Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG rollback will never happen.

Unfortunately a rollback will never be realized due to LA not wanting to admit they screwed up.

The NGE wasn't SOE's fault, LA forced it on them, but they've been taking it on the chin for years due to poor understanding of this game and the people who played it. La only saw dollar signs and felt copying WoW play they could cash in, then (after a truly spectacular failure) in the true spirit of corporate politics wouldn't admit any fault, as this would result in a major change in management .

Now that there's a new game in the offing from the star  wars universe, this game is well and truly dead.

I for one would be happy to see the original engine reskinned, updated and a new "universe" created that is immune to outside influence.

If SOE is smart enough to do this they may actually make a minor comeback in the MMO community, and lose the image they currently have of being LA's "prison girlfriend".

Odds are they didn't retain the original engine in umolested form, or they didn't retain the rights to it when they set the contracts with LA, but there's always hope.

I miss my flashlight.

Comments

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by R1mcr33p3r

Unfortunately a rollback will never be realized due to LA not wanting to admit they screwed up.

The NGE wasn't SOE's fault, LA forced it on them, but they've been taking it on the chin for years due to poor understanding of this game and the people who played it. La only saw dollar signs and felt copying WoW play they could cash in, then (after a truly spectacular failure) in the true spirit of corporate politics wouldn't admit any fault, as this would result in a major change in management .

Now that there's a new game in the offing from the star  wars universe, this game is well and truly dead.

I for one would be happy to see the original engine reskinned, updated and a new "universe" created that is immune to outside influence.

If SOE is smart enough to do this they may actually make a minor comeback in the MMO community, and lose the image they currently have of being LA's "prison girlfriend".

Odds are they didn't retain the original engine in umolested form, or they didn't retain the rights to it when they set the contracts with LA, but there's always hope.

I miss my flashlight.

Whether or not LA forced the change upon them is irrelevent. The way they implimented it left alot to be desired, it was very underhanded.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

WOW! What a new and innovative perspective on this topic. Seriously...let the horse die in peace already.

• KidfierceKidfierce Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by bigsmiff

WOW! What a new and innovative perspective on this topic. Seriously...let the horse die in peace already.

WoW!  What a new and innovative juvenile retort to a discussion.  Seriously...if the topic bothered you, why even click on the thread title and come in here?

I used to play SWG.  I loved it.   I agree they'd have a lot of new and vet players.

• ValeranValeran Member Posts: 925

LA's sin was approving the change.  The NGE was the total brainfart of Freeman and OM NOM NOM which were $OE worker bees. 

--------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

"SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

So you would roll a horrid game back to the time it was just simply a bad game. Well an upgrade is an upgrade i suppose.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Frostbite05

So you would roll a horrid game back to the time it was just simply a bad game. Well an upgrade is an upgrade i suppose.

Exactly lol!

As "bad" as pre-NGE may have been, I do feel it was 100x's more involved, entertaining and meaningful than the current game is. FAR from perfect, but the depth and the community was what I played for. Sadly, anything run by SoE though is simply not worth paying for IMO.

• NyQuil81NyQuil81 Member Posts: 101

I can't believe that people still get all butt-hurt about this.  Yes, it was a huge F-you to the players, yes it was pretty epic fail AT THE TIME.

But these days, epic fail for MMOs is par for the course.  Funcom/AoC screwed over ALOT more people than the NGE ever did.  WAR too.  And need I even mention Cryptic, and their CO/STO atrocity?  MORTAL Online, Alganon, Allods.  In the grand wasteland of failed MMOs and disasterous developers, the SWG fiasco actually seems fairly benign and insignificant to me.  Of course, I still play SoE games...because even after all the bad decisions theyve made, they still rank WAY above the average MMO developer that has come after them.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

As the famous philosopher, Chris Rock, once said:

"Never.  Nevvvver!  You know how they talk about 'never saying never'?  Well, I'm saying NEVER!"

I'm sure he was talking about an SWG rollback.

Not saying I agree with the OP as to WHY it'll never happen.  But trust me.  It'll NEVER happen.

• zazzzazz Member UncommonPosts: 408

I miss my flashlight.

Really its been what 5-6 yrs and you just come to this conclusion after what estimated guess of this same topic a 250,000 times?

Thanks for sharing

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I'm pretty sure almost everyone gave up on getting the original game back during the combat upgrade.  It was a dead issue before the nge rolled into town.  Nostalgia is just getting confused for desire these days. 

Really and honestly it doesn't matter what version of the game is reinstituted, revamped or offered.  The company that was in charge is still in charge and they have not changed.

• Soe couldn't get the job done with SWG at release

• Soe couldn't make swg work with the combat upgrade

• Soe couldn't make swg work with the nge

The problem isn't what version of star wars is being offered.  SWG has always been a disfunctional product, because the company in charge gave up on crafting awesome games long long ago. 

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Daffid011

I'm pretty sure almost everyone gave up on getting the original game back during the combat upgrade.  It was a dead issue before the nge rolled into town.  Nostalgia is just getting confused for desire these days. 

Really and honestly it doesn't matter what version of the game is reinstituted, revamped or offered.  The company that was in charge is still in charge and they have not changed.

• Soe couldn't get the job done with SWG at release

• Soe couldn't make swg work with the combat upgrade

• Soe couldn't make swg work with the nge

The problem isn't what version of star wars is being offered.  SWG has always been a disfunctional product, because the company in charge gave up on crafting awesome games long long ago. 

QFE

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

Really, I have to second this.  Why was this thread created?

If you had some NEW insight, I might think differently.  But, really, why?

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

"rollback = admitting they screwed up" has got to stop being said. Look at the number of subscribers and the closed servers and the negative publicity. They never got the WoW population they wanted. They never even got the precu population they used to have.

They already know they screwed up and they know we know it. A rollback wouldn't be admitting anything new. They wont rollback for other reasons.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

The NGE wasn't SOE's fault, LA forced it on them, but they've been taking it on the chin for years due to poor understanding of this game and the people who played it.

The NGE was concieved at SOE, from the SWG dev team.  LEC allowed SOE to make the changes, they did not force them to make the changes.  Jeff Freeman (former lead gameplay designer of SWG) made it semi-clear in his posts on this very forum (his user name was "Dundee"), Dan Rubenfield (former lead designer of SWG at the time the NGE was concieved and developed) made it clear in the original version of his infamous blog post (the one where he told everyone who didn't think the NGE was the greatest thing ever to eat a dick), Alan Crosby (Brenlo, then Director of Community Relations at the time) made it clear on the official SWG forum (he was directly asked if LEC forced the changes and he relied "no"), and even John Smedley has said the changes were SOE's idea in a few interviews.

The NGE was concieved at SOE.  LEC allowed them to implement is.  The NGE was not forced on SOE.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Dead horse accoustics are nothing to joke about! *thud tadadadathud!*

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Your right, it will never happen but on the bright side you have created a new thread for everyone to flame SOE and relive the good old days. Good therapy.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Obee

The NGE wasn't SOE's fault, LA forced it on them, but they've been taking it on the chin for years due to poor understanding of this game and the people who played it.

The NGE was concieved at SOE, from the SWG dev team.  LEC allowed SOE to make the changes, they did not force them to make the changes.  Jeff Freeman (former lead gameplay designer of SWG) made it semi-clear in his posts on this very forum (his user name was "Dundee"), Dan Rubenfield (former lead designer of SWG at the time the NGE was concieved and developed) made it clear in the original version of his infamous blog post (the one where he told everyone who didn't think the NGE was the greatest thing ever to eat a dick), Alan Crosby (Brenlo, then Director of Community Relations at the time) made it clear on the official SWG forum (he was directly asked if LEC forced the changes and he relied "no"), and even John Smedley has said the changes were SOE's idea in a few interviews.

The NGE was concieved at SOE.  LEC allowed them to implement is.  The NGE was not forced on SOE.

Stop replying with facts!!!

It's so much easier to believe that poor SoE had nothing to do with it - in fact...

I once heard that it was actually George Lucas himself who asked for the change as his children were having a difficult time with SWG. See, Jett Lucas wanted to play a Jedi toon. However, with his blossoming, action riddled acting career in full bloom, his busy schedule prevented him from grinding out the necessary FS XP to advance to the ranks of "Jedi Knight". Reluctantly Jett accepted that unless something changed, he would be doomed to the life of a lowly Moisture Farmer in his fathers universe...a universe he should have ruled tbh. Being the proud father that George was/is, he requested something be done to ensure Jett could fulfill his dream of becoming a REAL a Jedi Knight...the rest is history.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by tman5

Really, I have to second this.  Why was this thread created?

If you had some NEW insight, I might think differently.  But, really, why?

Never let this horse die.  Even if they never bring back a classic SWG server, which likely won't happen.  The reason to never let this die is to remind all MMO companies of what a huge mistake was made and the consequences of treating your players with such disrespect.

• AnobacaAnobaca Member Posts: 68

Rollback? After they added fishing to the game never. Even of they did not sure it would be the same since the chance of people who played it in the past returning are slimmer then the chance of a rollback. Eh it is for the best I never thought I played it that much but as time has pasted I can see I played it more then I should have.

I think I can live with screen shots from pre-cu not really sure I want to play it again. Not as swg maybe someday in another game. Eh I am tired that made no sense sorry image

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Anobaca

Rollback? After they added fishing to the game never.

Huh? I think fishing has been in since launch.

Eh I am tired that made no sense sorry image

Well, there's still the flightless bird. I was surveying and sampling there the other night and the sound effects pulled my sister and brother-in-law right over to see what I was doing. We've all moved on but never forgotten.

• AnobacaAnobaca Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by Anobaca

Rollback? After they added fishing to the game never.

Huh? I think fishing has been in since launch.

Eh I am tired that made no sense sorry image

Well, there's still the flightless bird. I was surveying and sampling there the other night and the sound effects pulled my sister and brother-in-law right over to see what I was doing. We've all moved on but never forgotten.

You needed fish meat for I believe pet stims d if I remeber correctly. I use to get that for some people to help out since at one point I was  MCH and seemed to fall into helping people try the class. They moved on I stayed with MCH. The adding fishing to the game was refrance to what seemed to be a big deal they added or revamped fishing. I got some e-mail talking about it. I do not know if they removed it or not I left before the NGE went live after trying it on test server.

As far as a rollback I do not seeing it happening but since I am at the point I no longer care who knows maybe it will. The people I knew then are gone and there is a part of me that do nto want to see them again(there avatars). Not that I do nto like them just do not and I can not explain. I think what did make the game was the community and to this day I still can not believe Gorath server had a bad rep (not sure if it was just the fourms) because I have largely fond memories.

Spam is Ham's red headed stepchild :P

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

SWG Pre CU is still the masterpiece. Good thing we don't need $OE for it anymore.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

L.A. has all but forgotten SWG.  I'd go as far to say that if they could erase its existence and all memory of it they would.  Well, the existence one may happen once SW:TOR comes out.