Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart strikes again.

Seriously, doesn't the guy get the hint yet that he is NOT a successful game developer yet?

After all his other failures ( including the recent Alganon ) I can't wait to see the fiasco from this one.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
-And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Hey now, Derek Smart has fans of his games!

Granted, only about half a dozen, but that still counts! image

• QazzQazz Member Posts: 577

I've been to his website and seen his pics: if he's not a successful guy, it sure doesn't show.  If he's on the dark side of the gaming industry, then perhaps my transformation is complete...I'm kind of rooting for him.  I hope this game does well!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

I tried one of these battlecruiser games about 6-7 years ago and it looked exactly the same, it was also a buggy mess.  It seems like they just re-release the same game every year and STILL never make it work properly.

How come they keep claiming it has seamless space/planet transitions when it clearly doesn't? It's just a cheesy cutscene covering up a terrain change.  This is what seamless really looks like: , or see good 'ol elite first encounters :)

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Seriously, doesn't the guy get the hint yet that he is NOT a successful game developer yet?

After all his other failures ( including the recent Alganon ) I can't wait to see the fiasco from this one.

In Mr.Smart's defense, Alganon is a David Allen snafu with Derek brought in later to try to turn things around. I hear his relationship with the game's community ain't doing so hot though...

Anyhow, as much as I don't agree with his attitude towards his playerbase, nor am I a fan of his, hopefully he has some success with this project.

• DoomsteinDoomstein Member Posts: 1

Well, here's my take on this.  The idea of simultanious ground fps/space flight sim combat has intrigued me for years, but the problem is that the concept is way too ambitious for our current hardware.  Combine that with the limited capabilities of his team and you'll have yet another disappointment from 3000.  A game of this type needs a big team and lots of money not only to make it work properly, but to keep it interesting.  The more he cranks out these dead fish the more the industry as a whole is going to see the CONCEPT as unprofitable and we'll NEVER see a well made fps/sim mmo by a big studio.  We'll be stuck with nice safe games about chopping orcs with mithril scimitars for the rest of our days.  I respect Mr. Smart's conviction, but he's gotta learn when to call it quits.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I remember 3000 AD and it was absolutely horrid. So I am really sceptical about this game...

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Wait what? Who gave him money to make another clone/fail.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• IkisisIkisis Member UncommonPosts: 443

Well if done right he could make this into a Darkfall/Starwars Galaxies Pre-CU. If he goes for a sandbox title which it looks like the plans are, i see a few ways he could take this and be very successful.

If they took Features of SWG pre-cu and made the combat on plantes like First person shooters, with the ability to run plantary or even galactic mafia's and all sort's of good guy bad guy stuff.

Hell im gonna root for the under dawg on this one.

He just need's to keep in mind WoW sucks, dont copy it because no one wants another one... Lots of pissed of SWG Vet's tho still gamless.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by DanMcC

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Wait what? Who gave him money to make another clone/fail.

I'd like to know as well.

I'm sure he'll turn up here shortly to let you all know.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please dont necro-post in old threads. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.