Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make this game Free to Play already!

BigBrolyBigBroly Member Posts: 31

I would definitely play again if it were free to play, but I don't see the point of paying $15 a month anymore for this game. 

Comments

• JoarnajJoarnaj Member Posts: 258

I have a hard time with this game in general now days. Once upon a time it was my favorite. But my main issues are:

1. Everyone standing around a room to get into user-generated content and ignoring the world.

2. A broken economy where you can buy items on auction for 10 and sell them to a vendor for 10000 making what was a somewhat challenging part of the game (influence management) into a complete joke.

3. A rather unbalanced system where a truly great tank is helpful but the rest of them are a waste of space. Half of the defenders are actually controllers that are fun to play, but nobody wants to group with them because they don't heal well, if at all. Controllers are king; slap 4 or 5 of them on your team and everything becomes so easy it's just lame.

4. Supergroup bases suck. I mean, they suck. They had such promise - raids on bases, exclusive missions, etc. Why didn't NCSoft ever flesh them out?

Would I play it again if it were free? Maybe. I have a 44 blaster that I love and would like to get to level cap. Maybe, just maybe, I could actually find players who wanted to enjoy game content and not user content. I also have several other characters I really liked as well. I suppose I could see venturing back for free, but the likelihood is I would just leave in frustration again.

btw... CoH was the game that got me into MMO's. I'll never forget being a complete noob and catching glimpses of heroes streaking across the sky and saying to myself, "I can't wait until I'm level 14!"

Now I just find it to be a colossal disappointment.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went from Apprentice to full 5 star Elite in under 2 months. I was pleasantly surprised again when I went from Elite to just barely Hardcore in 2 weeks. Apprentice, here I come!

• BigBrolyBigBroly Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by Joarnaj

I have a hard time with this game in general now days. Once upon a time it was my favorite. But my main issues are:

1. Everyone standing around a room to get into user-generated content and ignoring the world.

2. A broken economy where you can buy items on auction for 10 and sell them to a vendor for 10000 making what was a somewhat challenging part of the game (influence management) into a complete joke.

3. A rather unbalanced system where a truly great tank is helpful but the rest of them are a waste of space. Half of the defenders are actually controllers that are fun to play, but nobody wants to group with them because they don't heal well, if at all. Controllers are king; slap 4 or 5 of them on your team and everything becomes so easy it's just lame.

4. Supergroup bases suck. I mean, they suck. They had such promise - raids on bases, exclusive missions, etc. Why didn't NCSoft ever flesh them out?

Would I play it again if it were free? Maybe. I have a 44 blaster that I love and would like to get to level cap. Maybe, just maybe, I could actually find players who wanted to enjoy game content and not user content. I also have several other characters I really liked as well. I suppose I could see venturing back for free, but the likelihood is I would just leave in frustration again.

btw... CoH was the game that got me into MMO's. I'll never forget being a complete noob and catching glimpses of heroes streaking across the sky and saying to myself, "I can't wait until I'm level 14!"

Now I just find it to be a colossal disappointment.

I agree with you completely, Joarnaj. Like you, this game got me into MMO's, I loved this game and played it for many more years than I ever did WoW; I always found myself coming back to this game after every other MMO I played. I think your point about the AE system is spot on. I looked at the AE as being innovative in an MMO, yet at the same time I thought it was just a lazy way developers rely on users for content instead of creating new content themselves. For a long time, I was hoping for more great Task Forces like the Statesman and Lord Recluse, which were my favorite ones in the game, but it didn't happen. Granted, I haven't played the game in over a year, so who knows what's been added if anything good as such. I always want to come back to this game, but then I am reminded it's $15 a month, which I will probably only log in just to see who's on and what's new. As often as they update the game with Issues, you'd think the population would be great, but it's kind of the opposite. With each new issue they'd released, I'd notice players would only stay a couple days just to check out the newer stuff then once again the population would dwindle down. I believe they would have more people play if this game were free.

• eburneburn Member Posts: 740

I'm actually rather forgiving for the issues because really as long as you team just about any sort of build can play with the others. I've not really ran across any content where the 10 heroes or villains had to be perfectly matched to get anything done.

I kill other players because they're smarter than AI, sometimes.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

Because of recent events i would not play CoH again.

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

I wont play it even if free because this game is not fun anymore, It used to be the best MMO out there but now its hard to see what it has become. I have 10 lvl 50 characters and have nothing to do in the game anymore, used to be making alts was fun but they havent added in an actual new power set since the villain EAT and they sucked! First overpowered than weak as can be, seems to be a trend in CoH

Mystery Bounty

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

All people do to level now is abuse the user created content. Going into the stages people made with the villains that you can solo and give out TONS of experience. It just kills all of the content, and makes the game a boring mess of nothing to do.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by Panther2103

All people do to level now is abuse the user created content. Going into the stages people made with the villains that you can solo and give out TONS of experience. It just kills all of the content, and makes the game a boring mess of nothing to do.

The game is what you make of it....don't let strangers dictate your fun.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Thats kind of hard when you cant get a team because of other people not wanting to do so, the dev team has nerfed everything so much soloing is slow and not fun, to level faster you have to team and you cant find teams to team with

Mystery Bounty

• BigBrolyBigBroly Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by MysteryB

Thats kind of hard when you cant get a team because of other people not wanting to do so, the dev team has nerfed everything so much soloing is slow and not fun, to level faster you have to team and you cant find teams to team with

This is a reason as to why it should be free. Most everyone who has played the game has already seen all, done all there is to do so you usually see people standing around in Atlas Park using the game as a chat room with avatars or you just don't see people at all anymore because the game is dead. Again, I haven't played in over a year, but still then it was hard to find a team until the weekend which is ridiculous - $15 just to have a good experience on the weekends. I agree with you about soloing - it's very slow and very boring. Everything that was so good about this game was eventually nerfed.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

If this game was F2P I'd be back there in a heartbeat.  However, this does not seem likely to happen any time soon considering they are releasing another expansion extremely soon.

Steam: Neph

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

oooops sorry, wrong game! Hey I was really drunk when I made the post to be fair!:)

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Most people don't use AE anymore.  In the last 2 months I've taken about 15 characters to mid 20's and only been on AE a few times.  They are just too boring and you can get just as much xp from normal missions.

I think bases are awesome.  Definately one of the best housing systems, in terms of decorating/designing on the market.  You can pretty much make your base into anything, you should see some of the designs people have made, truely breathtaking.  I could see how they suck for pvp, but since I'm not into pvp, that doesn't bother me.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Originally posted by BigBroly

I would definitely play again if it were free to play, but I don't see the point of paying $15 a month anymore for this game. 

This game will be F2P (Turbine-type model), it's all but assured. It's just a question of when.

• knyghttearerknyghttearer Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by OSF8759

This game will be F2P (Turbine-type model), it's all but assured. It's just a question of when.

i did the 14 day free trial and quit after 10 days out of repetitive stress boredom

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by spookydom

Unfortunatly Cryptic have not only droped the ball with this one but drop kicked it into the next galaxy as they have done with STO.

NcSoft bought Cryptic out of CoH about 2 years ago.  Cryptic hasn't had anything to do with CoH since right before they began developing CO.

The AE situation has improved since xp from AE missions has been nerfed.

There is a Going Rogue expansion coming soon with some new power sets.  I can't recall seeing anything about new classes.

Before trying a FtP model, I would like to see them reduce the number of servers.  There are several servers with hardly any population.  I know they offered free server transfers a while back.  I would suggest reducing the number of servers to boost their populations and offer server transfer tokens for toons that were on deactivated servers.  A month or two of prior warning to give people a chance to get organized for the switch should help smooth the process (especially for SGs that are dedicated to a soon-to-be-deactivated server).  Another option would be to merge low pop servers.  With increased player numbers, teaming opportunities would be bound to increase.

Originally posted by knyghttearer

Originally posted by OSF8759

i did the 14 day free trial and quit after 10 days out of repetitive stress boredom

That's the #1 reason why people quit. CoH is repetitive even by MMO standards, and GR will not be addressing this, the game's single biggest flaw, but oh well what can you do?

EverQuest II has now gone F2P. Very interesting development. CoH can't be far behind.

• ragon2727ragon2727 Member UncommonPosts: 7

/jranger

Originally posted by Kelvrek

Originally posted by spookydom

Unfortunatly Cryptic have not only droped the ball with this one but drop kicked it into the next galaxy as they have done with STO.

NcSoft bought Cryptic out of CoH about 2 years ago.  Cryptic hasn't had anything to do with CoH since right before they began developing CO.

The AE situation has improved since xp from AE missions has been nerfed.

There is a Going Rogue expansion coming soon with some new power sets.  I can't recall seeing anything about new classes.

Before trying a FtP model, I would like to see them reduce the number of servers.  There are several servers with hardly any population.  I know they offered free server transfers a while back.  I would suggest reducing the number of servers to boost their populations and offer server transfer tokens for toons that were on deactivated servers.  A month or two of prior warning to give people a chance to get organized for the switch should help smooth the process (especially for SGs that are dedicated to a soon-to-be-deactivated server).  Another option would be to merge low pop servers.  With increased player numbers, teaming opportunities would be bound to increase.

Yep, I got really drunk and thought I was writing about Champions online. Have since edited original post......Don't drink and then leave post's on internet forums kid's, it's not big and it's not clever image

• KelvrekKelvrek Member Posts: 86

Lol.  Try eating a really big sandwich.  It might help with the hangover ;)

Originally posted by Kelvrek

Lol.  Try eating a really big sandwich.  It might help with the hangover ;)

Lol. I find eating a big sandwich helps make everything better. ;)

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

I doubt this game will ever be F2P.  There are too many people still subscribed that play regularly for them to do away with the subscription fee.  All the issues and complaints you guys have brought up are very valid but those who continue to play can see past them and keep playing.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

With an active subscriber base I doubt they will go F2P any time soon either.

I stopped playing not because the game was not fun but, the expansions were horizontal and not vertical.  They required you to start over and not continue on with your character to the next level. 

That to me was a deal breaker and something they overlooked.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

I do not dispute the fact that the expansions or "Issues" do not offer much in terms of high level content but they are trying to correct it with Going Rogue expansion offering content at all levels.  I enjoy the game still but have my doubts about it staying around after the release of DC Universe Online if that game really takes off.  CoH survived CO because the game offered less than CoH in terms of content although they are trying to correct that but content is only the start of the problems I have with CO.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

CoX is a great game, total fun and so easy to team and have ablast 'nuff said. Rogue is only going to make it better!

CoX till the lights go out baby!

To the people who say it won't go F2P because some people still play I have one thing to say: Lord of the Rings Online. Already Everquest 2 is joining it in the Turbine F2P model. CoH has some important decisions to make.

This discussion has been closed.