Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO NOT Considering a F2P Model

Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

In the interview I did with Daniel Stahl this week I asked about this comment. We had a laugh as he explained to me that this was one of his lessons in learning how to watch what you say when given the lead stop. He explained that the Turbine model was interesting to him and he was anxious to see how it plays out for them. He went on to explain that the issue with thei model seems to be games that have big budgets because they have so much to recoup. However lower budget games could easily move to this model.

He explained that his comment was meant to mean that if this model proved to be truly effective with a larger game such as LOTRO then other games would be looking at this option. STO could fit in this option if needed but he saw no plans to do so anytime soon.

I love how MMOs are like politics, catch someone saying something and the  run with it as wild speculation.

BTW the 2 part interview I did with Danile will be available for download on the Computer Ed Blog this Sunday afternoon. In the second part we present some tough questions including why items move to the C Store so quick, why do people feel lied to by the developers and where subscription numbers stand right now.

Comments

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Mopar63

BTW the 2 part interview I did with Danile will be available for download on the Computer Ed Blog this Sunday afternoon. In the second part we present some tough questions including why items move to the C Store so quick, why do people feel lied to by the developers and where subscription numbers stand right now.

Sounds interesting.  I will look forward to it.  But you better put your shiled up to maximum.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Funny thing, it was pretty clear for anybody who read the comment in its context. 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

A lot of MMO gamers are just flat out ridiculous - they act more like lobbyists and jilted lovers than gamers.  Some people play the games, others play the forums as though they were games.

In any event, I enjoyed the first half of the interview, and am looking forward to the second half.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• dirtyklingondirtyklingon Member Posts: 158

the disambiguation you posted does not really clarify his position to be what you seem to claim it means in the thread title.

dstahl is a hilarious guy. he once posted on the official forums that devs were going to be posting less due to all the negative feedback they were getting.

KERPLAH!

• gair22gair22 Member UncommonPosts: 15

They already reduced their dev team and it hasn't even been what.. 6 months..     a F2P model right now for them should be a no brainer.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

In the interview I did with Daniel Stahl this week I asked about this comment. We had a laugh as he explained to me that this was one of his lessons in learning how to watch what you say when given the lead stop. He explained that the Turbine model was interesting to him and he was anxious to see how it plays out for them. He went on to explain that the issue with thei model seems to be games that have big budgets because they have so much to recoup. However lower budget games could easily move to this model.

He explained that his comment was meant to mean that if this model proved to be truly effective with a larger game such as LOTRO then other games would be looking at this option. STO could fit in this option if needed but he saw no plans to do so anytime soon.

I love how MMOs are like politics, catch someone saying something and the  run with it as wild speculation.

yeah, after 6 months of pr disasters, watching what he says just occured to him.....right. and i guess with the rest of that statemen that means there looking at it because sto is a low budget game. no shock there.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by gair22

They already reduced their dev team and it hasn't even been what.. 6 months..    

Which BTW is standard practive in the gaming world, that is reducing the dev team size after release..

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by gair22

They already reduced their dev team and it hasn't even been what.. 6 months..    

Which BTW is standard practive in the gaming world, that is reducing the dev team size after release..

on a game thats finished, and hopes to be succesful. where as if your games half finished and you know its never going to gain a decent amount of subs... you cut staff.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

Hey Mr. Gullible, I have some prime ocean front property in Kansas you just need to buy!

This  bunch has lied constantly throughout the dismal history of STO, and you believe this tool now?

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Well STO  IS a low budget game, probably lower budget than even the F2P korean grinders...

They just decided to make it the most expensive MMO for the players.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Wow a notice it truly does amaze me the hate that MMO gamers can generate. It would have been simple for people not enjoying the game to ignore this post or wait for the interview to go live, which it has before ranting but instead they have to begin hate speach out of the gate.

Somedays I truly wonder why I bother coming to this site..

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I'm trying to imagine in my mind wether or not STO going F2P would make me want to play it..

ummm, nope!

But a F2P lotro?...

ummmm, yea sure :D

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The track history of the devs with STO alone is shaky ground.  If you refuse to understand even the very basic reasons WHY people / former customers feel the way they do, then go ahead and keep skipping down that road, whistling, with roses lined up all along the sides.

Edit to add:  The moneygrubbers at Cryptic will not be going to a F2P model anytime soon because they're using a very dirty model of being a "traditional" subscription based game AND using Microtransactions (C-Store).  They're double dipping in both models.

In this aspect alone, I have alot of grief with these twits because, to put it bluntly, this game is half-a**ed.  Yet they quickly throw content into the C-Store for players to BUY and help flesh out the half-baked game.  Like being a regular paying subscriber (or worse, a sucker / lifetime sub) isn't enough?  The model of business screams so much freakin' greed that there's no possible way to hide it.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Warmaker

The track history of the devs with STO alone is shaky ground.  If you refuse to understand even the very basic reasons WHY people / former customers feel the way they do, then go ahead and keep skipping down that road, whistling, with roses lined up all along the sides.

Edit to add:  The moneygrubbers at Cryptic will not be going to a F2P model anytime soon because they're using a very dirty model of being a "traditional" subscription based game AND using Microtransactions (C-Store).  They're double dipping in both models.

In this aspect alone, I have alot of grief with these twits because, to put it bluntly, this game is half-a**ed.  Yet they quickly throw content into the C-Store for players to BUY and help flesh out the half-baked game.  Like being a regular paying subscriber (or worse, a sucker / lifetime sub) isn't enough?  The model of business screams so much freakin' greed that there's no possible way to hide it.

To be honest, they get away with it because people ask for it. If people keep posting I will pay x for y on the c store, of course cryptic is going to put it on there.  The issue is these people are somehow under the impression that money spent on the c store is going back into the development of the game. In reality, it's going right out the window to pay off atari's debts,

Wow a notice it truly does amaze me the hate that MMO gamers can generate. It would have been simple for people not enjoying the game to ignore this post or wait for the interview to go live, which it has before ranting but instead they have to begin hate speach out of the gate.

It amazes me how some people will simply turn a blind eye to a company that has consistently been dishonest, incompetent, overly greedy, and has ripped off tens of thousands of people, just because they think that by posting an interview with a representative of said company, or getting otherwise involved with the game,  they'll get some little degree of efame and/or traffic to their site.

Oh wait, it doesn't amaze me, because thats exactly the type of people and sites these kinds of shady companies look for when deciding who gets attention and who doesn't.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

They already have a cash shop in place, I guess they don't want to let go half the revunue stream with the sub base either. Give them another 3 months and they will do it just out of the need to have subs.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

I was wondering the same thing.  You had to know your OP was going to draw oppostion, and of course outright attacks yet now you've made several posts complaining about the inevitable.  MMORPG forums are for PVP, get used to it.

Back on topic, (which you've failed on in your last 2 posts) the ambigous statements made a  Dev lead in no way guarantee what way the payment model will go.  Fact is, if Turbine proves to be wildly successful with LotRO, you can expect more (and far  less successful games like STO0 go down the same road.

Sure, its all just speculation on the naysayer's part, but then again, that's what forums are really for.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by bstiff

OOH! If I get a life, can I get a computer blog and then berate people for not having a life and being habitual masturbators?

After seeing a pic of this guy, I think it's safe to say that his little tirade there was a classic case of psychological projection. 

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Hagonbok

Originally posted by bstiff

OOH! If I get a life, can I get a computer blog and then berate people for not having a life and being habitual masturbators?

After seeing a pic of this guy, I think it's safe to say that his little tirade there was a classic case of psychological projection. 

Seriously. The "living in mommie's basement" thing is as old as the fucking internet. You think he'd be able to come up with something new.

Old truths are still truths.. Luckily I do not have tow rroy about this as was implied. I am a successful business man  with a loving wife and 4 great kids.

I apologise for coming off so mad ahtter on this but I get really ticked off when people spew hate crap and then act like what they say is fact rather than opinion. They shoot down anyone that enjoys something they do not.

In a previous post someone made a comment that was reflexing a poor opinion of STO but managed tio be an adult about it. Sorry cannot see the post from this edit screen but I agree. If LOTRO is very successful at this then STO might very well follow in short order as will many others.

The OP however was that as of right now this is not in their plans as other threads have insinuated.

• GiosyncGiosync Member Posts: 108

No F2P? Well, I can forget about ever wanting to play this again. It's a fun game, just not worth a subscription.

I'm free on Friday.

I apologise for coming off so mad ahtter on this but I get really ticked off when people spew hate crap and then act like what they say is fact rather than opinion. They shoot down anyone that enjoys something they do not.

You want to play a game of showing facts about Craptic's dishonesty and ineptitude when it comes to STO?

I'd say you're best bet right now is to crawl back under your little rock before you get spanked with more facts than you're clearly able to stomache.

• LamoraLamora Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Giosync

No F2P? Well, I can forget about ever wanting to play this again. It's a fun game, just not worth a subscription.

10 to 1 this game will go free to play..There is nothing different about this game compare to the other mmo's that are out there..

Anyone check the gaming list? A lot of games but only a few are worth playing..This game is no different..Give me a good reason that i should play this game? What is so special about this game compare to the 100's that are all ready on the market? Can this game keep me entertain more than 30 days?Can we solo areas with out having someone holding our hands(Party) to get the job done?  I don't for see this game staying in the Pay to play enviroment.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Why does LOTRO have to be wildly successful to bring others to the F2P model? I keep readhing about how DDO went from a failed game to a million players by going F2P. This should be evidence enough unless game companies know something we dont, like maybe, how every account created is counted be it active or not?  Or how big business does their book keeping? Seems to me every game dev in the world would want to adopt a model where you add a million players so quickly. Granted, as bad as DDO is its not as bad a game as STO but then wouldnt Cryptic be better off with even 25% of what DDO supposedly picked up?

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• david13edavid13e Member Posts: 50

Well, I listened to all 17:06 minutes of this interview.

You did a good job in the first third of the interview asking about the Galaxy X disaster.  However, it was chilling to hear Mr Stahl talk about adding more races and more ships to the C-Store all the while trying to dance around the Galaxy X question.

The second third was fluff.  It doesn't sound to me like your gonna get your Romulan faction anytime soon.  If they aren't going to add another faction until the Klingon faction is finished it may take a while.

The third segement dealt with the F2P comments Mr Stahl made, and I didn't hear him state that STO wasn't considering going F2P.  As a matter of fact I found his answer to be as nebulous as his original statement.

This discussion has been closed.