Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmation - Space Combat

BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

From the following link one can assume that there is some form of space combat, can't wait for them to fill it up with info to appease the naysayers.

http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/spacecombat

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Comments

• neoubieneoubie Member Posts: 12

I followed your link and found NOTHING!!! No proof, just an empty Holonet page, that will be filled with who know what.

Don’t get me wrong though, I want to see space combat with my own ship.  I just think it will be a ways out, sorry sinjin.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

One of two things shall happen.

1 - They will soon release details of an epic proportioned space combat section of the game that they haven't even alluded to before.

b - that page is where they are going to post details about exactly how they are not going to add space combat until a post launch expansion.

Personally, I'm hoping it's ..... eh, I really don't care, there already going to be enough content and star wars goodness to keep me occupied for a good long while. If they add space I'll have to donate my children to starving cannibals so I'll have enough time.

Edit 1

They could go two ways with this as well, either combat in your own player ship (which would probably piss off as many as it appeased), or those ginormous player ships have hangars.

I would hope for the later myself.

Edit 2 

I think it would be best to wait for an expansion so there'll be plenty of dev time for it, and as I mentioned before I'll be otherwise occupied with ground stuff for quite a while anyway

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Hey, for all you know, they can do space they way they did it in ME2.. you move around a little ship between planets to travel and combat takes place off-screen based on the upgrades you have.  Would still be better than nothing.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• VladanVladan Member UncommonPosts: 36

There's more info about that link (and some others) here: http://swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=56275

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Originally posted by arieste

Hey, for all you know, they can do space they way they did it in ME2.. you move around a little ship between planets to travel and combat takes place off-screen based on the upgrades you have.  Would still be better than nothing.

I am fine with a little mini game popping up during travel between planets, makes it a little more risky say when you are being attacked by space pirates and you have to say man a space gun aboard your ship and fend thenm off.  Gives us a little something extra =)

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

There certainly is the potential for space combat to be added. Then again as someone else said, it mite just be there because they plan to add it in some future possible expansions. Ive seen links like that left over in websites which ended up just being placemarkers they never used. In fact you usually do find links like that. LOL I wont forget the time they left the old Hunter page up from early alpha in wow and people were wondering why the fuck they didnt leave humans as a hunter enabled race. Sorta ironic we get them again in a expansion.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

Originally posted by sinjin

Originally posted by arieste

I am fine with a little mini game popping up during travel between planets, makes it a little more risky say when you are being attacked by space pirates and you have to say man a space gun aboard your ship and fend thenm off.  Gives us a little something extra =)

That wound't be half bad...  I likes yer thinking.

Even if it doesn't start out with anything though I'm not too concerned.  It's Bioware and TOR those are two pretty strong points right there.  Just counting the seasons down until Spring 11.

• yarubpupyarubpup Member UncommonPosts: 33

Originally posted by neoubie

I followed your link and found NOTHING!!! No proof, just an empty Holonet page, that will be filled with who know what.

Don’t get me wrong though, I want to see space combat with my own ship.  I just think it will be a ways out, sorry sinjin.

You're missing the point.

You remember the movie "Contact" with the 20 minutes of static on the vidoe tape?

SWTOR has a placeholder page for the holonet with "SpaceCombat" in the URL

If you manually change the link from http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/spacecombat to http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/giantspacehamsters you don't get a blank holonet page, you get a "Page not found" error instead of a place holder page.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I think the place holder states the fact that there will be space combat announced at some point and that is the URL it will reside on. They gave us a space ship for our home base so I bet stories will land up in space battles of some sort. I just hope we can have the epic battle cruiser and fighter battles like the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith.

On a side note I wish there was a sandbox MMO star wars space game that was the size of Eve made by a tabletop game studio.