Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight: The Plot Thickens

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Yesterday, Runic Games showed off a partially revealed image and today more of that same image is revealed. Speculation is that it has a lot to do with Runic's upcoming MMO based on its best-selling single-player RPG, Torchlight. See what you think!

Take a look at the full-sized version here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by SBFord

Yesterday, Runic Games showed off a partially revealed image and today more of that same image is revealed. Speculation is that it has a lot to do with Runic's upcoming MMO based on its best-selling single-player RPG, Torchlight. See what you think!

I think they need to send their new LCD monitor back due to some serious dead pixel issues. Or if that isn't the case, then they need to stop having their india ink throwing fights in the office and instead take it out to the parking lot like the rest of us.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by SBFord

I think they need to send their new LCD monitor back due to some serious dead pixel issues. Or if that isn't the case, then they need to stop having their india ink throwing fights in the office and instead take it out to the parking lot like the rest of us.

I don't know... It looks like some stairs and a column were photoshopped over a a night scene to me.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

while i liked the torchlight single player (playing till today) and probally gonna check the mmo, but come on Runic, you dont have all the wits to be playing the top cherry, your not a Bioware or ArenaNet to be playing "mistery guitar guy", know your place plz  ¬¬

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

I think it indicates it may not nessarly be only top down in the MO version.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

What classifies a title as best-selling these days? Or can anyone throw that word on their product?

I know people bought it. I know it made them a profit. I just don't see how it is classified as "best-selling".

I think the slowly revealing an image isn't the best viral marketing tool to use. To people who aren't interested, they would find it uninteresting. To those who are interesting it would probably be just plain annoying. But yes it looks like it's not top down and will be another in a long line of 3d third person view cartoony art style MMOs.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I think it's pretty obvious, they are re-making Ulduar for the casual player. Oh wait, that's already been done.

Srsly tho, a torchlight mmo is intriguing! Hope it's good and soon. Im bored out of my skull these days. All I play is vanguard now. Great game ... but it's missing something .. oh yea .. people :(

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• RalsarRalsar Member UncommonPosts: 305

It was Runic's best selling game to date!  They've never made a game that sold as good as Torchlight!  hehe

• vzarneotvzarneot Member Posts: 39

Did the art director that quit blizzard find his new home here? The one that was putting rainbows and shit in diablo 3....

Its just the picture reminds me of the art direction diablo 3 was taking before the art director quit.

Besides that all I see in the picture is the world of warcraft dwarf starter area.. <shrug>

What do they expect us to see when they throw us the same kinda art that wow has been using for years now.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Torchlight the single player is really nothing like warcraft, mmo or otherwise. If everything that doesn't have a realistic style of graphics == warcraft, then yes torchlight == warcraft. The two look nothing alike in the details. There isn't a mob I can think of off the top of my head that looks anything like you see in wow. Oh, and imagine that, stone columns with runes on them in a tolkien style game! Obviously it is a wow clone. Or maybe it's the snow that makes it a wow clone?

That being said, I believe there are former blizzard employees working on this.

This image was probably not a good way to go about .. whatever it is they are trying to go about at the moment .. but i'm still psyched!

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I think it indicates it may not nessarly be only top down in the MO version.

This is an interesting idea.

Steam: Neph

• InEccessInEccess Member UncommonPosts: 111

It looks like they're going to start preforming digital Rorchach testing over pre-rendered images of the old WoW login screen.

"Hoobastank is here. No? Who? WHO? Vampire Weekend?"

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

It's obvious what this pic is. They are going to announce that the MMO version will not be top down. It shouldn't come as a suprise either, since Mythos, their former game before the company went bye bye was working on making Mythos the same way. So amazing isn't it, especially when they rewrote the same freaking engine. This is some sad attempt at advertising a game's view, when most people who play it or knew the companies staff already knew this was going to happen.

• XiroXiro Member UncommonPosts: 118

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

while i liked the torchlight single player (playing till today) and probally gonna check the mmo, but come on Runic, you dont have all the wits to be playing the top cherry, your not a Bioware or ArenaNet to be playing "mistery guitar guy", know your place plz  ¬¬

They're place? Is much higher than you can comprehend. 

And PLEASE people do your research. This is the original diablo I and diablo II team. 

'case you didn't know before diablo III really even got on its way, half the team left, and made their own company. Bet you can't guess what they named themselves? 

No omg! Also.. whats that.. flagship is on the staff also? wasnt.. that also.. part of.. omg thats like almost the rest of the original diablo creators too! holy crap! 

not to mention all the other games these guys, and the other team members have under their belt... ;) know your crap before you stalk talkin crap ^.^ 

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

Originally posted by Xiro

And PLEASE people do your research. This is the original diablo I and diablo II team. 

'case you didn't know before diablo III really even got on its way, half the team left, and made their own company. Bet you can't guess what they named themselves? 

No omg! Also.. whats that.. flagship is on the staff also? wasnt.. that also.. part of.. omg thats like almost the rest of the original diablo creators too! holy crap! 

not to mention all the other games these guys, and the other team members have under their bet... ;) know your crap before you stalk talkin crap ^.^ 

Your half right and wrong. The team that left Blizzard was Blizzard North, only a few of it's members joined in when Flagship started up. When they started they were making Hellgate and had a side team that was working on thier second game, a top down style game named Mythos. When the company went sour and broke off, Mythos was picked up by some Asian developer. The guys who ran that studio decided to start up this company and signed with PWE or Perfect World Entertainment to help publish and develop this game and the MMO counterpart. So if your folowing that, then not all if any of the Blizzard North team is working on this game. I think the only major player was Roper and he works on Star Trek and CO now. The real meat of Blizzard North resides in Arenanet hence the resembelence in names which made GW1 and soon to be released GW2. So, maybe someone else should do there homework eh?

• PGrimmPGrimm Member UncommonPosts: 40

hehe  nice one Mackdawg !  

Anyways  at first glance  I thought  this  was the cover of the old D&D 1st edition   players books...  then i realized the stair case doesn't bend around in a circle shape.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

torchlight was a pretty awesome RPG, i can't wait for the MMO.  the pic looks like stairs....

• ArezonArezon Member UncommonPosts: 282

Looks like some unfinished concept art that they should have spent more time on. You'd think with a reveal like this they would have picked something better.

• sigrethsigreth Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by mackdawg19

Originally posted by Xiro

not to mention all the other games these guys, and the other team members have under their bet... ;) know your crap before you stalk talkin crap ^.^ 

Your half right and wrong. The team that left Blizzard was Blizzard North, only a few of it's members joined in when Flagship started up. When they started they were making Hellgate and had a side team that was working on thier second game, a top down style game named Mythos. When the company went sour and broke off, Mythos was picked up by some Asian developer. The guys who ran that studio decided to start up this company and signed with PWE or Perfect World Entertainment to help publish and develop this game and the MMO counterpart. So if your folowing that, then not all if any of the Blizzard North team is working on this game. I think the only major player was Roper and he works on Star Trek and CO now. The real meat of Blizzard North resides in Arenanet hence the resembelence in names which made GW1 and soon to be released GW2. So, maybe someone else should do there homework eh?

Actually your wrong mackdawg19. ArenaNet was created by the guys who did Warcraft and vanilla WoW (I believe 1 or 2 people from the Diablo team joined but minor individuals), and Flagship was half the guys who did Diablo and Diablo 2 (and concepts for D3). Flagship created Hellgate: London yes, but Mythos was not a side project game. It was a server side testing platform they built to test Hellgate's multiplayer. Mythos came into concept after Hellgate failed to capture audiences, which used all the Hellgate coding. Flagship then went under because of costs from Hellgate. They then sold Hellgate and Mythos IPs to a Korean company (Unbi or something like that) and started up Runic Games which developed and published Torchlight independently from PWE. Once that sold, they partnered up with PWE for publishing and micro-transaction purposes only. PWE has nothing to do with the development phase. In fact PWE in known for letting the developers do their thing while supporting from a publisher role which is what they are good at.

- Sigreth

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

^ lol first post in 6 years? :p

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

It looks like there is a shadow on the stairs like there is someone standing in the doorway at the top.

New class reveal??