Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playing since Beta, why I like STO..

Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by david13e

Well, I'd like to know what Mopar likes about the game?  Isn't one of the biggest complaints on these boards that "I hate STO" doesn't offer any information?  Well, the "I love STO" posts without any explanation are exactly the same.  Why do you enjoy STO Mopar?  What groung breaking mechanic does the game have that causes you to give it an "85"? Because it is branded Star Trek? Really if you want to post STO love posts, why not use the official boards?  Do you think I would get the same consideration you seem to want if I posted something negative there?  Post something positive and back it up and it wont be subject to attack. 

Okay David I will take your challenge to heart.. 

I guess the easiest place to start is that this is Star Trek. As a Trekkie for almost 40 years I enjoy all things Star Trek. I have a lot of novels, own ever episode of each series and own all the movies. I have been involved in ST gaming for years with my real highlight being part of Taldren's Inner Circle for the SFC series. So it only makes sense that when STO came out I would be playing. The chance to be in command of an Akira class starship or the Defiant is just way to cool.

I enjoy the graphics of the game and the customizing options they offered. Actually this is a mixed bag as I am a purest and watching some people be silly with uniform and race choices to me is just lame I still find that the fact I can have a character wearing those classic clothes very cool. 

As for the actually game play I really enjoy the more casual play style the STO has over most MMOs. While the instancing system does make the game feel less massive and more solocentric the upside of the system is that I do not feel I am out of it if I have to not play for a few days. Running a business, doing a radio show, hardware and software reviews plus dealing with kids, having time for my wife and by real world friends, I just do not the time to commit to a game that is more play demanding.

I like the mix of ground and space combat. Now arguably the space combat is much better than the ground combat but the change up from time to time is nice and feels more like Star Trek than if it was all ship or all ground.

As for what ground breaking mechanic, there is none. This not a game that is full of innovation and I do not thing anyone has ever said it was. I rated the game an 85 because it is a "GOOD" game in my opinion but not great, if it had reached great it would be rated at 90% or over. In fairness my review score is based on the stuff I have seen coming up on Tribble as well.

At the end of the day the reason I play STO is however that it is FUN! I have a blast playing the game. It has sparked me to write number of short fiction pieces on my fleet forum. My fleet is full of great guys and we are all a bit geeking in that we RP even on Vent. :-) But that to me is part of the fun.

I am well aware of the flaws in the game and do post in official forums and other locations. This game is not perfect but then no game is. But at the end of the day if you have FUN with the game then that is all you are really paying for and I AM having fun.

Comments

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Mopar63

Okay David I will take your challenge to heart.. 

I guess the easiest place to start is that this is Star Trek. As a Trekkie for almost 40 years I enjoy all things Star Trek. I have a lot of novels, own ever episode of each series and own all the movies. I have been involved in ST gaming for years with my real highlight being part of Taldren's Inner Circle for the SFC series. So it only makes sense that when STO came out I would be playing. The chance to be in command of an Akira class starship or the Defiant is just way to cool.

I enjoy the graphics of the game and the customizing options they offered. Actually this is a mixed bag as I am a purest and watching some people be silly with uniform and race choices to me is just lame I still find that the fact I can have a character wearing those classic clothes very cool. 

As for the actually game play I really enjoy the more casual play style the STO has over most MMOs. While the instancing system does make the game feel less massive and more solocentric the upside of the system is that I do not feel I am out of it if I have to not play for a few days. Running a business, doing a radio show, hardware and software reviews plus dealing with kids, having time for my wife and by real world friends, I just do not the time to commit to a game that is more play demanding.

I like the mix of ground and space combat. Now arguably the space combat is much better than the ground combat but the change up from time to time is nice and feels more like Star Trek than if it was all ship or all ground.

As for what ground breaking mechanic, there is none. This not a game that is full of innovation and I do not thing anyone has ever said it was. I rated the game an 85 because it is a "GOOD" game in my opinion but not great, if it had reached great it would be rated at 90% or over. In fairness my review score is based on the stuff I have seen coming up on Tribble as well.

At the end of the day the reason I play STO is however that it is FUN! I have a blast playing the game. It has sparked me to write number of short fiction pieces on my fleet forum. My fleet is full of great guys and we are all a bit geeking in that we RP even on Vent. :-) But that to me is part of the fun.

I am well aware of the flaws in the game and do post in official forums and other locations. This game is not perfect but then no game is. But at the end of the day if you have FUN with the game then that is all you are really paying for and I AM having fun.

Well Mopar thats cool with me!  You like the game and I'm happy for you.  I'm not going to attack you for it.  And I would hope others won't.  The thing is, others might not agree with you that it's enough.  I actually agree with you on the customization options.  Had a blast doing that.  And of course a good fleet makes the games that much better.  And I agree with your statement that if your having fun, thats all that matters.   So you took up the challenge and I salute you for it!  but that still doesn't mean you get a free pass :-)

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

good post  mopar. ive watched all the tv series as well and in fact that was the only reason i bought sto. i understand now why you find the game enjoyable. for me though being a star trek fan was not enought to give this game a pass for its failings (allthough as you say there are some things that are done well). as ive said before, i would never post in the sto forums as to its failings if it wasnt for the underhanded and downright insulting way cryptic employees have treated there customer base. if your a HUGE star trek fan though... this game might just be for you.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Good post Mopar.  I am glad someone is liking the game ;)  I unfortunately could not overlook the issues it has, but then again I am not a HUGE St fan.  But then again when SWtOR coems out I will be able to overlook ALOT ;)  I guess it all depends on what you are into.

• Wooter63Wooter63 Member Posts: 1

Hey all thanks for the comments, thansk for proving me wrong. This is Mopar63 just sayin g good bye. It seems the staff at MMORPG think my finding it funny that saying some opinions like turds stink is worth a warning was to much for them. With this in mind my account was banned after I made the original post in this thread.

Whatever the reasons I am not that worried about it as I had found the forum had turned into a battleground more than a place of useful discussion and sadly I found myself more and more pulled into that fight.

With that in kind no matter if you agree or disagree with me I hope you find fun in the games you play, that is in the end all that makes a great game..

As for the staff of MMORPG I hope you get the success you have earned.. BTW my thoughts are on the ban are this is a perfect example of an opinion that stinks like a turd. 

Have fun all.. Mopar63 out..

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

wow, first attacko now mopar.... why do all the cdf keep getting banned???

maybe its because they actually have nothing positive to say about the game, and instead try to change any discussion by resorting to nonsense such as accusing everyone else of being haters.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Good post Mopar I can see that too, if you don't have too much time or play too much then STO could actually not be a bad game or at the very least can last quite a bit longer before burnout sets in. Having a fleet that's passionate about the ip I'm sure can be another plus.  For me I don't have anything against any posters opinion, I've stated in the past and will say again in my own view some games are better left to die and for me STO makes the list but I couldn't see myself bothered by someone getting to enjoy something I do as well so to that I encourage any Trekkies or gamers out there enjoying the game to continue to do so.  I think in six months time or so when they have added a lot more to the game I may go for a welcome back weekend to see what they've done because one thing I can give them is they have added a few touches that interested me.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by raistalin69

wow, first attacko now mopar.... why do all the cdf keep getting banned???

maybe its because they actually have nothing positive to say about the game, and instead try to change any discussion by resorting to nonsense such as accusing everyone else of being haters.

Makes me feel like I have no life but I know the post he's talking about because I got a big old "W" on that one too, but it won't help no matter what to respond to them questioning a valid warning.  Ironically that particular comment was the one that got the whole ball rolling but I don't hold grudges and rarely remember the name of anyone I may have a disagreement on mmorpg with.  We are all gamers and passionate about what we like and what we believe as well so for me it's no big deal.

I still though stand by my statement that if "you can't take the heat then get out of the kitchen" some games are going to have largely negative posts made about them and rarely are they directed to the community so we all should make sure to give each other space to post what we feel good or bad, I've said a million times I don't even read positive posts about games I don't like why even tempt myself into trolling?

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I think if you pulled the star trek skins off this game you would rate it a lot lower.  I feel your love of the IP is what keeps you playing the game.  I think you have a good imagination and you are able to become more immersed in this game because you love the IP so much.  I can sometimes jump in and have fun for a few hours after I catch an episode of ST on the TV.  I dont think your rating of 85 is fair considering the state this game launched in, the PR nightmares that Cryptic has created and the complete lack of content in crafting and the Klingon faction.  I think reviews should cover the launch of the game and re-reviews should have a standard time frame, lets say one year, to come back and give the game a chance to redeem itself.  There should be a penalty for releasing a game that lacks content but there should also be redemption if you can fix it in the first year, I think AoC is a good example of this. 

Hate to see you leave the forums but I am also glad you found a game you like and enjoy.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD