Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Day/Night Cycle?

Juztinb42Juztinb42 Member Posts: 38

Any word on the day/night cycle in CoS?

Comments

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

So what are you asking about day night cycles?   I'm sure the devs will answer if you ask a more specific question.

• Juztinb42Juztinb42 Member Posts: 38

I wasn't aware there could be more than one meaning for a day/night cycle...

As in, how day and night cycles.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Juztinb42

I wasn't aware there could be more than one meaning for a day/night cycle...

As in, how day and night cycles.

Structure a question or make a statement as to what you would like to see within the game and why. And Jatar will very likely answer your question. As it is you seem to be being vague. Starting your post with "Any word on ..." reads really strange as if you have some expectation as to a core feature , as if it is a key feature ? But you don't back up your question with anything.

Based on your in depthh question the reply could be one of many....

• Yes we have Day and Night. Based on a 4 hour cycle.

• COS has seven suns orbiting the reflected worlds, so it is permanently in daylight 18 x 14, because we have 18 hour days and 14 days in a COS week.

• We have no concept of day or night COS is different.

• The Day/Night cycle is very complex and cannot be discussed at this early point in the development cycle.

But then I am just guesing because I am bored.... you will have to wait for a reply from official sources.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

I guess the word is 'yes', there is a day and night cycle.

But, I could expound more on this issue if you wish.  Day and night is more than just light and dark times in the game, NPCs treat night like it is supposed to be, meaning, most of them go to bed, shops shut down, people go to Taverns and pubs, theives come out to steal, city guards start night patrols, night creatures come put to prey, Caravans stop to camp, etc. 

Anyway, hope that answers your question, if not, let me know what else you wanted to know.

• Juztinb42Juztinb42 Member Posts: 38

Thanks, yes, that is what I was looking to find out.

• SandbaggerSandbagger Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by Jatar

I guess the word is 'yes', there is a day and night cycle.

But, I could expound more on this issue if you wish.  Day and night is more than just light and dark times in the game, NPCs treat night like it is supposed to be, meaning, most of them go to bed, shops shut down, people go to Taverns and pubs, theives come out to steal, city guards start night patrols, night creatures come put to prey, Caravans stop to camp, etc. 

Anyway, hope that answers your question, if not, let me know what else you wanted to know.

NPCs go to bed?  As in, lay down and sleep?   I'm not sure I've seen that before in an MMO, though I wonder why not?  From this description it seems that night will be a very different time in the game, that should add some fun.  I wonder what night creatures they are planning?  Vampires?  (I think I read somewhere that they aren't using standard monster races, so probably not).  But, if not Vampires, I wonder what their night creatures are and what they are like?

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Well, I for one, am tired of vampires in games, movies, books and god, probably in my cereal.   I look forward to all new monster races.  I just hope they take the time to develop the back story and 'rules' of each monster race to make the interesting and different.

As for night being different than day (staying on the OPs topic), great.  Let's have as much change as possible when the sun sets.  I have seen a couple of RPGs that handled this pretty well, with races that change at night.   Let's hope that this game can make good use of night so that it isn't just an annoying time when it's harder to see.  Make it creepy and dangerous, so that you sweat a little when the sun sets.  image

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

Well, I for one, am tired of vampires in games, movies, books and god, probably in my cereal.   I look forward to all new monster races.  I just hope they take the time to develop the back story and 'rules' of each monster race to make the interesting and different.

As for night being different than day (staying on the OPs topic), great.  Let's have as much change as possible when the sun sets.  I have seen a couple of RPGs that handled this pretty well, with races that change at night.   Let's hope that this game can make good use of night so that it isn't just an annoying time when it's harder to see.  Make it creepy and dangerous, so that you sweat a little when the sun sets.  image

The fact that any generated NPC has a number of charecteristics on creation and it follows these means that you have created quests free of charge, as if you encounter one of these they will react to your prescence and then it';s game on.

Night is Night Day is Day, The NPCs are just that with objectives , aims and specified charecteristics. It is the fact that they arent glued to a 5x5 grid and always respawn in the same placce that makes this game concept special.

• kmoore00kmoore00 Member Posts: 4

Glad to see npc's actually know night from day for a change and arent just statically standing outside all knight waiting to reply to us lol.