements? Im on a 4 year old machine.

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

Originally posted by Dudek28

before reading this I had misinformation in my brain about this game. After reading this I will at least give it a try.

Anyone know if they released system requirements? Im on a 4 year old machine.

I remember a dev saying that the game could run on anything as old as 5 years, if thats true then you should be fine :)

Originally posted by arenasb

Informative interview about Necromancers. The information there also has other implications, no hexes in GW2.

http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/08/27/guild-wars-2-necromancer-interview/

For some reason it makes me a bit sad reading that. On the other hand, it reinforces the fact that GW2 is a very different game than GW. The news there though puts doubts in my mind on whether the Mesmer will be returning or not.

if the mesmer does return it will just be a very different mesmer than the one in guild wars 1, like how the necro from gw2 is different from gw1

I understand that the ''tank'' role will be called control in GW2 and you prevent your allies from getting damage through knockdowns, slowing enemies etc..   this seems to work great in a PvP environment.

The thing I'm still wondering about however is how this will play out in PvE encounters(what kind of endgame pve encounters will we see? raids/dungeons?), especially boss encounters. I'm assuming I can't just leap at a huge ogre 5 times my size for example and knock him down. What is preventing that boss for targeting one of my more fragile team members like an elementalist and obliterating him/her?

If you look at some of the videos displaying skills on the guild wars 2 website for the different professions, you'll notice they often fight monsters that are of a greater size and can still cause knock down (example: when the ele uses meteor shower, the ogre stops and falls to one knee) . I think in terms of bosses, the'll be encounters much like the shatterer where they require a different kind of strategy than control, although it would still hold a role in keeping the minions at bay that spawn near the shatterer. An example of a warrior being helpfull other than control would be placing a banner down that heals allys in an area, or using a shout that buffs damage, you should remember that each class does not specifically  specialize in control support or damage, every profession has capabilitys in each; meaning you can help your teammates in any feasable way in acordance to the current situation. 

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Support, my friend. GW had a gameplay mode called Hard mode, basically it gave all monsters steroids. It increased their level, and changed their skills. Bosses have an automatic damage increase. Combine the two and its hurt city. GW also lacked any sort of formal tanking mechanic, so damage had to be mitigated when the mobs and bosses target the squishies. This was largely done with the monk's protection prayers, which reduced the damage taken, healed, and prevented damage. One of the more powerful skills was Protective Spirit, it reduced damage from all sources to 10% of the targets max health. There were plenty of other skills in the game that worked along the same principals, increasing armor, reducing the ammount of damage you can take, causing the opponent to miss, blocking, ect.

You can expect this same idea to pass onto GW2 to some degree, perhaps at a more CoH level, or maybe even more passive than that. The name of the game is damage mitigation and prevention. And so far, most professions seem to have this in one form or another. That makes me happy.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Great post, no doubt a great game in the making.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• VianVian Member Posts: 2

What an awesome post.  I've been scouring the internet for this information since they accounced GW2 on a regular basis  (including mmorpg.com) but never came to these boards to find it.

I should have done so sooner... Thanks for your efforts in getting this data together!

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

6 days no blog no news from arenanet. they must be working on something great :D pls feed me with some news!! xD

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Here's another hands on article from the PAX: TenTonHammer  hands on

The most interesting part that I didn't know yet:

In any case, I saw how projectile damage increased with proximity, encouraging ranged units to move around and find a sweet spot between too little damage and too much aggro.

It seems that range influences damage at least for some ranger spells, closer means more damage (but more aggro and vulnerability)

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

According to the people at GW2Guru that above statement about range influencing your damage is a bunch of BS. Take any article from TenTonHammer with a grain of salt, they get a lot of information wrong.

I diss Ten Ton Hammer and they come up with a really nice interview piece with game designer Izzy Cartwright, go figure ;-p

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/pax-combat

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by thedarkess

6 days no blog no news from arenanet. they must be working on something great :D pls feed me with some news!! xD

Here you go, if you have not already seen this 01:12 duration!

GDC Vault - Designing Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events

PAX Panel of Events: Designing a New Dynamic Event with the Developers

@ EvilGeek: think these could be added to OP under Dynamic Events?

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Originally posted by thedarkess
    Here you go, if you have not already seen this 01:12 duration!
    GDC Vault - Designing Guild Wars 2 Dynamic Events
    PAX Panel of Events: Designing a New Dynamic Event with the Developers
    @ EvilGeek: think these could be added to OP under Dynamic Events?

Added those two links under dynamic events. Also added a new 'extended experience' paragraph, containing brief info on phone app and web browser utilities, the current blog states they are expanding on these soon, I'll keep an eye out and expand here when they do.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished