Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account Hacked No Support Im Done

Comments

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by upallnight

Originally posted by severius

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Li-Su

Originally posted by CulannHS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately the security of your account within the confines of your PC is your duty, not the game companies out there.  They've long since realized the things I've pointed out here, especially with regards to virus scanners, malware checkers, etc.  No program is going to find everything that can potentially compromise your account, and they realize that.  All they can hope to do is set a policy in place, and urge their customers to be safe and use safe computing habits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any respectable IT professional with any shred of IT security knowledge knows that it is equally the responsibility of the user, and those who configure and maintain the system.

Poor system security design, whether it be unintuative, require unnecessary 'extra steps' for the user to ensure security, or just plain flawed with security gaps, it is still in part the responsibility of the administrators, even if the users are not doing all they can.

Blizzard is guilty of this. Particularly in part due to their forced shift of requiring users to use their emails as usernames, rather than a unique and privately known username.

You could argue that it's the user's fault for not making a 'separate email exclusively for their Battle.net account', but that's just a cop out. In this case it's unreasonable to expect users to have to shift their regular behavior, and go out of their way to stay secured. Why? Because things were fine the way they were before. The change was made at Blizzard's whim, for whatever reason, and the direct decision has created an additional gap in security, which users are expected to address. This is poor IT security management, plain and simple

While there is no solid theory to suggest that using email accounts as log in makes a game account vulnerable, I do have my personal hesitation when bnet conversion was announced.  Tell you what. Guildwars also use email accounts as log in names.  This method of login identification is not new.

As a gamer, if you care about your account and are reasonable alert, you should know the risks when converting to bnet.  Making a separate email account, protecting it from day to day exposure and so on are reasonable acts of safety precaution.  If you do not lock you car properly and park it in dangerous zones, you are raising the odds that you will come back to find your car missing.

WoW fan sites are being hacked, their member information (including email addresses and passwords) are stolen. If the passwords are hashed or encrypted, the hackers try to crack it. The hackers then take this information and try to login to the WoW account, failing that they try to breach the user's email using the same information to get another shot at compromising the WoW account. This method does work against those unfortunate enough to use the same email and/or password as their WoW account as they do with WoW related sites, and was less viable prior to the B.net conversion... hence the spike in hackings since the B.net conversion.

I've been following this happening. WoW related fan or guild sites get breached, and then a wave of users have their accounts breached shortly thereafter. Sure it's easy to blame the users for using the same email, and/or password, but this simply wouldn't be happening if the B.net conversion didn't force usernames to be the email.

So people stupid enough to use the same email address and password in registering guild forums are wise enough not to use same username and passwords.  Hmm funny logic.

I agree, using email address makes me uncomfortable, not because of your reasoning.  I am uncomfortable b/c my login name is at the wimp of a third party, say gmail yahoo or whatever (obviously I am not using those, that is why I quote them here).  I can hide my username for a game by neverr using it outsie a game, but an email account, it is slightly possible that the privacy is compromised from events outside my control.  Frankly I am pretty sure blizz spend more effort protecting the login name password to wow,. than yahoo spend in protecting the email address (not password) list.

Some of them do use the same usernames and/or passwords, and they have been hacked in the past. However, it's more common knowledge (even for those who seem to lack it) that your username and password should be unique and not reused. It's actually promoted usually, and stated when creating an account. Keep in mind as well, picking a unique username is a lot more simplistic and straightforward than setting up a new email via a third party every time you want to create a new account for something that uses email as the login name.

My biggest gripe about the change to the username is that it was wholey unneccesary. There's no reason why Blizzard couldn't have just let us pick a new username for our B.net account. It was an arbitrary decision that simply added a security gap, when the previous method was working perfectly fine.

It is only a security gap if you failed to make a special email address for battle.net lol.  Not like Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, or any of the dozens of other free email providers available put a limit on the ones you can have, hell even comcast gives you a dozen or so free email accounts lol.  And if someone is dumb enough to use the same password across games and across forums and email accounts etc, well, all I can say is I hope they don't breed.... we have enough stupid people in the world already. :)

None of those apply to me.

So what's your next accusation? 

And again, have you gone and looked at the WoW forums to see how big a problem this is.  Do you think it could possibly, just possibly, be a Blizzard problem?

Yes, some people just as smart as you got hacked.  Oh, no's!

I've seen the forums, and I get spam emails every day saying that my account has been hacked or has supposedly been accessed from some unauthorized place.  If you do not know how to use a computer, if you do not know how to check the legitimacy of links in said emails before you click on them and go to fraudulent sites and start giving away your account info then, like I said, its no one's fault but your own.  Ignorance is never and acceptable excuse and, in closing, if they were as smart as me.... well, then they wouldn't have gotten hacked now would they lol.

Its really quite simple:

1. You went to a powerleveling service and gave away your information

2. you didn't check the links in a fraudulent email and gave your information to someone

3. you do not know how to keep your computer clean from malicious content either through lack of knowledge or laziness

4. you went to some odd offball site, downloaded an addon that was an executable file, probably a bot to play the game for you and gave your information away that way.

5. you used something silly like password for your password.

with half a minute's worth of work and the most basic levels of common sense your account won't get hacked.  Hell, if you have an iphone they will even give you a free authenticator.  Whether you, personally, did any of the above or not only you will know regardless of the claims you make here to protect your ego.  The fact of the matter is it is not easy to hack someone's account without their assistance.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

Full View

Battle.Net - Account Warning

Add to Contacts

To:

deleted lol, not like im givin it away here rofl

Dear Customer,

This is an automated notification regarding your recent change(s).

As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.

If you don't wish to get your account suspended, you should immediately verify your account ownership. If the information is deemed accurate, the investigation will be dropped.

This is easiest way to confirm your personal information along with concealed information about your account. We recommend you login to verify information of your account:

If you ignore this mail, your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Regards, 

Account Administration Team

P.O. Box 18979, Irvine, CA 92623

Blizzard Entertainmen INC.

Now, the https: address above... is not the actual link that the words lead to.  Here is something free for you too lazy to LEARN HOW TO USE THE DAMN TOOL THAT IS SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU:

IF YOU HOVER OVER THE LINK IN THE EMAIL THEN YOU WILL SEE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ADDRESS

This one leads to us.batlle-security.com

NO individual with an iq in the positive range can for one minute say that this is a blizzard address roflmao.  You people really crack me up, its always someone else's fault rather than your own.

[Mod edit]

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Full View

Add to Contacts

To:

Dear Customer,

As you may or may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.

If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled. It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.

If you don't wish to get your account suspended, you should immediately verify your account ownership. If the information is deemed accurate, the investigation will be dropped.

This is easiest way to confirm your personal information along with concealed information about your account. We recommend you login to verify information of your account:

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation. Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, and your continued interest in World of Warcraft.

Regards, 

Now, the https: address above... is not the actual link that the words lead to.  Here is something free for you too lazy to LEARN HOW TO USE THE DAMN TOOL THAT IS SITTING IN FRONT OF YOU:

IF YOU HOVER OVER THE LINK IN THE EMAIL THEN YOU WILL SEE A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ADDRESS

NO individual with an iq in the positive range can for one minute say that this is a blizzard address roflmao.  You people really crack me up, its always someone else's fault rather than your own.

Wait! Just because I use the Interwebz, I should have some responsibility for attempting to know what dangers there are in doing so? Or even worse take responsibility for the actions I take while using it? 

"Interwebz Hacked I'm an idiot Im Done"

Wait! Just because I use the Interwebz, I should have some responsibility for attempting to know what dangers there are in doing so? Or even worse take responsibility for the actions I take while using it? 

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154

Originally posted by CulannHS

Ultimately the security of your account within the confines of your PC is your duty, not the game companies out there.  They've long since realized the things I've pointed out here, especially with regards to virus scanners, malware checkers, etc.  No program is going to find everything that can potentially compromise your account, and they realize that.  All they can hope to do is set a policy in place, and urge their customers to be safe and use safe computing habits.

Any respectable IT professional with any shred of IT security knowledge knows that it is equally the responsibility of the user, and those who configure and maintain the system.

Poor system security design, whether it be unintuative, require unnecessary 'extra steps' for the user to ensure security, or just plain flawed with security gaps, it is still in part the responsibility of the administrators, even if the users are not doing all they can.

Blizzard is guilty of this. Particularly in part due to their forced shift of requiring users to use their emails as usernames, rather than a unique and privately known username.

You could argue that it's the user's fault for not making a 'separate email exclusively for their Battle.net account', but that's just a cop out. In this case it's unreasonable to expect users to have to shift their regular behavior, and go out of their way to stay secured. Why? Because things were fine the way they were before. The change was made at Blizzard's whim, for whatever reason, and the direct decision has created an additional gap in security, which users are expected to address. This is poor IT security management, plain and simple

While there is no solid theory to suggest that using email accounts as log in makes a game account vulnerable, I do have my personal hesitation when bnet conversion was announced.  Tell you what. Guildwars also use email accounts as log in names.  This method of login identification is not new.

As a gamer, if you care about your account and are reasonable alert, you should know the risks when converting to bnet.  Making a separate email account, protecting it from day to day exposure and so on are reasonable acts of safety precaution.  If you do not lock you car properly and park it in dangerous zones, you are raising the odds that you will come back to find your car missing.

WoW fan sites are being hacked, their member information (including email addresses and passwords) are stolen. If the passwords are hashed or encrypted, the hackers try to crack it. The hackers then take this information and try to login to the WoW account, failing that they try to breach the user's email using the same information to get another shot at compromising the WoW account. This method does work against those unfortunate enough to use the same email and/or password as their WoW account as they do with WoW related sites, and was less viable prior to the B.net conversion... hence the spike in hackings since the B.net conversion.

I've been following this happening. WoW related fan or guild sites get breached, and then a wave of users have their accounts breached shortly thereafter. Sure it's easy to blame the users for using the same email, and/or password, but this simply wouldn't be happening if the B.net conversion didn't force usernames to be the email.

So people stupid enough to use the same email address and password in registering guild forums are wise enough not to use same username and passwords.  Hmm funny logic.

I agree, using email address makes me uncomfortable, not because of your reasoning.  I am uncomfortable b/c my login name is at the wimp of a third party, say gmail yahoo or whatever (obviously I am not using those, that is why I quote them here).  I can hide my username for a game by neverr using it outsie a game, but an email account, it is slightly possible that the privacy is compromised from events outside my control.  Frankly I am pretty sure blizz spend more effort protecting the login name password to wow,. than yahoo spend in protecting the email address (not password) list.

Some of them do use the same usernames and/or passwords, and they have been hacked in the past. However, it's more common knowledge (even for those who seem to lack it) that your username and password should be unique and not reused. It's actually promoted usually, and stated when creating an account. Keep in mind as well, picking a unique username is a lot more simplistic and straightforward than setting up a new email via a third party every time you want to create a new account for something that uses email as the login name.

My biggest gripe about the change to the username is that it was wholey unneccesary. There's no reason why Blizzard couldn't have just let us pick a new username for our B.net account. It was an arbitrary decision that simply added a security gap, when the previous method was working perfectly fine.

It is only a security gap if you failed to make a special email address for battle.net lol.  Not like Hotmail, Gmail, yahoo, or any of the dozens of other free email providers available put a limit on the ones you can have, hell even comcast gives you a dozen or so free email accounts lol.  And if someone is dumb enough to use the same password across games and across forums and email accounts etc, well, all I can say is I hope they don't breed.... we have enough stupid people in the world already. :)

None of those apply to me.

So what's your next accusation? 

And again, have you gone and looked at the WoW forums to see how big a problem this is.  Do you think it could possibly, just possibly, be a Blizzard problem?

I've seen the forums, and I get spam emails every day saying that my account has been hacked or has supposedly been accessed from some unauthorized place.  If you do not know how to use a computer, if you do not know how to check the legitimacy of links in said emails before you click on them and go to fraudulent sites and start giving away your account info then, like I said, its no one's fault but your own.  Ignorance is never and acceptable excuse and, in closing, if they were as smart as me.... well, then they wouldn't have gotten hacked now would they lol.

Its really quite simple:

1. You went to a powerleveling service and gave away your information

2. you didn't check the links in a fraudulent email and gave your information to someone

3. you do not know how to keep your computer clean from malicious content either through lack of knowledge or laziness

4. you went to some odd offball site, downloaded an addon that was an executable file, probably a bot to play the game for you and gave your information away that way.

5. you used something silly like password for your password.

with half a minute's worth of work and the most basic levels of common sense your account won't get hacked.  Hell, if you have an iphone they will even give you a free authenticator.  Whether you, personally, did any of the above or not only you will know regardless of the claims you make here to protect your ego.  The fact of the matter is it is not easy to hack someone's account without their assistance.

Again, not the problem here.

So apparently, you're either just trying to piss people off or you're not smart enough to figure out what's going on either. 

And besides all that, let's say I were as big a doofus as you're trying to make us all out to be, don't you think Blizzard should have tested their security measures.  Either that or given us one of your computer IQ tests.  image

--------------------------------------
    image image

Full View

Add to Contacts

To:

Dear Customer,

Regards, 

[Mod edit]

Negative.

From the time I closed my account to the time I tried to reopen it I received nothing from anyone about my account.  Nothing at all. 

image image

So apparently, you're either just trying to piss people off or you're not smart enough to figure out what's going on either. 

And besides all that, let's say I were as big a doofus as you're trying to make us all out to be, don't you think Blizzard should have tested their security measures.  Either that or given us one of your computer IQ tests.  image

I can care less if I "piss people off".  It surely isn't my intention, but the truth usually does hurt.  You should be happy it is only your little wow account that got hacked and that they havent just outright stolen your identity (which is what would have happened had Blizzards servers been hacked).  I am not your mommy and will not hug you and pet you and tell you that it is the evil man in the sky that has caused your account to be hacked.  I will tell you that these emails (like the one I posted above) come fast and furious, no less than 2 a day, every single day, even when my account was cancelled, and that those slow of wit or just lacking in rudimentary computer literacy can fall victim to such phishing attempts.  Blizzard has done everything they can apart from holding your hand and saying now now thats not a good password you might want to rethink it.  Whether or not you take their advice, whether or not you choose to educate yourself are, again, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.  As I said, whether or not you admit to doing one of those things listed does not invalidate the accuracy of the statement.  The only ones who know the truth are God, you and the people with your account info.  I do know that there is not some malicious little goblin sitting under your bed watching and transmitting all your passwords to some nefarious all powerful supervillain.  Hell, I would be more prone to believing that fantasy than to believe that you, or others, did nothing at all to cause your accounts to be hacked. 

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

It is possible that it is a problem on blizzards end, but anything is possible. 

A bunch of people on some forums barking that they can't explain how they got hacked isn't very a very compelling argument that something is afoot at the circle K.  It just means that there are a lot of people who don't know what happened. 

Strangely enough, these very same arguments were made before the battle.net merger and people insisted it couldn't possibly be something wrong on their end and must be blizzard. 

Same old same old I guess

I can care less if I "piss people off".  It surely isn't my intention, but the truth usually does hurt.  You should be happy it is only your little wow account that got hacked and that they havent just outright stolen your identity (which is what would have happened had Blizzards servers been hacked).  I am not your mommy and will not hug you and pet you and tell you that it is the evil man in the sky that has caused your account to be hacked.  I will tell you that these emails (like the one I posted above) come fast and furious, no less than 2 a day, every single day, even when my account was cancelled, and that those slow of wit or just lacking in rudimentary computer literacy can fall victim to such phishing attempts.  Blizzard has done everything they can apart from holding your hand and saying now now thats not a good password you might want to rethink it.  Whether or not you take their advice, whether or not you choose to educate yourself are, again, YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.  As I said, whether or not you admit to doing one of those things listed does not invalidate the accuracy of the statement.  The only ones who know the truth are God, you and the people with your account info.  I do know that there is not some malicious little goblin sitting under your bed watching and transmitting all your passwords to some nefarious all powerful supervillain.  Hell, I would be more prone to believing that fantasy than to believe that you, or others, did nothing at all to cause your accounts to be hacked. 

Yeah, the truth would hurt if were the truth.

Just remember that when the day comes that you get hacked.  Because I've seen happen to the most careful and knowlegable of folks.  It's usually the cocky that learn the most hard lessons in life.  Mostly because they sting the most when the lesson comes.

image image

Originally posted by Daffid011

A bunch of people on some forums barking that they can't explain how they got hacked isn't very a very compelling argument that something is afoot at the circle K.  It just means that there are a lot of people who don't know what happened. 

Strangely enough, these very same arguments were made before the battle.net merger and people insisted it couldn't possibly be something wrong on their end and must be blizzard. 

I hear what you're saying.  But even if...  there is a problem when one company is having that many problems at one time.  A litlte hit from a fire here and there and it's something that can be handled as user error.  But something is afoot at the Circle K.  And it's not most excellent.

image image

• Originally posted by upallnight

I hear what you're saying.  But even if...  there is a problem when one company is having that many problems at one time.  A litlte hit from a fire here and there and it's something that can be handled as user error.  But something is afoot at the Circle K.  And it's not most excellent.

There are 12million active accounts meaning active.  There are a guestimate of 20+ million inactive accounts.  Now we see a hundred or what number complaining.  You tell me, is that a lot?

in terms of statistics, you might have a higher chance of getting kill by an asteroid, than getting hacked, kidding.

Frankly, if we have 1% hacked, we expect 120 thousand players alerted and screaming, as they are "active" users, and god knows how many inactive account holders found out they got hacked.  Tell me if you see 120thousand complains, which means only 1%.

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Lol buying an authenticator does not make your account unhackable, over 500 players with authenticators have been hacked by the man in the middle attack.
    Also these programs are hidden by rootkits there is no anti-virus out there that can detect it i have clean many computers for customers that had their wow accounts stolen and they had authenticator, there is a new boot block root kit i have been seeing that is designed to steal wow accounts even if you have an authenticator.
    You can get hacked bu going to facebook,viewing video on youtube or going to ANY website that has advertising on it.
    I am a comptuer tech with 25 yrs and an expert on security no matter how safe you are you can get hacked unless you know how to protect yourself.

• valkerusvalkerus Member UncommonPosts: 62

I have this problem currently, after 7 monthes of being away from the game i wanted to resub to play again. I got my notice i was locked, banned or hacked. I am now on my 7th day with the issue.  I have called blizzard account support roughly 3 times a day for 7 days at randomn times and every time i get "sorry the queu is full try back later". 

This is either a much bigger issue than 100,000 accounts out of their 20 mill active and inactive, or they are preffering to handle the issue by email only and removing the phone capabillity.   Either way i think that show this is a much larger issue than some people think. 

In my opinion Blizzard is handling it fairly well, keeping it out of major gaming headlines and although i am on my 7th day of trying to get it resolved I am getting feedback and further steps, so it is not as if my request is being ignored.   Though my 2 cents is they may want to call in the service support reserves in bangalore because most gamers don't have the patience to wait more than one hour for a fix.

Perhaps this looks like one big massive new problem now, because you are taking notice of it due to your account getting hacked.  When you got hacked and went to the forums I'm sure it looked like some relevation of what was going on and perhaps looked like it didn't exist before. 

However this isn't some problem that only had hits here and there as you describe it.  It has always been a major problem for blizzard.  Why do you think blizzard made the authenticator over two years ago?  Hacked accounts have been a problem that are getting worse and worse over the years and hackers are only getting more sophisticated in their methods. 

It isn't a problem that is unique to blizzard either.  Here is a link to a thread in the Aion forums with the same speculation that is going on here.  Just look at the similarities there.

Post 1 "i have a safe system, i am computer savy, i know whats out there and how to get it as most of you do"

Post 3 "My guess is they have access to NCsoft servers and NCsoft seems powerless to stop it."

Post 4 "if anyone can tell me how this happens i would love to know so i can fix it on my end, but i know its not my end. so your guess is as good as mine" (from the original poster no less)

Post 6 "It might be a rouge NCsoft employee"

Same users who think they are impervious to threats on the internet looking for someone else to blame.  Nothing really new.

• LamoraLamora Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Originally posted by bugse82

I was hacked several times already. I'm done totaly.

They just want to force you to buy the  authenticator.

Getting hacked is your own fault. Blizzard merely offers an extra layer of security for a whopping 55 cents (mobile phone authenticator app).

Might wanna start caring about your internet security, paid or non-paid. Whatever gets the job done.

Maybe they ought to fine these hackers.After all it would be good for the police force, bring in more revenues..But the OP has a point..I was hacked and i never played WOW in three years..They sent me a email mail saying my account was closed..I wrote back and said who was paying for my account since i have not played in three years? Due to there embarrassing moment they unlocked my account..Maybe this company ought to be investigated..It seems where there a WOW Forum there is a Awful lot of complaints about players account...

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

I will go ahead and spit out my last encounter with WoW just to show you guy's something is going on with Blizard. About a year ago I decided to play again, seeing as I had some free time and wanted to say hello to a few players that still play. When I logged into my account, it was saying that my account got hacked. At this time my account had not been merged with my battle.net account so I contacted Blizzard and got everything sorted out and linked and I was off playing. About 6 months ago I quit playing again because work picked up alot. Remember, I said 6 months ago.

About 2 weeks ago I decided to look at the armory and couldn't find anyone of my characters listed. So I decided to log into the account to see whats up, and low and behold hacked again. At first im like ok, buying one of those authenicator thingies. So i contacted Blizzard and was told that my account had been hacked on June 26th and shows several gold transactions during that time. At first I'm like ok that was not me. Then I thought to myself, how the hell did they play on an account that had no subscription and both trials used up? So here we are, at present day. My account is still under investigation and they have yet to answer this single question to me. I even called them to ask how anyone could play an account that was pretty much locked from being played without a subscription. The guy on the phone had no clue and said it was impossible. So there you have it.

Now tell me this, do you think Blizzard is somehow blocking accounts on purpose and stating they have been hacked just to make you buy one of those things? It all sounds odd to me, but I doubt I will ever get an answer to that question.

• MorphiniumMorphinium Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Morphinium

I just played through the 14 day trial and now I receive tons of phishing scams spam in the e-mail I registered with WoW.

I have no doubt it is an inside scam. So it is only natural you get no decent support for your problem.

We can only hope you get your problem solved. Best of luck to you.

You have no doubt meaning you cannot figure out something else, and that makes whatever only idea left in your mind the absolute truth.

To you yes that is the absolute truth, b/c you can work out nothing else.

That is the way of your logic, b/c you cannot think of anything else, nothing else exist.

Of course I can be wrong, After all these years I never got one single phishing scam mail for wow. I the day after I signed up for the 14 day trial I get at least one per day (that I forward to blizzard to help them solve the problem).

Of course I subscribe tons of ML everyday NOT, and any one of them could be the source.

Of course my small mind cannot conceive any other idea than some person inside blizzard has sold the ML. Who would believe that??!?! Just IMPOSSIBLE.

Its just a big coincidence!

LOL

So to me that is the truth and you do not exist. rof

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I'd be surprised if anyone who doesn't have an authenticator hasn't been hacked yet.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by mackdawg19
    I will go ahead and spit out my last encounter with WoW just to show you guy's something is going on with Blizard. About a year ago I decided to play again, seeing as I had some free time and wanted to say hello to a few players that still play. When I logged into my account, it was saying that my account got hacked. At this time my account had not been merged with my battle.net account so I contacted Blizzard and got everything sorted out and linked and I was off playing. About 6 months ago I quit playing again because work picked up alot. Remember, I said 6 months ago.
    About 2 weeks ago I decided to look at the armory and couldn't find anyone of my characters listed. So I decided to log into the account to see whats up, and low and behold hacked again. At first im like ok, buying one of those authenicator thingies. So i contacted Blizzard and was told that my account had been hacked on June 26th and shows several gold transactions during that time. At first I'm like ok that was not me. Then I thought to myself, how the hell did they play on an account that had no subscription and both trials used up? So here we are, at present day. My account is still under investigation and they have yet to answer this single question to me. I even called them to ask how anyone could play an account that was pretty much locked from being played without a subscription. The guy on the phone had no clue and said it was impossible. So there you have it.
    Now tell me this, do you think Blizzard is somehow blocking accounts on purpose and stating they have been hacked just to make you buy one of those things? It all sounds odd to me, but I doubt I will ever get an answer to that question.

I had this happen to a friend i am on my lvl 80 paladin i see him login but wait he told me a few months back he was taking a 3 month break in the summer, so i send his toon a tell, no replies, i then phone him up and said someone was on his account, he said that is not possible there is no subscription, he then tries to log in says there is no subscription, then his toon logs off and my fiend re-activates his 3 month dormant account and finds his stuff missing, characters all deleted.

How can this happen his account had no sub both trials used up either this is an inside job or hackers found a way to hijack accounts with no subs?.

Originally posted by Astro6

I had this happen to a friend i am on my lvl 80 paladin i see him login but wait he told me a few months back he was taking a 3 month break in the summer, so i send his toon a tell, no replies, i then phone him up and said someone was on his account, he said that is not possible there is no subscription, he then tries to log in says there is no subscription, then his toon logs off and my fiend re-activates his 3 month dormant account and finds his stuff missing, characters all deleted.

How can this happen his account had no sub both trials used up either this is an inside job or hackers found a way to hijack accounts with no subs?.

I don't think there is a limit to the scroll of resurrections an account can use.  They can only be used every 90 days, but the FAQ doesn't list a limited number of returns. 

Either way, if you are getting hacked multiple times then there is most likely something wrong on your end.  

Which do you think blizzard wants more. 

1. $14.95 for a subscription fee X many months  -OR-

2. $0, $1, $2 or $6 for an authenticator  (Most people can get the program free or for a buck on their phone)

Just look how many people in this thread have found their accounts hacked and that has caused them to walk away from wow as a result.  It is not good business to intentionally turn away customers willing to pay premium fees for your product, especially if the alternative is to get much less money or lose the customer all together.  The same applies to returning trials, why turn former players away if they might subscribe?

I don't think there is a limit to the scroll of resurrections an account can use.  They can only be used every 90 days, but the FAQ doesn't list a limited number of returns. 

Either way, if you are getting hacked multiple times then there is most likely something wrong on your end.  

Which do you think blizzard wants more. 

1. $14.95 for a subscription fee X many months  -OR-

2. $0, $1, $2 or $6 for an authenticator  (Most people can get the program free or for a buck on their phone)

Just look how many people in this thread have found their accounts hacked and that has caused them to walk away from wow as a result.  It is not good business to intentionally turn away customers willing to pay premium fees for your product, especially if the alternative is to get much less money or lose the customer all together.  The same applies to returning trials, why turn former players away if they might subscribe?

He had an authenticator it would not work on his account, he does not use addons,his system is only used for playing WoW he has another system just for downloading and web surfing.

He brought his system into my shop i scanned it with everything but the kitchen sink ,i had his drive slaved into my shop bench machine he had no keyloggers,rootkits,ircbots,backdoors,virus or trojan the only way this could have happened was either blizzard got hacked or its an inside job.

I have been cleaning pc's since they started catching viruses , i have been a computer tech for over 25 yrs and have had my own shop since then.

He only got hacked once when all this conversion crap to battlenet happened.

My guess battlenet is not suecure hackers have found a way to use non-subbed toons.

He had an authenticator it would not work on his account, he does not use addons,his system is only used for playing WoW he has another system just for downloading and web surfing.

He brought his system into my shop i scanned it with everything but the kitchen sink ,i had his drive slaved into my shop bench machine he had no keyloggers,rootkits,ircbots,backdoors,virus or trojan the only way this could have happened was either blizzard got hacked or its an inside job.

I have been cleaning pc's since they started catching viruses , i have been a computer tech for over 25 yrs and have had my own shop since then.

He only got hacked once when all this conversion crap to battlenet happened.

My guess battlenet is not suecure hackers have found a way to use non-subbed toons.

How can he have an authenticator, but it doesn't work with his account? 

Maybe someone got his email account and used that to reset his password.  Maybe they had his email account for a long time just waiting for him to make the change over.  Maybe he used that email address to register at a website somewhere.  Maybe he did get keylogged and the trojan removed itself onces its work was done.  Maybe he answered a phishing email and did not realize it.  Maybe he bought gold or power leveling from a hacker site.  Who really knows. The point is that there are plenty of ways to get hacked.

Just because you can't find a virus on his computer months later is not a smoking gun that it must be blizzard.  Someone can do something extremely dumb with their account information without logging in and without being on the computer they play on.  Many times people are just afraid to admit what they did or just don't understand what they might have done. 

• just1opinion2just1opinion2 Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by valkerus

I have this problem currently, after 7 monthes of being away from the game i wanted to resub to play again. I got my notice i was locked, banned or hacked. I am now on my 7th day with the issue.  I have called blizzard account support roughly 3 times a day for 7 days at randomn times and every time i get "sorry the queu is full try back later". 

This is either a much bigger issue than 100,000 accounts out of their 20 mill active and inactive, or they are preffering to handle the issue by email only and removing the phone capabillity.   Either way i think that show this is a much larger issue than some people think. 

In my opinion Blizzard is handling it fairly well, keeping it out of major gaming headlines and although i am on my 7th day of trying to get it resolved I am getting feedback and further steps, so it is not as if my request is being ignored.   Though my 2 cents is they may want to call in the service support reserves in bangalore because most gamers don't have the patience to wait more than one hour for a fix.

You sure that "notice" came from Blizzard?  

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

I'd just like to point something out here. If you have your b.net e-mail in use for any type of gaming forum, you WILL get suspicious e-mails from "Blizzard" but THEY ARE NOT ACTUALLY FROM BLIZZARD!

I have one e-mail I use for all the forums I frequent, and sure enough it gets at least one "blizz" e-mail a day. The reason I know they're fake e-mails is because my b.net e-mail is only for b.net. It gets nothing other than e-mails when I change my password or apply a gamecard.

If you're having trouble detecting whether an e-mail is legit, you can right-click on the e-mail if you use yahoo or hotmail, and click on the option which says "view message source" - next, and this is the important step, do not just look at the top lines in the new window. The top lines will say it's from blizzard because the phishers use a proxy to make it look like the e-mail is from blizz. You have to go down several lines and check the originating path down below as well as the true return path. You'd be surprised how many phishers use e-mail accounts with French names, I know it shocked the heck out of me.

Bottom line is if you want an extra layer of protection when it comes to WoW you need to set up a b.net e-mail that is only for b.net.

Have a nice day, and remember Blizz will never ask you to click links to verify your account ;) They already know it's you.

EDIT: When you change a b.net e-mail they WILL ask you to verify, at your NEW e-mail address. Almost forgot about that, sorry.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I was checking a few of my email accounts today and I found a few emails that looked like phishing attempts for sure. One for WoW and Aion even in the same day on one email and a bunch of WoW attempts on another email.   God only knows how people got it, but  I really think either someone hacked Blizzard or someone that "Worked" for them got a bunch of email or something. 

I've never had any other game I've played get hacked or have phishing emails sent to me and I've been playing since 2003.  Maybe its just the more popular games attract the hackers, if so then I'll just  stick with the non popular games. 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'm experienced in matters of using the internet, so I don't fall for phishing mails/videos/addons whatever, and I don't give my PW to other people. Result: I was never hacked, not even once. And I don't need an authenticator either.

And no: Blizzard does not hack their own peoples accounts to make them buy authenticators. WoW simply attracted many people who ain't used to holding their information on the internet secure. They're like a group of kittens running around helpless and falling for each trap. If you get trojans on your computer or send your PW around or whatever, it's you doing stuff wrong, not Blizzard.

I'm no Blizzard fanboy, but I'm tired of people shouting "I got hacked!!! It was blizzard!!!". No, it was not Blizzard. It was your fault. Learn from it.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)