Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atlantica Online: Troy Update: Tactical Battle System & MyHome Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton had the opportunity for a tour of the latest update to Atlantica Online. Called "Troy", the update brings the continent of Africa into the game. It is set to go live on all servers later this week and features a new tactical battle system and player housing. Read all of Michael's thoughts about Troy.

Troy’s second stand-out feature is the new MyHome system, which as its name would imply, adds player housing to Atlantica Online. NDOORS is adding housing to Atlantica Online to foster a stronger sense of community by allowing players to visit and rate each other’s homes. When we were transported to one of the player homes being shown off I found the experience altogether a bit jarring. We’d just come from a sandy battlefield where we cut down enemies and blasted people with cannons, only to turn around and hang out, heavy armor and all, in what looked like a typical suburban home on a typical suburban block.

Read more about the Atlantica Online Troy update.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

awesome new battle system... horrible housing idea.. Just more ways to use money in the cash shop it seems..

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by Vyeth

awesome new battle system... horrible housing idea.. Just more ways to use money in the cash shop it seems..

If you read the article fully then you'll know that none of the housing items are available in the cash shop, and according to NDOORS they have no plans for this. Everything is available in game.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Question - when is it slated to be dropped into the game?

I've been looking for an excuse to hop back in, but just can't seem to get myself to actually do it atm.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

I hit level 120 on this on two different characters, but it just seems pointless to play after that. The grind goes from bad but bearable to completely insane. But because there are people who spend their whole lives playing games you can never catch up.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

If the cap is at 120... then I assume it's possible to catch up.

I mean, there is a [limit]. It's not like Maple Story or anything.

Plus, you just said you hit it twice - you caught up, twice.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

The lvl cap is 130 right now.

AO is one of the few f2p games wich has a lot of updates. I have to give them credit for that.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,310

Originally posted by GTwander

Question - when is it slated to be dropped into the game?

I've been looking for an excuse to hop back in, but just can't seem to get myself to actually do it atm.

Patched in yesterday. Haven't downloaded it yet but I will this weekend (hopefully). And the level cap has been increased to 140. Patch notes.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• madsdafemadsdafe Member UncommonPosts: 11

havent patched yet but these updates sound incredible, cant wait to try it out

• RegomarRegomar Member Posts: 122

This patch was both good and bad.  The new battle system is good but is generally agreed that the mobs in it hit WAY too hard.  Level 130's in a  full group were having SERIOUS trouble with getting mercs 1-shotted in the level 95 Troy dungeon.  Seriously.

Along with these neat new additions we got:

- Yet another in a long string of loot nerfs making gearing up at a high level almost impossible without heavy item mall usage

- Nerf to the Jackpot system which was the main way people in the game made money

- Daily quests now reset only 2 or 3 times a week, making it very difficult to level or train new mercs.

- You can now only reset a questline once a day through Hui Ciao, meaning that if you were below 130 before this patch, good luck getting there (or to 140).  Since there is almost no content other then the almost impossible TBS battles for 120+, resetting quests was the only way to progress.  Now you can't.

- The new merc-only earrings and bracelets are twice as expensive as they are in Korean Atlantica for no reason, meaning it will cost almost 5 billion gold to outfit your mercs in them and there will be a serious shortage of mounts for people to buy with in-game gold since all item mallers will be sacrificing their mounts and cloths for these bracelets and earrings (the only way to get them into circulation in the first place)

- Any decent My Home items require Atlas Ore, which is an item mall only commodity.

- Raising level cap from 130 to 140, when there's nowhere near enough content to get from 120-130 (without repeating quests the same quests a hundred times), and less than a  single level's worth of content from 130-140.  But if you want to compete in PvP, you'll have to grind those levels anyway or lose.

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84

One good point about NDOORS is they keep adding new stuff in game. On a game which is free at the base of it. This is not bad.

Anyway, this update won't bring me back ingame. I played for one year. Got to lvl 120. Then I was bugged during the birthday gift and didn't received the huge amount of experience I should had. In fact I lost experience during the gift. Customer support decided to ignore my numerous complaints. So I simply quit.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Its worth mentioning  that this  patch  compeletly destroyed the fl  match ups

111 vs  :x 130+ (3 gear tier diffs)have fun fighting ppl that do twice as much damage as you  and whos melees have   8k+ more hp then yours.

Every patch is a new nerf so even tho we do get updates its mostly just weak content with an excuse to add more drop rate nerfs. A class mercs = IM mercs = highly OP merc  TBS is weak it wasnt  worth losing  our dailys over and 130>140 is 20-30b+ extra exp  which is still 2/3 times more exp then whats needed to reach 1>130.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This is becoming far too common in the f2p world these days.  Ridiculous grinding at the upper levels with only heavy use of the cash shop to alleviate it some.  Spending large amounts to equip your character and then having to do it all over again when they raise the level cap.  

These games are unending money pits.  Good luck trying to pvp in such an environment.  Seems that the only thing these companies have on common is the ability to make the players that get to the higher levels pay through the nose.  Runes of Magic just did the same exact thing as an example.

What kind of company penalizes the players that actually spend money on the game?