Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if you can revive any game .. what would it be and why?

for myself  it would be Asheron's Call 2.   my first mmo.  before wow or FF11, almost same time when SWG just came out, and EVE was still in its infancy.

I remember creating a big hulking Lugian Male.. and using the portal like "stargate effect" to the starting area. the world was beutifull.. grass sways as the wind blows, your armor and your flesh shows damage as you get into tough fights, but slowly repairs itself as you rest.  sounds of the world and the music is like no other.  Lotros music instrument, the way you can hit keyboard keys for the notes was first introduced on this game.

the basic layout of wow ui interface. is straight carbon copy of ac2.   it was one of the first mmo that uses addons, ui layout and what not. .. again this was pre-wow.

anyway.. I would like to read more about you guys.  post away.

ac2 quest night

Comments

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Revive with changes or revive as-is?  I wouldn't revive AC2 as-is because it wasn't good enough of a game, and it changed too much from AC1.  Thus it never had the loyal AC player's support.  But if reviving with changes to AC2, to make it more like AC1 but with newer graphics, then I'd say yes AC2 would be a great game to revive.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Tabula Rasa. Its a game I always planned on playing but waited to long. I know it closed for a reason but would still liked to have experienced the game.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Originally posted by beartoe

for myself  it would be Asheron's Call 2.   my first mmo.  before wow or FF11, almost same time when SWG just came out, and EVE was still in its infancy.

I remember creating a big hulking Lugian Male.. and using the portal like "stargate effect" to the starting area. the world was beutifull.. grass sways as the wind blows, your armor and your flesh shows damage as you get into tough fights, but slowly repairs itself as you rest.  sounds of the world and the music is like no other.  Lotros music instrument, the way you can hit keyboard keys for the notes was first introduced on this game.

the basic layout of wow ui interface. is straight carbon copy of ac2.   it was one of the first mmo that uses addons, ui layout and what not. .. again this was pre-wow.

anyway.. I would like to read more about you guys.  post away.

ac2 quest night

Agreed if Turbine would bring back AC2 I prob would never play any other game, specially if the updated it and gave it some love. I don't see why they just don't bring it back as a free to play. I know they would make money with it! It was prob my first true MMO love. No game since has had the playability that AC2 had. Never tried AC1 but always wanted to but I don't think I can deal with those horrible graphics now. I know graphics don't make the game but AC1'a graphics are silly and stupid looking to the point it pisses me off to even see screenshots.

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

Shadowbane.  most realized potential of any mmo in history.

all i would change is the entire dedicated playerbase!!! never has somthing so awesome been so wasted on terrible short sighted people.  

if the games server issues had been fixed or avoided, and much larger ammounts of player been possible, it would have been (or led to a sequel/expansion) that could have been a wow killer.  instead of few jerkhole beta leet players got tight with the devs and drove the game into the ground.

the same 8 players who ruined it the first time are currently supporting the upcoming emulator, which by the looks of the forums, is shaping up to be as impenetrable and snobby as the first incarnation.  what a colossal waste of talent!!

• ImperMorteImperMorte Member Posts: 7

Auto Assault.  Was a very well realised game.  NCSoft just did their typical produce and fail for many of their early titles.  I would also have to say If Tabula Rasa incorporated FPS instead of Third Person Tactical game play and better implement PvP balancing then that would be awesome.

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

DAOC or Vanguard, everything else can die.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Got to be The Matrix online and Earth And Beyond for me. same reason, I never got a chace to play them. They both sound like  I would have enjoyed them.

Honorable mentions; Star Wars pre NGE to see what all the fuss is about and Tabula Rasa becouse just as I was getting into it they closed it down.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Matrix Online.

I never got around to playing it, then SOE shut it down.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Matrix Online! Hate SOE for  what they did they just did not want another syfy mmo vs SWG.

• Gardavil2Gardavil2 Member Posts: 394

Which MMO would revive if we could?

None of them.

Because most of the Players that made the old school MMOs so enjoyable have left MMO Gaming. A new generation of MMO Gamer is here and is now more of a majority than we ever were years ago.

Because most of the Developers, Artists, Forum Staff, Community Leads that made those MMOs great are gone as well. Developers don't run their own MMOs now, Suits do, and well Suits can't hold a candle to running an enjoyable MMO as far as I am concerned... they can make a MMO financially successful, but that's different. Financial success does not always equal an exhilarating and memorable MMO experience. In my own experience Financial success for a MMO usually kills the fun of an MMO. MMOs are best imho when they are designed for a niche audience. Niche audience's don't make huge profits "usually". There are exceptions...

Call me a pessimist but I thoroughly believe any attempt to revive any of the old school MMOs that so many of us on these forums say we miss would only end up reviving old software (even updated software) but with too many new faces that do not do things as Players did years ago. Too many Faces that want something different from MMOs then we enjoyed.

I would rather remember those old MMOs as they were, remember the Players for who they were and how they played their game, remember the Devs and the Staff of the old MMOs for how they did things, good and bad, then to try to "reenact" the old days.

I am the Player that wonders... "What the %#*& just happened?!"
    "I Believe... There should be NO financial connection or portals between the Real World and the Virtual in MMOs. "
    __Ever Present Cockroach of the MMO Verses__
    ...scurrying to and fro... .munching on bits of garbage... always under foot...

• I would have to say Shadowbane. I spent many hours playing and enjoying the quest . And running from high lvl pk'ers, it was a blast . With a little graphics love, and new worlds and quest , I am sure it would be a blast again.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

Leisure suit Larry!!! kidding

Original SWG for obvious reasons, and I though Earth and Beyond was fun too, and The Matrix was pretty fun at times.

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Tabula Rasa - was just starting to enjoy it when they shut it down.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Elidien

DAOC. I would get rid of the task dungeons, and TOA expansion. I would also get rid of the level 20 command where players can make alts automatically level 20 if they have a level 50 main.

I would make getting level 50 a challenge again and get a handle on crowd control in RVR.

But most of all, I would ban buffbots and all related activity.

If  I did all that, DAOC would be the glory of its former self and once again home for this jaded vet.

+ Graphics overhaul for the eye candy crowd

+ UI overhaul for just about everyone

= win.

• LotosSlayerLotosSlayer Member Posts: 247

Pre-CU SWG. I really wish I could've played it when it was around, so many people make it out to be amazing.

• KyarraKyarra Member UncommonPosts: 789

Pre CU SWG, miss that game, old school DAoC and AC2. Those were my favorite games  :(

• VolatileManVolatileMan Member Posts: 45

For me it would definately be SWG Pre patch 9 (the truly good ol days). Earth and Beyond was fun as well.

On a slightly sideways tangent (oxymoron?) how about if Neverwinter Nights could have a server max of 640 instead of 64? Man you could have 40 live GM's and 600 players, that would have ROCKED considering some of impressive worlds teams did make (Blood Axe Realms anyone?)

Volatileman

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

Ultima Online.  It was the most fun I've ever had in an MMO with the sandbox, skill-based style it was a great game with real suspense.  I don't know if I would actually try to revive it as much as I would just scrap it and totally remake it. 

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

This is a very good question as there are many things ID like to revive.  First and formost wow would be my favorite choice.  I loved vinilla wow so much.  I could probubly play vinilla wow pve for ever and not get tired of it.  If i was the lead dev at blizzard I would have never released any expansions.  What I would have done would be add new things to the game that actually make it a better place.  Wow had the right ideas, adding world bosses, adding new dungeons like zul grub and anh'quiaj.  They were doing so well then came BC and everything I new about wow changed, from spliting players up into two different categories, those with and those without the expansion.  There was always a sence in wow for me that everyone was playing togather but when BC came along It totaly felt like we were playing two seperate games and the players were no longer playing the same game.  I think wow could have did things differently, they could have added world pvp like what went on in hilldbrad foothils before batlegrounds came out and how that felt so epic to be apart of.  Granted I loved Alteric valley when it came out, but I think they could have done some really amazing world pvp stuff.  Also new things, instead of just adding new zones, and player races they could have added more imortand things like more stuff for vets of the game.  Things like more grouping features maybee group quests in open world, having open zones that players teleport to in non instances parts of the land, having both faction pve for quests stuff like this.  Theres plenty of ideas that are just off the wall that could have been implimented.  I just personally dont belive in expansions for p2p games.  Insteaed of players paying for blizzards advertisement for there game through expansions,  I think the vets and all players should have been given better.  Blizzard didnt need more money, they just didnt know how and didnt have the courage to take there game up a level.  What were left with is multiple zones that splits all the players up and is very veteran unfriendly.  Granted the game is still doing well, this is all the advertising veteran players have payed for that brings in new players with expansions I think.  ID like to know the statistics on veterans leaving the game compared to newbies joining.  At any rate there are many more ideas I could think of that blizard could have done and didnt but that will have to wait for another day friends. 

I also liked hellgate london,  even though I didnt play it I seen it in target one time and actualy brought it up to the register then decided on a whim not to buy it.  Next week later it had been taken down.  Boy I was glad I didnt get it.  I like that type of style of game, and the horror theme was so cool.  My next game Id like to resurect would be Stargate worlds.  One of my favorite shows even though I didnt watch much of it, and the movie was good when I went to see it in theaters.  I think it had alot of good things going for it.  One thing I didnt think would happen would be they could not have the funds to finish it.  ITs stargate for christs sakes.  Think of how many episodes they have made of stargate, like the most out of any damn tv show ever aired.  I just didnt see how that much of stargate could go on without being able to release there mmo.  There website was always so nice, it looked like they were doing well, i mean just the stargate franchise but even so it has been dormat for long times. The developer Cheyeene Mountain entertainment has had problems funding the game.  From what I looked at all of the game looked really good.  I even remember them airing a comercial on tv.  The gameplay loooked fun and the ideas behind the game looked very nice.  The first screenshots that came out using there engine were so cool.  It just didnt happen though, so for me this ranks at the top of my list for games that  I could ressurect .

Also honerable mention would have to go out to my beloved Starwars Galxies of course.  If Wow never released SWG would be sitting shinning in the sun like it was at its height in the mmo world. 

• vinwieselvinwiesel Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by ImperMorte

Auto Assault.  Was a very well realised game.  NCSoft just did their typical produce and fail for many of their early titles.  I would also have to say If Tabula Rasa incorporated FPS instead of Third Person Tactical game play and better implement PvP balancing then that would be awesome.

Auto Assault would be a good one, as long as they added  non-vehicle combat as well.  I would like to see it where you fight from your vehicle in the open land, but arrive at destinations where it plays like a traditional MMO.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

Tabula Rasa. Bought the retail box but never got the chance to play it.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Auto Assault with some changes to make it less repetive, or Dungeon runners, both were decent games, Vanguard too. VG is down to 1 dev, its pretty much dead in the water now.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Originally posted by LotosSlayer

Pre-CU SWG. I really wish I could've played it when it was around, so many people make it out to be amazing.

Same. Never got to play it, the way people talk about it I feel like there's a giant hole in my life that may never be filled. "sarcasm off"

Seriously though from what I've read it does sound awesome, if it would have blown up we would have a whole different set of MMO's out right now. Just a guess.

• ColaCola Member Posts: 402

Pre CU SWG

I would tell you why but Im guessing  500 or so other people will do it for me.

• keltic74keltic74 Member UncommonPosts: 30

Of course I would say SWG like many others.  I had so much invested and enjoyed the fact that I could walk outside my house on Tattooine and COMPLETELY change my characters abilities and skill set with a bit of work.  I always had something to do with the classes, and LIVING in the game.  I loved going out sampling for super stat resources and setting up my moisture vaporators and mining equipment and just carving out a nice little existence on a backwater hick planet on the outskirts of a galaxy far far away.  I even enjoyed the COUNTLESS hours i had invested in my Jedi when having said Jedi meant some serious glory.  Then again, my Bounty hunter loved killing those Jedi all the same.

Past that I would say Tabula Rasa.  I got to play a bit and although it was rushed to market, I saw the extreme potential in the game and was willing to wait until it was added.  It had some really great ideas that were squandered due in no small part to complete and utter mis-management.  I will always wonder in the back of my mind "What if?"  Atleast I was able to give Mr. Garriott a bit of my hard earned cash so he could go to space in my place because going into orbit would totally suck for regular schmucks like me.