Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Want a Guild Name Change?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new premium item has shown up in the Sony Marketplace for Everquest II players. Guilds looking for a new and different name can now purchase a Guild Rename Potion. But at what cost?

According to the announcement page, potions will set the buyer back 5,500 Station Cash or the equivalent of fifty-five real world US dollars.

We are pleased to now offer a Guild Rename Potion, available on the EQII Marketplace, for the price of 5500 Station Cash.

The choosing of a guild name is a very important rite. To help ensure that your new name is considered carefully, we are introducing the potion at the price of 5500 SC. We believe this price is fair for those who do want a name change, but will also serve as a deterrent to those who might want to frivolously rename their guild every time they have a kerfuffle in the lands of Norrath. In addition, we advise foregoing the wine next time, and sticking with blossom tea, or perhaps fayberry fizzlepop for guild meeting refreshments while you pick a new name.

There is a discussion going on at the official EQ 2 forums to help you gauge the reaction. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I now quite a few guild who would love to change their name.  However changing ones name still does not negate what gave them the bad name in the first place.

If you still harbor gold sellers, guild bank theivs, and just the general low rift raft it will still find you even with a new name change.

I wonder how many folks will buy this.

• banshe13banshe13 Member CommonPosts: 200

wow WTF are they retard's 5 to 10$ sure and even thats bad but 55$ just make a new guild and reinvite people and keep the old one up for the people that where not online.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I only read the first page of the official forums posts but what I found particularly scary was that most thought this acceptable and some were actually pleased and excited about it. 

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

Originally posted by banshe13

wow WTF are they retard's 5 to 10$ sure and even thats bad but 55$ just make a new guild and reinvite people and keep the old one up for the people that where not online.

It's not as easy as that. EQ2 has a really robust guild leveling system. If you've had a guild for a couple of years and have leveled it, built guild halls, etc etc etc, just disbanding a re-inviting isn't really an option unless you're willing to trash everyone's efforts to move the guild forward since it's inception.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• StratfordStratford Member CommonPosts: 112

The "service" should be free.  It's just a database entry for Christ's sake.  Look how they've got us all now calling these things "services" which they can monetize, when they used to be (and rightfully so) just basic components of customer service.  Freaking greedy bastards.  I don't like being nickled and dimed, ESP. for a game I'm ALREADY paying a monthly fee to play.

• Player_420Player_420 Member Posts: 686

I am now done with MMO's - prolly wont even log onto this acct I have held for many years here - GW2 looks promising but thats the last bastion of hope for MMO's

I play all ghame

• TheShimmersTheShimmers Member Posts: 76

Wow! This is a great feature for EQ2 but are you kidding at that price? $55!? Even if you were F2P EQ2 your pricing is mind boggling. Worst part is it will sell....and sell well.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by Stratford

The "service" should be free.  It's just a database entry for Christ's sake.  Look how they've got us all now calling these things "services" which they can monetize, when they used to be (and rightfully so) just basic components of customer service.  Freaking greedy bastards.  I don't like being nickled and dimed, ESP. for a game I'm ALREADY paying a monthly fee to play.

Guild name chaning was never permitted before except for very rare special cases. So technically a better option than 'none'

I imagine it does cost a bit partly because if a full guild wants to change their name each person would only need to pitch in like $2, so they can gouge a bit. But it also does prevent a lot of abuse but not all of it.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

That is friggin ridiculous...  SOE is devolving into Cryptic...  Just how much lower can they go?  Wait... don't answer that...

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

I commend them for their effort.

You shouldn't be able to change your name or your guild name... period.

The only reason to do so, as someone already pointed out, is because your guild has a horrible reputation.  I personally have zero sympathy for those people.  Pay the money and stop crying you ******* ba****.

"waa, where are mmos going?"  -  Are you living under a rock?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Dionysus187

Guild name chaning was never permitted before except for very rare special cases. So technically a better option than 'none'

I imagine it does cost a bit partly because if a full guild wants to change their name each person would only need to pitch in like $2, so they can gouge a bit. But it also does prevent a lot of abuse but not all of it.

In AoC you can change it for free but once a week only.

EQ2 should have the same service to it's players, it could live with it if it was once a month too.

It seems like SOE is greedier than FunCom... This is a service that they should be paid enough for by the monthly fees, they could be taking a lot of gold for a change if they want to keep it rare instead.

What will be the next thing they charge us for?

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by ManJunk

I commend them for their effort.

You shouldn't be able to change your name or your guild name... period.

The only reason to do so, as someone already pointed out, is because your guild has a horrible reputation.  I personally have zero sympathy for those people.  Pay the money and stop crying you ******* ba****.

"waa, where are mmos going?"  -  Are you living under a rock?

You can change your guilds name in LotRO for a fee, also. However, they only charge $12.95.

And having a bad rep is not the only reason people change guild names. For instance, guilds break apart or disband and the leaders decide to sell the established guild to another person. That new leader wants to rename his guild to a name he likes. Or perhaps the guild simply has a new direction they are going, and so need a new name to reflect that.

So you can commend them for their obvious greed all you want.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ManJunkManJunk Member Posts: 273

To the above poster....

You are entitled to your opinion, although it is wrong.  The examples you pointed out were a little disgusting as well.  The guild leader sells the guild name?  At what point is that acceptable?  Someone's head is buried deep into somewhere it doesn't belong.

If they want to change direction in their guild.... start a new guild or pay.... or better yet, why don't you go down to the game company, walk into their offices, and start making executive decisions for them.  You obviously have a firmer grasp on the way they should be operating.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

SOE are a little silly. This will just tarnish a great game. Greed is an ugly thing.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

You guys decrying this aren't seeing it in the right light....

The price isn't set out of greed, it's set to be a deterant to guilds changing their names all willy-nilly.

You have to understand something here, in EQ2, guilds are a BIG deal, guilds have their own levels and level up just like every character made, only much slower requiring a lot of hard work. Thusly, guilds in EQ2 are not something that are deleted, or shut down at the drop of a hat, a level 90 guild in EQ2 represents MONTHS, or much more likely YEARS of hard work, that guilds name means something and is not something to shed lightly, that's why you don't see people just disbanding the guild and reinviting.

I actually do think that $55 is a lot of money for an in-game service, but on the flip side, having a fairly high level guild w/ a dumb name could really suck b/c you sure as hell don't want to disband and start over as you'd lose thousands of collective hours of work the guildies put into it. I think the price is meant to be split amongst the guilds officers and such, and that, combined w/ the built-in deterant, actually do give the price some credibility, at least IMHO.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Milk, milk, milk, milk the customers .. way to go SOE!

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

teddyboy420 wrote: "The price isn't set out of greed, it's set to be a deterant to guilds changing their names all willy-nilly."

That is laughable. Do you work for SOE, just curious? How about included in sub fee you pay and has a lock out timer on this option for however long SOE would want? I guess that would be too easy.

Your option is the only way ......

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

I dont like cash shops of any kind and its why I do not play F2P games. Now with that out of the way I will say, I would not buy a guild name change and by not doing so it in itself would not have an effect on my enjoyment of the game. The problem is in the players that will lay out money for this sutff. If enough buy this type of thing it will only encourage SOE to do more of this. That is the problem with cash shops. The more they sell, the more they add.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Originally posted by Stratford

This is really my feeling on all these kinds of "services". Name or server changes are simple pre-written scripts that, once developed for a few man-hours of coding, cost absolutely nothing.

Just the principle that games charge for this really bugs the bejesus outta me.

If Runescape, the technological equivalent of a kid in a dunce cap, is capable of doing this kind of stuff for free, then so should any other game.

• LadredLadred Member Posts: 5

• LadredLadred Member Posts: 5

I'm certainly a fan of this option, and that is what this is for all of you haters, an 'option'. If you don't like it, don't use the 'option'. Its your choice. I'd much rather have the choice available, than no choice at all. Maybe they'll adjust the price in the future, maybe not. At what cost in effort a level 90 fully outfit guild in EQ2 takes, I think this is more than affordable. In most EQ2 guilds this amounts to less than a buck a member. I have a little alt guild that I made and have been solo grinding the guild, don't really like the name anymore and believe I'm going to go change it right now. Thanks SOE for the oppurtunity to do this. =D

• d00fbysanchod00fbysancho Member Posts: 219

Like or it not but think about how muich you spent on a year on a 15 a month game its more than 55 bucks....also people act like every company is not greedy if they are not they wouldn't be there

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

Originally posted by ManJunk

To the above poster....

You are entitled to your opinion, although it is wrong.  The examples you pointed out were a little disgusting as well.  The guild leader sells the guild name?  At what point is that acceptable?  You act like you have never heard of people selling guilds. BTW it is selling guilds, not guild names. Someone's head is buried deep into somewhere it doesn't belong.

If they want to change direction in their guild.... start a new guild or pay.... or better yet, why don't you go down to the game company, walk into their offices, and start making executive decisions for them.  You obviously have a firmer grasp on the way they should be operating.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    *rolls eyes*
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Ladred

I'm certainly a fan of this option, and that is what this is for all of you haters, an 'option'. If you don't like it, don't use the 'option'. Its your choice. I'd much rather have the choice available, than no choice at all. Maybe they'll adjust the price in the future, maybe not. At what cost in effort a level 90 fully outfit guild in EQ2 takes, I think this is more than affordable. In most EQ2 guilds this amounts to less than a buck a member. I have a little alt guild that I made and have been solo grinding the guild, don't really like the name anymore and believe I'm going to go change it right now. Thanks SOE for the oppurtunity to do this. =D

Everthing in an mmo is an option.  That doesn't mean that attacting a price tag to any or everything is a good thing.

I remember a time when developers were competing for our money by offering content and features as an enticement to us.  Now it seems more and more things are getting caught up in the microtransaction craze.

Short term gain at the expense of long term health.