Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone know of an mmorpg that isn't based on killing?

smilingbobsmilingbob Member Posts: 90

Mercilessly slaughtering your foes is great and all, but it just seems like that's all there is in every mmo (that and collecting random crap and making yourself look cool, but that's kinda stupid to me). Surely the human creative spirit is capable of coming up with some kind of new, exciting, addictive activity, given the endless potential that is available with computer technology, right?

:D

Comments

• cyandkcyandk Member UncommonPosts: 142

Second Life?

lol i have no idea

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

• smilingbobsmilingbob Member Posts: 90

...why laugh at my question though? Is it really that rediculous of an idea to not want to pretend to kill people when I get bored? :P Think about it- how many times have you been playing an mmo and heard someone, low lvl or high, complain for like 15 minutes strait about how bored they are... murder doesn't really cure boredom... at all... and I don't know about all of you guys, but that's why I was first intrigued about videogames, because of the limitless potential. There are pleanty of games out there that are very original, and well put together. But none are mmo. And I prefer mmos, because it makes it more fun.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

I see exactly what you are saying.

That I know of there is of course second life, Cities XL (which is like sim city but not really that much of an mmo even though you can trade and stuff), but not a whole lot of others.

Of course you could play a game like FFXI or Vanguard or Fallen Earth and just craft without having to kill stuff.

I too sometimes wish there was more than just killing based games, but I can still play most MMO's since at least they are fantasy (you are killing evil beings, not exactly realistic or something I would equate with actually representing another person or even an animal in real life)... now a game like modern warfare I can't see the appeal of. 

Well as far as any type of game that just simply mimics real life to a tee... yeah that's pointless to me. I play video games to escape that lol...

Well seeing as how there pretty much isn't any games that aren't combat based that also aren't just simulations or the boring norm...

I'll restate my request: anyone know of a game that is based more on... well whatever... than combat?

Edit: oh and also, I'm about 90% pve, 10% pvp, and I like my pvp to be ffa. I hate settings where it's 2 or more armies against each other, and I especially hate being ganked by 5 guys while im just minding my own business. Seamless world is a must, but not necessarily huge, non-repetiveness is much more important than size.

• IrishoakIrishoak Member Posts: 633

Nope. Combat is pretty much required in most games. A few kids games, made for children (MMO sort) have puzzles and such. Maybe Puzzle Pirates is your dream come true? Not sure what you're looking for really. All the major MMOs contain combat as the mainstay. You could try EvE, become a trader or a miner or industrialist. But, yeah, won't be easy.

• dragonsidragonsi Member UncommonPosts: 74

Well, I myself have played about 30 MMOs this year at least. Ok, maybe I do have a short attention span, even as an adult in my mid 30s, or maybe I just get bored and want to see the next new exciting game out etc. 

Well anyway, I could suggest "Gatheryn", that's quite literally, as far as I played it, a town based on Old London, maybe mid  1880s looking with crossword puzzles, word hunts etc. That's it. Just walk around town and earn money doing these different puzzles. I was confused and only played it 2 hours, I like puzzles, just not my type of game to focus on, weeks at a time. It was in beta 2 months ago when I installed it, last I checked. I uninstalled it after 3-4 days, I knew I wouldn't be playing it again.

I could also suggest Gaia Online, thats a web browser game, no violence, I became bored with it after 2-3 days. And 7 Million. You are a bad guy breaking into bars, clubs, people's trailer homes, and for the alarms, it's a Bejeweled, tetris type puzzle games that get harder and add more colors and blocks as you get higher in levels. Also in beta. I did enjoy that for a few weeks actually. I was in early beta, only a few people on a time, only 1 server also. I haven't played that since maybe August?  How about "Red Light District" game lol, certainly no killing there, but alot of other activites!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

EVE Online got very solid economy you could enjoy - no killing stuff, no collecting, no need to look cool.

Manufacturig, research, invention, trading and bunch of meta-gaming professions.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

FreeRealms, u can cook, play soccer, race.

And this others browse RTMs out there.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by dragonsi

Well, I myself have played about 30 MMOs this year at least. Ok, maybe I do have a short attention span, even as an adult in my mid 30s, or maybe I just get bored and want to see the next new exciting game out etc. 

Well anyway, I could suggest "Gatheryn", that's quite literally, as far as I played it, a town based on Old London, maybe mid  1880s looking with crossword puzzles, word hunts etc. That's it. Just walk around town and earn money doing these different puzzles. I was confused and only played it 2 hours, I like puzzles, just not my type of game to focus on, weeks at a time. It was in beta 2 months ago when I installed it, last I checked. I uninstalled it after 3-4 days, I knew I wouldn't be playing it again.

I could also suggest Gaia Online, thats a web browser game, no violence, I became bored with it after 2-3 days. And 7 Million. You are a bad guy breaking into bars, clubs, people's trailer homes, and for the alarms, it's a Bejeweled, tetris type puzzle games that get harder and add more colors and blocks as you get higher in levels. Also in beta. I did enjoy that for a few weeks actually. I was in early beta, only a few people on a time, only 1 server also. I haven't played that since maybe August?  How about "Red Light District" game lol, certainly no killing there, but alot of other activites!

...well I do like puzzles... but more like the type of puzzles in Zelda games, not word puzzles, or number puzzles, more spatial oriented riddles if you will.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

hello kitty online has alot of puzzles n random crap you can do.. Free Realm isn't really based on killing even though it has it.

Originally posted by ozerinx

hello kitty online has alot of puzzles n random crap you can do.. Free Realm isn't really based on killing even though it has it.

Haha... perhaps I should let y'all know Im a 22 year old male...

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

A Tale in the Desert. I'm trying it out myself. No violence, storylines run by the developer himself (although they do take a while to get going and after 6 years, they're only on the 4th one), 24 hours of free gameplay time, endless amounts of creative spirit set in Ancient Egypt where your main focus is to build, socialize and run politics. It's a pretty neat experiment and I think you should try it too at least. =D

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

A Tale in the Desert may not have combat, but there is plenty of PvP involved.  It's been quite a while since I've played it. The concept is certainly different as far as games go.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

WURM is a game that does have some PvP and PvE but, you can play the game without it.  Very interesting concept  that has one developer and definately an indy game but, you can play it for free up to a point.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663
    Originally posted by dodsfall

A Tale in the Desert may not have combat, but there is plenty of PvP involved.  It's been quite a while since I've played it. The concept is certainly different as far as games go.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying it. =]

• iamspamicusiamspamicus Member UncommonPosts: 114

Hello Kitty Online is the only one I have played that comes closest to "no killing" - You only stun/knock out the enemies for xp, after about 10seconds, they wake up and walk around again.

I don't think they quite qualify as mmorpgs, but games like gunbound, project powder, albatross 18 and those kart games are mmo-ish. You have a persistant character that you level up with equippable gear and play with thousands of other people.

I haven't played it before, but I heard mabinogi had a lot of farm/non combat aspects to it - kind of like harvest moon. - Not sure about that though, you may want to look into that game. Hello Kitty Online has a lot of that harvest moon kind of stuff in it as well.

Would just be easier if they came out with a harvest moon mmo instead of the same game with a couple new abilities every year.

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

GalaXseeds, with "casual mini-games" instead of most bashing (you can still fight though ;) )

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i think what you need is Reality Virtual MMO rather than MMORPG

really, because its hard to find an MMORPG that isn't based on killing

most of em have it

then i have 1 suggestion, Blue Mars, its similar to Second Life, only it's rendered in more advanced graphics (  CryEngine )

it's on CB now, but once it's done, it will be awesome Virtual MMO, very detailed enviroment and very real!

you can play the mini games and all ( so far, only 2 have been introduced: Golf and Hover Racing )

So What Now?

well that sound's kinda interesting but i tried second life and hated it for two reasons- it's basically nothing but really lame cyber cex, and it requires you to do a lot with programming. it's not the fact that i don't wanna learn it, it's that it draws you out of the (if you can call it a game) and im looking for something extremely more immersive...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Try Myst online or "Uru"

http://mystonline.com/en/

The graphics are a bit dated but the environments are nice and it is based on puzzles.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorlukTorluk Member Posts: 162

EDIT: I hadn't noticed the game I was gonna recommend has already been suggested.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

Try crafting and diplomacy in Vanguard. Fun stuff!

You could become an erotic dancer in SWG . .. and they have crafting as well!

: D

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Mr_WolfxMr_Wolfx Member Posts: 176

Give Haven and Hearth a try. The whole game is based on crafting, farming, and hunting. So combat isn't really something you do for fun, its more of a necessity. Though you can play the entire game without fighting a single animal if you really want, you'd just have to be a decent farmer.

Yes I have a dream… And its not some MLK dream for equality. …I wanna own a decommissioned lighthouse …And I wanna live at the top… And nobody knows I live there. …And theres a button that I can press, and launch that lighthouse into space.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

WURM.  Not based on but, does allow it.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.