Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA gets SUBSCRIPTION and ITEMSHOP

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by kalinis

It seems to me people are freaking out before even seeing beta. Dont get me wrong having a sub and micro transaction model together would suck massively. Enmasses says that wont be the case. Right now we have to believe them The fact is most people assumed tera woudl have micro transactions due to a deal enmasse made with another company known for micro transaction.

They may have done it for alot of reasons without having an items shop with micro transactions. until beta and all comes out though we wont truly know we jsut have to belive enmasse when they say thats not the case.

reasonable, but will the cash shop even show up in beta?

look how long before the cash shop appeared in Fallen Earth - i was just pleased i didn't purchase the box as i won a key here - just lost some time and a couple months sub fee

not saying it won't be there on first day of release but it may not necessarily be there during beta

ahh - just saw this and that killed the game for me

"There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles."

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I dont think anyone here has a problem with the company charging for server moves or name changes but selling anything in an item shop, yes even "fluff" items, that could have just as easily been patched into the game is what bothers me.  That is just F2P horse shit and should be kept in those games. As said above, as long as its accepted its going to continue and believe what you want but it will get worse with time. The DDO fans have been cheering about nothing in the CS that cant be gotten through gameplay, well, that has changed. Im surprised no one has coined the phrase P2P/F2P hybrid yet because that is what they are.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

No thanks moving along to different game. Guild Wars 2, don't support these companies like Tera milking the customer.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by qombi

No thanks moving along to different game. Guild Wars 2, don't support these companies like Tera milking the customer.

Thread is wrong, they have already cleared things up over at Tera

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by Philby

Another one checked off the list. Im wondering if there will be any new games to play in 2011.

Keeping my hopes up for Rift. If that fails, I'll stick with Allods till something new comes. 

...now I hear ppl yel CASH SHOP

Yup... You pay $30 to get some starting gear (bank, bag & mount) and after that you pay less than $10 for the incense & mount feed in the item shop. Looks like subscription to me ;-)

Look ALL games sell fluff items period. Stop being a silly about something that will not effect game play. So if you want to not play MMOs that sell fluff then you might want to consider not playing MMOs. Even the almighty WOW has a powerful item shop where they sell mounts and crap ingame.  If you think FF14 and SWTOR won't sell items think again. Pretty boy lucas is going to make a buck where he can. FF is know for making money off "vanity" items even on the console games.  So get used to it.

No, they don't.

No, I don't have to. At least not yet. But if you folks keep complying and assuming the position, that day gets closer and closer.

You mistake my words. Any franchise will have items you can purchase that no not effect the actual game. It doesn't mean that you "HAVE" to buy them. They are side items for the fans to rave over. I used to play wow but never bought their cards so that I can get an in-game mount or Murlock suit. It didn't lessen my experience that I didn't have it. Also if a company does decide that they want to sell "vanity" items its only because they believe there is a market for such things. No one said you have to and as long as they are not selling items that effect performance than why does it matter. Tera west has definitely heard our cry for no cash shops. Vanity items and cash shops are 2 different things. So name me one triple MMO that doesn't sell fluff!

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by SgtFrog

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/13/en-masses-response-to-microtransaction-speculation-tera-is-not/

They may not be planning microtransactions on a scale of 'pay-for-content' scale like some games, but the guy even says "There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles."  so they are looking at the potential for item shop microtransactions.

Originally posted by Tyrantas

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Lathander81

Originally posted by Reizla

Another one checked off the list. Im wondering if there will be any new games to play in 2011.

Keeping my hopes up for Rift. If that fails, I'll stick with Allods till something new comes. 

...now I hear ppl yel CASH SHOP

Yup... You pay $30 to get some starting gear (bank, bag & mount) and after that you pay less than $10 for the incense & mount feed in the item shop. Looks like subscription to me ;-)

Look ALL games sell fluff items period. Stop being a silly about something that will not effect game play. So if you want to not play MMOs that sell fluff then you might want to consider not playing MMOs. Even the almighty WOW has a powerful item shop where they sell mounts and crap ingame.  If you think FF14 and SWTOR won't sell items think again. Pretty boy lucas is going to make a buck where he can. FF is know for making money off "vanity" items even on the console games.  So get used to it.

No, they don't.

No, I don't have to. At least not yet. But if you folks keep complying and assuming the position, that day gets closer and closer.

Exactly, if we gonna accept it almost every company going to do that. We gotta go against it and tell that to devs loudly.

The deve have nothing to do with fluff items. That is the marketing department. If your talking about the gender changes, name changes, and guild name changes then that concerns the dev. However, this is a paid service in all MMOs. Why are are you crying about this?

Ummm Guild Wars sells skills, armor, and other items to improve your character. They even charge you for additional slots on your account. Why do people turn a blind eye to these things and choose to see other things? Free to play games make more off their players then a sub-base game ever will.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Shoju

http://www.massively.com/2010/08/13/en-masses-response-to-microtransaction-speculation-tera-is-not/

They may not be planning microtransactions on a scale of 'pay-for-content' scale like some games, but the guy even says "There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles."  so they are looking at the potential for item shop microtransactions.

Why not? There have been already many MMOs with a sub + a vanity item shop. Not a bad thing. I've never paid for an item shop on a p2p game and definitely didn't fell I was losing on something.

Originally posted by Shoju

nothing wrong with vanity items imo, I like them

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by twrule

Originally posted by popinjay
    Well, I certainly won't be buying it for launch as I detest any form of "item shop".

Most start with 'non essential' items and later kick those in after everyone got used to spending real cash on pixels.

I will wait until the hardcore people purchase it and SS what is in these shops but usually, these things aren't a good idea for most players.

Stuff is usually bought off the item shop, "resold" in game and that money makes powerhouse players.

In Aion, people bought "subscriptions" to a magazine (which they had no intent on reading) to get these armor 'True White/True Black' dyes. They then sold them in game for 500k-1 million which was a lot of money at the time, and then they bought gear/items to twink their toons to kill you better.

I have no idea why people don't understand that even "fluff" trinkets and the like are bought for real dollars, then flipped around and resold to get substantial things off the broker using that new gold they just got from the sale.

It's nothing but RMT by any other name.
    So make all the items bind to account.

I'm pretty sure they won't bind items to accounts this way, although I agree this would stop abuse. You are talking common sense, while I am talking BUSINESS sinse and there's a difference.

A lot of companies (Asian ones) that have goldsellers running around in them AND cash items shops will never admit this to you... but they don't actually MIND when people sell gold or do the fake RMT by buying things the company set up like NCSoft did with those dyes.

It does keep the in- game economy moving because some clown buys a AION magazine subscription he will never EVER read only to:

Sell the dyes that come with it for in-game kinah for someone else's twink to dye his gear.

The company knows full well where that level 10 toon just got a couple million gold from but they look at it as "two happy subs".

Binding will never happen in those situations and if you think it would, you need to play a few more MMOs to see why they never would do that.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Well, I certainly won't be buying it for launch as I detest any form of "item shop".

Most start with 'non essential' items and later kick those in after everyone got used to spending real cash on pixels.

I will wait until the hardcore people purchase it and SS what is in these shops but usually, these things aren't a good idea for most players.

Stuff is usually bought off the item shop, "resold" in game and that money makes powerhouse players.

In Aion, people bought "subscriptions" to a magazine (which they had no intent on reading) to get these armor 'True White/True Black' dyes. They then sold them in game for 500k-1 million which was a lot of money at the time, and then they bought gear/items to twink their toons to kill you better.

I have no idea why people don't understand that even "fluff" trinkets and the like are bought for real dollars, then flipped around and resold to get substantial things off the broker using that new gold they just got from the sale.

It's nothing but RMT by any other name.

So make all the items bind to account.

I'm pretty sure they won't bind items to accounts this way, although I agree this would stop abuse. You are talking common sense, while I am talking BUSINESS sinse and there's a difference.

A lot of companies (Asian ones) that have goldsellers running around in them AND cash items shops will never admit this to you... but they don't actually MIND when people sell gold or do the fake RMT by buying things the company set up like NCSoft did with those dyes.

It does keep the in- game economy moving because some clown buys a AION magazine subscription he will never EVER read only to:

Sell the dyes that come with it for in-game kinah for someone else's twink to dye his gear.

The company knows full well where that level 10 toon just got a couple million gold from but they look at it as "two happy subs".

Binding will never happen in those situations and if you think it would, you need to play a few more MMOs to see why they never would do that.

Lol.  Apparently playing MMOs for over a decade isn't enough for me to see your wisdom?

You are inside the minds of corporate executives and game developers how?

You mean they would never do it like Blizzard, for example, is doing it right now by making their cash shop items Bind on Account?

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Not mad, just not as trusting as some. History is on my side of this conversation but believe what you will. When the +5 damage gear appears in the CS "at some point during the life of the game" im sure that by that time it will be acceptable as well.

I hear ya, your skepticism is noted. :)

However, I fail to recall the situation you mentioned has happened to many, if even any, triple-A titles recently. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's just how I've experienced it. Afterall, you can't compare any triple-A title to random, smaller titles, which may very well go the route you mention.

Also, like many have already stated. He was not saying that they are planning for it, nor did he say otherwise either. So, all we can gather from that statement is that they are open to consider it, sometime in the future. That's all it means.

And, from what we can gather from other titles, it's not bound to happen even a few months after release, if it happens at all. So scrapping the game for something they might do 1-2 years after launch is very silly if you ask me.

Lol.  Apparently playing MMOs for over a decade isn't enough for me to see your wisdom?
    You mean they would never do it like Blizzard, for example, is doing it right now by making their cash shop items Bind on Account?

Are you reading carefully? No, but that is no surprise because you do this quite often stalking me in forums. So I'll say this part again:

A lot of companies (Asian ones) that have goldsellers running around in them AND cash items shops will never admit this to you...

I said a lot of ASIAN companies so don't later go claiming I said ALL Asian companies.

Tera will be run by an ASIAN company. One day when you've played a few of them, you'll understand their cash shop philosophy. It is not the same as Western companies, which BLIZZARD is. Blizzard also doesn't need the economy in their game (WoW) to be helped along like newer Asian games usually do because they've been established for YEARS. Most Asian games don't usually run years with any noticible Western market size and add shos later. This one is just smart and getting their money upfront from Western players via cashshop instead of springing it out on people later it seems.

They MAY have everything bindable, but I seriously doubt that. It's still an Asian cashshop when all is said and done and this game was not specifically designed to be played by Western players as a primary audience I do not believe.

A lot of Asian players like RMT and boostable items as well as trading in game, doesn't bother them one little bit.

In those countries, average players don't have as much REAL LIFE money, but they have plenty of time to grind out gold or rare items in a MMO. So they trade those things for items that cost REAL money in the cash shops they can't afford otherwise, where most Western players have more REAL LIFE money to spend but not as much time to grind things. You really didn't know this?

A LOT of Asian companies are perfectly fine with the idea of selling items in their cash shops that later they KNOW will be RE-sold by players in game for gold/items because it's money that the company gets directly and not goldsellers.

Maybe Hangame/NHN Corporation will run TERA differently? We will see. :P

As much as you claim to know about things in MMOs, I'm not sure if you've been trolling me, faking it, or genuninely ignorant of this happening all this time.

• AsgeirAsgeir Member UncommonPosts: 17

They MAY have everything bindable, but I seriously doubt that. It's still an Asian cashshop when all is said and done and this game was not specifically designed to be played by Western players as a primary audience I do not believe.

TERA will go on P2P in all its versions (EU, NA and Asia).

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I refuse to play any game that offers a subscription and cash shop just by principal.  I hope many others follow my example.  Devs don't care about players or their game anymore.  They care about making investors happy.  We should all report them to the better business bureau.

I've been here a while...

Originally posted by sacredcow4

I refuse to play any game that offers a subscription and cash shop just by principal.  I hope many others follow my example.  Devs don't care about players or their game anymore.  They care about making investors happy.  We should all report them to the better business bureau.

Business is business, i am pretty sure people said the same thing back in 99 when they found out games like ultima will charge a monthly fee.(which was new back then))

Like i said Business is Business, they always look for more ways to make money..Does not matter what industry it is in.

Are you reading carefully? No, but that is no surprise because you do this quite often stalking me in forums. So I'll say this part again:

Lol, I'm stalking you now huh.  We've talked in what, 1, maybe 2  threads?

A lot of companies (Asian ones) that have goldsellers running around in them AND cash items shops will never admit this to you...

I said a lot of ASIAN companies so don't later go claiming I said ALL Asian companies.

Tera will be run by an ASIAN company. One day when you've played a few of them (here you go making assumptions about what I have and haven't played again.  I've played several Asian developed MMOs.) , you'll understand their cash shop philosophy. It is not the same as Western companies, which BLIZZARD is. Blizzard also doesn't need the economy in their game (WoW) to be helped along like newer Asian games usually do because they've been established for YEARS. Most Asian games don't usually run years with any noticible Western market size and add shos later. This one is just smart and getting their money upfront from Western players via cashshop instead of springing it out on people later it seems.

A lot of Asian players like RMT and boostable items as well as trading in game, doesn't bother them one little bit.

In those countries, average players don't have as much REAL LIFE money, but they have plenty of time to grind out gold or rare items in a MMO. So they trade those things for items that cost REAL money in the cash shops they can't afford otherwise, where most Western players have more REAL LIFE money to spend but not as much time to grind things. You really didn't know this?

It doesn't matter if you said all asian companies or not.  Your logic boils down to this: Some asian companies have a loose policy toward RMT (I'm not going to bother with your accusations that they actually want RMT, because you can't prove them, quite simply).  Tera will be run by an asian company (It's published by NCSoft yes, but EnMasse is also made up of devs from western companies, and there's a localized western version of TERA that will not have much to do with the eastern version), therefore TERA will have a loose policy toward RMT.  That's bad logic - no 2 ways about it.

A LOT of Asian companies are perfectly fine with the idea of selling items in their cash shops that later they KNOW will be RE-sold by players in game for gold/items because it's money that the company gets directly and not goldsellers.

Again, you can't prove this without some sort of statement by a dev unless you're a mindreader.

Maybe Hangame/NHN Corporation will run TERA differently? We will see. :P

Hey, we agree on something :p.

As much as you claim to know about things in MMOs, I'm not sure if you've been trolling me, faking it, or genuninely ignorant of this happening all this time.

How is responding to the topic trolling?  My point is that you have no means to prove that TERA will take the route you believe it will.  What has happened in the past with different teams is irrelevant.  I'll leave it at that - I don't think there's anything more to be discussed.

• hekimohekimo Member Posts: 85

ITT: silly thread for silly people

Originally posted by hekimo

ITT: silly thread for silly people

you posted here too so what does that make you ? :p

It doesn't matter if you said all asian companies or not. Your logic boils down to this: Some asian companies have a loose policy toward RMT (I'm not going to bother with your accusations that they actually want RMT, because you can't prove them, quite simply). Tera will be run by an asian company (It's published by NCSoft yes, but EnMasse is also made up of devs from western companies, and there's a localized western version of TERA that will not have much to do with the eastern version), therefore TERA will have a loose policy toward RMT. That's bad logic - no 2 ways about it.

Sure it does.

If I said ALL that meant a blanket statement. If I said MOST that meant the majority, and the MAJORITY of Asian games have cash shops where you can buy things with real dollars things and then turn right around and sell them for IN game currency.

Are you disputing this fact? If so, go look at the game list on this site and see if you can get through 10 asian mmos that don't. Good luck, pal.

Now in response to your "localized" comment.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You do realize that NCsoft "localized" AION for Western markets as well, and see how good that's going right? Every game NCsoft has a hand in has something sold in some way on the side to make money while they can, a fact that most every reader here knows but you don't seem to. Hmm....

There are just certain things that Westerners don't like (CASH SHOP) and Asians DO like (CASH SHOP). The player's mindsets for MOST of them fit that profile. Now YOU seem to like them and there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure there are a few Asian fellas that don't like fluff pets in their games someplace in Singapore too. But cash shops with items you can resell are a pure way of RMT that a ASIAN company would prefer as do most of their primary audience.

Actually, most asian companies would leave the botters and goldsellers right in the game and prefer not to move them out, that's just extra work. They are actually paying subs to them and in many ASIAN games they do just that with minimal removal. Asian companies don't like having to redo their games for Western players because they view us as babies and whiners who feel because we are paying $15/mo we own their ass or something. If an asian company can figure out a way to get the actual money that goldsellers are getting from Westerners in order to .. wait.. "what if we sold in-game items for real money through a cashshop to Westerners and then people traded them for gold from people already playing?"

It's nothing to do with developers which you seem to not realize. They just DESIGN things, okay? If the head office says "Put in cash shop items that we can sell that players can trade" the devs do JUST THAT and don't utter a peep. And that boils down to profit which a company doesn't care what you think about it.

It's just how business works, friend.

It doesn't matter if you said all asian companies or not. Your logic boils down to this: Some asian companies have a loose policy toward RMT (I'm not going to bother with your accusations that they actually want RMT, because you can't prove them, quite simply). Tera will be run by an asian company (It's published by NCSoft yes, but EnMasse is also made up of devs from western companies, and there's a localized western version of TERA that will not have much to do with the eastern version), therefore TERA will have a loose policy toward RMT. That's bad logic - no 2 ways about it.

Sure it does.

If I said ALL that meant a blanket statement. If I said MOST that meant the majority, and the MAJORITY of Asian games have cash shops where you can buy things with real dollars things and then turn right around and sell them for IN game currency.

Are you disputing this fact? If so, go look at the game list on this site and see if you can get through 10 asian mmos that don't. Good luck, pal.

Now in response to your "localized" comment.. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You do realize that NCsoft "localized" AION for Western markets as well, and see how good that's going right? Every game NCsoft has a hand in has something sold in some way on the side to make money while they can, a fact that most every reader here knows but you don't seem to. Hmm....

There are just certain things that Westerners don't like (CASH SHOP) and Asians DO like (CASH SHOP). The player's mindsets for MOST of them fit that profile. Now YOU seem to like them and there's nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure there are a few Asian fellas that don't like fluff pets in their games someplace in Singapore too. But cash shops with items you can resell are a pure way of RMT that a ASIAN company would prefer as do most of their primary audience.

Actually, most asian companies would leave the botters and goldsellers right in the game and prefer not to move them out, that's just extra work. They are actually paying subs to them and in many ASIAN games they do just that with minimal removal. Asian companies don't like having to redo their games for Western players because they view us as babies and whiners who feel because we are paying $15/mo we own their ass or something. If an asian company can figure out a way to get the actual money that goldsellers are getting from Westerners in order to .. wait.. "what if we sold in-game items for real money through a cashshop to Westerners and then people traded them for gold from people already playing?"

It's nothing to do with developers which you seem to not realize. They just DESIGN things, okay? If the head office says "Put in cash shop items that we can sell that players can trade" the devs do JUST THAT and don't utter a peep. And that boils down to profit which a company doesn't care what you think about it.

It's just how business works, friend.

You said "I'm not going to say all asian companies will do this" and then turned around and said "TERA is run by an asian company, so they'll do this".  That's broken logic.

This entire above post is circular reasoning.  "It is this way because I say it is."  Show me some kind of proof that the TERA team is going to do what you think they will.  You can't, because their is none.  Claiming you speak for everyone but me is fallacious as well, and doesn't help your argument.

I guarantee that EnMasse would have something to say about it if NcSoft tried to put in a cash shop against their will.  EnMasse is made of former employees from NcSoft, as well as western game companies like Bioware, Bungie, Blizzard, and Microsoft.  They probably have a better idea of what western audiences want than you like to make out.  I'm guessing those NcSoft employees didn't leave NcSoft just to do whatever they say without question again either.  The developers are the ones that would have to generate the cash shop items anyway - you think they aren't going to reach an agreement with the publisher first?

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Anyone remember the Aion cheerleaders and nay sayers on this site before it released?

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Anyone remember the Aion cheerleaders and nay sayers on this site before it released?

Yup, but then again aren't most games hyped before release? Like AoC, APB, WoW, whatever. Both succesful and unsuccesful games are hyped before release. TERA is hyped before release and it will stay hyped.

This entire above post is circular reasoning.  "It is this way because I say it is."  Show me some kind of proof that the TERA team is going to do what you think they will.  You can't, because their is none.  Claiming you speak for everyone but me is fallacious as well, and doesn't help your argument.

I guarantee that EnMasse would have something to say about it if NcSoft tried to put in a cash shop against their will.  EnMasse is made of former employees from NcSoft, as well as western game companies like Bioware, Bungie, Blizzard, and Microsoft. ]

See if you can point out the irony in your post considering you were saying I am speaking for a company in several posts but can't predict what they are going to do and now you saying what they will do but... never mind.

I gave you too many hints already. You are a funny person and you make me laugh.