Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So um...what happened to the Otherland MMO?

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Haven't seen any updates for it since the announcement that it was coming out...and it was targeted for this year! 

Just wondering if anyone heard anything about it.

I'm personally excited at the thought of it. It could be an incredibly diverse project if done right.

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Never heard of otherland, and after some research it does seem quite interesting. I really couldn't find much information and tad williams blog doesn't seem to have been updated since 2008 so i dno, might still be in early development.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

Yeah, I didn't hear about it until news of the MMO but I've been reading through the books, currently on the 3rd one and I've got to say I'm impressed.

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

no news since 2008, I wonder if it's still in development. The developer (gtc or something) was in trouble earlier this year but received some funding, but they're more known for their Drakensang games. Think they were acquired by a free to play game company, I don't know.

• FishbaitzFishbaitz Member Posts: 229

Who knows.  Its probably at some stage in development hell. Have fun reading the books though, I thought they were a great read. Wait until you actually find out what the Otherland's system actually is. And why ol' frumpy Mr. Sellers is so interested.

• cal_boudiccacal_boudicca Member Posts: 1

Dear everyone on this thread, Otherland Game is alive and kicking and launching in 2011.  The German company behind its production is dtp/RealU.  Thank you for your nice comments about the books!  All is well, as far as we know, which is me, Tad's partner/manager, and Tad.  We're both on FB & I'm on Twitter @mrstad, and I will be tweeting more next year in the run up to the launch.  Be well!

Deborah Beale

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by cal_boudicca

Dear everyone on this thread, Otherland Game is alive and kicking and launching in 2011.  The German company behind its production is dtp/RealU.  Thank you for your nice comments about the books!  All is well, as far as we know, which is me, Tad's partner/manager, and Tad.  We're both on FB & I'm on Twitter @mrstad, and I will be tweeting more next year in the run up to the launch.  Be well!

Sweet thats great news, looking forward to beta!

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

I'm on the 4th book right now. It's a very good reading. It's like there's a whole new world every 50 pages.

I wonder how it'll translate into an MMO though.  Will there be different 'worlds' or simulations and the same "meta-character" could be a character in a fantasy simulation and then leave the simulation and play something else? Or will there be no simulations and you just play the metacharacter in the meta-real-life. .. I just have no idea how this game will work lol