Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Try Godslayer for Free

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has announced that it is inviting both old and new players to try out Age of Conan's first expansion, Rise of the Godslayer, for free. The offer is available until July 15th and includes 10 days full access to the core game and Godslayer.

“We are delighted to see how well the expansion has been received both among our own players as well as the worldwide gaming press,” says Morten Larssen, Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Funcom. “After a full-scale release in retail and online the expansion has performed well in terms of both sales and traffic, and the activity on our servers has increased significantly in the last month. ‘Age of Conan’ has once again proven that it is truly one of the top MMOs on the market right now, and we remain dedicated to supporting it.”

Head to the Age of Conan site to learn more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

One of the best MMOs, IMHO - too bad I can't play it longer than two minutes without crashing.  I used to be able to play it, but past few months, its become unplayable.  Tried coming back for this RotGS trial, but after all sorts of screwing around trying to get it to work, I gave up.  Again.  

To date, its the only game I've ever given up on due to stability issues.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm miffed I can't try out Rise of the Godslayer, especially as a former AoC subscriber.

That's what I get for being a nice guy and house sitting for friends without internet for the entire freaking month I guess.

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266

Ya I got the try it for free for 10 days thing, I clicked to give it a go and cant log in account not active though it says it is. Read closer and it seems I have to re-open a subscription? or am I missing somthing? On an older account I got a similar yet diffrent e-mail that did reactive the account for a 10 day trial but does not include the expansion, I would like to try the expansion to see if its worth coming back but was so let down by my first 2 trys into AoC that I am not willing to pay out another sub untill I see imporvment.

Still hope this game turns into all I hoped it would love the IP and there concepts but I have yet to see a reason to pony up for it.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

i got an email to try ROGS, and i think I will pass. I purposely got myself banned so I wouldnt play this game, yet they still send me emails. thirsty for subs i see. oh well moving on to bigger and better things.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378

Originally posted by nakuma

i got an email to try ROGS, and i think I will pass. I purposely got myself banned so I wouldnt play this game, yet they still send me emails. thirsty for subs i see. oh well moving on to bigger and better things.

Purposely got banned?  Well shame you're not playing anymore...   

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

Purposely banned. I love the arrogance the internet has bred.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

More like stupidity.

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by Vhaln

One of the best MMOs, IMHO - too bad I can't play it longer than two minutes without crashing.  I used to be able to play it, but past few months, its become unplayable.  Tried coming back for this RotGS trial, but after all sorts of screwing around trying to get it to work, I gave up.  Again.  

To date, its the only game I've ever given up on due to stability issues.

I had the same problem but it looks like it was down to my ISP and a poor line. Since I got a serge protector with internet protection I don't seem to be having this problem. Its worth considering for anyone that has internet connection problems if they are using a router.

Originally posted by oakshooligan

how is it arrogance? I purposely got them to ban me with the intent i will never have an excuse to go back. The game has never really lived up to its promises, let's also not set aside the fact that funcom has on a regular basis tried to backpeddle on features that were suposed to be in the beginning only not to get them til over a year later, yet even some are not present still. I bought the CE version on the premise that funcom did a good job on this game. they haven't. have they improved the POS the game was before, I guess yes could be a fair statement. however, the game has never really come back, still has missing and broken features.

As well as no true Dx 10 client, only a "test version" the game continues to make 1 step foward for every 2 steps back. Now they bring out a expansion when the original core game was so poorly implemented, only to bring out a expansion that "allows" you to start in tortage yet again, only shining beacon is the fact you can travel to khatai, but even that is not much of a door prize as like the original game is unfinished to some degree, broken, implemented poorly, or half assed in some way. PVP is a joke, although fun in small doses.

I am a conan fan, i had the original large black and white comics from the 80's and this is a sad implementation of such as wonderful canon/IP that is written by so many talented authors who have brought this world to life after Robert Howards passing. 

At the very best, it has few, i repeat, few redeemable gameplay elements, and its core, looks pretty but has no real substance, but I cant really justify paying $15 to a game developer who has done such a piss poor job with this game and IP. The same thing happened with AO, the game was in such rife state of a buggy mess it was often at times unplayable. Sorry if I demand quality, and a game that is fun yet stable on my computer. and Yes i have a high end custom rig that can easily handle this game but the computer isnt the problem its the game.

if I come across aggrogant, then my friend you need to look up the word and understand its true meaning.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• NeopsychNeopsych Member UncommonPosts: 324

Totally agree. Getting purposely banned is not the mark of arrogance, its the mark of an idiot. Totally different.

To err is human....to play is divine

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

how is it arrogance? I purposely got them to ban me with the intent i will never have an excuse to go back. The game has never really lived up to its promises, let's also not set aside the fact that funcom has on a regular basis tried to backpeddle on features that were suposed to be in the beginning only not to get them til over a year later, yet even some are not present still. I bought the CE version on the premise that funcom did a good job on this game. they haven't. have they improved the POS the game was before, I guess yes could be a fair statement. however, the game has never really come back, still has missing and broken features.

As well as no true Dx 10 client, only a "test version" the game continues to make 1 step foward for every 2 steps back. Now they bring out a expansion when the original core game was so poorly implemented, only to bring out a expansion that "allows" you to start in tortage yet again, only shining beacon is the fact you can travel to khatai, but even that is not much of a door prize as like the original game is unfinished to some degree, broken, implemented poorly, or half assed in some way. PVP is a joke, although fun in small doses.

I am a conan fan, i had the original large black and white comics from the 80's and this is a sad implementation of such as wonderful canon/IP that is written by so many talented authors who have brought this world to life after Robert Howards passing. 

At the very best, it has few, i repeat, few redeemable gameplay elements, and its core, looks pretty but has no real substance, but I cant really justify paying $15 to a game developer who has done such a piss poor job with this game and IP. The same thing happened with AO, the game was in such rife state of a buggy mess it was often at times unplayable. Sorry if I demand quality, and a game that is fun yet stable on my computer. and Yes i have a high end custom rig that can easily handle this game but the computer isnt the problem its the game.

if I come across aggrogant, then my friend you need to look up the word and understand its true meaning.

You pretty much just showed him the reason he states it. Maybe you should look up the definition. Anyways, this game is pretty good. Going to download it now.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

While the expansion zones are very well done in terms of graphics and layout, I wonder if people will be turned off of the game due to the excessive grind for tokens.

This may actually get a few people to sub, but not many i wouldnt think.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Based upon the latest  comments from Morrison, I'm expecting that there will be changes in the near future,  easing up on the faction grind, making the tokens and such better to obtain.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Originally posted by cyphers

Based upon the latest  comments from Morrison, I'm expecting that there will be changes in the near future,  easing up on the faction grind, making the tokens and such better to obtain.

I agree that there will be changes, but ' near future' is a relative term and this is funcom we are talking about.

Their idea of ' near future' and mine are probably very very different.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

It'll probably not be next week, true. I'm betting withing the next few months though.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• BiffumusBiffumus Member Posts: 19

I tried it.  Fun looking game, but with no pet agro for pet classes, game over for me...

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

You are aware the DX10 version is a "test" version because they're still ironing out the bugs with it with a few video card models right?

I'm voting for arrogant and idiot.

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

Bigger and Better things like what exactly?  If there is anything better I want to know about it and you seem to have the knowledge.

• EferhildEferhild Member Posts: 11

If you are having problems with the Game Client crashing it's most likely something to do with your computer. AoC is not perfect and I get crashes every once in awhile but it usually boils down to system configurations and/or hardware problems. I know my system has problems and it will crash on almost any program. In fact on a Cold Boot my computer will usually restart itself 3 times before it works.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Eferhild

If you are having problems with the Game Client crashing it's most likely something to do with your computer. AoC is not perfect and I get crashes every once in awhile but it usually boils down to system configurations and/or hardware problems. I know my system has problems and it will crash on almost any program. In fact on a Cold Boot my computer will usually restart itself 3 times before it works.

Maybe, the system is nearly two years old (incidentally, newer than AOC is..) but it still runs every other game I've tried pretty damn close to flawlessly.  So even if there is some issue, if AOC is the only game that stumbles over it, I'm hardly going to rush out to buy new hardware quite yet.

Makes me wonder how many players AOC is still losing over stability.  I can't be the only one, but I don't see as much noise about it anymore.  So, I wonder if there are a lot of people who've just given up on it, and don't even bother posting anymore, or what.  Or I'm the only one still crashing?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

AoC is  pretty game but quite shallow unfortunately.

I gave it a third chance a month ago but while it is easy to get into it, it is also easy to get out of it too.

I like everything about AoC except the fact it is way too fast to level, whilst the end game is quite hard and feels grindy.

The leveling curve kinda encourage you to skip all the content in order to get to lvl 80 as soon as possible, and when you get there, the faction farming and raids will take over the game (and that's not positive).

Developers should stop making games which are too easy from 1 to 79 for then suddenly switching to hardcore mode when the players finally get to 80.

Originally posted by mackdawg19

You pretty much just showed him the reason he states it. Maybe you should look up the definition. Anyways, this game is pretty good. Going to download it now.

I volunteered to get myself banned as i didnt want to play this game didn't even want my account active, so found this as a solution. My choice doesnt make me an idiot. but thanx for the troll, shows you care.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Originally posted by Eferhild

Maybe, the system is nearly two years old (incidentally, newer than AOC is..) but it still runs every other game I've tried pretty damn close to flawlessly.  So even if there is some issue, if AOC is the only game that stumbles over it, I'm hardly going to rush out to buy new hardware quite yet.

Makes me wonder how many players AOC is still losing over stability.  I can't be the only one, but I don't see as much noise about it anymore.  So, I wonder if there are a lot of people who've just given up on it, and don't even bother posting anymore, or what.  Or I'm the only one still crashing?

yeah they love to pretend its your computer. it gives them an excuse to shift the blame to you. I have a nice system and SSAO still looks like total crap, there are evident problems with stability, performance issues, bugs though alot of them are squashed, but then again they've had over a year so that's to be expected. but like other people said, the game is pretty, but with not much real substance, its easy to get into, and easy to get out of. pretty forgetable as a game.

Originally posted by Xondar123

You are aware the DX10 version is a "test" version because they're still ironing out the bugs with it with a few video card models right?

I'm voting for arrogant and idiot.

its been a "test" version for over a god damn year. you sir are the idiot. It isnt my fault they can't code properly let alone communicate with nvidia and ati effectively. Don't include features on the box when a purchase, if they arent ready. I will hold my breath for a full featured DX10 client...whatcha think? 6 months? another year? maybe more?...tick tock ...tick tock...

hey if you justifying excuses make you feel better , hey who am I to peel away the veil from your eyes and show you the the real world. I don't want you go into shock. But hey its my opinion nothing more, some people enjoy eating a shit sandwhich topped with olives, bon appetite.

Originally posted by jdnewell

While the expansion zones are very well done in terms of graphics and layout, I wonder if people will be turned off of the game due to the excessive grind for tokens.

This may actually get a few people to sub, but not many i wouldnt think.

as always substituting real content with mindless grind mechanics. showcases true talent in the gaming industry.