Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOGamer.com's interview with Curt Schilling, 38 Studios

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

http://www.mmogamer.com/07/19/2010/curt-schilling-interview

"Gamers don’t give a shit that I won three World Series. They care if we make a great game or not.

The more they understand my credibility as a gamer, and my beliefs as a visionary for the company, hopefully the more they’ll understand what we’re doing."

Still no news on what the game is other than being fantasy based.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Comments

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

call me cynical, but the odds of Copernicus being a forgettable EQ rehash and Curt being a snake oil salesman are 100 to 1....

I never get enough of people running their mouths and then shooting a bazooka on their foot, and havent heard about Mark Jacobs in a while...ty Curt...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well reading the whole article it sounds sort of obvious that this will be an EQ/Wow clone.Did you notice he began his gaming in my old fave ...ahem Wizardry :D.

Too bad not my cup of tea and i sort of feel i am speaking for most ,when i say we want something different,that design is old now.We hear him talk of raid excitement and moving from Eq>Wow,i think it is rather obvious where his ideas are going.

In saying that,i still liked Curt as a pitcher and a person,he even sounds cool,and i do hope his company great success as we don't see a single person succeed in this industry very often.Most of the time it is the big boys,corporations that make the big games,maybe this will create a new trend.

Too bad journalism and interviews are done so poorly,the whole thing basically gave us nothing,i hope these journalists don't get paid for such a poor selection of questions.A good interviewer would be a gamer who understands what type of questiosn to ask,a family background is not exactly a gaming interview.

He should have asked if Curt offered any ideas to the game,or if the game design is going to give us something different,is it going to be a DX9c game or will it utilize advanced physics,will there be racial traits,factions,a highly detailed crafting system,example building ships ect ect,so many questions that COULD be asked.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bansanbansan Member Posts: 367

Originally posted by Wizardry

He should have asked if Curt offered any ideas to the game,or if the game design is going to give us something different,is it going to be a DX9c game or will it utilize advanced physics,will there be racial traits,factions,a highly detailed crafting system,example building ships ect ect,so many questions that COULD be asked.

If you read at the end, the interviewer said he was not allowed to ask anything about the project Copernicus.  This is clearly a profile interview that was promoting Schilling and his company, and not the game.

• generals3generals3 Member Posts: 3,307

Well what i could conclude from the interview:

A) He seems like a nice guy and hopefully his gaming history will help him make a game not only for money but also for the gamers .  (but this is off course based on the interview , i don't know him at all and whether this is true or not only time will tell).

B) Copernicus will most likely be a Themepark MMO ressembling to WoW . Which is not necessarily bad if they add some revolutionary elements to it .  Existing formula's can be expanded , and if expanded enough it might appear like a totally new formula .

C) i'm even more curious about Copernicus , not excited but just curious .

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.
    Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108

He liked EQ and WoW so the game that he openly admits he has little imput in design, is going to be a WoW clone?

You people astound me!  At least wait for the screenshots to start claiming a game's mechanics are going to be exactly like the game it may (or usually may not) look like. lol.

Omg, did you guys see, Lexus just unveiled their newest line of cars.... It had tires and seats!  Model T clone!!! amirite?!

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Not a bad interview.  I wish they had been able to talk a lot more about Copernicus, but you can't have everything.

It's good to hear about the vision for the game, and how some of the team dynamics are working at 38 Studios.

I'll certainly be interested in hearing more.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• wisesquirrelwisesquirrel Member UncommonPosts: 282

I must admit they have awoken my curiosity.

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012
    Gotta love the vision, passion this studio is showing. It also helps that most of them started with UO, Everquest. Take your time guys and deliver us an oldschool game!

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

He had me until page 2 where he said:

"For an MMO, World of Warcraft at launch. Fantastic game, great execution.

A game that I didn’t like, a bad game… let me think… Tabula Rasa?"

WoW was not fantastic at launch, and although very successful it still leaves a lot to be desired. Tabula Rasa was not that bad. There are a lot worse games than TR. I actually liked it just hated how the NCSoft/Garriott drama killed it.

As long as he remembers his roots, Wizardry, EQ, and UO, and doesn't let his ex-WoW UI designer turn it into another WoW clone it might be worth a look. Good luck to him. We need more games out there made by people that game and aren't only looking at the $$$.

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108

LOL, a UI dev is going to turn an entire game into a WoW clone.   I suppose it's possible... one time a single bad apple turn a whole bunch into WoW clones too.

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.