Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe we should calm down and take it easy on eachother

Why do people behave in such a hostile manner to eachother on these forums. Sometimes it isn't even swearing or anything but just some kind of  'intellectual agression'. What I mean with this, is that many people are very focussed on being 'right' and putting other people in their place. I see more debate then actual discussion on these forums. It becomes even more annoying when someone actually posts an interesting argument that people just bash on spelling or something else that is pointless to make it invalid somehow. It is like people just never want to feel like they are giving in to someone elses arguments or opinion, they will never admit that they are wrong or that others may have a point. They always think they are smarter than others and have better arguments/opinions than others. To be honest you are just as ignorant as very religious people who only accept their opinion or believe as the actual truth. There is not such thing as one pure truth, everything is relative as every coin has two sides. Some people really should stop dealing in absolutes and consider other peoples arguments, because the abillity to to imagine oneself into the views and beliefs of other people is actually a great way to come to new and (maybe) more complete insights....

Also can we PLEASE drop the HATER calling? It is the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. You actually think that people come to these forums to post negative posts about a game they dislike for the sake of hating? Really? I think somebody needs to have some serious issues if you would constantly bash a game without any arguments, just for the sake of bashing it. What would such actions accomplish? Do you really think that people have nothing better to do? I rather think think that most of these so called haters just want to express their opinion on the game and this opinion can be either postive or negative. But you guys make it sound like some rediculous conspiracy. The problem is you just don't want to hear anything negative. And sure there are people who are overly negative without valid arguments, yet most of the time people do come with argumentation for their opinion, but the 'fanboys' call them haters anyway without giving any counter arguments. I see things as "If you don't like it, why do you come to these forums" or  "If you dislike it, do not play it"  (basicly, both just mean fuck off). Really, so instead of discussing games (aka the main function of a forum), you'd rather don't hear anything incoherent with your opinion and to accomplish this the people who hold such opinions should leave the forum, so that you can live in ignorance? I think its you who should leave these FORUMS and go to a FANSITE. Seriously go there, you will fit in perfectly.....

A short example from the TOR forums (not 100% quoted): "From what i've seen in the gameplay videos, the cobat seems rather boring and not very innovative, so I am not very thrilled for ToR".

Now lets take a look at the answers:

a. How can you say that? It is just a video, how can you base your opinion on the game on such limited information?

b. How can you judge a game that isn't out yet.

c. The creators nevers said it would be innovative so people really should stop hating about this.

d. If you do not like it, do not play it/ go away from this forum.

Now a and c are actually arguments that could be valid, if they wern't used to counter the opinion of the OP.  I mean sure a gameplay video from and unfinished game may deceive you, however that doesn't mean that you can not form an opnion on the actual things you have seen. He is saying that he does not like what he SEES in the video. How can you possibly counter that? Its an opinion you just cant counter. Also if the things he didn't like are dealbreakers for this person, then you cant say that he shouldnt base his opinion about the whole game on this single video. Further A and C are just good enough to relativise the OP's statement and are merely considerations, they do not COUNTER the OP or makes his statement less valid. Maybe he does not care what the intentions of the developer are, he just gives his opnion regardless of that.

B and D are just completely rediculous, D for reasons I mentioned earlier and B for the fact that it is completely reversable (you can not like a game that is not out yet).

I am giving this example because the people who give these answers (there are a lot) actually consider the OP a HATER with no valid argument. Yet his argument is very valid and none of the answers are arguments that come even close to devalue the OP's argument, so do not use them in this manner.

Now the second prargraph especially maybe a little overreacted, since everything is relative ofcourse and there also a lot of people on which this rant does not apply in general. For those where this rant does apply to however: Maybe you should take a day off, or maybe you should consider going into an actual face-to-face discussion in real life, because I'm quite sure you wouldn't be this hostile to your mother or friends, and probably even less to complete strangers. Or maybe just accept that not everybody shares your opinion and you are not always right....

Comments

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Tl;dr: To quote the previous century's greatest American philosopher:

'People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything. We’ll, we’ll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to beat it. Let’s try to work it out."

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

So, you only want to have opinions on the site where people can post all of the speculation or opinion they want about a game as long as it is not FOR the game?

I do not get it.

Overreaction is overreaction, when using a form of text based response ( via forumns or email ) the interpretation of the information is at the core of the reader.  If the person reading the response is in a foul mood they will interpret posts more negatively than others.

I do not mind debate or discenion.  Even in the forumns environment it is a healthy thing to have more than 1 opinion on how things work or what would be better.  Otherwise we would only have a choice of playing WoW and that is all.

The only issue I have with these forumns is the dang Quote Wars!  OMG, going through those with the different colors and trying to determine who was typing at what point in the reposted information that can be re-posted and quoted ad nauseum is rediculous.  I wish people would slow down on the quoting stuff, take the time to craft a response that does not require re-capturing the whole post of another and that person doing the same unitil you get pages of 3 lines of posting intermixed with 1000 lines of quote.

Blech!!  That is when I lose interest in any topic.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The quote in the original posters thread has made one thing clear. Ridiculous is the most commonly misspelled word on the internet. Why do people keep spelling it rEdiculous? It truly is ridiculous.

That and clearly we should start Hands Across the Internet so we can show peace and harmony.

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

The quote in the original posters thread has made one thing clear. Ridiculous is the most commonly misspelled word on the internet. Why do people keep spelling it rEdiculous? It truly is ridiculous.

That and clearly we should start Hands Across the Internet so we can show peace and harmony.

LOL in RED

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I support the OP. There is indeed much pointless hostility here sometimes. You don't need to make fun of "harmony and peace"; all we need is some old fashioned politeness to treat the other with respect. It's not that difficult.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

OP, I'm going to refer you to quote in Preponerance's sig.   Also if you are an angry person on the internets I order you to stare at his avatar until you calm down. Or pass out.  Whatever comes first.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

/shrug

It happens. There's always going to be some jerk in a thread on his high horse... Or two...

But at the end of the day, you just gotta be polite yourself, put it behind you, and log off.

It's the internet after all.

• rwmillerrwmiller Member Posts: 472

Part of the problem I suspect is that it is easier to vocalize your personal dislikes and feelings than to sit down write out a logical discussion about salient points.

Simple easy response: You noob looser you obviously don't understand anything.

Too much effort for most response: Yes the video doesn't really show the game off to its best. For example where you saw the player stutter jump around that is probably due to the recording process not being setup correctly as the combat in the game is much smoother. The poor quality of the video also masks the quality of the artwork and details that are put into the game.

Simple conclusion: People are mostly noob loosers too lazy to write a decent response.

Better conclusion: Sorry, I've run out of time and have to run.

8-)

• PreponerancePreponerance Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Elikal

I support the OP. There is indeed much pointless hostility here sometimes. You don't need to make fun of "harmony and peace"; all we need is some old fashioned politeness to treat the other with respect. It's not that difficult.

See herein lies the problem, I laughed at a statement.  The problem is people like you who get upset at something you don't agree with or is in your "beliefs".  A lot of hostility comes from just that alone. 

The internet should be viewed with an open mind.

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Some people enjoy forum PvP the rest are just...

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Originally posted by Preponerance

Originally posted by Elikal

See herein lies the problem, I laughed at a statement.  The problem is people like you who get upset at something you don't agree with or is in your "beliefs".  A lot of hostility comes from just that alone. 

The internet should be viewed with an open mind.

It is good to know there are still people with a sense of humor out there, seem to be less and less as the years go on.

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

this rant reminded me about the "peacekeeper" role of online forums.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Sadly, it's not just the forums. It is the world in general. People in general, at least the ones we are referring to here, want to feel SMARTer than other people so they use intellectual aggression to do so. It's a way of flexing your muscles, but in this case, the brain muscle and online identity.

It probably comes down to a huge feeling of insecurity in the real world. The whole "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality is what it boils down to, and usually is the cause of every battle in history be it physical or verbal. Just look at all the marriages that fall apart based on this.

Guess it comes back to False Pride really. Something I've even caught myself doing at times. We just need to realize we're not better than anyone really and if we could all come to a consensus on that we could probably accomplish great and incredible things.

Won't happen though. For many reasons I won't discuss here. Food for thought.

• Miner-2049erMiner-2049er Member Posts: 435

Nice try OP, but I suspect that your target audience is paying the least attention.

There are plenty of decent posts and posters here, it's not all doom and gloom.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by twstdstrange

/shrug

It happens. There's always going to be some jerk in a thread on his high horse... Or two...

But at the end of the day, you just gotta be polite yourself, put it behind you, and log off.

It's the internet after all.

This!

It's really no more complicated than anonymity + a stage = class clown. People want attention.That's it.

• RamadarRamadar Member Posts: 167

Welcome to the human condition, you can't have good vs evil without evil, you cant have positive without negative, and you can't have good manners without bad manners it's just the way we like our world . people don't like singing and dancing around a bed of flowers and thinking all is well in the world cuz it's not, we come here to voice our anger for spending $60 on a game that promised to be different then the rest that turned out to be a clone of some other game cuz the devs were lazy and can't come up with an original idea. and this is why for so many people post flames, hate, and things that I won't let my kids read, but in my opinion I think for some the reason's are players are just plan bored with the current mmo model's of game play, story telling and what ever else you can think of and it's hard to let developers know this without them sticking their nose's up at you and telling your "Your stupid" or telling you "Your incapable of knowing what you want" cuz they don't have a clue what many are looking for or even care, their just out for money and only money and once in awhile they'll throw a little bit candy your way so you won't complain and thats why we fight an argue with one another cuz we can't get what we want with the money that we throw at them.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb....

• Robert_S4Robert_S4 Member Posts: 142

To the OP:

It will likely never stop as people are people, if you know what I mean...

The new generation grows up and it continues, this is one of the things that are likely never to change.

Am I saying I don't want it to change? Of course not! I share the same opinion as the OP does.

I've just tried one times too many, personally.

The people and the friends that we have lost, and the dreams that have faded, never forget them~

• ChirugaiChirugai Member UncommonPosts: 304

I am not sure why this was locked without an explanation post, so I'll oblige.

The OP content can be considered baiting and trolling.  Locked due to this reason.

Fortune favours the bold.

This discussion has been closed.