Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Content Being released , But no discussions here ?

IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

New planet, new content and a whole lot more being released and no discussion here. elsewhere there is great forumn activity. I guess trying to have a positive discussion here is dying which is a real shame....

Comments

• AlexTheTallAlexTheTall Member Posts: 174

Where is that new content you're talking about?

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

Its not content til its launched. For now its just hype.

• TrunksZTrunksZ Member Posts: 263

Me personally, I am trying to stay away from any new info on any upcoming MMO I want to play, that way I can balance between the excitement of the new things they have to offer and the disappointment of the things I don't like. I guess I just like surprises :P

• 3rickZann3rickZann Member Posts: 17

I"m guessing he means Space Combat (which will make us Star Fox fans happy) announced at SDCC and Nar Shaddaa, which was a gimme, announced this week? 

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by dhayes68

Its not content til its launched. For now its just hype.

Content is not hype. Hype is something totally different Bioware have been very careful not to hype the game, just add info to their site of content and features that will be in... It is the Fan Base that creates the hype...

Unless you believe the developers are just making everything up and it is all lies then i guess in your mind you can call it what you like but the reality is is that they are not going to rework all the landscapes and what they are showing are in game location but then I guess they are just making it all up because they have so much spare time on their hands.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

I'm interested only in actual gameplay info. This update was about new planet in a form of text and few screenshots.. not really interesting.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

yep us vet dont believe the hype anymore, let us beta test it so we know what its really about.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

I am done with the marketing/hype game. I am waiting for a free trial :)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

New information is fine, but what I want is a free trial.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Same old, same old...

SWTOR suffers from a real failure of imagination and originality that would capture any real "hype".

Personal story? Yawn... Single player RPGs do it since time immemorial.

Voice overs? What does that have to do with any gameplay experience whatsoever? Should we play the game because we're impressed by the amount of money paid to overpriced actorsies? Ooooh! Colour me impressed lol.

Space combat? Wow. As an poster up above already jabbed, Star Fox fans are going to have theri teary-eyed nostalgia trip.

In short, what's the fuss?

No one cares really. SW franchise fans are gunna buy it, get disappointed and cancel their subs. WoW zombies are going to do pretty much the same (tho out of somewhat different motivation) , which will make the initial investment return worthwhile for EA.

It ain't a bad thing. The "customers" are goint to get their average number of hours of "entertainment" out of the "product" so there is no reason to cry foul. It's the console games thing, you know, you get "hours of entertainment" for the box and Bioware's been well known for providing real quality in these 20-odd hours you get for your 50 bucks.

We all know how it's going to play out so there's no real thrill in discussing it, innit?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

We all know how it's going to play out so there's no real thrill in discussing it, innit?

Let's wait till when it plays out before we start claiming we knew all along eh?

This is not a game.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Let's wait till when it plays out before we start claiming we knew all along eh?

Well if Roland Emmerich announces a new space disaster movie with all the stars and 200 mil budget, I don't need to be a genius to realize it ain't going to be a 2001 for the new millenium. My safer bet (like 99.99%) would be to predict it's going to be a "Earth vs Flying Saucers" remake with political corectness and CGI updates.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

People on the mmorpg.com forums are incredibly negative, so rather than discuss the new content that Bioware has announced, they just remain quiet... until they have something else to complain about.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

The discussions have to die down at some point,  TOR has been releasing steady information for about a year or so now,  and its been STEADY, so unlike other games that go high in hype and then die down, this games hype will be on a steady decline and raise nominally with each new announcement.

I'm still very excited about the game, but I can't continue to talk about it week after week.  After BioWare shows their hand and my chance to play the game is right around the corner I'll start getting hyped on it again.

For casual information seekers that flock to other sites, of course their hype will be high, but for veterans who have been following this game closely, its just tough for me to get it up over short glimpses of new features after such a long time.

Can't wait to play this game though,  so much content I know I'll be subbed for many months.  I really don't understand how its possible that they are STILL adding new planets.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Isane

New planet, new content and a whole lot more being released and no discussion here. elsewhere there is great forumn activity. I guess trying to have a positive discussion here is dying which is a real shame....

It's simple. Lots of forumvisitors here on mmorpg.com are just bored trolls and critics, with no interest at all in most of the current or upcoming MMO's. They have maybe a few MMO's, current or from the distant past, that they really like, so that leaves a lot of MMO's to a lot of people to trash, hate on or rant about.

If you want to talk about features of a MMO in at least a modicum of enthusiasm or constructive discussion, mmorpg.com forums is not the best place for that. Too many embittered and disillusioned people here who've grown bored with the whole genre with much of the same attitude as blase elitist art critics towards mainstream art and entertainment in general image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• dar_es_balatdar_es_balat Member Posts: 438

Originally posted by cyphers

It's simple. Lots of forumvisitors here on mmorpg.com are just bored trolls and critics, with no interest at all in most of the current or upcoming MMO's. They have maybe a few MMO's, current or from the distant past, that they really like, so that leaves a lot of MMO's to a lot of people to trash, hate on or rant about.

So a person who likes a particular game or particular style of games is a troll?  Funny, I always figured that person was someone who knew what they liked and hoped the ideas set forth there were expounded upon in other games.  While they tried to target discussions towards particular development areas, the rest of the crowd got led around by their testicles by whatever marketing team flashed something shiny in their faces.

Just putting things in perspective.

Crappy, petty people breed and raise crappy, petty kids.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

The reason for so little discussion is that Bioware is being so tightlipped about everything that there is literally nothing to base any discussion on without hyping yourself up for something that probably won't be there.

Revealing planets doesn't really tell anyone anything about the game and whether they will like it so bears no value for discussion outside of lore fans (and I have nothing against such people but I doubt there are many on these boards). The space combat reveal was just that; they said it will be present in the game and nothing more. People might speculate on the form it will take but we know nothing at all about it beyond that it exists and so any discussion would kind of be pointless until further information is released.

If you look at the dicussions that are currently going on they mostly revolve around subjects pertaining directly to gameplay that have more than a sliver of info released on them.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by dar_es_balat

Originally posted by cyphers

So a person who likes a particular game or particular style of games is a troll?  Funny, I always figured that person was someone who knew what they liked and hoped the ideas set forth there were expounded upon in other games.  While they tried to target discussions towards particular development areas, the rest of the crowd got led around by their testicles by whatever marketing team flashed something shiny in their faces.

Just putting things in perspective.

The perspective doesn't work when you take into consideration that many forum posters aren't posting to make up their own mind on a game, they are doing so to disillusion others from playing the game.  Its this kind of spiteful attitude that we see here on MMORPG.com more so then on other sites.   If you don't like a game because its not your style,  don't like the game.

If you want to dissuade others from playing it because you don't want it to succeed for whatever reason, then yes you are a troll.  Point out what you don't like,  but it would behoove this whole community if some would just take a live and let live attitude when it comes to game taste.