Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you rage quit an mmo? What sent you over the edge?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I have.  So many times lol. 

Usually it's either that my progression has hit a wall, I've been nerfed hard, or the number one reason "drum roll" ... guildmates annoyed hell out of me.

So it's confession time.  Have you quit a game (not in a studied, calm, this just isn't working out or something better came along way) but in a demonstrative anger - let them eat cake - sort of way?

Let's hear your story. :)

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I ragequit the Mortal Online beta, but not because of bugs, it was the jackass players.

I would have over a certain theif, that I won't name, but he really got my goad. It's not that he kept coming back for more, it's that he went out of his way to harrass me and the other harvesters verbally. A total jackass.

What sent me over the edge was when I started building a house alongside a pretty cool guy I met, after helping construct his. I wasn't 100 pieces of wood into it before I got shot in the back, killed, and had my house torn down by some random guy claiming all the surrounding area was already staked by his guild. I tried to negotiate with him, but he left already, so I caught one of his guildies and tried to talk him into letting me stay without issue. Instead, I realized they were the group going around Meduli and demanding ransom to prevent harvesters from being harrassed by their thieves. So I told him "you guys can suck it" and decided to build way further out and return through thier area on my fighter to harrass them at any chance I got. While building the next house, I just stopped about another 10o rocks in and said "you know what, f**k this game and it's players". I wasn't about to  waste my time and energy on these jagoffs, nor risk being run off the site a second time. I just uninstalled and decided I'd go back if the game got it's shit together and had the players cool down from all the jackassery.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

After the LOTRO F2P announcment I quit that. I continued to play for a month or so after the announcement but ive been told by folks here that it was a rage quit. So I guess i have :)

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Nope. I just leave. Sometimes I pack up before I leave.

I did have a laugh-quit recently. That was Divine Souls.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Originally posted by GTwander

I ragequit the Mortal Online beta, but not because of bugs, it was the jackass players.

I would have over a certain theif, that I won't name, but he really got my goad. It's not that he kept coming back for more, it's that he went out of his way to harrass me and the other harvesters verbally. A total jackass.

What sent me over the edge was when I started building a house alongside a pretty cool guy I met, after helping construct his. I wasn't 100 pieces of wood into it before I got shot in the back, killed, and had my house torn down by some random guy claiming all the surrounding area was already staked by his guild. I tried to negotiate with him, but he left already, so I caught one of his guildies and tried to talk him into letting me stay without issue. Instead, I realized they were the group going around Meduli and demanding ransom to prevent harvesters from being harrassed by their thieves. So I told him "you guys can suck it" and decided to build way further out and return through thier area on my fighter to harrass them at any chance I got. While building the next house, I just stopped about another 10o rocks in and said "you know what, f**k this game and it's players". I wasn't about to  waste my time and energy on these jagoffs, nor risk being run off the site a second time. I just uninstalled and decided I'd go back if the game got it's shit together and had the players cool down from all the jackassery.

That does sound annoying and fustrating, but at the same time... it kinda sounds quite cool. Did you think of rounding up a big group of players and laying in ambush for the ransom guys, and then forcing them out over time? Reminds me of Ultima days lol.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Haven't ever rage quit before, but have quit many a time followed by a long and drawn out, exasperated sigh. Except for the time I quit SWG after the New Game Excrement crapfest...I was pissed and sad at the same time and imagined all the nasty things I could mail to SOE. Spring loaded angry ferret trap, dysentary bomb, package full of vomit, inhabited wasp nest in a box...the list goes on.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

I have also rage quit a game over other players behavior.  Asshattery and elitism annoy me to no end.

Steam: Neph

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

yes. WOW, after getting a "that has allready been fixed" response to a bug that had been reported for months. i ran into the bug and was told it no longer existed.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• JellypigJellypig Member Posts: 126

I have.. a couple times with World of Warcraft.  First time was during a play session on my 70 rogue and fought against some night elf warrior in a warsong gultch game.  Surprisingly, no one on his or my team interferred so it was just me and him dueling each other. 

I can't remember all the details exactly but it just pissed me off so badly that I was outplaying the hell out of this guy, he's just sitting there keyboard turning while I'm running around like the energizer bunny on crack, and my skills just kept being resisted or missed and then I tried to gouging him repeatedly, and it just kept getting parried when I needed it to land the most, and I get slaughtered by a few strikes.  I fought against him repeatedly and the same situation kept happening.. I think what really put me over the edge was his taunting me over it. 

It pissed me off so badly that I ended up deleting every character on my account and just unsubbed, which dissapointed my friends and guildmates a bit.

2nd time I rage quit.. it was WoW again, this time while playing on my warrior during the wrath of the lich king xpac.  I was in an arena match with my friend (80 pally) and we went up against some crap team in 2v2, mage/priest combo.  Priest kept healing himself back to full despite my mortal strike buff on him and me and the pally timing our interrupts well on him while I was sheild reflecting/intervening to stop the mage from taking advantage of the situation.

Last moment of the fight, and what cost us the game was a spell reflect on my part not reflecting a instacast from the mage.. I timed the shield reflect PERFECTLY.  Hell, this happens often when I try to shield reflect spells cast at me, it just goes right through and destroys me and pisses me off to no end... if its a latency issue or a bug, I dunno.  That particular arena match loss over it was the last straw and just said to hell with the game.

• shadowfox561shadowfox561 Member UncommonPosts: 18

I have rage quit Aion after I spent two whole days trying to complete one quest and I kept getting noob teammates and in those two days all I did was lose EXP instead of gaining it and I needed to finish this quest in order to gain a new quest line.

I also had a bad experience with AoC where they banned my whole guild while I was on vacation, I come back and it says I cannot log into my account. because 3 members of our guild were using a minor glitch int he system in order to power level themselves up and defeat a  difficult boss by making him get stuck and then ranging him to death.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I rage quit SWG about 60 minutes after downloading the NGE patch.  Before the patch I was about a week away from Jedi after a year of playing and logged in to find that 90% of everyone was Jedi.  I might of stayed if they had not completey changed the battle mechanics. 

I was so pissed.  They destroyed my game, I didn't even know about it until a couple of days before the patch.

• twstdstrangetwstdstrange Member Posts: 474

I didn't quit but I certainly did rage.

World of Warcraft. I was on an alt Paladin, Retribution, and running one particular instance through the Find Group option. Normally I am so used to getting lucky on my rolls, mind you, that rolling for loot was never a problem for me.

However I soon ran into a streak of bad luck... And a few group morons along the way, which didn't help.

The entire reason I ran through this one instance was to get a certain 2h Strength/Stamina axe I had wanted. At the beginning of every instance I would let people know that.

But every time we got to the boss that dropped it either:

A: It wouldn't drop.

B: Some moron would wipe the group and everyone would quit.

C: Someone rolled NEED on it that certainly did not need it.

For instance...

A Hunter. Apparently the hunters I run into don't realize they want Agility, not Strenght. And even after politely explaining this two about three hunters that NEEDED the axe I had told them I wanted, they said well it looks cool and I won it.

...Rage...

Another instance it was a PROT Warrior... He was new to the game, rolled need ("Because it looks cool."), and even after the WHOLE group explained to him that I should have it over him he said, Let's finish the instance and then I'll think about giving it to you.

Soooooooo, I'll help YOU finish the instance so you can pretty much say no?

Wow.

Anyway, I gave up on getting that weapon. I ran that instance quite a lot of times, and sadly never got my axe.... Sniff....

Yeah, I know, QQ moar, but you try to spend hours trying to get one bloody item only to have it taken away by some dumbass who rolled 3 points higher than you.

Oh well.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

I was playing eq2 with a friend of mine. He was the dark knight I think it's called. We were waiting for the group to assemble to do an instance.
    All of a sudden my character was flat on the ground and i couldn't move him. He then simulated tea-bagging.
    I figured it out finally, he had cast feign death on me, why EQ2 put that in the game so that someone else could control your toon i'll never know.
    I was so pissed I called him on the phone and cussed him out. He said it was funny. I said no, funny is me returning the mower I borrowed from him in pieces.
    He still ribs me about that.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The MMOs that I have left in anger:

#1 Star Wars Galaxies - SOE, Lucasarts, and the NGE.  SOE & LA were perfectly willing to say F**k You to their existing, then-paying playerbase in pursuit of a mythical crowd that would come rushing in after the NGE.  Didn't happen.  'Nuff said.

#2 Star Trek Online - Cr*p dev team, half-a**ed game, unprecedented greed (releasing half-baked game and throwing content into the C-Store, not to mention being Sub based game AND having an Item Shop), and of course, absolutely ruining the MMORPG chances of one of the world's beloved IPs.

#3 Lord Of The Rings Online - With the F2P announcement, I cancelled my play with this MMO that I've been playing for 3 years.  I had them delete my account, even though I was a Lifetime Sub.  I've played F2P games and I know how their business practices go.

I wanted to add Funcom with Age of Conan also, but I remembered again that I didn't leave due to anger.  I left due to totall incompetence in part of Funcom.  Despite the tremendous hype AoC had leading up to release, those guys had absolutely NO idea what they were doing when AoC was released and totally lost almost their entire Launch Day crowd, which was huge.

Incompetent - inadequate to or unsuitable for a particular purpose.

"Funcom's handling of Age of Conan's release was totally incompetent" image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• shadowfox561shadowfox561 Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by Warmaker

I wanted to add Funcom with Age of Conan also, but I remembered again that I didn't leave due to anger.  I left due to totall incompetence in part of Funcom.  Despite the tremendous hype AoC had leading up to release, those guys had absolutely NO idea what they were doing when AoC was released and totally lost almost their entire Launch Day crowd, which was huge.

Well agreed like with my post I left AoC in  a rage because they banned me... and my whole guild for the actions of 3 people about a month after launch.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

Originally posted by uquipu

I was playing eq2 with a friend of mine. He was the dark knight I think it's called. We were waiting for the group to assemble to do an instance.

All of a sudden my character was flat on the ground and i couldn't move him. He then simulated tea-bagging.

I figured it out finally, he had cast feign death on me, why EQ2 put that in the game so that someone else could control your toon i'll never know.

It's a shadowknight. When tank is not holding agro and the mob is beating on some squishy, a shadowknight has the option to cast feign death on group member, so the mob will think you're dead and attack someone else. And it's actually funny the first time it happens.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never rage quit any mmo. My friend not only rage quits, he also instantly rage deletes the game from the system.

I only rage when killed in pvp, but never quit the game. I usually just right down the opponent's name, thinking of how i will hunt him and kill him in all possible ways, heh... That never happens though :)

Originally posted by shadowfox561

Well agreed like with my post I left AoC in  a rage because they banned me... and my whole guild for the actions of 3 people about a month after launch.

Yeah, I remember the bans that were going on.  The forums were a fun place though.  PvP in AoC forums was better than the game's!

I can't stress enough how bad AoC's failure was.  There were soooo many people there.  You couldn't venture out somewhere without crossing paths with people here and there all the time, and it wasn't just Tortage.  But they lost all those people.  I have never seen such a spectacular failure of an MMORPG within the first 3-4 months after release before or since.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

#3 Lord Of The Rings Online - With the F2P announcement, I cancelled my play with this MMO that I've been playing for 3 years.  I had them delete my account, even though I was a Lifetime Sub.  I've played F2P games and I know how their business practices go.

You actually dismantled your 200$ lifetime sub over this? Are you that prone to blowing shit out of proportion?

You would have lost/gained nothing by just uninstalling it and never going back. You actually did *them* a favor by handing your money off a long time ago and deciding never to play again, on top of no longer having the option to if you ever would want to again. Ridiculous move, and I've seemn plenty over anti-F2P bias, but this one deserves a medal.

• bobblerbobbler Member UncommonPosts: 810

I rage quit SWG when the NGE came out...

You actually dismantled your 200$ lifetime sub over this? Are you that prone to blowing shit out of proportion?

You would have lost/gained nothing by just uninstalling it and never going back. You actually did *them* a favor by handing your money off a long time ago and deciding never to play again, on top of no longer having the option to if you ever would want to again. Ridiculous move, and I've seemn plenty over anti-F2P bias, but this one deserves a medal.

I've had my taste of F2P and none of them are pleasant and the idea behind them is deceiving.  I loved LOTRO before and did not like the news of Turbine going F2P with the game.

I stand by my convictions.

I am NOT one of those dumb*sses that will complain about what's going on, complain about the company's actions, but meekly shut up and keep going along like a little b*tch.  Maybe that's your stance on things, but I follow up with what I say and believe.

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

nge

My point is that you only cut yourself short, had you just stopped playing you would have accumulated their CS points over time and had tons of it should you actually ever decide to go back. You have no clue whatsoever to how this is going to affect LotRO, as I'm sure you never even tried DDO based on your "convictions". All you've done is do the company you swear you are trying to teach a lesson a favor, by giving them your money long ago and cutting off any chances that you'd use up their bandwidth again. If you really wanted to stick it to them, you should have just sold off your account to someone else. As is, this is just a ridiculous amount of pride forcing your hand to make a clearly lame move that only benefits Turbine, even with whatever "I quit" thread you prolly made on their forums out of spite, since it's most likely not even there, and failed to convince anyone else to make the same lame move you did. I am just in awe of the mentality it takes to do something like this, it's clearly not that of a sensible person's.

It does take the cake for "best ragequit ever" amongst this thread though, congrats.

My point is that you only cut yourself short, had you just stopped playing you would have accumulated their CS points over time and had tons of it should you actually ever decide to go back. You have no clue whatsoever to how this is going to affect LotRO, as I'm sure you never even tried DDO based on your "convictions". All you've done is do the company you swear you are trying to teach a lesson a favor, by giving them your money long ago and cutting off any chances that you'd use up their bandwidth again. If you really wanted to stick it to them, you should have just sold off your account to someone else. As is, this is just a ridiculous amount of pride forcing your hand to make a clearly lame move that only benefits Turbine, even with whatever "I quit" thread you prolly made on their forums out of spite, since it's most likely not even there, and failed to convince anyone else to make the same lame move you did. I am just in awe of the mentality it takes to do something like this, it's clearly not that of a sensible person's.

It does take the cake for "best ragequit ever" amongst this thread though, congrats.

I did myself a favor to sever all connection with them to NEVER EVER come back to them.  And I already said it, I have experienced first hand the "practices" of "Free" 2Play games, and it's revolting.

When I leave something, I f*ckin' mean it.  As for an "I quit" thread, LOL, didn't make one at all.  Complained about the move on the forums and that was it.  Search for "Warmaker01" over on their o-forums.  I am not a hard guy to find.  I knew that train wasn't going to change destination, so that was that.

Well, maybe you are more sensible than I figured. I've had people blow a fuse and report me for disagreeing with them in a less grandiose fashion as I have just now. Kudos to that, I guess.

Maybe some of those crybabies could take a lesson from you.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I wouldnt call it rage quit but I have quit AION and Darkfall for being down right boring to me.. AION was just too grindy, and darkfall was just too "serious".. everyone was a prick in darkfall (no offense to the friendly players) but everyone was so afraid of dying that they could not have fun at all.. It was all militaristic and tyrannical.. I play MMO's to have fun and neither of these MMO's had the fun factor I was looking for..

• TehJackalTehJackal Member Posts: 98

I cant say I have yet... if I find players that annoy me but i like the game i try to either find a new guild or server. One thing that would make me rage quit something would be the game going F2P... that crap just pisses me off!