Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: Sequel Announced with Co-Op Play

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Runic Games has announced that Torchlight 2 is currently in development and a new website for the sequel to the award-winning Torchlight has already launched. Torchlight 2 will feature cooperative play, a feature missing in the original game.

CO-OP ACTION

The most exciting new feature of Torchlight II is the multiplayer element. Play with your friends, and use the free peer-to-peer matchmaking service to meet new players of a similar level and interest. Together players will discover expansive randomized outdoor areas and deep ominous caverns; random instanced and persistent dungeons, a huge variety of all new monsters and villains, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. Players journey through the perilous Overworld, enjoying all new weather features, time of day events, and a rich and cunning story to drive gameplay.

Torchlight 2 is scheduled to be released in Spring 2011. Check out the Torchlight 2 site for more features.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Nice, can't wait to see how it has turned out.

Thanks for posting this SB.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

I almost wet my pants when I saw this! My husband and I still play Diablo 2: LoD and are always on the lookout for a new action-RPG like it. We both loved Torchlight but burned out pretty fast without co-op. This makes me VERY happy! :D

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

COOOOL!

By the way...what that means for torchlight MMO ?

• LudipeLudipe Member UncommonPosts: 109

couldnt they launch a patch? I have torchlight and would like to play online

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Lobotomist
    COOOOL!

By the way...what that means for torchlight MMO ?

no change.

They talked about this previously already.

First its torchlight.
    Then torchlight co-op in some form
    then MMORPG is released.

Three steps. We are at step2

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• GunstraGunstra Member UncommonPosts: 13

I love Torchlight but it has been missing co-op since the beginning. I can't imagine playing it any other way...can't wait for co-op. The only thing that could make me happier would be a release date for Diablo III w00t!!!

Aion - Gladiator/Chanter Class
    War - Warrior Class

• GithernGithern Member Posts: 79

Looks like some of the improvements like overworld were something they are taking from the previous and doomed project, Mythos.

• AmbreAmbre Member UncommonPosts: 104

Coop was definitely the missing point in Torchlight, and being a huge Diablo fan and having purchased Torchlight 1, I'm still a bit disappointed by this news. I was expecting they would patch T1 or improve it to eventually include coop, or that it would give a priority access to their coming MMO as it was mentionned... But now, I see  that purchasing T1 was kind of a waste. You just have to pay again for T2 now, probably more, and it will replace T1.

Check my blog on mmorpg.com.

• alextodoalextodo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Awesome. Finaly me and my wife can play Torchlight together. :D

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

AWESOME!

I liked Torchlight but it sounds like they are adding many of the things that are missing in the original.

- Multiplayer

- Overland areas (with weather and time of day effects)

- Character customization including the selection of gender

- Random events

A definite buy for me. I can't wait.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i so can't wait for this, Torchlight was a great game.

i wonder if this will be priced at full retail price or at a budget price again.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• Sluagh_LordSluagh_Lord Member Posts: 58

At the very modest $20 price tag, Torchlight is one of the best game bargains going, even for a single-player game. Paying more for Torchlight 2 doesn't alter that and should be expected. Torchlight in its current form was the method the guys at Runic used to recover from the sinking of Flagship. There were no illusions, no false promises. You got what you paid for and it was well worth it, even without a co-op mode. 

Some of us are used to paying for our entertainment. It costs money to develop games and things that are touted as being "FREE" usually aren't. If 20 bucks for an enjoyable game with nearly endless replayability is considered a waste, then you've got bigger issues than needing to buy a new game.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Wicked Cool!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by Sluagh_Lord

At the very modest $20 price tag, Torchlight is one of the best game bargains going, even for a single-player game. Paying more for Torchlight 2 doesn't alter that and should be expected. Torchlight in its current form was the method the guys at Runic used to recover from the sinking of Flagship. There were no illusions, no false promises. You got what you paid for and it was well worth it, even without a co-op mode. 

Some of us are used to paying for our entertainment. It costs money to develop games and things that are touted as being "FREE" usually aren't. If 20 bucks for an enjoyable game with nearly endless replayability is considered a waste, then you've got bigger issues than needing to buy a new game.

QFT. Heck at twenty bucks, it's cheaper and lasts longer than going to a 90 minute movie and eating popcorn.

I don't mind paying for TL2 since $20 bucks is nothing these days. I'm happy to pass along good money for a good game. Runic has my loyalty for both the quality of their game and for their pricing structure.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Originally posted by SBFord

Originally posted by Sluagh_Lord

QFT. Heck at twenty bucks, it's cheaper and lasts longer than going to a 90 minute movie and eating popcorn.

I don't mind paying for TL2 since $20 bucks is nothing these days. I'm happy to pass along good money for a good game. Runic has my loyalty for both the quality of their game and for their pricing structure.

Hell, if you're a bargain shopper wait for Steam to have another sale. I got Torchlight for $10 over the holiday season last year. They even had it as cheap at $5 for a weekend, iirc. Torchlight 2 for another $20 would be very reasonable, especially with the co-op, overworld and weather features.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I think one of the best things here is that Runic is not just mkaing TL2 an add-on. It' s full feldged sequel with new content and new features. Since day 1 I have been impressed with Runic and they just keep getting better.

• atlantis1982atlantis1982 Member Posts: 9

I guess I am the only one curious what kind of fourth class they are planning to add. Personally, I like to see a martial artist kind of class. :)

Very glad to see co-op come into the sequel.

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

TL2, cool! Really liked TL.

so...

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Meh, didn't even make it through the first one.

Glad to see their still going strong, and I wish them well; but there just isn't anything really noteworthy about Torchlight to me.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by atlantis1982

I guess I am the only one curious what kind of fourth class they are planning to add. Personally, I like to see a martial artist kind of class. :)

They are not "adding" 4th class.

They are CREATING 4 new CLASSES.

The Alchemist, Vanguisher and Destroyer are NOT playble, but each of them has a role to play in plot (Alchemist has disappeared searching for a horrors that defeated the race that created the ember, Destroyer joins up with you tracking Alchemist, etc)

so far the confirmed classes(names can change) are:

Outlander/Wanderer - "fremen" from Dune style character.

Railgunner/Engineer - pure-steampunk class.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• comebackcalecomebackcale Member Posts: 3

If you still play d2 download the mod MEDIAN XL you wanna talk about fun, D2 sucks compared to this mod sooooooooooo much better then vanilla lod trust me.

• RipclawRipclaw Member UncommonPosts: 190

Awesome. The first Torchlight is pretty sweet. Can't wait to see how part 2 turns out. New classes, co-op, plus more. If anything, it should give us something more in the action RPG department to hold us over until Diablo 3 finally comes out.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by Githern

Looks like some of the improvements like overworld were something they are taking from the previous and doomed project, Mythos.

Doomed?......   Mythos will be in beta within weeks....

http://www.mythos.com/