Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Producer's Letter

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Warhammer Online producer, Carrie Gouskos, has penned the latest letter outlining the updates coming down the pipe in the near future. At the same time, Gouskos acknowledges players' need to hear more about long term plans for the game.

Through these communications I’ve emphasized how we listen to the community and take your feedback seriously while planning the future of WAR. For the most part, the “P-Letter” (as I like to call it) is intended to be a short term look at the next version or two,  giving you a look forward at the months to come. However, it’s very clear that there is a lot of desire to hear about long term planning. We hear these requests loud and clear, and it is our desire to give you a better sense of WAR’s long term plan by the end of summer. Our detractors like to make fun of us for “being really excited” and “itching to tell you about” some “really cool things” (yes, we read the snarky posts), and in this case we want to shout it from the rooftops…but not just yet.

Gouskos takes a look at the latest v1.3.6 including RVR, incentivizing city armors and appearance slots.

Head to the Warhammer Herald to read the rest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MadninMadnin Member Posts: 55

Fingers crossed........there's nothing else out there that appeals to me atm.

"It is natural to man to indulge in the illusions of hope. We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth -- and listen to the song of that syren, till she transforms us into beasts. ... Are we disposed to be of the number of those, who having eyes, see not, and having ears, hear not?" --Patrick Henry

• ShealladhShealladh Member UncommonPosts: 90

Huh, now they want to listen to the fans, pfffft.

Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad, Good Bye once again.....

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

I like Carrie. image

She can be my warband leader anytime! image

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by Shealladh

Huh, now they want to listen to the fans, pfffft.

Too Little, Too Late, Too Bad, Good Bye once again.....

Typical MMORPG.COM reply that I have come to expect. Never too late to take action imo.

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Ditch the damn quests system! Make WAR a REAL PvP game.

• MagicManICTMagicManICT Member UncommonPosts: 92

A link to the article would be nice. Why does mmorpg.com miss this on so many of their submissions anymore?

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

lol listen to the player base? the player base wanted a 3rd faction. Period.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Hrica

That cost a lot of money and hard work. I am not sure Mythic could even afford such a revamp now.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I just don't get why this game has so much trouble with making open rvr combat something that players want to get invovled in.  It seems every time you turn around they are implementing some gimmick to get people "out and into the action".  All these incentives are short term bandaids.  Armor, weapons, experience and other points systems.  Once a players gets what they desire the incentive is completely lost and the game is back to square one with the same problem.

None of that addresses the core issues of what is keeping people from entering the RVR combat.  Without directly addressing that I fear the game will continue the cycle of mudflating rewards to entice people to partake in the games defining features. 

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Nice all this changes shoud be sooner..but ill give it a shot while i wait for swtor , GW2

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

I like Carrie. image

She can be my warband leader anytime! image

o_O

she's a 3, at best....

Jeez, a WARBAND leader lol. That's a special relationship of friendship, trust and mutual love of kicking the other guy in the yarbles. It's not all about sex sex sex all the time, sheesh....

Originally posted by Daffid011

I just don't get why this game has so much trouble with making open rvr combat something that players want to get invovled in.  It seems every time you turn around they are implementing some gimmick to get people "out and into the action".  All these incentives are short term bandaids.  Armor, weapons, experience and other points systems.  Once a players gets what they desire the incentive is completely lost and the game is back to square one with the same problem.

None of that addresses the core issues of what is keeping people from entering the RVR combat.  Without directly addressing that I fear the game will continue the cycle of mudflating rewards to entice people to partake in the games defining features. 

Well it's all a matter of rewards... At the beginning the scenarios completely sucked the players away from RvR because the rewards over time were so much better and they were much more reliable. When they tweaked the rewards so open RvR gives you comparable advanement over time it picked up a lot.

It is not about having to "push" people into PvP because they actually "don't want" to PvP. That's a total nonsense. Just imagine how PvE would get unpopular in WoW, for example, if the rewards for it were non-existent. You could then argue that majority of players don't want to PvE but have to be "pushed" into it. Just remember the good old days of WoW with enthusiastic world PvP all around.. Blizzard actually went out of their way to punish world PvP-ers and if you wanted to keep doing it your progress would completely stop or even get retarded. "If you don't like to raid, learn to like it." I hope they rot in hell for that sentence which set back mmo development for at least five years.

I'm not saying that people play games just because of the rewards, but that is a pretty large consideration if you take into account that most MMORPGs are ladder games and if you spend too much time on non-rewarding activities, no matter how much fun they are, you will lag behind your friends as well as that spotty kid flashing his gearscore on general chat. Most mmos abuse this advancement principle to make players perform activities they really don't prefer but "have to" because of the underlying drive of the game. This is the essence of grind, imo.

• Zeal^_^Zeal^_^ Member UncommonPosts: 15

Some long needed changes that hopefully will bring the game more RvR... Maybe someday the will make it even worth wile to do.

For the GOA part... Thank god they're getting rid of them. Never liked GOA and never will. Maybe this means that we can get real website and not any flash balloon that looks and feels like hell.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I get what you are saying Pilnkplon and agree in essence with what you are saying.

The PvE content and reward system in wow (for example) compliment each other.  Both systems accomplish what they set out to do and integrate with each other. 

There are problems with warhammers Orvr design that have held back that area of gameplay since the games release.  Adding big shiny rewards will not solve those issues and may end up causing more problems as it will only inflate the gap between long term players and incoming players (something warhammer really needs). 

If people are avoiding the RvR due to population imbalances, then granting experience bonuses doesn't address that issue.  It might draw people to the RvR areas, but they are not doing so to engage in RvR.  They are doing so to get points and at that point it really doesn't matter how they are doing it, because they are partaking in something they would otherwise avoid, because it doesn't offer what they find enjoyable.  Once they have their fill of those experience points, they will be gone just as quickly as they came.

Now if Mythic had addressed the issue directly those same people might jump in to RvR for the enjoyment and the rewards become a secondary concern.  Lets say Mythic put a different twist on cross server battelgrounds.  If your server is heavy with order, then perhaps a warband of your realm deploy itself to another server that is lacking players of your faction.   Sort of a mixture between population balance and keeping things specific to each realm with minimal outside help. 

Somedays people could deploy to another server and other days stay home.  Incentives and durations are details that could be worked out to give players enough incentive to stay or deploy as needed, but overall the ORVR systems would benefit from better matched sides and it would resolve some of the stress servers suffer from population imbalances. 

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Hrica

Yep

• RodzillaRodzilla Member UncommonPosts: 159

Its still a 1 or 2 button smashing AOE fest,,,,,,POS

searching for the next DAoC....

Kay-exile