Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When did Instant Gratification Usurp Adventure?

Comments

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Like I said before, imagine how the world would be if we could all be great musicians, or pro ball players just by buying a pill that sped up the process. The whole point is that youve invested the time and effort to get there, thats the price you pay for greatness.

You seem to think that you've earned the right to be great without working for it.

Equating playing video GAMES with greatness is just SILLY. Video games are ENTERTAINMENT, NOT pro  sports. People don't like to have their entertainment like a job. You don't require a PhD to understand a movie (and those do never have that big of a box office) for the same reasons.

You don't earn "rights" for anything in a video game. It is designed to give the player a fun time. Downing the LK is fun, and it gives an illusion of achievement. Please don't equate that with writing a scientific paper, or winning the NBA.

Anythign you work at to be better is a valid comaprison. PEOPLE PLAY GOLF FOR ENTERTAINMENT, AND EVERY OTHER SPORT.

from mw

1 a : a source of diversion : recreation b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in

The purpose seem the same to me.

I better edit this so people understand the words above.

Sports are also entertianment before competition, however, are both of these things.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by helthros

Originally posted by Philby

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Philby

Adventure = Getting wind of a beast in need of slaying. Finding some fellows to group as he is a mean one. Gearing up, crafting or buying potions at AH. Tracking the beast and after an intense battle you see he drops the +4 damage sword of uberness. You and your fellows roll and......YES!! you have won the roll.

Instant gratification = Logging in, seeing the +4 damage sword of uberness in the cash shop. Buying the sword with one fell swipe of your Visa card.  Going to the center of town to display your +4 damage sword in all its uberness.

So again, it's a vanity issue where there is no compatition. Also, why are you bringing up cash shops?

Cash shops are the natural course of instant gratification as is being seen more all the time. They appear when grinding dailies and achievments becomes to hard for the playerbase.

That's the funny thing about the references to heroics/dailies as 'instant gratitification'. How is it instant if it's limited per day?

Unless ther'es a cash shop selling games that directly affect gameplay, it isn't instant gratification. Period.

Heoric dungeons via the dungeon group finder -- another instant gratification tool since it does all of the "work" of assembling a group AND even teleports you right into the dungeon  -- allows you to do heroics beyond the daily lockout limit.

It's not "instant" gratification, but it's significantly 'less effort' gratification.

You can still do the work of finding a group if that's what you enjoy. Don't fool yourself, it's a great system. All those instances that would never get touched while levelingup, now see plenty of action. Dungeons like Occulus where people would try to avoid them at all costs, now see plenty of action.

You can sit there in trade like an idiot looking for a tank for 3 hours because your server doesn't have one that wants to do what you're doing at the time. If that's cool to you then more power to you, I guess. God forbid you play during off-peak hours. Who cares if you can do heorics beyond the daily lockout limit, there's only so much you can get through heroics. You don't seem to understand that.

"I really do not see how one would consider spamming a chat channels with LFG/LFM to be 'work'.  Running to a dungeon is not much of 'work' either.  The game does not reward you for any of this stuff so it does not consider it worthwhile either.  The real 'work' begins when you actually start fighting as a group to accomplish your goal in a dungeon. "

Amen man. The work should be the actual dungeon, working as a group. I don't see how spamming "LF Tank for blah" for 3 hours is part of the 'adventure'.

" Some would argue debating this topic a waste of time.

For me EQ1 was challenging because we played on a no rules pvp server we had to contend with far more than the non pvp servers. You relied on your teammates not only to progress but to survive. The quests were challenging, the raids were challenging, the every day life was challenging.

These days theres no sense of accomplishment. Theres no risk, so the rewards dont feel nearly as good."

No offense, but you sound like an old man. "Back in our day, we walked 3 miles uphill through feet of snow to get to school! And we did it because we enjoyed education unlike you youngsters these days!" "Back in our day we used to play futbol with a big rock, no shoes, and we loved every minute of it!"

" Like I said before, imagine how the world would be if we could all be great musicians, or pro ball players just by buying a pill that sped up the process. The whole point is that youve invested the time and effort to get there, thats the price you pay for greatness.

You seem to think that you've earned the right to be great without working for it."

Are you honestly comparing being a pro sports player to playing an MMO? Some of us are actually trying to do great things in real life. We don't need to come home to "work" in a video game.

Telling someone that's coming new to a game that they won't be ready to keep up with you for years is just downright silly. I don't even know if I'll be playing games in a year or two. I might not even live in the US anymore.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by Arcken

Remember in eq1 when you were actually proud of your character? You had to work at it, now everythings so easy I forget the names of my characters a week after i drop an MMO.
    No, I rember in EQ1 where I wasted tons of my time on pointless activites to chase that elsuive "fun". As far as your retention of the world and lore, thats a persioanl issue, you may try reading things in games. You can Challanging games, with out intentional tedium and harsh punishments that do nothing but waste the users time. Games are entertainment, not jobs.
    Skinner box abounds.

Actually what I remember most clearly is having met very good friends in eq1 that i had to cooperate with in order progress my character. We were a team at all times. It was a great social medium with a lot of challenge. Too bad most of the old school MMO'rs are gone and have been replaced with self entitled power gamers.

EQ1 isn't gone. You can sub right now. Very few play it because it's not a good game.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Originally posted by uquipu

EQ1 isn't gone. You can sub right now. Very few play it because it's not a good game.

The game has apparently changed quite a bit since it's heyday. In previous posts you have said that your first MMO was WOW (as was mine, sadly), so I find it strange that you can presume to advise people to try a dated +10 year-old game that you claim is not good. You weren't there for EQ, and neither was I.

Is Street Fighter II a bad game?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Originally posted by Cecropia

The game has apparently changed quite a bit since it's heyday. In previous posts you have said that your first MMO was WOW (as was mine, sadly), so I find it strange that you can presume to advise people to try a dated +10 year-old game that you claim is not good. You weren't there for EQ, and neither was I.

Street Fighter Alpha 2!! Damn I played that game like a madman in college. :D

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

to the OP, blame WoW

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by Cecropia

The game is still there yes, however the people that made it great are long gone. The biggest appeal to me looking back was the people that played it. This was before the era of 1337 speak, instances, auction houses, chuck norris and leeroy jenkins jokes, cash shops, hand holding quests, and more importantly the death of risk vs reward.

And the fact its still around and as I recall has had ongoing expansions tells me its at least a good game to some.

And yes, I do sound like an old man, that doesnt scare me, what does is that it was only 10 years ago that MMOs were inhabitated by a far different crowd than today, and every toon I see named "uberdarkninjakiller" just makes me feel even more out of touch with MMOs.

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Remember in eq1 when you were actually proud of your character? You had to work at it, now everythings so easy I forget the names of my characters a week after i drop an MMO.

No, I rember in EQ1 where I wasted tons of my time on pointless activites to chase that elsuive "fun". As far as your retention of the world and lore, thats a persioanl issue, you may try reading things in games. You can Challanging games, with out intentional tedium and harsh punishments that do nothing but waste the users time. Games are entertainment, not jobs.

Skinner box abounds.

Actually what I remember most clearly is having met very good friends in eq1 that i had to cooperate with in order progress my character. We were a team at all times. It was a great social medium with a lot of challenge. Too bad most of the old school MMO'rs are gone and have been replaced with self entitled power gamers.

Ultima Online is still around as well. Most players no longer play them because they are drastically different from their earlier days.

How about you and I plan to have this same conversation about Wow in six more years. Let's see if your fire for that game still shines as brightly.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• TicTocTicToc Member Posts: 6

All the complaining I've done to other gamers has finally found a home.  Thank you very much OP!

The last really solidly good game I’ve played was DaoC pre Atlantis. I’m basically in RL a I’ll do it myself thank you very much but when I started playing EQ 1 I found out that I lose if I do that. I actually became a guild leader to a very active 125 member guild there. We did all the quests for gear for our people together. That engendered a very strong feeling of brotherhood, friendships and in one case a marriage which is still going strong today.  DaoC was another game that if you don’t join up you lose most of the feel good, look what we got for our paladin, assassin, warrior or look at what my group/guild did for me! We read boards, emailed each other and cared about what happened whether in game or RL.

Now it’s ho hum let me mash another button…oh look at that a purple item dropped from this little mob in a level 10 area. Oh that’s a fabulous mace where’d you get it…sec, I’m going to alt tab out and buy me one. Where is the excitement in pulling out a credit card? I go food shopping and it’s about the same thrill. Instants? I can’t stand them. I used to crack up at the trains coming out of the dead side of Lower Guk. I know it pissed a lot of people off but I thought they were funny. Got my lower level rogue out and pulled many a corpse out of Sebilis. And I was told it couldn’t be done :p. Well I did it and had a blast creeping past mobs that were 10 levels above me. And would be cheered by the people whose corpses’ I was hauling. Played DaoC as an assassin, sneaking over to Midgard or Hibernia to see what the other 2 sides were up to for my guild, group and Albion! Calls would go out and off a bunch of groups and guilds would go and smash into a nice big battle. Rip a keep or two keep going and oh lala…a relic, lookie here.

Guilds used to advertise they were in dire need of a certain class. Now it’s a level and how well geared you are and must have cutting edge computer so we can all scream at you over Vent or TS...or now Skype is another option.  A guild I was in, in WoW tried to do it the right way, we’d roll over to Stormwind to pick a fight but everyone was too busy getting gear? Wth, we were on a PvP server and no one wanted to fight. That’s when gaming started to go downhill for me. WoW itself didn’t do it, the people who played did it. So we really can’t blame MMO Companies. They’re doing what the majority of people want. Many gamers don’t want to have to group up to find the perfect item. They either want to ezmode for it by being able to solo…I only have ½ hour to play before I go out for the night or they want to be able to buy it. If I owned a gaming company, I’d say give the stooges what they want and we make even more money. If those same people were willing to spend more than ½ hour playing a week they would have the same thrills and satisfactions I felt early on in gaming.  I am looking for that feeling still and haven’t found it. Beta tested half dozen games, played by paying another half dozen games and none could keep my interest for longer than 9 months and even that time span is getting less. Down to 2-4 months when I realize the game is another dull grinding solo expeience.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

>>Lets face it, MMOs today are turning into single player console games with a chat box included.

>>Arcken's quote

Pretty much sums it up. The variations are that most game developers are falling for the Monty Haul or "pull the lever get a prize" mentality of instant  gratification. Which I think appeals to younger and younger players, though later on they out grow that mind set of play when the sense of  "Challenge/Reward" grows dim to them. At first they love how they can get this and that, quickly , later on it pales and they just don't know why they aren't having as much fun as they once were.

Take WoW as an example, Blizzard has repeatly over the past three plus years down graded in game challenges from start to finish, and its an on going process that just doesn't appear to have an end goal on their part. I know it's what finally drove me away from playing.  Will I give the expansion a try when it comes out? Sure, they aren't much money but I doubt I'll stay because the game simply does not have a good sense of risk/challenge to reward ratio. I feel that Blizzard is now targeting the 7 to 10 year old players. For that age bracket WoW is awesome, easy and intuitive to play and they can get anything they want with very little effort.  For an exxperienced gamer.....not so much.

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

>>Lets face it, MMOs today are turning into single player console games with a chat box included.

>>Arcken's quote

Pretty much sums it up. The variations are that most game developers are falling for the Monty Haul or "pull the lever get a prize" mentality of instant  gratification. Which I think appeals to younger and younger players, though later on they out grow that mind set of play when the sense of  "Challenge/Reward" grows dim to them. At first they love how they can get this and that, quickly , later on it pales and they just don't know why they aren't having as much fun as they once were.

Take WoW as an example, Blizzard has repeatly over the past three plus years down graded in game challenges from start to finish, and its an on going process that just doesn't appear to have an end goal on their part. I know it's what finally drove me away from playing.  Will I give the expansion a try when it comes out? Sure, they aren't much money but I doubt I'll stay because the game simply does not have a good sense of risk/challenge to reward ratio. I feel that Blizzard is now targeting the 7 to 10 year old players. For that age bracket WoW is awesome, easy and intuitive to play and they can get anything they want with very little effort.  For an exxperienced gamer.....not so much.

I think your going in the right direction but I wouldn't say its an age gap issue. I feel its more with the age and overall history with MMO's in general. Most players who've frequented EQ, Ultima, and other mmo's that followed before and around WoW weren't hugely impressed by what WoW offered. It was fun I admit and a polished well built game, but it wasn't something that hit most vet mmo players and made them fall in love for the most part.

Most players, both kids to adults as far as age 30 even, who form the fanboys of WoW had overall minor forays into mmo's in general. They were also the crowd least likely to understand the history of "challenge and reward" system as it existed before WoW. 

The instant gratification was easier to grasp for beginners into mmo's since it is mostly a console gaming experience; do this get that, simple, easy straightforward. I think my biggest worry though is that the instant gratification model is going to be more widely accepted more so do to WoW's dominance in the industry and its overall impact. While wasn't initially gratification, it did modify how rewards were doled out and they weren't as extensive, time and ppl consuming vs. other mmo's. 

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Wonderful OP! I couldn't have said it better. I wish others would wise up. I don't really play any MMOs right now because of them becoming more and more like Walmart.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by nariusseldon

Like I said before, imagine how the world would be if we could all be great musicians, or pro ball players just by buying a pill that sped up the process. The whole point is that youve invested the time and effort to get there, thats the price you pay for greatness.

You seem to think that you've earned the right to be great without working for it.

Equating playing video GAMES with greatness is just SILLY. Video games are ENTERTAINMENT, NOT pro  sports. People don't like to have their entertainment like a job. You don't require a PhD to understand a movie (and those do never have that big of a box office) for the same reasons.

You don't earn "rights" for anything in a video game. It is designed to give the player a fun time. Downing the LK is fun, and it gives an illusion of achievement. Please don't equate that with writing a scientific paper, or winning the NBA.

People have different ideas of what "fun" is.

Some people like putting effort into something, and the more effort they put in, the more gratifying the result is. In part of this, the actual act of effort is a large part of the enjoyment.

Hobbyists, such as say model builders, derive enjoyment and pride out of assembling and painting models. The act of working to put it together and paint it is where much of the enjoyment comes from, and a lot of that pays off upon completion of the effort invested. To them, simply being given, or buying a completed model, isn't nearly as enjoying, or meaningful, as if they put it together themselves.

And that's what many of the "old school" gamers are. They're hobbyists, on top of being gamers. They don't want everything to be mind numbingly straightforward and easy. They don't want everything to be handed to them. Why? Because then the "accomplishments" mean very little. They want to enjoy a good challenge.

The other camp, which is a growing number of the new MMO gamers, care more about the ends. They want to blaze through the actual game to get to the carrot at the end of it. They more often than not don't care how they get there, so long as they get there, and fast. The sad irony of it is, that when a game is very easy to progress in, then everyone is "powerful". And when everyone is powerful, then noone is powerful. If anyone can level to max level, and then quickly and easily deck out their character in epics, then what sense of accomplishment is there when you just did what anyone with half a brain and a credit card can do?

• LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

Yes, yes, YES! I DO remember those times. Took year to get to max lvl, and then 1,5 yrs to get my fighter that Blade of War from Rallos Zek. God which popped only once per week and that spawn was shared to ALL players on server, no instances for every raid. And from those 52 RZs killed in year not every time drop that sword. Guilds are fighting and making deals to get raid and when one at last got that thing - that was achievment. Now for every group his instance, his god or ybah dragon and "market" is overeflown with "unique items" which arn't unique anymore in any terms.

I remember Veeshan's Peak where only few and brave raids went cuz once entered no way back - only kill thru or lost all ya equipment in zone. No zone out, no port out. That was thrill ya never meet in now-a-day MMOs. Death penalty made ya think twice before  acting, now in LOTRO I used " death-lift" when lazy to run out from dungeon after raid win I jump to lava or poison lake and get in sec to outside's safe point. Waht means those few % lowered stats for 10 mins? What means those few silver to repair equipment when I grab such a gold I have nothing to do with.

All this is like play Doom with IDKFA & IDDQD :) No adventure any more, left for us is babysitting themeparks.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Answer to the thread topic is as simple as you could assume: Ever since the impatient kids in WoW started to whine about stuff being hard for solo players (which MMO's were never meant to be about in the first place) and Blizzard giving into every crying kids demands. Afterwards they haven't been the same again and probably never will.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • LucziferLuczifer Member UncommonPosts: 155

Very interesting and FUN new MMO for every casual insta grat looker:

1) Ya log into yar new F2P game

2) Ya choose yar name (if prohibited by rules, throw cash and rules change)

3) Ya enter yar world's cash shop

4) Ya buy Potion of InstaLeveling (10 USD for each 10 lvl, no upper limit)

5) Ya buy yar Armor-set (10 USD for each +1 defence, no upper limit)

6) Ya buy yar Yber-L33t-Sword-of-Yberness (10 USD for each +1 damage, no upper limit)

7) Ya buy yar Token of Insurance Against Meeting Somebody Who Is Higher Lvl Than Ya for 1000 USD

8) Step into world and start impudent over those not-having-so-many-$$$ and start to grind poor noobs.

9) Stay instantly gratificated for ever.

10) Die with happy stupid smile on face.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Luczifer

Very interesting and FUN new MMO for every casual insta grat looker:

1) Ya log into yar new F2P game

2) Ya choose yar name (if prohibited by rules, throw cash and rules change)

3) Ya enter yar world's cash shop

4) Ya buy Potion of InstaLeveling (10 USD for each 10 lvl, no upper limit)

5) Ya buy yar Armor-set (10 USD for each +1 defence, no upper limit)

6) Ya buy yar Yber-L33t-Sword-of-Yberness (10 USD for each +1 damage, no upper limit)

7) Ya buy yar Token of Insurance Against Meeting Somebody Who Is Higher Lvl Than Ya for 1000 USD

8) Step into world and start impudent over those not-having-so-many-$$$ and start to grind poor noobs.

9) Stay instantly gratificated for ever.

10) Die with happy stupid smile on face.

Damn you sure do like to exaggerate. If most casuals wanted that not even wow would have a player base anymore.

• madnessman13madnessman13 Member UncommonPosts: 91

yea lol but in some cases thats almost true and its sad but you will always have players who dont want to spend there money to get the items they want and you wil always have players who do so i think it balances out with the people who do and dont WoW doesnt have a in game money item shop place and yet they have many players but thats just WoW thats my opionion :)

madnessman

• SquiggieSquiggie Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Ceridith

People have different ideas of what "fun" is.

Some people like putting effort into something, and the more effort they put in, the more gratifying the result is. In part of this, the actual act of effort is a large part of the enjoyment.

Hobbyists, such as say model builders, derive enjoyment and pride out of assembling and painting models. The act of working to put it together and paint it is where much of the enjoyment comes from, and a lot of that pays off upon completion of the effort invested. To them, simply being given, or buying a completed model, isn't nearly as enjoying, or meaningful, as if they put it together themselves.

And that's what many of the "old school" gamers are. They're hobbyists, on top of being gamers. They don't want everything to be mind numbingly straightforward and easy. They don't want everything to be handed to them. Why? Because then the "accomplishments" mean very little. They want to enjoy a good challenge.

The other camp, which is a growing number of the new MMO gamers, care more about the ends. They want to blaze through the actual game to get to the carrot at the end of it. They more often than not don't care how they get there, so long as they get there, and fast. The sad irony of it is, that when a game is very easy to progress in, then everyone is "powerful". And when everyone is powerful, then noone is powerful. If anyone can level to max level, and then quickly and easily deck out their character in epics, then what sense of accomplishment is there when you just did what anyone with half a brain and a credit card can do?

And this is what is killing games for the hobbyists, because they can not compete unless they speed through the game to get to the same levels as the ones who do...which completely defeats the whole reason they are playing.  

I, like many of the other "old school" gamers, am just about ready to give up on MMO's.  It's just too hard to find like-minded people playing anymore.  

• woeyewoeye Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by SuperXero89

In the days of Everquest I always used to say that the gameplay found in MMOs was fun for a short time, but the reason people stuck around so long was the community.  Now that game developers have focused more on improving aspects of gameplay rather than aspects of the community, for better or worse, the opposite is in effect.

I still don't think this lends to games tending to the "instant gratification crowd" because I don't believe there is such a crowd.  As I explained earlier, video games are for fun.  They're nothing more than a hobby, which in an of itself, is just a form of escapism.  Many gamers are working teenagers, college students, or fully grown adults with full time jobs and a family to take care of.  These gamers "work" enough in the real world, and the last thing they want to do is "work" inside of a video game.  The problem with a lot of the older MMORPGs is that they were nothing more than grinds.  When you strip away the community --the human element-- you're left with a shell of a game world with little else to do than to go out and grind mobs for hours on end for no other purpose than to level up your character to grind on even stronger mobs.  The communities of games like UO, DAoC, and Everquest quite literally made the game.

Modern MMORPGs have done a way with a lot of the tedium of the previous generation of MMORPGs, and I think that's where a lot of the "instant gratification" rhetoric originates, but I challenge those who promote that ideology to actually come up with some examples of said instant gratification.  Sure, games have gotten easier, but that's just a sign of the times.  Games were getting easier and easier long before Everquest and UO were the kings of the MMORPG market.  Ironically, we had a similar crowd crying over games being too easy back then just as we do now, but the fact is, while games have had a lot of the challenge and tedium removed, there still isn't an "instant gratification" game, and there's challenge in every game if you know where to look for it.  A good case in point is World of Warcraft. Like the guy in the video I linked said, getting gear still requires a time commitment and isn't really any "easier" than it ever was.  In fact, it may even be harder when you consider how easily a few poor players could get lost in the shuffle of 38 other skilled players in one of vanilla WoW's original 40 man raids.  It was much easier to slack off and to not perform when you had so many people to make up for your lack of effort.  In current WoW's 25 man raids, this is evident as well.  In raids like the Blood Council, there may be 8 other ranged DPS classes around you to keep the orbs from hitting the floor whereas in 10-man there may only be one more, which probably can't prevent all the orbs from dropping on his or her own.

The badge system is yet another instance of how WoW has been made a bit more casual but not so much easier. Now, every time you kill a boss in a raid, you get "something" of value even if it's just a few frost badges.  Those frost badges can then be turned in for raid quality gear.  It's far less time consuming and less tedious, but it still fosters a sense of accomplishment. In essence, you still have to work for what you get.  Nothing is handed to you on a silver platter.  It takes dedication and effort to get that gear.  The only difference is that in vanilla WoW it took a bit more dedication and a bit more effort.  Vanilla WoW was not any more difficult than current WoW.  The sooner those who cry "instant gratification" realize that dedication and effort do not equal difficulty, the sooner we might start working towards some theoretical alternative to the carotte on a stick dog and pony shows that are modern MMORPGs.

Here are some points why I think WoW actually has become much easier:

• Instance running  up to level 80 including heroic instances has turned into AoE bombing feasts. Many players are complaining that Blizz has oversimplified things a bit too much and that instances except high level raids have become boring. Blizz even admitted this and they're going to address this in Cataclysm.

• Due to the low low-level population Blizz has removed almost every elite-zone in the old content, like the orcs in Redredige or the castle in Arathi highlands. For the single player who wishes to level up this was a good move. But community-wise it was a bad move imho. And does really every inch of the map have to play solo player friendly? I think not.

• Many raid leaders complain they have a hard time finding skilled players. Because the skill gap between up to level 80 and high end raid instances is just too big.

I fully agree that MMORPGs should _not_ be tedious. But games should still be challenging. I mean, what's the point of games without challenge? Right, they get boring very, very quickly. Personally I've given up on MMORPGs these days. Since MMORPGs have given up on team play and community one can play single player games as well. And most single player games are way more challenging than WoW, too. At least I have may more fun playing Borderlands, Uncharted, Batman, Assassin's Creed and so on and on.

I do not miss the gameplay of WoW. But I do miss the old community and the adventures I had with my friends. These times, however, are gone forever.
  • ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

These old stories are great, whether its corpse running through lguk (which btw, I camped the ghoulbale for 27 hours straight once) or getting the infamous blade of zek. Those were memories that other games these days do not generate.

• AcmegamerAcmegamer Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by sdeleon515

Originally posted by AcmeGamer

>>Arcken's quote

I think your going in the right direction but I wouldn't say its an age gap issue. I feel its more with the age and overall history with MMO's in general. Most players who've frequented EQ, Ultima, and other mmo's that followed before and around WoW weren't hugely impressed by what WoW offered. It was fun I admit and a polished well built game, but it wasn't something that hit most vet mmo players and made them fall in love for the most part.

Most players, both kids to adults as far as age 30 even, who form the fanboys of WoW had overall minor forays into mmo's in general. They were also the crowd least likely to understand the history of "challenge and reward" system as it existed before WoW. 

The instant gratification was easier to grasp for beginners into mmo's since it is mostly a console gaming experience; do this get that, simple, easy straightforward. I think my biggest worry though is that the instant gratification model is going to be more widely accepted more so do to WoW's dominance in the industry and its overall impact. While wasn't initially gratification, it did modify how rewards were doled out and they weren't as extensive, time and ppl consuming vs. other mmo's. 

I agree with your points, I just personally feel that at times that Blizzards game plan "is" to market to a very young player.  I think you are correct that  I really should have said that they were aiming towards a "new to the genre" player, where everything did come off as fresh, intutative and fun. I also hope that Blizzard and other companies for that matter don't make this "the standard" business model for game design.  Actually I'd love to see some game designer(s) push the envelope and design more thought required/challenging games again. A company like Blizzard who has a large on going money generator could afford to have a "smaller" money genning game that appeals to the veteran game player who wants and expects more from a game than the instant gratification flash/fluff that has become the norm.

Honestly though I dont think that will happen based on what I have seen over the past twenty years online. Most companines take the easy way out to give players what the "thinks" they want and to the widest audience possible. In order of course to make money, because we can't forget that these companies are indeed...companies. They do want to turn a profit, put food on their own childrens table etc. I can't blame them for wanting to secure their present and future. I do wish though that we'd see more of what we've all mostly been talking about.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Fusion

Answer to the thread topic is as simple as you could assume: Ever since the impatient kids in WoW started to whine about stuff being hard for solo players (which MMO's were never meant to be about in the first place) and Blizzard giving into every crying kids demands. Afterwards they haven't been the same again and probably never will.

See^..  truth

But people who started with WoW don't see how WoW and their own ignorance ruined the MMO space with the incessant complaining and dumbing down of the entire genre', not just WoW.

What many WoW Players don't even realize, is that even games like Everquest and DAOC where changed after 5~6 years of running, after WoW massive success. Everquest, DAOC, SWG, etc.. all started getting easier, with more "perks" & "hand outs" and dumbed down mechanics when both SOE & Mythic lost their minds & went after the WoW players.

Everquest was nearly ruined as they tried to copy WoW success of making easy game... but all they actually did was alienate their own core players who could no longer stand their fav game.

These developers ruined their own games, in hopes of luring subs from WoW. With it, came all the incessant complaining that is still prevelaint on almost any forum you goto.

That is why a good many oldscool players are on the fence waiting for a developer to bring back challenging game play & have high disdain for these people who think every game, now has to be like WoW and are perpetuating this insanity. .

Everthing since WoW has to be a themepark, because it is all the new MMO space knows (ie: newbies)... because some 16 million players no nothing other than themepark.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Phelcher

See^..  truth

But people who started with WoW don't see how WoW and their own ignorance ruined the MMO space with the incessant complaining and dumbing down of the entire genre', not just WoW.

What many WoW Players don't even realize, is that even games like Everquest and DAOC where changed after 5~6 years of running, after WoW massive success. Everquest, DAOC, SWG, etc.. all started getting easier, with more "perks" & "hand outs" and dumbed down mechanics when both SOE & Mythic lost their minds & went after the WoW players.

Everquest was nearly ruined as they tried to copy WoW success of making easy game... but all they actually did was alienate their own core players who could no longer stand their fav game. These developers ruined their own games, in hopes of luring subs from WoW. With it, came all the incessant complaining that is still prevelaint on almost any forum you goto.

That is why a good many oldscool players are on the fence waiting for a developer to bring back challenging game play & have high disdain for these people who think every game, now has to be like WoW and are perpetuating this insanity. .

Everthing since WoW has to be a themepark, because it is all the new MMO space knows (ie: newbies)... because some 16 million players no nothing other than themepark.

Whine all you want but blizzard didn't do anything to ruin the genre. Most old school players actually play WoW, LOTRO, or Eve. Also its not that they don't know about more than themepark mmos they particularly choose to play WoW because almost everything else out their is second rate besides a select few. It really isn't blizzards fault that other company refuse to realize one simple rule to success. POLISH AND TIME. You need both to create a good game. Pretty much everything thats been released since WOW was rushed and had minimum content with 2nd rate game play. Literally LOTRO and EVE are the only two games that actually proved that.

• YilelienYilelien Member UncommonPosts: 324

Originally posted by Phelcher

See^..  truth

Everquest was nearly ruined as they tried to copy WoW success of making easy game... but all they actually did was alienate their own core players who could no longer stand their fav game. These developers ruined their own games, in hopes of luring subs from WoW. With it, came all the incessant complaining that is still prevelaint on almost any forum you goto.

You good sirs get gold stars!