Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Site Update: Multiplayer Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Bioware and LucasArts have finally released the Star Wars: The Old Republic multiplayer video from last month's E3 convention in Los Angeles. The video features Dallas Dickinson providing commentary for the group of Republic heroes (all four classes) taking on Imperial Troopers and droids.

SUBJ: E3 Multiplayer Demo

During E3 we gave live demos of multiplayer game play in The Old Republic for the press. Now we want to share the demo with the world. This demo shows how a diverse group of players use their abilities to complement one another in battle.

Commander Narlock readies his troops for an Imperial assault. As he does, all four Republic classes; a Jedi Consular, Jedi Knight, Smuggler, and Trooper join together to assist in fighting off the attack. Watch as each player does his or her part to take on the enemies, and beat the Imperial Troopers and Imperial Breach Droids.

Check it all out at the link provided.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• catmaykatecatmaykate Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by parrotpholk
    WOW with lightsabers. Doesnt bring in anything new other than the lil cut scene with cheesy dialogue. I can however see how this will be a nice diversion for the WOW crowd. Note that I am not bashing your style of play or WOW but its what it appears to be is all I am saying here.  Someone needs to come up with a new formula though.

Why come up with something new when old works, to many whiners on these forums its on every game thread and its not even trolling just people mad at something they have no control over.

Why do people act like MMOs devs owe them something (and wow has damaged the way they live there lives), i laugh every time i see it

HAHAHAHAHA

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

They said it was low level stuff, i I noticed how fast the "mana" regen-ed on that consular.

Overall i like it.  the little intro kind of puts you in the mood for what's coming in the immediate future.  Gameplay, though not groundbreaking, is something familar that i can jump right into.

• NetuddkiNetuddki Member Posts: 13

Really?

A stupid looking robot with a machine gun and human like movements?

WTF?

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786

Originally posted by catmaykate

WOW with lightsabers. Doesnt bring in anything new other than the lil cut scene with cheesy dialogue. I can however see how this will be a nice diversion for the WOW crowd. Note that I am not bashing your style of play or WOW but its what it appears to be is all I am saying here.  Someone needs to come up with a new formula though.

Why come up with something new when old works, to many whiners on these forums its on every game thread and its not even trolling just people mad at something they have no control over.

Why do people act like MMOs devs owe them something (and wow has damaged the way they live there lives), i laugh every time i see it

HAHAHAHAHA

Me personally honestly thought Bioware being the company they are would have wanted to seperate themselves from the competition considering everyone who mimics it crashes and burns horribly

Me personally honestly trust Bioware's judgement far more than yours.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I think I will play it.

Also, I agree to what somebody said earlier:  No need to fix something that isn't broken.  I like the tank, dps, healer model along with aggro and threat factors.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

It does not look good. 

The reason why people act like the developers owe them something is becuase those people have their wallets open.  When people are prepared to play something for a unique experiance, such as Star Wars, the most capable ones aren't looking for a cloned reskining.

This game looks poorely done with the little they've shown.   Keep in mind that the name Bio-Ware established for its self was through the staff they had working on a few previous titles.  The problem with the equation is they are using staff that were responsible for the NGE Star Wars Galaxies fiasco to develop this project.

I very much hope I'm wrong, but this game looks extremely generic with cookie-cutter classes. I want someone challenging, not a "guitar quero" button masher for mouth breathers.  :(

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I miss X-Wings and the Millennium Falcon.

• MMOrUSMMOrUS Member Posts: 414

Oh I liked what I saw in that short vid, liked it alot =).

As for those who have to keep complaining about why devs aren't bringing us totally innovatitve games I ask you this, where were you when Chronicles of Spellborn came out? or Ryzom? thats 2 games that have tried to innovate the MMO genre and they are floundering due to lack of subscribers.

If players wanted truly innovative games the ones out now that broke the mould should be living proof of that, unfortunately they aren't because like it or not ppl enjoy playing something that is familar.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

HAHAHAHAHA

You're right, we should never develop anything new because the "old way works."  So I guess you never buy anything new, because the old way works so well, right?  Never buy a new TV, a new car, a new house, new clothing, anything?  Because the old stuff works.  Don't you understand that the devs don't owe us anything but we pay them?  WE are the reason they make the product so if they want to earn OUR money they should listen to US.

Of course, you are a sheep and will follow whatever is the same garbage that is pushed around no matter what.  How can someone criticize people who want innovation?  People like you make me sick, and its not about the MMO.  Its your kind of lazy attitude that really just makes me so angry, its just evident here.  Its not that I care so much about a new MMO as much as you saying people who want something new aren't "owed" anything by the dev?

God you are so stupid its almost incomprehensible.  That's why we have a government like the one we have today, I guess.  Its so frustrating.

Edit: And in regards to the MMO, its the exact same Tank and Spank formula that the guys at Bioware criticized.  They are being hypocrites and everyone turns a blind eye because they make such great SINGLE player games.  It's a shame that so many people are so blind to the reality of the situation, that even if it is a good MMO it is still just WoW in Star Wars skin with updated graphics and even less group play.  It will get subs, but certainly not any of my money.

Originally posted by MMOrUS

As for those who have to keep complaining about why devs aren't bringing us totally innovatitve games I ask you this, where were you when Chronicles of Spellborn came out? or Ryzom? thats 2 games that have tried to innovate the MMO genre and they are floundering due to lack of subscribers.

If players wanted truly innovative games the ones out now that broke the mould should be living proof of that, unfortunately they aren't because like it or not ppl enjoy playing something that is familar.

What innovative MMO has received any funding?  Mortal Online?  Darkfall?  Ryzom is more funded than those, as is Chronicles of Spellborn, but neither of them had even a twentieth of the funding that SWTOR, LOTRO, WoW, Aion, AoC, WAR, or any of the other games have received.

You wanna talk about Star Wars?  These games competing for business is going to be a real Clone War.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Why come up with something new when old works

Because it clearly doesn't work. No WoW clone has succeeded despite, by all means, being a more advanced/better version of WoW. They all fell short because tapping the WoW market is something you just can't do. Most of them don't even know other MMORPGs exist. All the people that don't like MMORPGs are playing WoW already (and according to numbers, WoW is losing subs and peaked 2 years ago) so why make ANOTHER WoW clone? 

If companies never did anything new then the genre would die. I'm so sick to death of WoW that I can't play it, or any of its clones without being bored within 3 minutes. 6 years ago though, the MMORPG industry was rife with innovation, and interesting unique well made games. 

• ChuckanarChuckanar Member UncommonPosts: 210

QFT  People say they want something new and fresh but when a game does that it gets no subscribers. The games you mentioned I like Ryzom myself and yet it got no credit for its different path. The general gamer and even elitist want something they can play easily and have fun. That is why games are the way they are. Some call them "dumbed down" but the paying public is to blame for this. Heck I know of a great hamburger place down the street and it has way better burgers than any of the major chains.. but it isnt a bajillionaire .. why? because it doesnt sell to masses and their bland taste, it sells to the local community and gives that community what it likes.

Originally posted by Chuckanar

QFT  People say they want something new and fresh but when a game does that it gets no subscribers. The games you mentioned I like Ryzom myself and yet it got no credit for its different path. The general gamer and even elitist want something they can play easily and have fun. That is why games are the way they are. Some call them "dumbed down" but the paying public is to blame for this. Heck I know of a great hamburger place down the street and it has way better burgers than any of the major chains.. but it isnt a bajillionaire .. why? because it doesnt sell to masses and their bland taste, it sells to the local community and gives that community what it likes.

There are many economics reasons the hamburger joint example doesn't work, and as I was typing it out I realized I was rambling.  But it just doesn't apply because there is no limit to the number of subscribers that a game could theoretically get because the more subs they get, the more money they get for new servers and they could support as many people as are in the market for an MMO.

If a game innovates poorly, why does that mean that we should never try anything new?  In twenty years do you want to see the same Tank and Spank games every year with just updated graphics?  It's pathetic how little these games change every time, and the only games that seem to be doing something different are TERA and Guild Wars, my two most anticipated games right now.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

I find their lack of originality disturbing...

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

This is dissapointing... I expected something different about the gameplay... Something that would set it apart from standard  MMO model, but what i see is just the same old with laz00rs in it... Even the dialogue sound corny and fake and story is their supposed selling point here.

Still allot of time until release... Wel'll see what they manage to squeez out...

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• UruktosUruktos Member Posts: 153

Dissapointing, but not unexpected.

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Did no one else find it annoying how the mon cal general was calling them "Imps" or "Imperials"???

Seriously theres no reason to be using episode 4 and up terms, and also the abreviation just sounded pathetic.

This looks more like a fan made attempt rather than a 100 million dollar project by a 5 star company.

• jewheadjewhead Member Posts: 4

man, this game is really overrated.

• Dionysus187Dionysus187 Member Posts: 302

I dunno guys I think it looks omgwtf awesome, seems like every MMO EA touches turns to gold......

Not.

• unimatrix8unimatrix8 Member Posts: 107

Give this man a gold star. I couldnt have said that better myself. Its amazing how ppl complain about a game not doing something new and ground breaking. When games do come out that break the mold these same complaining morons dont support them. I say stop all of the bitching because in trueth the players dont know what they want, if they did i think they would be in the developer chair and not bitching on some forum

• Lexe01Lexe01 Member Posts: 97

Watched the video, conclusion:

- Wtf @ class differences, how is that gonna get balanced

- you need 30% more time to play this game, to get through the horrid bla-bla-bla-bla part of the missions lol. (That''s gonna bug the hell out of some players)

- Looks like a totally overhyped game, make a wide turn and go around. (remember warhammer online anyone ? Thome of knowledge ?)

• ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350

looks decent for its current state. still a long time for release  so what we see may change . (even wow had some huge changes before its release like making undead humanoids and completely overhauling the paladin class)

Yes many of us may be tires of the trinity, but what can companies do. its a risk to try somthing new. investors want somthing that will secure them a profit. no one is gonna throw money into somthing that may or may not work. think the devs themselves want to try somthing new.  think the company itself is going to throw their exsistance on the table on somthing that may not catch on. 

its all about the money and nothing will change that. the few companies that have tried to bring change have not gone well.  some may point to terra. and guild wars. fact is their formulas have been used in various mmorpgs on the eastern side that worked and well they have updated those formulas. heck tera looks nice but guess what. it follows the trinity only that its action based. there are still healers there are still tanks and there is dps.  same ol just served in a different platter.

tired many games, got bored of them. ended up going back to the same old game many claim to hate. there im spending my time waiting for somthing new once again and hoping it picks up.

i got my eye on this one. but i cannot judge the game until late beta / release.

heck even wow catas alpha/ to beta saw some big changes. so lets see what comes down the road for TOR.

• NetuddkiNetuddki Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Chuckanar

QFT  People say they want something new and fresh but when a game does that it gets no subscribers. The games you mentioned I like Ryzom myself and yet it got no credit for its different path.

It is not enough to be different. It must be entertaining too.

Ryzom was just complicated, Spellborn had no innovation beyond the combat system, which is not enough (one feature doesn't make a block buster), MO and Darkfall are technically challenged (so to speak...)

The problem is not innovation, but bad execution.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Lexe01

Watched the video, conclusion:

- Wtf @ class differences, how is that gonna get balanced

- you need 30% more time to play this game, to get through the horrid bla-bla-bla-bla part of the missions lol. (That''s gonna bug the hell out of some players)

- Looks like a totally overhyped game, make a wide turn and go around. (remember warhammer online anyone ? Thome of knowledge ?)

The game is being designed around the same principles that Bioware made Kotor, but in an MMO environment.  The point is, if you didn't like Kotors emphasis on storyline, then you probably won't like SWTOR.  Especially if you feel the need to keep hammering "next" on every piece of dialogue without listening / reading it.  The game won't be to everyones taste.

As for class balance, its nothing that others haven't dealt with.  AOC has multiple classes with multiple roles.  WoW has Dual speccing.  The issue of balance is no different here.

• Sallas89Sallas89 Member Posts: 22

yes this is idd 1 month old news! good work!