Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEGO Universe: The Backstory Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com writer, Carolyn Koh, has taken a first hand look at the LEGO Universe world and has an excellent report on the backstory, LEGO Universe factions and the unique appearance of items and equipment in the game. Check out Carolyn's report.

LEGO Universe is an MMO targeted towards kids of all ages although the slant is towards kids 6 to 14. As such, you aren’t expected to make a choice of class at the beginning of the game. Kids enter LEGO Universe and learn to play the game combating the Maelstrom, taming pets, running quests, collecting bricks and equipment, learning behaviors, and building and customizing their properties. About mid-game, they begin a sequence of missions which leads them to a choice between the different factions, which is more of a difference in play style than classes per se, as all the classes continue to combat the Maelstrom.

Read the entire LEGO Universe report.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Let's be honest, no one is signing up for lego universe for the backstory. They are signing up because it's lego characters so it's fun, and on top of that you get legos to build your house area with. Those two things makes the whole game. But I guess they do need some story to go on :).

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Let's be honest, no one is signing up for lego universe for the backstory. They are signing up because it's lego characters so it's fun, and on top of that you get legos to build your house area with. Those two things makes the whole game. But I guess they do need some story to go on :).

So the story actually does matter in game. The game is a blast though and will certainly appeal to a target audience outside the suggested demographic.  Who does not want to play with legos.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I don't understand how they're supposedly aiming a subscription based game at 6 to 14 year olds.

• Tara_WindwalkerTara_Windwalker Member UncommonPosts: 75

The storyline is important because you will need to know some details to accomplish the Missions given on the Lego Universe site.

Lego Universe may be advertised as a game for 6-14 year olds but, in actuality, it is a game for all ages.  Try it.

• EqvaliserEqvaliser Member Posts: 74

More additicing that exspected, annoyed by the beta breaks with downtime.. 

Definitly gonna buy,, but not sure if im gonna subscipe more than a month or two..  :D

------
    Playing MMO's since my first which was Ultima online, then Anarchy online. and so on.. ;)
    Now a days im very critical before i ewen bother downloading a Free to play mmo.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I've seen some of the action from E3 and it seems like these guys are getting the whole "sandbox" thing right.  To those that say it looks too childish to play, chances are you've enjoyed LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Indiana Jones or LEGO Batman in the last few years.

This game is tight!  Already have my pre-order bought (complete with Mini-Figure too!).

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

I am not going to say that I have played it, but I will say that this game is incredible and they've done great things so far... and it has a lot more potential.

It is great for all ages...

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I uninstalled it after 2 days months ago, I certainly didn't find it 'amazing'.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Well Kabaal, you probably missed out on a lot of the new stuff.

The game is fun.  It is interesting and simplified.  If you have enjoyed any of the lego games this one is on par graphics wise.  

To compare it to the single player games tho is a bit misleading.  The same as comparing any of the single player games to other MMO's.  It is definately an MMO and has some real fun aspects to it. 

In the end tho, it plays like the sigle player games with more to do.  So, if you did not like or have not played any of the single player games you are not going to like this one at all.  Period.

Keep that in mind when thinking of buying. 

If you are looking for a game to play with your kids.

If you are a big fan of the other Lego games.

If you are a big Lego fan.

You wil LOVE this game. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• jmoreejmoree Member Posts: 30

LOVE IT! My 6 year old son is constantly begging me to play WOW because I play it but it is still a little to mature and complicated for him to grasp. I have been looking for something to get him into and he loves all the legos games :) Can't wait to roll a toon with him and knock out some legos!

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by jmoree

LOVE IT! My 6 year old son is constantly begging me to play WOW because I play it but it is still a little to mature and complicated for him to grasp. I have been looking for something to get him into and he loves all the legos games :) Can't wait to roll a toon with him and knock out some legos!

THIS I believe is their major target audience.

There will be some adults that like it.  if FFXIV turns out to be a bust for me, you will find me in this game.   I like it more than most of the games out there and most that are coming out in the near future.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Kabaal

I uninstalled it after 2 days months ago, I certainly didn't find it 'amazing'.

So you get the opportunity to join a "CLOSED BETA" and uninstall it in 2 days? First, tons of new content gets added all the time during closed beta periods and the point to joining a beta is to help improve the game and identify the things that are not working.

I hope you are not judging the game based on closed beta tests a few months ago. You did  not give it a chance. Ultimately you may still  not find it to your liking but you judged it way to early.

• LEX.ANLEX.AN Member Posts: 5

I have been beta testing since March. I think the game is great, but I agree with NovaKayne, that you will like it more if you are a fan of other Lego products and games. There so much I could say about why I think it is great , but I can't. 

• farginwarfarginwar Member Posts: 134

Meh. I'll wait for Mega Bloks Online.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, riddle 'em with bullets