Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dev Log update on MMO Magic web site.

BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

There is an update on the www.citadelofsorcery.com website in the dev log area.  Interesting reading.

http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/news/index.php

Comments

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Nice read,  900 million sq. kilometers of  world is quite immense.  Seems like this game wont be ready for a few more years.

• BookkeeperBookkeeper Member Posts: 60

Well, as much as I'd like to play this game now... I'd prefer that it was polished and that they don't compromise on their goals, as so many other games I've played in recent years have done.  I've grown tired and jaded about MMOs that keep repeating the same thing.  No matter how long it takes to finish this game I will be happy to wait as long as they don't cave in and make it like all the other compromise MMORPGs out there.

As far as the size of the world, that is F#^%#@g huge!   At this size this world is so much larger than other MMOs I've played that those other games are like a postage stamp on a football field in compairson.   It will be interesting to learn why they are going THIS much bigger.  Jatar?  Care to weigh in?

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

Well, as much as I'd like to play this game now... I'd prefer that it was polished and that they don't compromise on their goals, as so many other games I've played in recent years have done.  I've grown tired and jaded about MMOs that keep repeating the same thing.  No matter how long it takes to finish this game I will be happy to wait as long as they don't cave in and make it like all the other compromise MMORPGs out there.

As far as the size of the world, that is F#^%#@g huge!   At this size this world is so much larger than other MMOs I've played that those other games are like a postage stamp on a football field in compairson.   It will be interesting to learn why they are going THIS much bigger.  Jatar?  Care to weigh in?

Read the post from him the other day throw us a bone. He discusses the size the majority of the world will exist but be the equivalent of wastelands. it gives them the space to place quests and expansion options.

The key to this game is the storyline/chapters and the fact that most of the world cosists of your own reflected world , a group of upto 8 players who can be rounded up at the citadel will have this vast space to themselves . So just think how lost you can get in it....

A different approach, and a breath of fresh air.

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Originally posted by Isane

Read the post from him the other day throw us a bone. He discusses the size the majority of the world will exist but be the equivalent of wastelands. it gives them the space to place quests and expansion options.

The key to this game is the storyline/chapters and the fact that most of the world cosists of your own reflected world , a group of upto 8 players who can be rounded up at the citadel will have this vast space to themselves . So just think how lost you can get in it....

Thanks for the support, Isane.  What you wrote is correct, though I have a few things to add to it.

First off, please note that you will not always be solo or in a group of up to eight players while in a Reflected World.  Sometimes a MUCH larger group of players will go on a campaign together into one of the RWs to assault a castle or take on one of Morphael's armies, etc.  Your Guild Hall and surrounding player village or town is also out in the RWs, and MANY players can go there at once.  The point being, the RWs aren't JUST for group quests, they are also used for massive multiplayer operations as well.

Now, to the size of the world... Isane has this correct, we are building the world the size of earth so that the game will not run out of usable real estate and so that players would never have seen it all.  It is important to us for players to always know that there is more out there to see, that even though they may spend a long time in a particular Territory when they choose to move on they will see new things. 

We also wanted to appeal to the explorer in all of us, and when you are in a world this big there could be places out there that no player has ever seen before, even after this game has been in existence for years.  Nobody can see everything, it just isn't possible.   You could start walking across the RW, stay at your computer for a month and you would still only have barely started around this world.  Ask yourself, how long would it take you to walk from Los Angeles to New York?  That is only part of the way around earth, and this game is the full size of earth.

Hope that answers your question somewhat, Bookkeeper.

Originally posted by Jatar

Thanks for the support, Isane.  What you wrote is correct, though I have a few things to add to it.

First off, please note that you will not always be solo or in a group of up to eight players while in a Reflected World.  Sometimes a MUCH larger group of players will go on a campaign together into one of the RWs to assault a castle or take on one of Morphael's armies, etc.  Your Guild Hall and surrounding player village or town is also out in the RWs, and MANY players can go there at once.  The point being, the RWs aren't JUST for group quests, they are also used for massive multiplayer operations as well.

Now, to the size of the world... Isane has this correct, we are building the world the size of earth so that the game will not run out of usable real estate and so that players would never have seen it all.  It is important to us for players to always know that there is more out there to see, that even though they may spend a long time in a particular Territory when they choose to move on they will see new things. 

We also wanted to appeal to the explorer in all of us, and when you are in a world this big there could be places out there that no player has ever seen before, even after this game has been in existence for years.  Nobody can see everything, it just isn't possible.   You could start walking across the RW, stay at your computer for a month and you would still only have barely started around this world.  Ask yourself, how long would it take you to walk from Los Angeles to New York?  That is only part of the way around earth, and this game is the full size of earth.

Hope that answers your question somewhat, Bookkeeper.

UHm I have an aditional question or two:

•  Will the battles with Morphaels armies and results of these be reflected in everyones Reflected World ?

• Will will guild cities be accesable from everyones reflected world just like the citadel ?

Originally posted by zereelist

Nice read,  900 million sq. kilometers of  world is quite immense.  Seems like this game wont be ready for a few more years.

Just think of the unique areas that will be held within your own reflected world , and the chance to find something unique or fabulous. That you can wave about in the Citadel, you really have the chance tobe a hero do something unique. And it won't be on Josie Bells COS website a day later.

UHm I have an aditional question or two:

•  Will the battles with Morphaels armies and results of these be reflected in everyones Reflected World ?

• Will will guild cities be accesable from everyones reflected world just like the citadel ?

Some actions players take will be reflected across worlds.  Without going into it too deeply, the CoS universe is elastic, but tends to equalize toward the greatest change.  Therefore, some changes players make can propagate across the worlds.  I know this may bring up more questions, but this is as much information as we are releasing on how this works so it will have to do for now. :)

Guild cities are accessible from any RW, just like the Citadel, or you can go there from the Citadel.  Players will get to survey locations in the Reflected Worlds to select a site to start and build their Guild.   Thereafter they can sell land around the Guild to members, so that they can in turn construct housing and businesses which will create the town.  More on that later.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Originally posted by Bookkeeper

Ive bookmarked this game from a while ago.  So does "a group of upto 8 players who can be rounded up at the citadel will have this vast space to themselves" mean an isntance that you play within that is a mirror of the land, with 8 friends?

Depending on what you are doing, yes.  You can read the mythos of this world in the Lore section of the www.citadelofsorcery.com website.  You will at times journey to one of the Reflected Worlds.  If you are on a Quest, Mission, Adventure or Crisis, you will go there alone or with up to eight members in your group.  In other cases you will be part of a Campaign, and go to an RW with many players in one of the war efforts.  There are also other places you will go like the Citadel or one of the Guild locations where it is more of a standard MMO location. 

But in any case, when you journey to any Reflected World it is the entire planet, everything.  Not a typical 'instance' as used in other MMOs, it is the entire world, 'reflected' from the original.   These Reflectiosn are part of the mythos, and there are time when player actiosn can change things across the entire Reflected Worlds.

Hope that clears it up somewhat for you.

I have been allowed to release some additional information about this subject, so here it is...

When you are on one of our big quests or missions, which are very involved and deep stroylines, you will be in a Reflected World with just your group (up to 8), in a 'reflection' of the entire planet... so far so good.

What I am now allowed to tell you is that you will also be able to adventure in a fully massive multiplayer version of the Reflected Worlds.  When you are out adventuring, or dealing with a Crisis, or Bounty Hunting, or Exploring, or any of the other types of game play offered in Citadel of Sorcery (including just dealing with Morphael's minions, the Fey or Demon Spawn) you will be in a fully massvie multiplayer version of the Reflected Worlds.  In all ways this is the same full world as when you are on a Quest or Mission, but just massvie multiplayer.

We did this to allow our quests and missions to have the depth of a full RPG, but that doesn't mean you can't go adventuring with all the other peopole out there when you so choose.  This is something we haven't really talked about in the past as there were decisions still to be made and we didn't want to claim anything that we weren't acually planning to do, but now this is solid enough that we can release that additinoal piece of news about the game play.  This does not change the game play we have talked about in the past, it only adds this additional element.

P.S.  There is also a note in the dev log about this on our website: www.citadelofsorcery.com

But it does mean other groups could jump in on your quests and fight in the (Above 8 p[layers reflected world) ?

But it does mean other groups could jump in on your quests and fight in the (Above 8 p[layers reflected world) ?

No, not at all.  While on a Quest or Mission you will be in your own RW with just your group.  It is only while doing other things that you can choose to be in a Community RW.  The knids of Adventures you will go on in a CRW would allow cooperative adventures with other groups, or things like Bounty Hunting, where you are hunting down a unique prey that no one else is after, or Monster trapping, or general war combat, or exploration into the Wilds, and more... but not Quests or Missions. 

Quests and Missions are very involved stories using great portions of the world, whole kingdoms at times, and many other major elements.  Thus, we let you have an entire RW for your Quest or Mission, but when you want to go into a massive multiplayer CRW you can do so to work with other players. 

To switch all you need to do is enter any portal, make your choice and step out into another Reflected World.

No, not at all.  While on a Quest or Mission you will be in your own RW with just your group.  It is only while doing other things that you can choose to be in a Community RW.  The knids of Adventures you will go on in a CRW would allow cooperative adventures with other groups, or things like Bounty Hunting, where you are hunting down a unique prey that no one else is after, or Monster trapping, or general war combat, or exploration into the Wilds, and more... but not Quests or Missions. 

Quests and Missions are very involved stories using great portions of the world, whole kingdoms at times, and many other major elements.  Thus, we let you have an entire RW for your Quest or Mission, but when you want to go into a massive multiplayer CRW you can do so to work with other players. 

To switch all you need to do is enter any portal, make your choice and step out into another Reflected World.

So do you still get the same NPCs in the CRW as the RW, I like the options .... also some of these larger creatures to hunt would you still get these in your own RW but they would juust be too hard to kill solo or with a party of 8.

Or will some of the CRW elements just not be in the RW . I understand that the world is massive and some of these may be in your RW but near impossible to get to due to distances unless you have a portal to get within a vicinity ...

Just wondering if the RW and CRW still has the same NPCs, also

So do you still get the same NPCs in the CRW as the RW, I like the options .... also some of these larger creatures to hunt would you still get these in your own RW but they would juust be too hard to kill solo or with a party of 8.

Or will some of the CRW elements just not be in the RW . I understand that the world is massive and some of these may be in your RW but near impossible to get to due to distances unless you have a portal to get within a vicinity ...

That's a really good question.  The answer is that we are trying to keep the Reflected Worlds as similar as possible, so there may indeed be monsters and armies and raiding parties out there that are too tough for you to handle solo or with a small group, but this was already true of the RWs in the first place.  It's a dangerous world out there, with a war going on.  No group can handle everything. 

Comparing this to the real world, imagine that you are a Seal team, one of the best trained military units in the world, taking on insane odds with six to eight members in a team.  No matter how good you are, there are situations where you can't win.   I know this because a friend of mine was a Seal, and the sole survivor of his team twice.   This is similar to our groups of Fallen Heroes.  Compared to most adversaries, you have amazing Abilities, but there are situations beyond your skills, so avoid them, or change the odds, and choose to take on the ones you have a chance to win.

Remember too, that CoS is not a hack and slash game, which is not to say you won't be in a lot of combat, but there are other choices.  You can usee concealment, flight, disguise, ambush tactics and other methods by which you can avoid or change the situation at hand.

That's a really good question.  The answer is that we are trying to keep the Reflected Worlds as similar as possible, so there may indeed be monsters and armies and raiding parties out there that are too tough for you to handle solo or with a small group, but this was already true of the RWs in the first place.  It's a dangerous world out there, with a war going on.  No group can handle everything. 

Comparing this to the real world, imagine that you are a Seal team, one of the best trained military units in the world, taking on insane odds with six to eight members in a team.  No matter how good you are, there are situations where you can't win.   I know this because a friend of mine was a Seal, and the sole survivor of his team twice.   This is similar to our groups of Fallen Heroes.  Compared to most adversaries, you have amazing Abilities, but there are situations beyond your skills, so avoid them, or change the odds, and choose to take on the ones you have a chance to win.

Remember too, that CoS is not a hack and slash game, which is not to say you won't be in a lot of combat, but there are other choices.  You can usee concealment, flight, disguise, ambush tactics and other methods by which you can avoid or change the situation at hand.

Ah so for me the best and coolest outcome would be that the key difference between the RW and CRW is just the number of players that can act together. That way you can discover things in the RW but get larger groups together and head to the location in the CRW.....

Or spend ages in your own RW trying to win agai8nst the odds.

Ah so for me the best and coolest outcome would be that the key difference between the RW and CRW is just the number of players that can act together. That way you can discover things in the RW but get larger groups together and head to the location in the CRW.....

Or spend ages in your own RW trying to win agai8nst the odds.

For the most part, that is correct.  The major difference is just that we load up a massive Quest or Mission into an RW.  Other than that, the two are the very similar worlds, but remember, they are Reflections not duplicates.  This means that it is the same world, but not exact copies of the same world. 

A reflection is not a copy, it's just very close to the same thing.  We have to make this distinction because what people do in one World changes things, and so therefore the reflected worlds may have differences.  Still, for all intents and purposes, they will seem like the same world to you unless you start comparing notes with a player who was just in another RW or CRW. 

There they might have killed a bandit and his men, while in your reflection that bandit escaped and wrecked havoc on a caravan.  So, as you can see, things are not the same, they are similar.  But... geography, llocations and major changes to the world (war, etc) are the same, it's the day to day, minute to minute stuff that varies.  It has to, players are in the world doing things.

One thing to note... you can still do all the other kinds of game play (Adventures, Crisis, etc) in an RW, you will just be doing them solo or with your small group.  If you go to a CRW you can do those things with other players in the world, but you won't be on a major Quest or Mission. 

Where confusion will probably happen is that people who read this will start thinking that the CRWs have no game play in them, this coudln't be farther from the truth.  They are packed with game play, much more than players are likely used to in any other fantasy MMORPG.  Every location in the world can have a new adventure running that day.  We build a new version of the World every day, and if you go out into a a CRW or RW you will likely run into challenges that were not there the day before. 

These are not our Quests and Missions, these are daily happenings that are caused by time moving forward, a war going on, demons trying to reclaim dominion over their human food, Citadel legions trying to quell local uprisings against the Eyes of Darkness, and more.  These worlds are dynamic changing places, and all of that is outside of the Quest and Mission system.

Here, I'll use Lord of the Rings as a story and world example.  While Frodo and cohorts were on their way to destroy the ring the rest of the world was out there.   All the other places that were dealing with Sauron's forces, with dragons, or goblins or wars, all of that was going on, and the world was moving forward in time each day as every country was swept up into the return of Sauron.  In our game if you wanted to take on the mission to destroy the ring of power, you could, and would do that in one of the RWs.  If you instead wanted to just travel to Mirkwood and get invovled with something going on there (perhaps with a lot of other players) in the dark tower that was mentioned back in The Hobbit, then you could go in the CRW.    You could just enter a CRW, head for Mirkwood and have various adventures along the way, only finding out what is actually happening when your reach the tower.   It's the same world, you just choose what you want to do it in, and if it is MAJOR quest undertaking, you do that in an RW, if it is general adventuring, do that in a CRW (or RW, that's your choice).