Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Templar Hub Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has revealed that London will be the physical and spiritual home of the Templars in its newest game, The Secret World. PC-IGN caught up with Ragnar Tornquist, Lead Developer for The Secret World and talked with him about the London zone. While the Templars are exclusively based in London, the other two factions, the Illuminati and the Dragon will also have a presence there as well. According to Torquist, the London zone is the largest 'hub' in the game and will feature the most social  game mechanics.

These take the form of a pub called the Horned God, a theatre where players may "put on performances and be applauded or booed off the stage, a dance floor where you'll quite literally take part in dance-offs, and the Fight Club," which is home to friendly (but, we're told, bloody) sparring. " That doesn't mean, however, that the other hubs - Seoul and New York - are small. They form the foundation of the Illuminati and Dragon storylines and gameplay, and there are many exciting areas to explore and secrets to uncover."

Torquist also noted that parts of London will seem familiar and will mirror real life locations. However, he noted, some areas are purely fictional or license has been taken to alter the real world aspects a bit. In addition, there are 'otherworldly' places in London where a demonic presence is definitely felt. Tornquist says, "places where the walls between worlds are thin, and where darker things sometimes leak through. Places that haven't changed much in a thousand years, and where you'll meet more unsavoury sorts that don't like to mingle with the tourists."

Players choosing the Templar faction will begin the game's journey in London with initial quests and the city will feature areas that are 'Templar only'. Those without the correct identification are prohibited from entering.

The article is informative and interesting, so be sure to swing by PCIGN.com and check it out!

Thanks to Cyphers and Darkholme for the tip.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

While the article definitely piques my interest so did all the information provided about AoC leading up to release.  After the terrible experience I had with that I will remain skeptical of any Funcom release until after launch.

Steam: Neph

• XantheousXantheous Member Posts: 121

This

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

best thing to do is wait till one month after the launch then start to dig for info about the game, I do that on everygame then I see if the game is worth of my money :P, I did that with aion and I still play it, and every MMo on launch have problems so its better wait a little

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KradathKradath Member Posts: 9

While it is of course always good to be sceptical it should not be forgotten that while both MMOs were/are done by funcom, the internal development teams remain totally different groups.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I'm definitely interested.  Looking forward to open beta, which will hopefully be more open than AoC's open beta...

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

They should have researched their history better.  London makes no sense.  The modern Templar base is well known to be Glasgow Scotland.

http://www.skt.org.uk/January.html

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I vaguely recalled that the TSW Templar faction wasn't the same as the historical Templars, so I did some searching and found it on the TSW wiki:

Despite the naming and symbolism which heavily references the Knights Templar, Funcom has stressed that this faction is purely fictional and the background of the faction begins during the time of Babylon, long before Christianity even existed. The Templars in-game won't be restricted to any religion or race.

Also, Ragnar Tornquist (game director, Dreamfall) talked about this issue in a Twitter interview where the following was stated:

brinstar: On TSW forums players are associating Templars with Christianity. Will the devs distance the faction from religion?

Ragnar: Templars aren't about Christianity. They're about Faith. Which is different. And also about kicking demon ass

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

Very interesting, although I'll probably be playing Illuminati myself. 

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93

first off AoC didnt take this long to come out if you guys know about this game besides now that info is out it has been in the works for many many years lol

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

Originally posted by Nephaerius

While the article definitely piques my interest so did all the information provided about AoC leading up to release.  After the terrible experience I had with that I will remain skeptical of any Funcom release until after launch.

I'm with ya, but there's no reason to single out Funcom alone.

I mean even though FC does have one of the poorest record at launches (AO and AoC), I'd be careful of any hyped up game.  Hype kills a game!

• Grotar89Grotar89 Member UncommonPosts: 347

Well at least Gaute Godager is not working on this game, Looks to me Ragnar knows what he is doing.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

They should have researched their history better.  London makes no sense.  The modern Templar base is well known to be Glasgow Scotland.

1Templars are different as was already said befor eme. They ar not "christians" in this  game.

2. The TSW!London is an alternate universe London. Its not identical to ours. its purposely different. its history, its secrets, its lore is different. There are many things identical to "our world", but for all purposes its an alternate universe london.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Well if that's the case then they will be easy for other factions to spot. "Just look for the guys in tacksuits that smell of Famous Grouse and deep fried pizza."

The more I hear of this game the more intrigued I am. It sounds like the developers are going to give us something to do besides just raid or run quest chains in this one, which will be a refreshing change.

However like a lot of other posters I can't set my hopes to high considering Funcom's previous track record.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I have done the test a few times at different times just to be sure of the results, everytime I came out as a Dragon.  So guess I will likely go with a Dragon at first even though the Templars interest me most, hehe. 

This game looks interesting.

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

This game still looks very interesting.  Time will tell more and more if I am going to invest time in it.  So many tasty things coming up in the next year as is.

END OF LINE_

~V

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

Illuminati is already my path ^^ 

but damn i keep getting more hyped for this game!

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290

I hope I get to enjoy the fight club as much as I get to enjoy Drunken Brawling in AoC. Oh wait I can only ware my drinking cape...no other effect.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

Illuminati here too :)

Gonna judge it if I get in beta, and if I don't get in beta, I'll just buy the game and try it.. I can spare some coins to try this out, it's definitly one of the top mmo's on my list.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

Originally posted by cyphers

I vaguely recalled that the TSW Templar faction wasn't the same as the historical Templars, so I did some searching and found it on the TSW wiki:

Despite the naming and symbolism which heavily references the Knights Templar, Funcom has stressed that this faction is purely fictional and the background of the faction begins during the time of Babylon, long before Christianity even existed. The Templars in-game won't be restricted to any religion or race.

Also, Ragnar Tornquist (game director, Dreamfall) talked about this issue in a Twitter interview where the following was stated:

brinstar: On TSW forums players are associating Templars with Christianity. Will the devs distance the faction from religion?

Ragnar: Templars aren't about Christianity. They're about Faith. Which is different. And also about kicking demon ass

Yeah that's why they are all adorned with crosses and stuff. I don't buy it. Thanks for the info tho ;)

I'm between The Illuminati and The Dragon. I like The Illuminati style/fashion more but i prefer The Dragon philosophy over The Illuminati. OTOH Templars are impossible for me.