Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else think Blizzard would make killer movies?

SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

So I just watched the new SC2 Trailer! It felt like a movie trailer and realy good one at that? That trailer made me pre order the game! Anyone else think they would make killer movies?

http://www.mmo-champion.com/ (link to the movie)

Comments

• SquashedbugSquashedbug Member Posts: 4

Theyve made a bunch of tv show already.

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Originally posted by Serenes

So I just watched the new SC2 Trailer! It felt like a movie trailer and realy good one at that? That trailer made me pre order the game! Anyone else think they would make killer movies?

Heh you pre-ordered the game because of a cinematic?... nice one.. shame the game is boring as hell and you'll get bored with it in a couple of weeks max.

It's years behind Company of Heroes strategy-wise..

oh and it was a nice video... horrible face animation though... and blizzard is no more king of cinematics (their diablo2/wow era).... bioware is..... Deceived and Hope are the two best game animations I've seen

..Cake..

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Squashedbug
    Theyve made a bunch of tv show already.

Good one post wonder, made me lol ty

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I should have known better then say anything good about Blizzard. Starcraft is still played by Millions has world wide compatetions?

• cshanorcshanor Member UncommonPosts: 64

Yes, I believe Blizzard's movie making team is very talented. Love or hate WoW, I think they do a fine job with the opening movies for WoW and its expansions.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

http://www.mmo-champion.com/ (link to the movie)

You bought that game over the cinematic?  Maybe you should have checked out some of the player feedback and reviews on the web.  I don't want to turn this into a thread debating the merits and flaws of SC2 so I will leave it at that.

Steam: Neph

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I should have known better then say anything good about Blizzard. Starcraft is still played by Millions has world wide compatetions?

All flash, no substance is the problem.  I enjoyed Starcraft and Diablo II thoroughly, but I wouldn't touch any Blizzard product now with a 10ft pole.  Especially with their account systems and possibly charging for battlenet, among other things.

Ummm almost all of Blizzards game graphics are outdated and well just plain bad. the games like SC and Diablo 2 and even WoW are played for content and content alone I know I don't play it for its graphics.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I should have known better then say anything good about Blizzard.

Yeah what the hell were you thinking?

I consider myself to be a Blizzard hater these days but I have always been impressed with their cinematics. Since we have only ever seen short films such as cutscenes and game intros from them I'm not sure how good they would be with a full length feature film, but I imagine they could do a pretty decent job.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Tardcore

I should have known better then say anything good about Blizzard.

Yeah what the hell were you thinking?

I consider myself to be a Blizzard hater these days but I have always been impressed with their cinematics. Since we have only ever seen short films such as cutscenes and game intros from them I'm not sure how good they would be with a full length feature film, but I imagine they could do a pretty decent job.

As long as they didn't let "Mr. T" star in it.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Ummm almost all of Blizzards game graphics are outdated and well just plain bad. the games like SC and Diablo 2 and even WoW are played for content and content alone I know I don't play it for its graphics.

What? I think you must've posted in the wrong thread. This is about their cinematics, not their graphics in-game.

Originally posted by Lorgarn

What? I think you must've posted in the wrong thread. This is about their cinematics, not their graphics in-game.

You did not read the post above that did you? amazing how people miss the point of some post like this one.

It was a response too the person above this post saying all flash no Substances I was making a point that Blizzards game only have substances because there games graphics suck....

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

No, game stories and sequences are entirely different than movies. What makes a good movie sequence would often seem dull in a game and what works in a game comes off and ridiculously overdone in a movie. it is quite similar to what makes a book amazing often  just not translating to a movie well.

TLDR: Different mediums do different story aspects better than others, but crossing the book, movie and game mediums means something never quite works out right.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Isn't there a WoW movie already in the works?  I think Sam Raimi has signed on to direct and will probably be working on this film after he finishes up Oz: The Great and Powerful for Disney.  No set release date or anything, but it could hit by late 2011 early 2012.  Personally, I have no interest in seeing it whatsoever.

Steam: Neph

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by sgel

Heh you pre-ordered the game because of a cinematic?... nice one.. shame the game is boring as hell and you'll get bored with it in a couple of weeks max.

oh and it was a nice video... horrible face animation though... and blizzard is no more king of cinematics (their diablo2/wow era).... bioware is..... Deceived and Hope are the two best game animations I've seen

Company of heroes is a great game (if you dont count the last expansion).  But it still only has around 7,000 players online at peek time (world wide), SC1 still servers 100,000+ each day.  SC2 will do just the same, at peek the EU server had 8,000-10,000 beta testers online. 

As to the differences between each game, CoH is slower paced than SC2 so they realy should not be compared, if you find no enjoyment or the pace too fast in SC1/2 then thats ok cus you have CoH, so go enjoy that.

Some people also don't realise thats the trailer is half pre-rendered CGI and half in engine/game CGI.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Isn't there a WoW movie already in the works?  I think Sam Raimi has signed on to direct and will probably be working on this film after he finishes up Oz: The Great and Powerful for Disney.  No set release date or anything, but it could hit by late 2011 early 2012.  Personally, I have no interest in seeing it whatsoever.

Good, more room for me and everyone I know.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Bioware contracted out to a different company to make those cinematics. They were made by Blur Studios http://www.blur.com/

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I think they have good stories.  I am not so sure they would make good movies.  Now if you give it to another studio to take their story and make them INTO movies I think they would roawk!

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• loubanlouban Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by NovaKayne

I think they have good stories.  I am not so sure they would make good movies.  Now if you give it to another studio to take their story and make them INTO movies I think they would roawk!

I agree with the good story lines. Also their cinematics are one of the best I know of. As for a movie, I don't want it to become totally hyped about then become a flop which is below everyones expectations.

• BaffaBaffa Member Posts: 37

Name one really top of the charts movie based from a video game.

One really bad example is Wing Commander, really cool cutscenes for a GAME but as a movie, wow, worst crap of the last century (or whever the movie was released..)

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i could just imagine blizzard charging you $50 to watch the rest of the movie halfway through.

• medmarijuanamedmarijuana Member Posts: 282

tbh. No, I don't.

Also, I'm with the one guy, they would probably stop the movie half way and then tell you that there is an xpac that will be coming out and charge you 50 dollars to see it.

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

As far as cinematic's, 'Blur' Studios owns everyone.

Remember,  great cinematics does not a great movie make. Remember, back when Squaresoft was riding high on its Final Fantasy Series, with insanely beautiful cinematics.  So much so, that they decided to make a movie...'Final Fantasy: th spirits within"

It was a beautifully rendered disaster...They'd been spending years writing stories where the viewer has over 50 hours to do character exposition, story, etc....now they had to do it in less than 2 hours. Horrible dialog, Sotry wasn't bad, but it was just done all wrong.

Now, if someone else with an excellent track-record for great movies, etc went to them and asked them to simply render them a movie....it probably would have a great flick!

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Yea Blizzard should make a Starcraft movie by just copying Avatar and switch the blue guys for Protoss instead :p

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Blizzard has great cinematics that make you want to play the game.  Then you realize the cinematic was extremely different from what the game actually offers.

So if they made a movie, it'd have an amazing trailer.  You'd go to the show, and come out after surrounded by kids and feeling dumber for having experienced it.