Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why should I pre-order a downloadable product?

patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114

I was browsing at this game site in order to sign up for the beta testing and I found the game is ready to pre-order as a always-downloadable-games customer I chose that option and found the game was ready to purchase for about $50 that is fine since I know there is a lot of investment in the game and the game looks to be a good one. However my question was why should I pay now for a product that is in a server and can be access whenever a customer pays for it? I mean a boxed game is produced in a limited quantities so pre-order is a must if you want to ensure having one specially in a high demand game as this one is expected to be, but what is the rush if a downloadable game can be accessed millions of times and always will be there. My question remains: Why should I pre-order a downloadable product? If there is any reason why I should please let me know.

Comments

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149

Sometimes when you pre-order a MMO game you can receive special in-game items that no one else will be able to get if they do not pre-order. I'm not sure if DCUO will be offering anything like this or not, but that would be the only reason I could think of to pre-order a downloadable version of the game.

• wfSegwfSeg Member Posts: 96

You get these for pre-ordering (images off massively), depending on the method you use to preorder

shinier

shiny

To answer your question, OP, there really is no rush. I think preorders nowadays is used primarly to prepare the game for launch. Since you can buy games digitally now, the perks are really the only reason to pre-order.

Btw, http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-who-dc-universe/702049

DCUO's trailer is one of the most epic trailers I've seen in a while. Sadly, trailer =/= gameplay.. but it's still so cool =)

"I am the harbinger of hope. I am the sword of the righteous. And to all who hear my words, I say this: What you give to this Empire, I shall give back unto you."
    -Empress Jamyl Sarum I

• knyghttearerknyghttearer Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by MidniteHowl

Sometimes when you pre-order a MMO game you can receive special in-game items that no one else will be able to get if they do not pre-order. I'm not sure if DCUO will be offering anything like this or not, but that would be the only reason I could think of to pre-order a downloadable version of the game.

how about pre-order so u can install the game from ur dvd player and not have to sit through 4 plus hours of downloading because everyone else is trying to download the game at the exact same time as u

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

It gives SOE the maximum amount of time to think about the best way to soak customers for the most money, and to sell your personal information to multiple outside parties.

• OdesuOdesu Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Burntvet

It gives SOE the maximum amount of time to think about the best way to soak customers for the most money, and to sell your personal information to multiple outside parties.

Please provide some factual basis for this accusation, because I for one am at a loss how pre-ordering from Amazon.com gives Sony Online Entertainment access to my personal information.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Odesu

Please provide some factual basis for this accusation, because I for one am at a loss how pre-ordering from Amazon.com gives Sony Online Entertainment access to my personal information.

Amazon.com is not the only place to preorder this.

SOE has already been caught selling subscriber information to 3rd party advertisers, both on Facebook and in other places.

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

Originally posted by Odesu

Amazon.com is not the only place to preorder this.

SOE has already been caught selling subscriber information to 3rd party advertisers, both on Facebook and in other places.

Links to sources please?

otehrwise its just crud

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

The company has to provide you with a reason to pre-order,  from a customer perspective your right, there isnt any real need to pre-order.

But the game company do want you to pre-order since it gives them an idea of population and starts securing some funds.

Thing is though, with the terrible state of almost all MMO releases of the past few years I dont pre-order anymore, the minor benefits of early access or a unique title doesnt compensate for the fact that the game fails after the first month.   So now I just wait until after the first month to see how it goes.

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

No way in hell will I ever pre-order a game from SOE!

• patshirpatshir Member Posts: 114

Guys do you know of any epic failure of an highly expected game offered for pre-order and then closing after a month or so?