Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: Who's With Me? DAoC 2?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In today's MMORPG.com Staff Blog, Garrett Fuller marvels at the fact that small studios can make snap decisions for the good of the game and to please players. Garrett also wonders why on earth there has never been a sequel to Dark Age of Camelot, still one of the most innovative games out there. What other studio has made a three faction PvP system? *crickets*

So in almost 9 years and all the MMOs that have come out, no one has created a 3 faction PvP system with an open zone environment.....dear god what do we need to do to get this simple game design made?

3 Factions, 4 Factions, 5 Factions.....give us choice. Here is an idea, don't build an endless game world with crazy huge zones that take weeks to explore and force us to grind levels up to 80 because, well, that is the norm now....do you think we like that as players??

Read more of Garrett's thoughts about DAoC 2 in the MMORPG.com Staff Blog.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Hands down

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DaemonicalDaemonical Member Posts: 9

UO player since 2001
    WoW player since 2006

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

They did a DAoC2, it was called Warhammer.

• DaemonicalDaemonical Member Posts: 9

Doh! For a new version, it could be nice, and it was quite fun to run and discover =D But the leveling was quite long meh ! And I never really understood the crafting system.

UO player since 2001
    WoW player since 2006

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Warhammer is NOTHING like DAoC, so calling that junk DAoC2 is a sad mistake. DAoC was (still) best MMO ever. MAKE A PART 2 !!!

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• Ramones274Ramones274 Member Posts: 366

What Elidien said.

There are two kinds of people in this world. People who pick their nose.. and liars.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Hear, hear! DAoC 2 would be an awesome addition to the mmorpg space. For me though they would need to make some decisions to garner my subscription.

First, keep the pve/pvp systems fairly similar. Take out the boring parts of PvE (especially the insanely long grind), and allow those interested to get to the end game a bit faster.

Secondly, reduce the importance of Crowd Control and Gear in PvP. Running around with an 8 man gank squad and having the first group mez determine the outcome of most fights is stupid. Also being able to have a set of gear made that basically made you almost invulnerable to all but the best geared players is equally stupid.

Keep the Frontier fighting and Battleground systems very similar, especially the increased XP gains for leveling in a battleground. The keep and relic system made the game great and should have been expanded upon a bit.

Lastly, keep the 3 realm system. It kept the populations mostly in balance (although Albion always seemed to have had more on my server).

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by SBFord

What other studio has made a three faction PvP system? *crickets*

Well, there was Auto Assault...

Emphasis on "was."   That was the only game I know of that did a three-faction system, each of the three kept separate in their own PvE areas, until clashing in a shared PvP area, (sadly) more similar to DAOC than any other MMO.

Not much point in getting into the details, but of course they did a whole lot of other stuff very wrong.  So wrong, that I doubt the dev's basic understand of gaming fundamentals, to such an extent that I wouldn't trust them to do a checkers simulator, never mind another MMO.  

..but I digress.  Point being, I think its at least worth mentioning that the system has been imitated, at least once.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

I'd be so down for a Dark Age Of Cameltoe 2!

• xoringxoring Member Posts: 65

I would also enjoy seeing a sequel to this great game.

• ZoomzooZoomzoo Member Posts: 82

I would also like to see DAOC 2, but that interest would wane if Mythic, EA, or Jacobs were involved. 

• miked9022miked9022 Member UncommonPosts: 91

im tired of this issue. alot of people want daoc2, but this isnt a new desire

• NivisiruNivisiru Member UncommonPosts: 186

Originally posted by Celestian

They did a DAoC2, it was called Warhammer.

Yeah I guess WC and SC are the same game too huh. Being there both made by Blizzard and both a RTS... Get real.

• melbmelb Member Posts: 2

Kaneth writes:

Hear, hear! DAoC 2 would be an awesome addition to the mmorpg space. For me though they would need to make some decisions to garner my subscription.

First, keep the pve/pvp systems fairly similar. Take out the boring parts of PvE (especially the insanely long grind), and allow those interested to get to the end game a bit faster.

Secondly, reduce the importance of Crowd Control and Gear in PvP. Running around with an 8 man gank squad and having the first group mez determine the outcome of most fights is stupid. Also being able to have a set of gear made that basically made you almost invulnerable to all but the best geared players is equally stupid.

Keep the Frontier fighting and Battleground systems very similar, especially the increased XP gains for leveling in a battleground. The keep and relic system made the game great and should have been expanded upon a bit.

Well, with most of that said you may as well be playing Warhammer or WoW.. Don't you understand that most of those things are what made DAoC what it is? I played the game from Beta up until about a year ago and I still love the game. Of course I tried all the new games that came out but none compare to it when it comes to the how the whole game just seemed to fit together. Importance of Crowd control is a big factor and that is why you had Realm Abilities!! Purge.. IP SoS to offset the CC and tanks with Det.. It was only like that at first where it determinded the outcome but than again it was also a better game back than too..  I think everyone would agree Pre-ToA was the best time in the game.. I know it was for me. yes CC was very powerful I remember owning a FG after ToA with my sorc solo...  The game was also more social in the begining as well.. So thats why it was better, what they need to do is implement ways not to farm.. or powerlevel.. The grinding was long but it also made a feel of worth, like you accomplished something instead of doing limitless questing.. and you'll be 50 in a week... the grinding forced people to be more social imo.. or make questing harder like in AoC I think their group questing is good it makes for a good social network so you can get stuff done and make friend or guildies or find your true love? lol anyhow.. About the CC well.. now it isn't really like that I mean.. I've lead 8vs8's and 8vs16' and even the famous 8vs24 and won but have been in some very good 8vs8's that lasted a good 10minutes because both sides knew how to play well.. I ran Release guild in Igraine for a while and it was fun going against Snarf's group on the latenights or against the alb zergs yes Alb was overpopulated so maybe it's something that needs to be looked at? maybe make a population limit to each realm so that way it comes out more even? at the same time do something like guildwars where there are instances held on diffrent servers so it's 1 big server you join with a limit to each instance so it cuts the lag except that may complicate things in RvR unless it was run off of a supercomputer built by maybe Nasa? or something of the sort.. 3 realms is great of course, the BG thing though.. If you up the Exp for it that means you'd have to up the level cap for each BG because they would level faster and be kicked out sooner unless they turn xp off which was a bad thing to do.. they should have kept the leveling on and rp gain on always because it would force people to keep going with their chars and go to other bg's and than eventually get 50 and go rvr..  The Relics was great it always was it gave the whole realm something to fight for especially in OF because of the bonuses it ment alot more, not as much now as than because of Artifacts and all the Cata and Laby stuff that you get bonuses from... sure it helps a bit more but not as much as having all that.. that Arties are ok.. but they went overboard after that.. the old RA's were also better like you had prereqs for IP and such.. Anyhow YES DAoC 2 would be great if they can keep it the same for the most part just improve graphics and not make it cartoonish warhammer/wow looking.. and keep the PvP and PvE seperate of course it's better that way so people have a choice but make PvE a big part of the PvP because everyone can help eachother better that way instead of seperating the pvpers from the pve'ers because I know as a PvPer I have met some great PvEers that helped me out alot and without them I would have to learn it myself from scratch and get people together and try this and try that until I figure it out when I want to get back out there and PvP more!! get it right the first time.. That is 1 of the main reason why the game was successful!! also the Stealth game was the best ever no doubt about that.. chaincombos.. I have tons of Ideas myself playing so many games but I'm no dev lol anyhow.. DAoC still #1

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 228

I'm going to say Turbine did with Asherons Call 2..

Order

Shadow 

Dominion

Oh and you could also change in between them and based on how well you did you got talents to use against people.. I'm just saying

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• CazarilCazaril Member UncommonPosts: 9

The ONLY MMO I spent 40 days of my life on.  Incredible good times with the Battle Lords on Pellinor in the early days!!!

Miss you guys!

-Sparhawk

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I played DAoC for about 6 years until I felt that I had done everything there was to do.  Without a doubt it was the best MMO out there when it came out.  It took many things that were good and dumped a lot of things that weren't so good about previous MMOs.  I have wondered the same thing as the author about why there haven't been any 3 faction open RVR zones in nearly 10 years since it came out.  Also, I'm not sure why developers can't seem to understand that many of us like to PVP for fun, but we don't want to spend all day being ganked by high level players while we are questing.  That is why the way DAoC was set up was such a winning formula.  You quested when you felt like it, you went and PVP'd when you felt like it, and when you were sick of it, you went back and quested again.  No one came and ganked you 5 times while you were trying to quest and then camped your corpse just to be jerks.

Who remembers Darkness Falls?  Gaining control of the dungeon and then sending out ganking squads to clear out the enemy players on the other side was a ton of fun.  Then, when you lost control of it while you were inside you would see the announcement and be thinking OH CRAP.  The warnings would go out through the chat that the enemy players were gathering at the entrance and the gank squad was on the way.  Suddenly we were all working together to try to take as many of them out as we could before we were killed and exiled to the outside of the dungeon.  We would all be up on the starting platform at the beginning of the dungeon where they couldn't get to us and trying to hold out as long as we could.  Eventually we were all killed and then it was back to the frontier to try to capture some keeps and get DF back.

Man, those were good times.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• CazarilCazaril Member UncommonPosts: 9

Ah....Darkness Falls.  Yes, the memories are flooding back in.  I remember when that was launched and our guild headed out to the frontier to help capture DF.  Once that was done, into DF we go and the HUNT was on!

Maybe I'm old school, but there's something about the Age of Chivalry, King Arthur, Camelot, T.H. White's "The Once and Future King", PALADINS!!!!

Thanks Raventree, so many stories could be written about DAOC and the trials / tribulations of winning back your Relics, RvR in the frontiers, Darkness Falls, PvE like the Tepok mine when it was "cash and carry".

Maybe I'll pen my favorite story in the DAOC forum.

...an epilog if you will.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Fallen Earth is open world and has more than two factions for pvp.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by SBFord

Anarchy Online.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• AramathAramath Member Posts: 161

Originally posted by Elidien

The fundamental flaw with WAR is that Mythic forgot what made DAOC great: a game world where PVE and PVP were mutually exclusive of each other but gave the player an option to take part in either at anytime. WAR made them mutually inclusive and failed as a result.

PVE and PVP were not mutually exclusive.  Upper level content was almost entirely in the pvp areas, but you were not required to pvp if you did not want to.  You could remain safely in pve areas and grind away.  I agree with your concept on WAR though.  Almost every game out there that has had an entirely pvp/pve inclusive system has failed.  Why?  Because of the 3 year olds that find it funny to go into areas where low to mid level characters are hunting, i.e. trying to attain levels where they can be actually do something in pvp, and constantly harassing the lower to mid levels till they give up, therefore stagnating the population.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Have you even played WAR?!  You can't go into the pve areas where people are questing and kill them.  The person has to attack you if you go into their area.  That being said, DAOC2 please.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Terranah and eyeswideopen and LuckyR

Fallen Earth

Anarchy Online

EQ2

The OP's question might have been vague, but of course lots of MMOs have multiple factions and PvP.  The major difference between DAOC and almost all those games is the way factions were kept separate, except for the PvP, and had their faction specific classes, races, equipment, grinding areas, etc, etc.  I think its safe to assume from the context, that's part of what the question referred to.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Id love a daco 2 but it never happen/ work .

Why the babies would kill it.

No keeps (what, its just zergign rushign w/o keeps)

Easy exp.. ok more so then when daoc was first release (it took forever to level). But atm its too fast. and TASK DUNGEONS SHOULD NEVER EXIST.

CC should be as strogn if not more so... CC makes daoc it makes pvp tactical , it makes a group of 16 take a group of 30 it makes dadoc good. Sure is it bother some, to some but is part of the dynamic that made daoc more than a spam your ability until oom game.

I guess melb said want i wanted to, pretty much.

I liked the risk/reward for exping out on the fronteir.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• LuckyRLuckyR Member UncommonPosts: 260

Originally posted by toljar

I'm going to say Turbine did with Asherons Call 2..

Order

Shadow 

Dominion

Oh and you could also change in between them and based on how well you did you got talents to use against people.. I'm just saying

EQ2

Good

Evil

Exile