Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will maps work in CoS?

Just curious, I assume there is a built in map planned, but how do you plan to handle maps in the game with a world so large?  I've seen 'fog of war' type maps, maps you can make on as a player, hand drawn looking maps, realistic maps, overhead computer drawn maps that see through to the game beneath, and more.  What is the plan for CoS maps?

And... not to just bug the devs, but what would you other playres like to see in a map system?  What are good map systems you have seen in other games and what makes you like those maps?  For me, I like the idea of being able to make my own marks on the map rather than just what the game has shown.  Oh, and I don't like maps that show you everything before you get there, I like to explore the world!

Comments

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

I would like to see some similarities to real life.

Maybe a scaled map that shows major points like cities and geographical landmarks, but nothing to detailed.

Maybe add a tracker where you can mark points that are discovered.

That way you can maintain a sense of direction, yet still explore.

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

With the size of the reflected worlds, I really hope they have a fog of  War and maybe only the Largest of cities which by buying a map you can reveal an area.

The overall scale of the Worlds lends itself to some great Mapping options ...

So if you visit it then you see it ....

• Juztinb42Juztinb42 Member Posts: 38

If what the devs are saying is true about the size of the game, the map will most likely be very laggy if it is detailed :P

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Juztinb42

If what the devs are saying is true about the size of the game, the map will most likely be very laggy if it is detailed :P

not if it is coded correctly the map component can be permanently loaded in memory.

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

I'm less concerned about how they will code the map than about how it plays.  I'm sure they will work out the technical side of the display method without problem.  What do you other game players prefer?   A map that is a realistic view of the terrain from above, a hand drawn look to the map or just an outline (laid over the top of the regular view)?

Personally, I like an artistic representation with markers for the key elements you find in the world.  I think you should have to find them before they are shown, though it might be cool if you could compare maps with other people and fill in parts that they have, kind of like you copied from their map to yours.  This might promote another kind of player interaction.  What do you think?

• SandbaggerSandbagger Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

I'm less concerned about how they will code the map than about how it plays.  I'm sure they will work out the technical side of the display method without problem.  What do you other game players prefer?   A map that is a realistic view of the terrain from above, a hand drawn look to the map or just an outline (laid over the top of the regular view)?

Personally, I like an artistic representation with markers for the key elements you find in the world.  I think you should have to find them before they are shown, though it might be cool if you could compare maps with other people and fill in parts that they have, kind of like you copied from their map to yours.  This might promote another kind of player interaction.  What do you think?

I would have to choose a more hand drawn map, but if not, then a realistic map.  I don't like the computer looking 'lines' overlay idea.

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Sandbagger

I would have to choose a more hand drawn map, but if not, then a realistic map.  I don't like the computer looking 'lines' overlay idea.

What about fog of war?  (you know, where the map is completely covered and you unveil it as you explore).  Or, would you rather have a basic terrain map and just add details (like castles or ruins you find).   I think I'd prefer that, where you can see major mountain ranges and forests, but not the places to explore.

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

Since the world is so big maybe a "google maps" type map for the full map display. Fog of war is a good idea as long as it reveals quest destinations as well, even if you haven't visited them yet. (like single player RTS missions, example: good old Age of Empire).

I like sketched, it gives you less eye strain, but then again  I can't imagine anyone sketching the area of earth..

Creating your own waypoints or location flags would be a very handy feature.