Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Five Reasons to Be Stoked for The Old Republic

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.com's Bill Murphy recently had a hands on experience with Star Wars: The Old Republic at E3. In the first of a two-part list, Bill looks at five reasons the hype meter is off the charts for The Old Republic.

As we get closer and closer to The Old Republic’s impending early 2011 release, we are getting more and more info on the game from developer BioWare. At E3 this year the title was very playable, and we learned oodles of new info about the highly anticipated MMO. We’re seeing more and more all the time, and players are already beginning to formulate in their minds just what the title will bring to the market. Some call it a savior; others call it the damning “more of the same”. One thing is certain; the hype-meter is off the charts for this one. In part one of a two part series, we’ll examine a few reasons to be excited for BioWare’s The Old Republic, and then next week we’ll follow up with several reasons to be less-than-ecstatic. So dig in, read up, and offer your insights in the comments below!

Read Bill's Top 5 Reasons then let us know your thoughts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

5 reasons and none of them that convince me..

But then i have learned from previous experiences that the only thing that can convince me is handon experience...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

For #5.

I hope this pans out to be as good as it sounds.  I know most people could care less about story however, in the beginning the main point of Quests was about the story of the area you were in and not just the XP.  Lately it has been watered down into just hte xp and most people will skip through the text if it is more than 1 or 2 lines.

If it is a good story line there will be more that are interested in it.  Voice overs for all of this should add to the immersion of the game.  IMO, this is one of the main appeals to BioWare doing the game.  They created this universe that is TOR and I hope they continue on with thier good writing.

As far as if / who / how many / most / or whatever percent of the population does not like or care about the story?  So be it.  You  cannot make people like what you do, you can just do the best you can at putting a product out there and see what the players think.

So overall I agree with the top 5 reasons to look forward to the game.  More than likely I think I will also agree with the top 5 reasons to NOT like the game.  zMainly because I pretty much think they are going to be the same.  :)

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• conanownsconanowns Member Posts: 114

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, I doubt they will bring this back to life, as its far been lost over the years, and most of the people involved in MMOs prefer the social aspects rather than the story aspects.

#4) Voice Acting - The voice acting will be cool for a day, then skipped by a good % of the player base, because they'll want to play not watch a ugly interactive cartoon.

#3) Companion Characters -  People in current day MMOs are OBSESSED with pets, so this is prob gonna be a epic win on their part, or possibly a fail because its a person rather than a pet, who knows.. I don't get it, not personally a fan, but this fits well with the single player aspect the game is pushing forward.

#2)Player ships as housing - Its a alright concept, though I'm pretty sure people would have much rather had a community of housing rather than a ship all by their lonesome, again, current day MMOs (WOW) is about the social aspect of being around people.. and frankly segregating people to their own private location tends to make places a deserted waste land (DAoC is a good example .. when housing went in, the capital cities were empty.. WoW has no housing, capital cities are jam packed)

#1) It's Star Wars and Its Bioware - No its STAR WARS, frankly who the hell cares if its BioWare.. woooo single player game company is making an MMO!!!! SWEET BRO! If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare, the sole reason this is gigantic is ONLY because it is Star Wars. I'd be willing to be MOST people interested in this game, have never played a BioWare game before, and never heard of the company prior to this game.

Anyhow, Wold of Star Wars looks like it'll be a decent casual game for me if TERA fails, or something like Earth Rise never comes out (or sucks).

No story in a MMO makes them shallow and have no meaning thats what bioware is trying to do with thier story. They got ballz for trying it and they got the resources to accomplish it. Anyways I think youre wrong when you say that people are interested in this only because its star wars.....star wars in video games mostly suck donkey ballz. The first star wars mmo was good until lucasarts and soe completely fubar'ed it completely. Bioware is a big part  of why this game is getting so much hype. Put star wars and bioware together and you got mega hype as we see it has now.

And honestly if you are a gamer and havnt heard of bioware youre missing out on some great games.

• painbreakerpainbreaker Member Posts: 88

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, I doubt they will bring this back to life, as its far been lost over the years, and most of the people involved in MMOs prefer the social aspects rather than the story aspects.

#4) Voice Acting - The voice acting will be cool for a day, then skipped by a good % of the player base, because they'll want to play not watch a ugly interactive cartoon.

#3) Companion Characters -  People in current day MMOs are OBSESSED with pets, so this is prob gonna be a epic win on their part, or possibly a fail because its a person rather than a pet, who knows.. I don't get it, not personally a fan, but this fits well with the single player aspect the game is pushing forward.

#2)Player ships as housing - Its a alright concept, though I'm pretty sure people would have much rather had a community of housing rather than a ship all by their lonesome, again, current day MMOs (WOW) is about the social aspect of being around people.. and frankly segregating people to their own private location tends to make places a deserted waste land (DAoC is a good example .. when housing went in, the capital cities were empty.. WoW has no housing, capital cities are jam packed)

#1) It's Star Wars and Its Bioware - No its STAR WARS, frankly who the hell cares if its BioWare.. woooo single player game company is making an MMO!!!! SWEET BRO! If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare, the sole reason this is gigantic is ONLY because it is Star Wars. I'd be willing to be MOST people interested in this game, have never played a BioWare game before, and never heard of the company prior to this game.

Anyhow, Wold of Star Wars looks like it'll be a decent casual game for me if TERA fails, or something like Earth Rise never comes out (or sucks).

oh man, oh man... comparing a game with WoW... why does it always have to be WoW...

Comparing it with older games like Guild Wars, Everquest, Dungeons&Dragons or whatever would be ok, but with WoW... in my opinion WoW isn't really a MMORPG... it's just a Massive - Online - Game.

just my 2 cents

And I'm not able to say something about the 5 Points because I haven't had a hand on SW:ToR yet and I won't say this is good or bad when I haven't tested it out.

When the war of the beasts brings about the world’s end,
    the goddess descends from the sky, wings of light and dark spread afar.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - I personally love stories.  I just picked up the Transformers War for cybertron and i'm loving whats going on in that.  I think i like the story more then the game.

#4) Voice Acting - Take it or leave it.  the concept is nice and i'd like to think i'm all for it, but if it's anything like AoC, i'll be hitting ESC alot.

#3) Companion Characters - Interested really in how they will do this.  With they offer enough of these to be like PETS, yet retain the functionality of what i see them to be, EQ MERCS.

#2)Player ships as housing - yeah we all want it to fly in combat more the be a place to put a trophy.

#1) It's Star Wars and Its Bioware - gah sometimes i feel like Lucas has my be the the balls.......

I am excited yet cautious overall. 

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Why does everything suddenly need "X" ammount of reasons? lol

I already decided awhile ago not to play this, I could name 5 reasons as well, but what would it matter, those reasons are my own, same as your reasons to play it should be.

Everyone should have made a decision by now, there's really not much more anyone would need to know at this point, so I don't get why there is an offical article to try to get people hyped, were you guys paid to promote it or something?

• lingshirenlingshiren Member Posts: 9

If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare.

I want my damn Bruce Lee online game now!!

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by painbreaker

oh man, oh man... comparing a game with WoW... why does it always have to be WoW...

Comparing it with older games like Guild Wars, Everquest, Dungeons&Dragons or whatever would be ok, but with WoW... in my opinion WoW isn't really a MMORPG... it's just a Massive - Online - Game.

just my 2 cents

And I'm not able to say something about the 5 Points because I haven't had a hand on SW:ToR yet and I won't say this is good or bad when I haven't tested it out.

Man oh man, ya I'm comparing it to WoW because this is the audience the game is aiming for, the WoW generation gamers, not the people from Ultima Online, Ashron's Call, Everquest, Dark Age of Camelot... they aren't looking to attract those people because 1. in comparison all those games combined probably never even came up to 50% of the player base of WoW and 2. I'm sure a lot of the gamers from the haydays of MMOs have probably moved on.

Its already been stated this game will be able to be played like a single player game for a lot of the content, so what does that make this game... also a massive online game?

To me the fact there is a story is different than WOW. Voice acting other than "well met" is different than WOW. Housing of any kind is different than WOW. Seems to me that several of the  points you make against the game are the ones that are different than the beloved WOW. I dont think the WOW generation of gamers has the attention span to play a game with voice acting and a deep story.  I know about WOW, been there done that, I havnt played SWTOR as yet so I dont know but then again, neither do you.

Edit for spelling.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• kevnonkevnon Member Posts: 20

im only intrested in this game cause its bioware,  never played the other star wars mmo, never wanted to.

kevin ripka

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by lingshiren

If it was BioWare making hmm lets see "Bruce Lee World Online" or something that wasn't Star Wars , no one would give a flying shit if it was made by BioWare.

Actually I think that is a good idea, people would care for sure. Bioware has only ever done 1 martial arts game in the past (Jade Empire) and it was pretty damn good. Also Bruce Lee is an infamous name as well, that alone would attract a lot of attention, could even spark interest from non-mmo'er Bruce Lee fans and potentially tap into a new fan-based market aswell.

LOL!

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Originally posted by just2duh

Why does everything suddenly need "X" ammount of reasons? lol

I already decided awhile ago not to play this, I could name 5 reasons as well, but what would it matter, those reasons are my own, same as your reasons to play it should be.

Everyone should have made a decision by now, there's really not much more anyone would need to know at this point, so I don't get why there is an offical article to try to get people hyped, were you guys paid to promote it or something?

The pervious articles the MMORPG writers did were "bashing" the game (in a way). This article has two purposes...

1. To clean up the so-called bashing.

2. To inform the posters that complained about the bashing to SHUT THE F*** UP ...

• lingshirenlingshiren Member Posts: 9

Actually I think that is a good idea, people would care for sure. Bioware has only ever done 1 martial arts game in the past (Jade Empire) and it was pretty damn good. Also Bruce Lee is an infamous name as well, that alone would attract a lot of attention, could even spark interest from non-mmo'er Bruce Lee fans and potentially tap into a new fan-based market aswell.

LOL!

exactly, forget all this sci-fi stuff, and get me some nun-chucks, a claw-hand...and Chuck Norris with an afro!

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

As frontline defense for SWTOR, I expected much more. Having followed all news so far and having read the recent hands-on impressions on several sites and by different individuals, this game looks less and less intriguing on each passing day. "WoW with lightsabers" is becoming a grim and depressing reality.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147

Sorry to sound harsh, but I am so damn sick and tired of everyone's #1 reason that TOR will be good is because "It's Bioware",  Now I don't have anything against Bioware.  I played them a bit but never really could get into the KOTRO series.  Sure there are neat things that came from it, but I'm just not OMG gush like a Twilight fan about it.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Bioware.  I'm neutral towards them.  So OMG it's Bioware just doesn't cut it for me.  But hell, here's their chance.  If TOR is a good MMO than they can make a true believer out of me.

As for Bioware making Star Wars movies...well they can make a neat trailer, but that does not mean they could make a good movie.  (And seriously, absorb.dissapate a lightsaber blade.  Right, I'm pretty sure that's a bit spanktastic.  Oh and leave the freaking blue anime fireballs to Street Fighter).

Of course, I liked Episodes 1-3, so I guess we all have different tastes.  Although I'm pretty sure the prequals had a huge hype machine and awesome looking trailers, but everyone sure likes to bash them.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

LOL!

exactly, forget all this sci-fi stuff, and get me some nun-chucks, a claw-hand...and Chuck Norris with an afro!

Now that would be irresistable to the WOW crowd.  :)

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

• KuatosuneKuatosune Member UncommonPosts: 219

Given Bioware's track record and that I've yet to play a game from them that I didn't love I can say I'm stoked.  Even if bioware created an MMO on a different genre than I'd be geeked about the possibilities.  The fact that it's a Star Wars liscence they are working on makes it even more awesome imo.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, 

When you say most people your referring to yourself as multiple persons correct? Last time i checked you didnt speak for "most" people and i happen to like a good written story no matter if its an mmorpg or a single player rpg.

• Arctic2006Arctic2006 Member Posts: 31

Personally, I am liking what I see in SW: TOR. I am definately planning on giving this game a shot. Bioware, Star Wars, and many other facts seem to point that this could turn out to be a pretty stellar game. One can only hope!

• eHeroeHero Member UncommonPosts: 42

Originally posted by barezz

As for Bioware making Star Wars movies...well they can make a neat trailer, but that does not mean they could make a good movie.  (And seriously, absorb.dissapate a lightsaber blade.  Right, I'm pretty sure that's a bit spanktastic.  Oh and leave the freaking blue anime fireballs to Street Fighter).

Of course, I liked Episodes 1-3, so I guess we all have different tastes.  Although I'm pretty sure the prequals had a huge hype machine and awesome looking trailers, but everyone sure likes to bash them.

Honestly, I thought the first trailer to ToR was better than all three of the prequels combined.  So in my opinion, Bioware's already succeeded. 

And I'm with a lot of people on liking Bioware here.  Back in the day, I would buy anything Blizzard made sight unseen, just for the simple fact that it was Blizzard.  Between them and Black Isle, those were the two companies I could count on to produce a great product.  I have brand loyalty.  And sure, a mmo is new ground, but they did do Neverwinter Nights, so they're not totally oblivious to a multiplayer game.  Do I really need to use another Blizzard reference here already?

On the flip side, it seems like I've been burned, time and time again by the MMO genre.  I don't have any faith in that area anymore, not since Warhammer took all my hopes and dreams and ate them.  So I understand when people are skeptical.

In all, I'm going to be hopeful, but I'll wait until it releases and I hear some reviews first.  If it's really great, I may even buy one of the billion Collector's Editions that I'm sure will sure be on the shelves a month after the fact.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Ah, I do so enjoy when people throw out "Most people don't enjoy X", since it's their opinion of what they don't like, and obviously everyone else must feel the same, or they must be stupid.

Anyways...

The story, I am very interested in, and the companion characters since they are part story, part pet that can fill a roll I need for my group.

I miss housing, but they mentioned that they have not stated if ships are fully customizational <.<.

I think there are a few things they have left yet to say/confirm/show that could make this list expand or replace some.  But we shall have to wait and see.

• eisenryueisenryu Member Posts: 157

Who gives a shit if its a WoW clone? As long as its not WoW.

World of Warcraft is the original creation of God. Real Life is in fact a WoW clone.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by barezz

YEAH! There is NO way in real life a REAL JEDI could throw a blue air/fire ball and NO WAY a real lightsabre blade could be absorbed like that. What are they thinking...pshaw!! They  need a reality check.

As far as the game goes I am going to play it on release unless there are some aweful OB reports that say its not ready and are realisitic. I have some faith in Bioware and noticed I have the box for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 closeby cause I am still playing them.

• kalarenkalaren Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by handheld

#5 ) Personal Story for Your Character - Nope and no thanks, most people don't even care about the stories in MMOs, 

When you say most people your referring to yourself as multiple persons correct? Last time i checked you didnt speak for "most" people and i happen to like a good written story no matter if its an mmorpg or a single player rpg.

When you say "most" people, you are referring to yourself correct? Or are you doing the same thing I did and calling yourself correct and me wrong? Just wondering...

No where does he say he speaks for anyone other than himself, he states a fact that you do not speak for most people. You on the other hand, "most people don't even care". And guess what I do care if there's a good story in an MMO.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I feel like there will be a "Five reasons to be worried about SW:TOR" soon. ;)

Edit: Idiot me. I should have read the article before posting, where it is stated. But it was my initial thought.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Great article, and I completely agree.

I'm sure next week we will get the 5 reasons to be concerned, and I have a feeling we'll see some deja-vu (items making both lists)..

Good article, good read. Spot on.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford