Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you rage quit an mmo? What sent you over the edge?

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I remember when they nerfed the Priest spell, Prayer of Mending right after BC was released. I haven't PvP'd in that game seriously since then. It's very insignificant in context, but at the time it really pissed me off, hehe.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• malpoodlemalpoodle Member Posts: 21

I rage quite WoW after I played a resto druid for 76 levels and they decided to nerf them so badly that I could not keep a tank alive in a 5 person dungeon. Some months after I quit, they reversed those changes.

I started playing again... a hunter which I enjoy. Now with the release of cataclysm they're going to nerf the hunter to use focus instead of mana which, without going into detail, is going to cut their dps output probably in half or worse.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096

I /ragequit 2 games back to back.

First I /ragequit CoX when they tagged on Enhancement Diversification to CoVs release.

Totally crippling 3 of my chars.

Then not a month later SoE decided SWG needed New Game Enhancements.

ARRRG! /doubleragequit!

I stopped playing MMO's for over a year because of that.

Anytime I hear a Dev say they are going to "Enhance" their game I get flashbacks.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• DrSpankyDrSpanky Member Posts: 341

No. There is not a game on this planet now or ever that would make me feel that upset.

It's a proven historical fact that beer saved humankind.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I have never rage quit yet.  Mostly just get bored and leave, sometimes it's very early on and sometimes it's a year or two down the road.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• rejektrejekt Member Posts: 39

It's kind of a rage quit.

I was told I would not be part of the raid team, but could remain in the guild as a casual member for a top 100 US raid guild in WoW. The reasons listed were some of the dumbest reasons ever. I didn't play WoW to do nothing, I played to raid and have social activity. So I just logged off and quit the game for a year and a half. This was during Naxx, right before Ulduar came out.

Reasons:

- Didn't gem/enchant all my gear

-- Why would I spend gold on something I'm going to replace in a week? Also, I was healing more and over-healing for less than any other of their healers. So why did it matter that I wasn't fully gemmed/enchanted?

- Died at the same trash spot every week.

-- Which wasn't true, but I did die a lot to heal the stupid melee DPS that would pull off the tanks, causing me to work harder on healing, which got me aggro.

Oh well, some co-workers got me back into the game and I'm casually raiding with them. I keep myself busy doing more real life things anyways, so I wouldn't have the time to be more hardcore about raiding.

<? while (!$i['care']) echo '...'; ?>

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

I ragequit WoW because I got hacked and blizzard customer service is so crappy that after weeks of trying I still didn't even get through to them, much less get all my stuff back.

After I ended up spending a total of 20 hours sitting around naked in-game with an open ticket, I ragequitted.

• LadyAlibiLadyAlibi Member UncommonPosts: 297

I rage quit games on a couple of occasions, mainly due to a combination of frustration with something in the game and people getting on my nerves. If a game is just buggy and annoying, that doesn't really cause me to rage and then quit. I just kind of wander off. Drama plus hitting a wall in a game at pretty much the same time is enough to make me stomp off.

I haven't done that in a few years though. I think that I just care less and less about drama as I get older, and I am more and more patient with difficult situations.

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

I can't say I have ever rage-quit from any game, and I don't mean that to be condescending to those that have. The closest I got was rage-exiting for the night because my temper was boiling up and I knew I was taking the game way too seriously. That's what stops me from fully quitting a game, or keeps me rational enough to quit for other reasons then out of anger. Can't even imagine rage-quitting from an MMO honestly lol

Closest I ever got was with Kid Icarus for Nintendo. I swear that was the most frustrating game I have ever played in my life and there were more then a few times where I was about to grab the nearest blunt instrument and pummel my NES. I think that trained me in a whole new level of anger management while gaming, especially since my parents would have taken my games away if I smashed the NES lol

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

If in game rioting prior to quitting counts as rage quitting then I am guilty as well on a couple of games. Only thing that ever upset me in an mmorpg is when developers break the games.  When they change the game to make it non playable with friends, yes that urks me.  It feels like you bought a car, tricked it out the way you like. Had the car just the way you wanted then like the maker of the car snuck into your garage in the middle of the night and like changed the engine out, painted it a different color  , ruined your interior, and pasted like butterlies, stars and rainbows all over it and now the car completely sucks. I have no idea why developers think they should go break games that people have already paid for, invested their time in, and have current planned activities in without taking their players into consideration.

Sure people say " well it is their game, they can do as they please with it." well if that is the case, why would anyone want to invest any time into any game because they can just go break it whenever?

I take that back. I did kinda/sorta rage quit from Anarchy Online but in a pretty calm way if that makes any sense lol I played it in beta and logged in on release day to just see the complete disaster of a release that it was. My last experience with the beta client ran ten times better then the release version. That was the first game I ever bought that was completely unplayable on release and a total disaster. So I remember not even logging in again and just watching the forums for any big changes. That never happened so I never resubbed and literally tossed the game in the trash, never looking back until years had passed and people said it was completely different. I gave the trial a shot and still didn't like anything about it so that was the end of it.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by ZenNature

I take that back. I did kinda/sorta rage quit from Anarchy Online but in a pretty calm way if that makes any sense lol I played it in beta and logged in on release day to just see the complete disaster of a release that it was. My last experience with the beta client ran ten times better then the release version. That was the first game I ever bought that was completely unplayable on release and a total disaster. So I remember not even logging in again and just watching the forums for any big changes. That never happened so I never resubbed and literally tossed the game in the trash, never looking back until years had passed and people said it was completely different. I gave the trial a shot and still didn't like anything about it so that was the end of it.

LOL! I have quite a collection of " coaster" games. don't throw it away! recycle it as a coaster to remind you how much it sucked.  For some sadistic reason it makes me feel redeemed that I at least got a coaster for my troubles..

Though some of them could only make me feel better when I used them for target practice.image

Originally posted by deviliscious

LOL! I have quite a collection of " coaster" games. don't throw it away! recycle it as a coaster to remind you how much it sucked.  For some sadistic reason it makes me feel redeemed that I at least got a coaster for my troubles..

Though some of them could only make me feel better when I used them for target practice.image

lol yeah, I wasn't introduced to that idea until I met a developer friend that had a stack of 'frisbee-ware' tossed in a corner of his closet. I still got some amusement out of the fact that AO was so bad, I didn't even recognize it's potential as a coaster or frisbee.

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

Yes I have.  Of course, at the time I didn't realize it was considered rage quitting.  Oh the worst part?  I had just purchased the 3 month sub and I was just two week in.  The game?  EvE!  It reminded me of High School; if you didn't already fit in you would be an outcast for a while.  

After two weeks of viewing EvE online tutorials vids, I had finally gotten the hang of things when my house flooded and internet went down.  When I came back on two days later my Mining Rig was destroyed along with everything in my hold that was in transport.  I spent days mining just to get it.  My corp was kind and understanding..but the only advice they gave was simply "don't buy something you can't replace."  Wise words.  The problem is all the heavy playing I did in those first two weeks were so monotonous that I couldn't muster excitement to go back to the grind.  I felt like I was working the whole time.  I got angry and left with 2.5 months left.  

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

World of Warcraft. Everytime I hear anyone near me even mention that pile of crap I walk up to them real calm like, smiling and punch them in the nose.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

This has been really interesting reading for me.  I have been playing MMOs since Everquest and while I have never rage quit a game, Everquest came close.  You would die fighting some creature and then lose all your gear until you picked it back up off your corpse.  Then you wouldn't be able to find your corpse and you would die again because you couldn't fight the creatures that aggroed on you because all your gear was gone.  Each time you died you lost like half a day's worth of xp and you could even lose enough xp to lose a level if you were having a bad day.  That game made me want to throw my monitor through the window and then choke someone from SOE.  It has been like ten years since I played that game and I am still pissed off.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I have to admit that I rage quit Star Wars Galaxies only a few months after release. I was possibly the most widely hated class during that period, Creature Handler, and came in for such a fury of thoughtless, grossly unfair, and destructive nerfs - arriving nonstop week after week - that I just couldn't take it anymore. I basically loved SWG, though, and always planned to return (as a new class) when the devs finally settled down and got the wild hair out of their asses. But unfortunately the time I picked to come back was right around the NGE to Pre-CU period, and after doing a lot of further reading I decided then that the game still wasn't going to be for me. So now I wait for...

I also rage quit playing cards at PokerStars. I actually didn't lose a penny there, but just became exasperated with how - seemingly like clockwork - my luck would change after I made a little money or cleared a bonus. Things like getting all in with 90%+ odds of winning, and then losing these kinds of races seven or eight times in a row. Anyway, there's a theory that some online sites use a cheat to distribute wins so that their worst players won't - you guessed it, rage quit! Google the term "Doom Switch" if you'd like to read more. Therefore I play somewhere else now, and miraculously my "luck" has been acceptable for over a year. And I've got a pretty sweet little nest egg built up too.

• rahj83rahj83 Member Posts: 77

I've never stopped playing a game due to rage. I have rage quit a session though...too many times to count. Ever since the beginning of MMO time, I've been known to rage quit in the middle of a playing session. My guild members are used to it, they'll hear me say something on Vent, see me log off and be like," Oh, he'll be back in ten minutes." lol

It's always after something stupid happens, like a group wipe or a cheap PvP loss...or dying a million times in a row due to campers...but I always come back for more after a quick rage quit break.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

Twice.

Same as many others, i quit SWG after the NGE pretty much trivialised everything i had done to that point.

DAoC after the Prydwen crash, came back again some months after that, but it was a real cancel, uninstall, sulk for a bit moment :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

I regequited only 1 game. Age of Conan. Why? Because the game was a lie.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

Everquest 1, travelling most of the time required a group for undergeared - underleveled players. Since I always had a character at 60 (cap at the time) - I was leveling a Paladin alt as it complemented my Shadowknight. Group of players were running and purposefully let me SoW run out mid trip. I couldn't, and I mean absolutely could not get my corpse back - so after losing a couple thousand plat worth of gear after 7 days. I rage quit.

Everquest 2, rolled a healer (Templar) and had the hardest effin time finding a group - I figured a game that holds the holy trinity in high regard, that has no place for a healer for almost 5 days straight doesn't deserve my time.

So yeah, rage quit.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

Originally posted by Raventree

This has been really interesting reading for me.  I have been playing MMOs since Everquest and while I have never rage quit a game, Everquest came close.  You would die fighting some creature and then lose all your gear until you picked it back up off your corpse.  Then you wouldn't be able to find your corpse and you would die again because you couldn't fight the creatures that aggroed on you because all your gear was gone.  Each time you died you lost like half a day's worth of xp and you could even lose enough xp to lose a level if you were having a bad day.  That game made me want to throw my monitor through the window and then choke someone from SOE.  It has been like ten years since I played that game and I am still pissed off.

This actually reminded me of a guy I knew that was about to ragequit EQ AT WORK. Everyone knew he played EQ on his lunch break and was kinda fanatical about it (I'm trying not to judge, but seriously... this is at work). Well, apparently his character died with about 5 mins left on his break, so he asked his supervisor for extra time to go retrieve his corpse. That happened about 5 times over the next half hour or so as he kept dying and kept losing more XP, and it kept getting harder to get to his corpse as more mobs respawned around his corpse. He apparently lost a couple things extremely hard to get, aside from all the xp at a high level. Everyone heard what was going on between the sounds of the game and him getting angrier about it every time. The whole department was really embarassed for him because he was having a mental breakdown at work over EQ. Worst rage fit I have ever seen. It was perfect youtube material, but unfortunately before that had become popular lol That's when I realized there were going to be AA-like meetings over this genre. I still feel bad for that guy years later.

Forgot to say, he never made it to his corpse lol 

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Originally posted by Raventree

This actually reminded me of a guy I knew that was about to ragequit EQ AT WORK. Everyone knew he played EQ on his lunch break and was kinda fanatical about it (I'm trying not to judge, but seriously... this is at work). Well, apparently his character died with about 5 mins left on his break, so he asked his supervisor for extra time to go retrieve his corpse. That happened about 5 times over the next half hour or so as he kept dying and kept losing more XP, and it kept getting harder to get to his corpse as more mobs respawned around his corpse. He apparently lost a couple things extremely hard to get, aside from all the xp at a high level. Everyone heard what was going on between the sounds of the game and him getting angrier about it every time. The whole department was really embarassed for him because he was having a mental breakdown at work over EQ. Worst rage fit I have ever seen. It was perfect youtube material, but unfortunately before that had become popular lol That's when I realized there were going to be AA-like meetings over this genre. I still feel bad for that guy years later.

Forgot to say, he never made it to his corpse lol 

It's safe to say that EQ was a pretty "hardcore" game at the time.. I played it and actually lost a corpse while falling off a boat in the ocean of tears (shark attack) my corpse was never found.. This is where the community stepped in though.. My guild and a few others donated money and items to keep me going, soon I had items that were better than what i had before and my pockets were bulging..

I forgot to add a game to my previous post.. The first and only game I considered a complete "Rage" quit was anarchy online... Not because of game mechanics.. not because of graphics.. The community.. OTHER HUMANS (european players to be exact) treated me like shit.. We were all sitting in that one town where everyone hangs out and can PVP (forget its name its been so long, but its a heavily populated town) and everyone was attacking everyone, I mean it was like mad. I was in a guild at the time and the leader and a few members were attacking this other clan guild, I suppose having some fun. I was the lowest level member of the guild and had the least experience coming in because I was fairly new to AO.

The leader asked me if I would do him a favor and use one of my skills as an engineer (I also forget the specifics) on his target, so I did..And he dies.. (lol)  All of a sudden I get a bunch of backlash tells and whispers from this guy that I attacked and his guild which just so happened to be a sister guild of ours about how I shouldn't have ever attacked another clan member and the leader of my guild sided with him and so did my whole guild against me.. I was setup by the leader and later called a bunch of names and since they were one of the biggest guilds on Rimor they basically rubbed my name in the dirt to all the guilds on the clan side..

I had put in too much time and effort to have to re-roll but I could no longer join ANY clan guild as they all had already heard the story (well one side).. It was quite dumb, and later on a friendly member of the guild I used to belong to messaged me saying that I was wanted out of the guild by the leader because I was new and was from the US.. Basically I annoyed him so he destroyed me..

Community: 3/10 = Cancelled Account..

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Originally posted by Pynda

I have to admit that I rage quit Star Wars Galaxies only a few months after release. I was possibly the most widely hated class during that period, Creature Handler, and came in for such a fury of thoughtless, grossly unfair, and destructive nerfs - arriving nonstop week after week - that I just couldn't take it anymore. I basically loved SWG, though, and always planned to return (as a new class) when the devs finally settled down and got the wild hair out of their asses. But unfortunately the time I picked to come back was right around the NGE to Pre-CU period, and after doing a lot of further reading I decided then that the game still wasn't going to be for me. So now I wait for...

I also rage quit playing cards at PokerStars. I actually didn't lose a penny there, but just became exasperated with how - seemingly like clockwork - my luck would change after I made a little money or cleared a bonus. Things like getting all in with 90%+ odds of winning, and then losing these kinds of races seven or eight times in a row. Anyway, there's a theory that some online sites use a cheat to distribute wins so that their worst players won't - you guessed it, rage quit! Google the term "Doom Switch" if you'd like to read more. Therefore I play somewhere else now, and miraculously my "luck" has been acceptable for over a year. And I've got a pretty sweet little nest egg built up too.

LOL I forgot about PokerStars. Yeah, something hinky going on there. I rage quit many times a week from that game...heh. What I have noticed is there always seems to be one sea t( a different seat each game), that seems to win no matter what crap cards they start with. All in with 2/3 off suit? Win on the river. Sometimes it does seem rigged.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Thinking back...yep, a couple of times...

AO around month 6 after launch and the game was still totally broken

SWG when the NGE hit

Beyond Protocol after the games' producer basically called me a cheater in voice chat (for using a tactic I had told him and several other devs about in detail during beta lol!)

LotRO when they stonewalled for six months and then announced the F2P move....

However, just for perspective...I've also played and just quietly drifted in and out until I stopped altogether (or the game closed) in EQ, EQ2, DAoC, WoW, WAR, Tabula Rasa, CoH/CoV, WW2OL, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth,  DDO, EVE, AoC, PotBS and Vanguard.

So, 4/19....and I think the circumstances where I have gone off the deep end were pretty extreme.