Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if you can revive any game .. what would it be and why?

Comments

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I'd revive two games that never saw the light of day, but with updated graphics. Wish Online and UXO  (Ultima X Odyssey I believe it was called.)

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Tabula Rasa.  They were really on to something with it but just made all of the wrong development moves.

"Oh, hey players!  I know we've only released like two non-repeatable instances in the past six months since launch but we decided Spies needed a seventeenth patch dedicated solely to them.  Hope ya don't mind!

Oh, and by the way: f**k Grenadiers and new content!"

Yeah...

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I'd like to play AC2 personally. I never got a chance to play it and I would love to.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

It would probably be Dark Age of Camelot. I'd take it directly back to how the game played during the first expansion, update the server code and graphics, and then carefully add in the things that have worked since then. 

Or, alternatively, I'd revive Vanguard, have them finish all those half finished continents they just have sitting over at the Sigil offices, get Brad back on the project, and set aside a team to work on some kind of guild based PvP with naval combat and territory captures. 

Originally posted by ezjay1975

Originally posted by LotosSlayer

Pre-CU SWG. I really wish I could've played it when it was around, so many people make it out to be amazing.

Same. Never got to play it, the way people talk about it I feel like there's a giant hole in my life that may never be filled. "sarcasm off"

Seriously though from what I've read it does sound awesome, if it would have blown up we would have a whole different set of MMO's out right now. Just a guess.

Eh, PreCU was pretty f****d.  Don't let people fool you.  It's combat system was retarded, the buffs were out of control which completely marginalized all PvE content (people would aggro like ten rancors and then karate kick them to death (while they were AFK, obviously), the HAM system was completely f****d in PvP which shelved every single profession which didn't have a mind attack, and everyone wore exactly the same set of armor.

It had it's cool points but people still QQ about it just because it was unfairly taken from them, not necessarily because it was all that great.

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

Originally posted by lkavadas

Tabula Rasa.  They were really on to something with it but just made all of the wrong development moves.

"Oh, hey players!  I know we've only released like two non-repeatable instances in the six months but launch but we decided Spies needed seventeenth patch dedicated to them.  Hope ya don't mind!

Oh, and by the way: fuck Grenadiers and new content!"

Yeah...

I think about this game lots of times. Great game, with a awesome Dynamic World. I loved to fight to conquer/hold bases. The AI was quite impressive, but... lacked 2  or 3 playable factions with some zones to be conquered!! That would be awesome!!

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Auto Assault. I would have every MMO destroyed to have that back :(

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Wish. Huge Single server single world. In game Dungeon masters having constant live events around the world. Massive crafting system. Skill based. Of course it was point n click only which turned off some people but it facilitated having that giant one server world much like eve. Sigh

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

Pre-CU SWG. I really wish I could've played it when it was around, so many people make it out to be amazing.

Same. Never got to play it, the way people talk about it I feel like there's a giant hole in my life that may never be filled. "sarcasm off"

Seriously though from what I've read it does sound awesome, if it would have blown up we would have a whole different set of MMO's out right now. Just a guess.

Eh, PreCU was pretty f****d.  Don't let people fool you.  It's combat system was retarded, the buffs were out of control which completely marganilized all PvE content (people would aggro like ten rancors and then karate kick them to death (while they were AFK, obviously), the HAM system was completely f****d in PvP which shelved every single profession which didn't have a mind attack, and everyone wore exactly the same set of armor.

It had it's cool points but people still QQ about it just because it was unfairly taken from them, not necessarily because it was all that great.

Very true, there were a lot of bad things ruining SWG. The Jedi system for once, and the buffs. It had some great features though, and if it had enough budget for someone to go back and fix it, it'd make a great game.

Originally posted by Garvon3

Eh, PreCU was pretty f****d.  Don't let people fool you.  It's combat system was retarded, the buffs were out of control which completely marganilized all PvE content (people would aggro like ten rancors and then karate kick them to death (while they were AFK, obviously), the HAM system was completely f****d in PvP which shelved every single profession which didn't have a mind attack, and everyone wore exactly the same set of armor.

Very true, there were a lot of bad things ruining SWG. The Jedi system for once, and the buffs. It had some great features though, and if it had enough budget for someone to go back and fix it, it'd make a great game.

still better then NGE...

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!

Yeah.  TBH if you fixed the Health and Action buffs to be commensurate with entertainer's mind buffs, and then allow mind to be as easily healed as anything else, pretty much all of the combat woes would have been solved right there.

At that point it would just be a matter of un-retarding gimped armor sets/weapons and some simple fixes to broken stuff (like everything that involved the Commando profession, for instance).

And the dev's complete fetish for pushing one retarded Jedi revamp after another down our throat in a game in which they should have never been included at all really made the rest of the game suffer.

I name Jedi as the largest contributing factor to PreCU's downfall; had all of the force-tards just STFU and let us play the damn game the devs could have focused on what really mattered rather than Jedi Revamp Patch #832570283567072562 in a row.

• AckbarAckbar Member UncommonPosts: 927

Originally posted by pepsi1028

Please dont.

----ITS A TRAP!!!----

Originally posted by Ackbar

Please dont.

If I could I would....but someone release a free server damnit

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!

still better then NGE...

Well yeah, just about anything is better than the NGE

still better then NGE...

I would still have what I had before instead of that, but yeah it wasn't the best anyways so I agree with you...

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156

Probably Earth and Beyond.  I'm a big fan of space games and I have fond memories of playing this one a long time ago and the reasons why I quit have faded enough I'd play it again if it was still around.

still better then NGE...

I would still have what I had before instead of that, but yeah it wasn't the best anyways so I agree with you...

SWG was a great, even with its critical flaws. Jump to Lightspeed is still one of the best expansions in any MMO to date. Just a few small things changed is all I would want haha

Ahhh stop it! your making me want to play again :/

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

While Original SWG was fun, it was more of the whole WOW STAR WARS! feelings.

Anyways!

Fury or Hellgate london!

Fury was all about PvP. You got loot from PvP.  It was a fairly fun system, but the system requirements were INSANE at the time.  And there were huge memory leaks and just overall bad problems with the program.

I remember them saying when I first heard of it, the Week preview would have 1 million people.  Then 500,000 they said...Then 100,000...and yeah....

Hellgate London by the people who made Diablo I/II.  Had the right idea, but it seemed like it was trying to everything and nothing.

• adam42003adam42003 Member Posts: 25

the very old Dark Sun Online. anybody remember that one? I'd like it brought back to see if its as good as I remember. I doubt it but still :)

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Original Everquest.  To me, that is the gold standard for the genre. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452

SWG CU version for me...

I guess Gods and Heroes is being revived...I think that's pretty cool...image

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

Yeah.  TBH if you fixed the Health and Action buffs to be commensurate with entertainer's mind buffs, and then allow mind to be as easily healed as anything else, pretty much all of the combat woes would have been solved right there.

At that point it would just be a matter of un-retarding gimped armor sets/weapons and some simple fixes to broken stuff (like everything that involved the Commando profession, for instance).

And the dev's complete fetish for pushing one retarded Jedi revamp after another down our throat in a game in which they should have never been included at all really made the rest of the game suffer.

I name Jedi as the largest contributing factor to PreCU's downfall; had all of the force-tards just STFU and let us play the damn game the devs could have focused on what really mattered rather than Jedi Revamp Patch #832570283567072562 in a row.

I played the game right at the best time possible.  I started playing SWG  6/14/04 and played every month till 11/19/05. The nge hit 11/15/05.  I only had to put up with the nge for 4 days and that was it.    I quote  "They also announced on 20 December 2002 that the ground-based component of Star Wars Galaxies would be called An Empire Divided and that the game's online community had grown to over 400,000 users since its inception in November 2000. At the time, this represented one of the largest ever fan communities amassed for any game prior to retail availability."  This game was huge and nothing like it had come before it.  Whats the only thing that could have killed it, a SWGkiller aka a wowkiller. What game fit the bill, of course wow did.  Nuff said, the game was over before it got to get any momentum.  

I like many SWG players switched over to wow when it came out, although I kepy playing both.  It really was nice being able to play wow as my main game and go to SWG.  They totally benfited each other I think in this aspect for me, cause I would burn out on wow then go play SWG.  I Started playing wow 1/4/05 a few months after release.  .  I personally never felt there was anything wrong with the SWG world and I really enjoyed it every minute I played.  I just wish there was something to go back to that I enjoyed about the game when I played it back then.  Its just not that way any more and I dont even like to think about the game.  

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It would have to be Shadowbane.  I remember everybody I knew leaving the Throne of Oblivion beta for the WoW beta though.  People just hated ToO that much...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

I would also defintly have to go with AC2. I know the AC1 crowd dont like it because it wasnt AC1 with better graphics. I never played AC1, but from what i hear it seems to be an issue of totally different type of gameplay compared to AC2. The only thing it seems to have in common as the lore and world/charachters. Seems to be about as different from AC1 as GW2 will be from GW1.

I loved AC2. It had flaws definitely, but most of those where due to the microsoft/turbine devs having a tug of war with the game and the terrible customer service. Just seemed that by the time the smoke cleared and turbine won ownership of the game, they didnt really care about it. But it was really ahead of its time. I think it would do far better if released now than it did at the time. Most of our computers then just didnt have the hardware to do it justice at the time. But ive ...umm "seen" it on a more modern rig and it actually holds up really well graphically.