Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: F2P Survivor Guy Episode 2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's F2P Survivor Guy column, MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle ventures forth to the game list to randomly select a free-to-play game. This time, Adam checks out four games: iPhone's Pocket Legends, RuneScape, Anarchy Online and Myth War 2. See what he discovered in his journeys through the F2P universe.

Where once upon a time, I viewed the MMORPG genre with excited eyes, now I only see them as the hollow cash mongering tyrants. For the last week, I have fumbled through various reputed “free” games with a dash of hope in my heart; now I am only beginning to doubt my own definition of the word. Does it mean “without cost unless you want a new haircut” or perhaps “no charge unless you wish to progress further than the ten minute mark” I just do not know anymore. They say there is no such thing as a free lunch; they were right.

Read Adam Tingle's F2P Survivor Guy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Somewhat interesting read. Bit bothered that the games are chosen randomly like this, but overall, it's alright.

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

Come check out Vanguard, its not F2P but curious your thoughts on it.

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by Eveeldour

Come check out Vanguard, its not F2P but curious your thoughts on it.

I thought Vanguard was shut down.  Was it just no longer being developed upon?

• EveeldourEveeldour Member UncommonPosts: 143

Nah its alive and doing pretty good after the merge. SOE just need to pull their heads out of their @sses and give the game some TLC.

• dlunasdlunas Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by Eveeldour

Nah its alive and doing pretty good after the merge. SOE just need to pull their heads out of their @sses and give the game some TLC.

I think that's a theme with them, though.

• collectadotcollectadot Member Posts: 1

"Also, it craves money from you like a ravenous hobo."

I laughed so hard at this line in the Myth Way 2 section, not cause i played the game or anything its just a hysterical choice of words.

• GidSlackGidSlack Member Posts: 173

• LordAdderLordAdder Member Posts: 123

Good reviews here (and obviously proofread image).  I've been curious about Runescape for quite some time.  After reading this, I may have to give it a shot.  Thanks!

~ Adder ~
    Quick, Silent, Deadly

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by collectadot

"Also, it craves money from you like a ravenous hobo."

I laughed so hard at this line in the Myth Way 2 section, not cause i played the game or anything its just a hysterical choice of words.

Same as OP, never played this but loved the quote, hehehe.

I am happy to see you say such things for Anarchy Online, it is still my first love of MMOs.  It is also like you noted one of the truly free to play games, it does not push towards buying anything.  I have dabbled with it off and on the past year, I am really waiting to see what happens with the graphics update if they can get that done!

Extra note, I was in AO on day one, yes during all the horrific launch day fun, hehe.  When I play it I am typically a pay to play customer.  But their free to play side of things is massive since it is all of old Rubi-Ka and a couple hundred levels, meaning hours upon hours upon hours of content.

• tillywillytillywilly Member Posts: 1

good article. play d&d next

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This is an excellent article.

Pocket Legends:

"The visuals of the game are snappy and the sound will have you whistling along as you slaughter enemy after enemy. Unlike most iDevice related games, the controls are easy and intuitive and will rarely see errant thumbs swiping across the screen in the name of creative play."

It's a great game for the iDevices and the levels of support, amazing. You can shell out a little for the extra dungeons that are all on 60,40% discount except the latest Alien Oasis ones. Everytime I come back to the game, thinking, it's not really all that great being an iPhone game, and yet it is. They have recently updated to Pocket Legends Adventures: Quests, New Social townes and customisation (HATS!). It's performance on the iPhone is phenomenal and worth every extra dinero you decide to spend on it. Great for an mmo fix on the go or just plain better and cheaper than a lot of mmo's.

Runescape:

""RuneScape encapsulates gameplay from a different era of the MMORPG genre which simply cast you into a world and told you to go make your own fun... One example of this is the fact that a player starts naked of any gear and must craft or kill themselves an outfit fit for purpose. There are quests like any other game, but the player is not channeled into certain paths and areas. The choice is yours to do what you wish, be it combat, fishing, crafting, woodcutting or mining, and for this RuneScape is a perfect relief from newer games of the genre.""

This sounds great. I will look it up.

Regnum Online, next, is my suggestion (a free daoc variant).

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Good to see a balanced review of F2P, warts and all.