Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Online: Just As Focused As Ever

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In the latest edition of the Ultima Online producer's letter, Calvin Crowner spends a bit of time discussing the word "just" and the way it is often used in sentences like "If the devs would just...". After that, Crowner goes on to discuss a wide variety of topics from arenas to a classic shard to whether or not devs are 'playing it safe'.

The classic shard is not about a UO revolution, it’s about a UO evolution. Are we playing it safe taking our time? Somewhat. Yes. Is the classic shard a risk we are willing to take? If the right business model is behind the concept, yes. That’s my job to figure out and evangelize. No petition or surveys will “just” bring a classic shard to UO. There have been too many business and design decisions made on the “good intent” of the player population. The classic shard will not be that kind of decision. It must not only make sense for the population at the time, it also needs to be a concerted effort with the support of the community beyond current subscribers … and any others who are reading this letter beyond fan forums and sites.

Be sure to head to the Ultima Online Herald to read more about:

• Siege attention

• The Live Arc

• The Event Moderator Program

• Other News

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Please oh please give us a classic Pre-UOR (T2A) or UO:R Shard!  Thanks.  That is all.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• scalsscals Member Posts: 6

I would honestly probably resubscribe to UO if they put a classic shard online.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Besides the typos and saying that UO is the longest running MMO, which is a blatant lie, it was an interesting read.

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

It is the longest running MMO.  Meridian 59 has gone through periods where the service was offlline since the release of UO.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

It is the longest running MMO.  Meridian 59 has gone through periods where the service was offlline since the release of UO.

There were more then just meridian 59. They even had a list up on this site at one point which had several that are longer running then UO.

I started with the game The Realm which was prior to UO and is still running to this day, and I know there are some others out there too.

• SethVegetaSethVegeta Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

There were more then just meridian 59. They even had a list up on this site at one point which had several that are longer running then UO.

I started with the game The Realm which was prior to UO and is still running to this day, and I know there are some others out there too.

Agreed, I started with The Realm as well.  In the announcement of UO to the gaming hall of fame, it too incorrectly said that UO was the longest running MMO of all time.  Makes me wonder with inaccuracies like that who is deciding on putting the games into the hall of fame.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Besides Meridian on that list not one of those was a MMO.  Read the thread, the writer got lambasted for doing poor research.

So it is obvious that UO is the longest running MMO.

• kooliekoolie Member Posts: 6

Basically the producer, Cal, tends to dangle a lot of carrots to the players and ex players of UO.

In the letter he states how he wants to release things so they are free of bugs, but the UO team consistently does this. Just recently they did an overhaul of treasure maps and INTENTIONALLY released it buggy, so that the maps would create treasure under things like houses, water and trees (and as such, can't be dug up).

The UO team is systematically full of fail. That picture included in the post of the warrior? That's from the Kingdom Reborn client. It's artwork was so reviled by the majority of players they actually had to go back and put in OLD (circa 1997) art to appease the masses. In fact, the client was released buggy and unfinished. ANOTHER client, called the Enhanced Client, has been in 'beta' for over  A YEAR AND A HALF.

UO has a ton of things wrong with it at the moment. It needs a clear vision to move forward, decent graphics and attention to detail (ie not releasing things broken or buggy). Currently they are doing, imo, none of these things.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Besides Meridian on that list not one of those was a MMO.  Read the thread, the writer got lambasted for doing poor research.

So it is obvious that UO is the longest running MMO.

Um no. The Realm was 100% an MMO and has been running longer then UO.

So it is obvious that UO is NOT the longest running MMO.

• SuttonianSuttonian Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by koolie

Basically the producer, Cal, tends to dangle a lot of carrots to the players and ex players of UO.

In the letter he states how he wants to release things so they are free of bugs, but the UO team consistently does this. Just recently they did an overhaul of treasure maps and INTENTIONALLY released it buggy, so that the maps would create treasure under things like houses, water and trees (and as such, can't be dug up).

The UO team is systematically full of fail. That picture included in the post of the warrior? That's from the Kingdom Reborn client. It's artwork was so reviled by the majority of players they actually had to go back and put in OLD (circa 1997) art to appease the masses. In fact, the client was released buggy and unfinished. ANOTHER client, called the Enhanced Client, has been in 'beta' for over  A YEAR AND A HALF.

UO has a ton of things wrong with it at the moment. It needs a clear vision to move forward, decent graphics and attention to detail (ie not releasing things broken or buggy). Currently they are doing, imo, none of these things.

Why would they intentionally create bugs? Perhaps you mean they released it knowing it contained bugs? From your description about the treasure it doesn't sound like a bug unless you have to get the treasure to progress in the game.

• RoyouRoyou Member UncommonPosts: 82

MMO means massively multiplayer online, or did you forget that, I've never heard of the games your talking about, so how could they be considered MMO's???

imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

"The Virtues guide us when the path is dark, Sacrifice most of all, sometimes Sacrifice is the Greatest Weapon we have!

That is a Cruel Truth" (Austen Andrews. Ultima The Technocrat War. 2002)
  • DittoDitto Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Royou

MMO means massively multiplayer online, or did you forget that, I've never heard of the games your talking about, so how could they be considered MMO's???

0-O

Ignorant AND Egocentric...Kudo's :*)

• berkteamberkteam Member Posts: 8

UO's T2A era was the best in its history

• RoyouRoyou Member UncommonPosts: 82

Originally posted by Ditto

Originally posted by Royou

0-O

Ignorant AND Egocentric...Kudo's :*)

Sounds like one has their own head stuck up their own @ss!

imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

"The Virtues guide us when the path is dark, Sacrifice most of all, sometimes Sacrifice is the Greatest Weapon we have!

That is a Cruel Truth" (Austen Andrews. Ultima The Technocrat War. 2002)